Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile, still the best F2P game around.

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

As someone who loves mmos. I think POE is by far the best F2P game on the market.

Here is why!

I play both sub based and F2P mmos. Currently finished a tour of Archeage.  While fun, I still find myself returning to POE.

Playing POE is like playing Diablo II on steroids :-D.

It is the only game currently that I go back to. Can have long or short spurts of gameplay.

Best game ever made if you are looking for a replacement game after being burnt out with your mainstream mmo(WOW, Wildstar ect).

While I have played a large variety of mmos. POE is the only game that is consistently addictive and fun! With huge replay value. Could not ask for a better game. Would not be surprised if this game reaches game of the year status again.

Game is completely SOLID all the way through.

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I agree that PoE is not only a very good game, but also has one of the best F2P models on the market.

The replay value however is not that high for me, as i usually take a long break after playing one char into the 40s or 50s.

I think the game could use more content and alternative level zones or acts. I'm not a pro who knows all the fast-leveling spots like grinding the ledge for 10 lvls and such, so doing the 3 bandits for the Xth time or having to play through the same zone i don't like is nothing i want to do over and over.

• Gregor999Gregor999 Member Posts: 86
    PoE's F2P model is amazing, at least for the players. I don't know how they make money as I never see anything I'd consider spending $$ on. Maybe because I found the game to be a much worse D2 and less polished D3. The game is a great skill tree though it just needs to work on much more fluid combat.
  • PongpingPongping Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by xpowderx

As someone who loves mmos. I think POE is by far the best F2P game on the market.

Here is why!

I play both sub based and F2P mmos. Currently finished a tour of Archeage.  While fun, I still find myself returning to POE.

It is the only game currently that I go back to. Can have long or short spurts of gameplay.

Best game ever made if you are looking for a replacement game after being burnt out with your mainstream mmo(WOW, Wildstar ect).

While I have played a large variety of mmos. POE is the only game that is consistently addictive and fun! With huge replay value. Could not ask for a better game. Would not be surprised if this game reaches game of the year status again.

MARVEL HEROES is the best then some Ranks later PoE 

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Pongping

Here is why!

Marvel Heroes is a MMORPG. Path of Exile is a ARPG.  Both are very good games and I play both!

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

Yes, GOOD game.... but very repetitive. I wish there were more starting zones. It gets old after the 4th or 5th character. It is definitely quality F2P.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• mlkjghjmlkjghj Member UncommonPosts: 3

xpowderx said:

I could not have put it better XD

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Im waiting for the next xpac. Then its bottoms up.
  • SubilacSubilac Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I recently came to PoE after a 10 year EQ2 haul. I just hit 60 marauder. Lovin it. Definitely a little too grindy, but I love the extreme difficulty when having to change builds, and gear to get through boss fights. I am at the end of act 6 now, but trying for 61 before the end boss. The skill tree is insane. Don't know why I didn't pick up on this title earlier. Finally a game to keep me active until Pantheon. 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I think PoE is a great example of how F2P should be done. Unfortunately the gameplay loop in PoE is not my cup of tea. I hate the fact that everything centers around ladders, trying different builds and leveling up as quick as possible while getting specific items for your build. It just isn't fun for me to run that content over and over. I really like a loot grind and leveling, but when everyone is so focused on the newest ladder it just doesn't feel fun to have to redo it all over and over. 
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    edited June 2018
    xpowderx said:
    Originally posted by Pongping
    As someone who loves mmos. I think POE is by far the best F2P game on the market. Here is why! I play both sub based and F2P mmos. Currently finished a tour of Archeage.  While fun, I still find myself returning to POE. Playing POE is like playing Diablo II on steroids :-D. It is the only game currently that I go back to. Can have long or short spurts of gameplay. Best game ever made if you are looking for a replacement game after being burnt out with your mainstream mmo(WOW, Wildstar ect).   While I have played a large variety of mmos. POE is the only game that is consistently addictive and fun! With huge replay value. Could not ask for a better game. Would not be surprised if this game reaches game of the year status again. Game is completely SOLID all the way through.

