Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Damn it's empty

43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

Got a guest pass and gave it another spin.

Made it to lvl 15 so far...and haven't met a single other player. None.

Didn't think it would be that bad.

Comments

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Will be interesting to see what happends, when Tabula Rasa was at this stage NCsoft shut it down, but maybe they'll go f2p/b2p.

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    Yep.. it has dropped insanely since release.. I tried beta and that was enough to say no in my opinion.
  • VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    It demonstrates that you can't sell people re-fried beans in glossy wrapping and convince them it's caviar. 
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

I gave my last EU guest pass to a fellow country man and advised him to roll on Hazak since it's the only realm with a faint pulse. 3 days later he contacts and tells me that he is level 19 in the Galeras map and so far he had crossed paths with 2 players. 

Mega-servers will definitely alleviate the desolation feeling to some extent but WildStar desperately needs players / subscribers. They need to come up with solutions which will bring people into the game and fast. 

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

well i will say this archeage leeched alot of people from other games including tor and wildstar...going f2p at this point might be the best thing...but to be really honest...carbine might want to shop to another published i'd love to see wildstar under the sony all access pass

so say we all

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by cylon8

well i will say this archeage leeched alot of people from other games including tor and wildstar...going f2p at this point might be the best thing...but to be really honest...carbine might want to shop to another published i'd love to see wildstar under the sony all access pass

I cannot see that happening.  I mean if NCSoft were to sell they would want to recoup some of their losses and no-one in their right minds would purchase the rights in its current condition unless it was dirt cheap.  

The way I see it, Carbine (when I say Carbine I doubt they have much creative control any more) will have a finite period to turn the game around and make it profitable (once the development costs have been written off) or it will shut down.  I just wonder how much time NCSoft have given them.    

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Revamp that awful combat and you might have a chance Carbine.
    Chamber of Chains
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Revamp that awful combat and you might have a chance Carbine.

Yup, i couldn't get past level 20 because each and every class i tried had only one weapon - flame thrower.

Also WS feels too game-y. Zones are like stages in an arcade action game, and those 'challenge quests' surely don't help.

All that, if you can beat the bad performance issue; i had to buy a new rig to even try this game. And i did that only because all the promises of hardcore content in WS.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Real smooth move pushing this before B&S NCSoft, real smooth.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Maybe there aren't as many hardcore players out there as they originally thought.  Bad enough the graphics are a turn-off for many people, especially after so many years of it with WoW, but making it hardcore and raid focused has really limited their audience.  Worst of all for me was the carpal tunnel inducing combat.

• HerzyHerzy Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    Real smooth move pushing this before B&S NCSoft, real smooth.

This still ticks me off, yes.

(Not B&S but same artist...image)

Anyway, I find it sad what's going on over at Wildstar because behind the game, there are really talented people involved whose livelihoods are on the line, if things get worse.

I got lots of opportunities to "play" the game before it launched and I couldn't find a hook to keep me playing.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Got a trial key some days ago and installed Wildstar yesterday. So far I'm level 8 or so and have met once another player (I think) for a couple of seconds. It's a pity, somehow I like the game. But without people? Also, it's annoying that you can't use the zone chat early on. That way you feel even more alone.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• sonicwhip2sonicwhip2 Member Posts: 86

I think its pretty dumb that they don't even have a free trial system to let people see the game for free. Not many people today would actually spend money on an mmo unless they get to try it first for free it's just too much of a risk nowadays.

Not that it would help since most people would try the game and decide that it is not worth a subscription fee.

• FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    Originally posted by 43%burnt

Got a guest pass and gave it another spin.

Made it to lvl 15 so far...and haven't met a single other player. None.

Didn't think it would be that bad.

Played at launch and the servers were packed, and everyone seemed excited about it. I think I made it to around 15 also, then due to the horrible lag and subscription model I decided enough was enough. I NEVER thought I'd be reading a huge amount of "RIP Wildstar" threads which seem all the rage these days. It was pretty popular back then with server queues and everything. Truly saddened to see this happening to an original IP like this.

• zixxianzixxian Member UncommonPosts: 6

I too got a pass this week, so far made it to lvl 8 and didn't see anyone around in the first couple of areas, i tried switching servers and eventually found a few lost souls. It's such a shame as you can see from the art and the lore that a lot of people have tried really hard to make this a great game.

the combat is quite annoying and it doesn't feel like the graphics engine is working as it should at times. Also  there are still qiute a few bugs (even in the starting areas). Not being able to chat in Zone was also very annoying, couldn't find people to grp with to quest  which is a killer for an MMO tbh.

i think the best thing they could do now is to do a major overhaul and re-launch it as a BTP or FTP game.

as it stands i can't see Wldstar lasting another 6 months.

