Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coming to Play POE...

BribaryanBribaryan Member Posts: 23

I'm a big Diablo fan.

Biggest reason is this:

"The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win".

Written on their webpage.

I'm curious about pvp, economy, trading...

If anyone can give me cliff notes?

Comments

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

PvP meh....

Economy takes some getting used to.

Trading, equally as difficult as learning the economy.

Fun, yeah has that in buckets, attempting new builds, and attacking the passive tree from different classes is kinda the mainstay of PoE.

The new housing system is much like any other you encountered, and has made crafting much simpler which is a good thing. If you liked Diablo, you should have no issues liking PoE.

• patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142

I can guarantee that it will never be pay2win. The devs have a firm stance against it and they frequently communicate with the community. They made a game that they wanted to play.

Trading is a whole meta game. If you like trading you will like this game. There is no AH, all trades are players to players.

If you like character building, this game is the king of that.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

The game is severly lacking polish and is rough on edges but the major issue is very bad net code :/

Definitely lower quality product compared to D3 but has some nice traits over it's competitior.

• LimitationsLimitations Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I've played the game since closed beta. Spent more than retail on the game, and more since it's release. It's extremely fun. I love it. It's such an expansive game. If you have any in depth questions about the game, please feel free to ask me. My brother and I play this game on a weekly basis, and have multiple high level characters. Sure, the de-sync can be an issue at times, but the other features that shine. 

Who said this won't be perfect after all we know what is right
    And the sounds of bodies clashing is enough to make them cry.
    You know this cannot be perfect even when it is feeling right.
    And the sound of bodies crashing echo through the night.

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

Are you a big diablo fan, or did you like diablo 3 ? Big difference.

If you liked diablo and especially d2, why the fuck didn't you try this already ?

(If you like d3, you aren't a diablo fan. Good game, but horrible diablo)

No pay to win ? Absolutely. The only thing that gets close are stash tabs, which you get 4 per league by default, which gets you pretty damn far. And if it doesn't anymore, new tabs are the cheapest thing in the shop, and are regularly on sale on the weekends.

PvP is ok-ish, but it's an afterthought. There are some arenas, with no permanent death in hardcore. The only way to really PK ppl is on the bandit quests in act 2 so far. You get several seconds of "grace period" after zoning, as long as you aren't moving or using skills you are invulnerable, so swarming a TP or WP with mobs won't work.

The economy and trading is based on bartering. There is no general currency, you trade with items that allow you to modify items ( e.g. one that allows you to reroll the mods on a rare item). Trading and crafting are minigames by itself. The main "currencies" atm are exhalted orbs and chaos orbs. There is a dedicated page for trading in poe.xyz.is (aka poe.trade) .

The game is far from being without flaws (the spermwhale in the room: desync, balance of newly added content, performance issues with stuff like strongboxes, ...) but if you liked d2 it's awesome.

A warning tho: Without a SSD the game gets SIGNIFICANTLY harder, to the point were some game elements can outright kill you before you get  a chance to react (the previously mentioned strong boxes for example).

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Gdemami

The game is severly lacking polish and is rough on edges but the major issue is very bad net code :/

Definitely lower quality product compared to D3 but has some nice traits over it's competitior.

People on this site seem to bash D3 when compared to Path. I find both games alot of fun and their differences is what makes them both really great games. D3 with the latest xpack rocks and lets not forget Torchlight 2 with its mod community. I say play all 3 like me and have a blast and stop compairing them.