Marvel Heroes is a MMORPG. Path of Exile is a ARPG.  Both are very good games and I play both!

Marvel Heroes was an ARPG just like PoE just with some open world maps. Also how can you call it the best when it got shut down lol?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Nah, GW2 base game is free now I believe so that's definitely it.

PoE does some cool things but at it's heart it is very shallow.  Yes, there are a lot of ways to build your character but the end goal is to make the game as faceroll as possible.  Spamming skills and watching everything around you die in one shot, sometimes even passively.

I don't enjoy gameplay where all of the challenge is in the build.  And when you can endlessly spam skills and kill everything by min-maxing then there's no challenge.

ESO suffers from the same problem, which is part of the reason they made the changes they did in Morrowind.  Infinite (or so much that it's never an issue) sustain with no cooldowns on anything= EZ mode.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

I don't enjoy gameplay where all of the challenge is in the build.  And when you can endlessly spam skills and kill everything by min-maxing then there's no challenge.

I'm not gonna lie and say that isn't the goal of builds, to speed through maps and what not but...you say there's no challenge? I'm sorry but have you played PoE to any end game extent? Like Uber Atziri/Elder? T15 Maps?

There is plenty of challenge in PoE. Obviously it's gonna be faceroll easy if all you do is T5 Maps at lvl 90 with 1000 Ex gear. Just the same that obviously WoW is gonna be faceroll easy if all you do is LFR and heroic dungeons.

When critiquing the difficulty of a game or lack thereof, i think some people need to take a step back and make sure they've actually done the difficult content before speaking on it. Just my opinion though.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      For now i agree , but lets hope Tencent doesnt fuck that all up
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Sephiroso said:

I'm not gonna lie and say that isn't the goal of builds, to speed through maps and what not but...you say there's no challenge? I'm sorry but have you played PoE to any end game extent? Like Uber Atziri/Elder? T15 Maps?

There is plenty of challenge in PoE. Obviously it's gonna be faceroll easy if all you do is T5 Maps at lvl 90 with 1000 Ex gear. Just the same that obviously WoW is gonna be faceroll easy if all you do is LFR and heroic dungeons.

When critiquing the difficulty of a game or lack thereof, i think some people need to take a step back and make sure they've actually done the difficult content before speaking on it. Just my opinion though.

So only the most challenging content in the game should be challenging at all?  That's my point.  It's why I am interested in Lost Ark.  You'll actually have to strategize and use skills in a tactical way because you can't just spam them infinitely as long as you chug potions.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,048
    While normal gameplay may be a breeze the bosses at the end of the acts in Path of Exile can be a little challenging. I think the game is very interesting and I enjoy it a lot and once you start mapping it becomes even more challenging.
    Chamber of Chains
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Would be cool of they mmorpg.com fixed the description. Considering that it both isnt an mmo by definition and the devs have even explained it's not an mmo... like... this sites covers lots of games... but how to you count 16 players in a lobby as an mmo? There isnt even a rationale argument for it be called an mmo. Which again, the devs have covered themselves.

http://pathofexile.wikia.com/wiki/Why_we_hate_being_called_an_MMORPG
  • TroubleHunterTroubleHunter Member UncommonPosts: 70
    I don't get POE. You clean a thousand maps for skills points and gear, the game looks the same on the beggining and at the endgame, you just click on monsters a million times.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    I don't get POE. You clean a thousand maps for skills points and gear, the game looks the same on the beggining and at the endgame, you just click on monsters a million times.
    Pretty much the core gameplay of most any ARPG, no?

Not a whole lot different than most any online game come to think of it.

Huh.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JungleHeartJungleHeart Newbie CommonPosts: 23
    Any of you guys excited for 3.19?

A bit saddened though, have gotten used to a build I followed for Sentinel 3.18 just recently and it means the meta's gonna change again... all for the better, I hope

"Even at his most powerless, man's existence is never without meaning"
    —Suikoden I

Weapons of choice: Series X and Switch