BTP or FTP i would give it a run, but Subscription..sorry i wouldn't risk it .

I have to say that i do love the art style and the humour though, (but not the taxi drivers...shut the hell up!!)

• maxjammaxjam Member UncommonPosts: 44

I got Wildstar at launch and quite enjoy it - the graphics/humour etc are all acceptable to me.

The reason I'm not playing now is because of the subscription, the market is crowded with good MMOs and it has to be something really special now-a-days to command a regular fee.

If it went f2p I'd go back and drop some money in the cash shop from time to time but there are just to many other games of similar quality to commit to any one game at the moment.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Volenibblets
    It demonstrates that you can't sell people re-fried beans in glossy wrapping and convince them it's caviar. 

Actually sold it perfectly fine, a better analogy would be. 

Can't feed people refried beans night after night and expect them not to smell the shit.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by maxjam

, the market is crowded with good MMOs and it has to be something really special now-a-days to command a regular fee.

Really? name one.  Not one MMO on the market that wants me to log in and play.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye

, the market is crowded with good MMOs and it has to be something really special now-a-days to command a regular fee.

Not even one? then MMO's are just not your thing, because we seriously have not had such a wide variation of MMO's available in like, ever! if you don't like them now, then chances are, you never will image

• maxjammaxjam Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye

There's a big list of them on this site :P Personally I'm currently playing and enjoying SWTOR, GW2 and Landmark.

The point is Wildstar is imo no better or worse than the majority of the games on the market atm - you can argue whether it is better or worse than SWTOR for example (or whether you hate them both!) but one is f2p and ones not.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    imho i  wouldnt even play it if it were f2p ..its just not a good game
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I wouldn't play it even if it was free. I tried the 7 day trial and I didn't like it at all . Horrible graphic design, horrible performance on a computer that runs games like eso at 1080p on high with 60fps. Wildstar was running with like 20fps at the lowest settings.
    Game was boring too and the idea of raid only endgame didn't appeal to me. Basically there was not a single thing j liked about it. It was that bad.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    It was empty last time I played (3 month mark).  I'm hoping the megaserver will change that.
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Since Beta the devs managed to ostracized the 90% of casual players out there and now they are reaping their harvest. Their lofty goal of this game is only for hardcore payed well, I hope other devs pay attention to this big flop. 90% of your player base is made of casuals and semi-hardcore, only 10% of players are hardcore  and I am been generous because 10% seems too much for me.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

I would definitely play Wildstar if it went free to play.  And Free to play not in the lame way that SWTOR does it.  Completely free, purchase vanity items and other things in a cash shop that do not increase power or enable access to content of the game in anyway.  Free monthly like GW2.  

I played for two months I believe and stopped because I simply don't have the time to dedicate to the endgame grind that is necessary to get anything worthwhile out of the current set up of endgame, which is raids.  I can't justify a monthly sub on the fact that I have little desire to grind out stuff.  

Pre-launch people said "well theres so much to do at endgame other than raiding!  This game has seriously so much other than raiding!  For example, dungeons, quests, dallies, crafting, pvp, housing..."  Right.  Run. Of. The. Mill.  Other than housing, all of that crap is found elsewhere.  Theres absoutely nothing for the casual or solo-skilled player to progress with.  Im dying for a game that provides a solo-player raid-like experience with character progression and gear progression.  This has not been done before.  Quite unique.

Pre-launch everyone said "Zomg I can't wait for 40 mans.  Epic".  Sigh.  I tried to tell them...tried to talk sense into them.  I knew that the 30-40 year olds that actually experienced these raids 10-ish years ago were looking at it with nostalgic rose tinted glasses.  And the 15-25 year olds that never experienced it 10 years ago, had no idea what 40 mans entailed so their zest and hype was completely un justified.  I tried.  Within weeks, no one wanted to raid 40 mans, or could barely get them off the ground.  And now we have the devs contemplating the size of the raids.  Hell, I even tried to talk sense into a dev on Wildstar-central website forums.  That developer from Carbine, that will not be named, laughed at me and sort of mocked me for trying to tell him that 40 mans were just too much for people to handle in todays MMO market.  The attitude of "suck it up buttercup" ran crazy pre launch.  Wheres all of these 40-man hype-ists now?  

Bottom line: Great graphics, great story, great environment, great lore, great combat, cool systems.  I enjoyed it.  End game needs major tweaking to be a little less "hardcore", a little less grindy, a little more forgiving in terms of 5man group play success/failure(if you have played the game you know what Im talking about)  and include casual and solo players a little more.  Criticizing the endgame of Wildstar is actually a sad state of affairs considering they put A LOT of time into it.  Time after time Frost said  that they are focusing on endgame now (this went on for months) because so many games die because of end game."  Well, its happening to wildstar.  Sad.