Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First case of Ebola in the US

CNN is reporting the first case of ebola in the US, suddenly my beef with Trion doesnt seem so big.

Comments

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

not really worried. Time will tell if that is wise or not. But hopefully our medical system is better then Africa's...

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Yawn.

I'm still waiting for the big outbreaks of e coli, swine flu, bird flu, tuberculosis and anthrax the 24 hour news stations were hyping in recent years.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Kinda how I feel, Remember H1N1 and SARS?

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

Well the guy went in to the hospital on the 24th with symptoms. Once you have symptoms with Ebola , your contagious,

They send him home, ooops.

He goes back to the hospital on the 28th, they then diagnose him.

Today on the 1st, they start checking on people he had contact with during the weekend.

Im thinking, if we don't have an outbreak from this one case, we are extremely lucky.

He has  been possibly contagious for at least 7 days since first going to the hospital.

And they told two friend, and they told two friends..............

Anyway he was in contact with several kids over the weekend at his home, who all went to school Monday and Tuesday, and were contacted today, don't know if they were at school or not today, at 4 different schools.

If we were watching this at the movies, we would already know where this is going.

But we may get lucky.

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    A virus like Ebola reaching the U.S is quite distributing.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Precusor
    A virus like Ebola reaching the U.S is quite distributing.

The US Public Health Service is the primary branch of the US federal government that has the regulatory capability of shutting down such distribution by establishing quarantines of portions of the country.  Enforcing those quarantines will be up to other branches of federal, state and local authorities.

Well, that is unless you meant disturbing.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    In the Dallas - Fort Worth area the people who have had contact with the currently quarantined individual are rightly concerned.  The public health community are alert and watching. The rest of us are more concerned about the possibility of tornadoes being generated by the thunderstorms moving through the area.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

Well I've never been too worried about the tornado activity here in North Texas, probably should've been, drove right between the one that split at Azle Ave, hitting Ft Worth and Grand Prairie, the other petering out near Flower Mound.

But this actually does bother me more. Perhaps it's that taking a persons temperature and observing their appearance, constitutes the level of monitoring which is done before a person boards a plane to come to this (or any) country, where a communicable virus is present.

True this virus is transmitted via bodily fluids, making it much easier to contain than an air born. Much easier.

It just concerns me that  the man was actually helping Ebola patients in Africa, and the above mentioned precautions were the limit of the Quarantine.

I would imagine we will contain this. I am hoping that we learn from the mistakes/weak points, in this particular case and improve

Edit: The events in my original timeline have a flaw, the man began having symptoms on the 24th, but first went to the hospital on the 26th, and was sent home.

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186
    Originally posted by dave6660

Yawn.

I'm still waiting for the big outbreaks of e coli, swine flu, bird flu, tuberculosis and anthrax the 24 hour news stations were hyping in recent years.

I see some ignorance in this thread, and this post is a good example of it. There was an outbreak of h1n1 here and a lot of people died horribly from it. The reason it didn't bring us to our knees is BECAUSE people were made aware, took precautions, and got vaccinated. That WAS a close call, but we got through it despite this kind of ignorance. Please elaborate more on this by trying to use the seasonal Flu as false equivalency.

With Bird Flu, that is actually still a very serious concern. Hyper vigilance by hundreds of thousands of professional people, once again, are saving the day and are getting no thanks from the likes of you.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/