Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you believe in Extraterrestrial life?

XavonXavon Member Posts: 334

The God topic seems to be going well, so lets get this Bandwagon a-rolling:

I'll keep the Yes/No format as that seems to help the debate.
Extraterrestrial life rangese from bacteria and plants to animals and ultimatly super intelligent beings.

Comments

• HarasharHarashar Member Posts: 68

I have to say yes for this one.  I mean think how small our planet is and how small our solar system is compared to the galaxy and then compare that to the Universe. 

The odds say that there must be and to say no in my honest oppinion is just us still believing that we are the centre of the Universe that we are far greater than we are.

• AxalaAxala Member Posts: 65

extraterrestrial life is a fact, nothing to believe or not believe. Evidence of amino acids have been found in our solar system alone. Take into account the universe and life exist out there somewhere; it is impossible for it to be any other way. Now intelligent extraterrestrial life is another matter. I personally believe that there is some sort of intelligent life other then ours; just because statistics again say that it is most likely true. Do I believe we have been visited? No, only wackos think that. Is it possible that at one point an alien life-form crashed, and maybe just maybe another came by to check it out and said "fuck this I am out of here" well maybe. But if ETs where visiting we would know it, or we wouldn't. There wouldn't be a select group of mentally unstable that where somehow able to pierce the ETs visage and see them for who they are and not the rest of us. That is fiction folk.

A good question might be where are all the ETs; if there are any? Well let me give you something to think about. Tools, ships, tech in general takes heavier metals. It is pretty hard to make an interstellar craft out of hydrogen. The oldest stars don't have any planets around them with these heavier metals because it took the great pressure of large stars, some fusion, and time to create these heavier metals, that then got thrust into the universe when the start exploded. We are a 3rd generation star system and that seems about right to make the type of planets needed not only to sustain life, but to have the metals needed for tech. Meaning that any intelligent life can't be that much older then us. Also think of this. If we were to decide to go to a planet of cavemen, but didn't want to be seen; would the see us? I believe not. We'd have ways to observe them without being observed ourselves. So would any life as much more advanced then we are. So for us to even recognize an intelligent life form; they'd have to fall within a specific range of technological development. Third; say the closest life was 1,000 lightyears away, a seemingly reasonable figure. Any signals we sent will not reach them for a long long time yet; let alone time for them to answer.

The universe may be teaming with life folk; but it is a very very large place, and the likelihood that any two intelligent species evolve within the same timeframe of one another that are also reachable by conventional means seems small enough to be nil. So will any of us ever see extraterrestrial life? The answer is most likely not.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

According to many, life is not coming from earth, so we are prolly extraterrestrial ourselfs.

No, I dont believe life to be exclusive or majorly concentrated on earth, life on earth is prolly like a pearl of water in an ocean, there must be extremely weird and different lifes and lifeform all accross the Universe.

Is there any ''intelligent'' lifeform with who we could exchange in a form or another is another topic on itself.  We dont exchance much with grass, so I assume some lifeforms will consider us like we consider grass, they will try to make us look ''better'' but well, grass is not even aware of the humans, nor can see the humans or even realize when it have contact with a human.  Nothing to be scared off really, odds are they are not caring at all or wanting to ''help us''...

Personnally I am not sure if I will be happy or unhappy to find another race to ''exchange'' with, didnt we have enought with our governments already?

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• ChopesChopes Member Posts: 297

I do not belive there are extraterrestials because of one reason. We do not exist.

I do not belive in the theory that "I think therefore I am" as well.

http://www.OriginNow.com
    Free File Hosting at Origin Now - 100 Megabyte Max Upload Per File

• vrtldavevrtldave Member Posts: 558

lol chopes brings up an intresting point, we actaully had this discussion on the live chat area... what defines life... think about that for a little bit...

• SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315

I bring greetings to all Earthlings from his Supreme Overlord Phlarg of Epsilon IV. The planet you call Earth is slated for mineral consumption in 3 solar passes. If you value your life please vacate the planet now....

As for there being life elsewhere I would have to say I believe there is. I will even go further and say there is sentient life out there. There is no way that in the infinite amount of galaxies out there that we are the only one's who have become self realising. On some far off distant planet there may be higher evolved lifeforms. There may be lifeforms that are akin to our "caveman" era etc. But out there somewhere are other intelligences.

I cannot say what form they may be. They could be puddles of slime, or translucent floating beings. They could be little green men or whatnot. But eventually we will have contact with someone who is not human. Maybe not in our lifetime or even 100 generations from now but in time we will. I just hope they still remember to name a starship The "Enterprise" by then :p

• fawdfawd Member Posts: 367

Originally posted by Chopes

We do not exist.

...  I dont exist?!?! 

Man, this sucks!

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

Interesting point chopes. Though I'd have to say I can't agree with it.

Some similar food for thought is, can you prove you exist?

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• HatorianHatorian Member Posts: 164
    Extra terrestrials are just our imagination!!! If you see one maybe you are just looking at the mirror.. image I don't believe in them...

Im Amazed..... NOT!!!

• nessedsnesseds Member Posts: 31

Extraterrestrial life is life that may exist and originate outside our planet Earth. Its existence is currently hypothetical: there is as yet no evidence of extraterrestrial life that has been widely accepted by scientists.

Speculative forms of extraterrestrial life range from humanoid and monstrous beings seen in works of science fiction to life at the much smaller scale of bacteria and viruses.

Extraterrestrial life forms, especially intelligent ones, are often referred to in popular culture as aliens or ETs. The putative study and theorisation of ET life is known as exobiology.

imageimageimage

• GoldenblackGoldenblack Member Posts: 38

I know that there's extraterrestrial life. In fact, the earth is swarming with it, and has been for quite some time.

The cool thing is, our cosmic brothers and sisters can be characterized as noble, heroic, loving, peaceful!!!

It will be happy days when we can greet each other in joy, in love, and learn all the hidden wonders!!!

-Golden

• AlcananAlcanan Member UncommonPosts: 268

YES! I have had this talk with other people in the past and there are all types of responses to this question. But I have the opinion that since there are so many planets in the univerise there has to be at least one other that has life on it. Thousands of worlds in thousands of systems why should our little planet be so special. Just my humble opinion.

Alcanan

"The True North Strong and Free"
    "Faith Manages"

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Belief is such a subjective term, I hate getting caught up in it.

I am a logic based skeptic with a completely open mind.

Like I said in the God thread, I respect everyones "beliefs" and would never say "man your a nutbag" for believing in anything... its your choice. Just be sure your basing your beliefs on your study and not on what someone else tells you to believe and youll be happy!

I find the likelyhood of God's existence based on the available evidence to be so unlikely as to not even warrant serious consideration. However in order to come at this from a position of knowledge instead of uninformed opinion (which is what belief and faith are) I have read the bible several times, the quoran twice and many other religious and theological texts. I remain completely unconvinced by any of it.

As for "extra terrestrial life". Well I like this one because you can actually apply a fair bit of logic to it and also we are on the cusp of being able to test these theories by exploration of our solar system.

Mathmatically speaking the chances of life existing in some form or another on other planets is overhwelmingly positive. In fact if you simply consider that we only know detailed information about one solar system, our own and that in this solar system one of the known planets contains a great diversity of life. The chances of other solar systems having a similar ratio of life is of course.... similar. You dont need to be Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawkings love child to grasp that.

So given that the universe contains (as far as we are concerned) an infinite number of solar systems and planets the chances of NONE OF THEM harbouring life of some sort is almost unimaginable. In fact it is far more likely than not, by a factor of 1 to the 100000000000000000000000000 power that life is teeming throughout the universe.

Interestingly, given the presumed age of the universe as we know it and given the relative youth of both Earth an our species, we are probably at the very low under developed end of the universes life scale. We are the primordial soup of the Milky Way.... the Plankton of the galaxy if you will image

Douglas Adams has presented a chillingly mathmatically probable look at life in this universe in Hitch Hikers Guide (now popular damnit... coz it was better when only geeks like me knew about it). As usual with my mindset... I would not be at all surprised if his view of life is closer to the truth than not.... Logic, reason and maths, suggest hes probably spot on... and that we will be zapped aside for an interstellar expressway anytime now.

I would be unsurprised by this as I would be equally unsurprised at the existence of a god...Thats the beauty of keeping an open mind.  Like I said though... the evidence favours one a lot more strongly than the other... Ochams Razor cuts this one so cleanly it will be a few seconds before the blood flows image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• rbh1138rbh1138 Member Posts: 13
    First of all we have had contact with someone who's not human carrot top that dude is freaky looking, but to answer the question I just was recently watch a informative show on Science channel that Discovery does and they were serching the galaxy for Molecular water that is something that has to be present for life and all other things on earth and our solar system is full of it but it seems everywhere else they scanned with there equipment it is very low probably to low for life. so if there is life them son of a bitches are really far out there I mean Far far far out there I doubt there is Life in our galaxy well atleast life that could tell us there out there the show howdy doody and other signal's from the 50's is the first thing there going to see if they are intelligent and have the stuff to pick up the signal's. If I saw Howdy Doody I would not respond to it, that show was stupid. Plus I think war between humans is enough, we don't need Aliens coming into the picture and ruining our little picnick we got going.
  • XavonXavon Member Posts: 334

do not belive there are extraterrestials because of one reason. We do not exist.

I do not belive in the theory that "I think therefore I am" as well.

Reminds me of a Joke:

Descarte walks into McDonalds and asks for a Big Mac,
    Guy behind counter says: "do you want Fries with that?"
    Descarte repliesd "I think not..."

And disappears.

Oh, how we laughed at that one. Sorry for tearing my own post so far off-topic.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433
    How annoyed would they be when our radio waves reach them!  Can you start to realize how they would react from been spammed endlessly with Elvis Presley for 50 years!  Gah, where are the nuclear shelter? image

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Ok, I want you to imagine something say a bird or some insect. Now think of youself being that bird or insect. Can you imagine youself being a bug if you sat there for hours thinking it? What is to prevent me from saying that I imagined you. You don't really exist, but I do, and you are just a figment of my imagination.

Many other possibilitys are there. There is no real reason to our existance in our mind other then to gain energy and then one day lose it.

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

I couldn't care less if there is extraterrestrial life as long as they don't bother Earth

but if they did of course humans would win, humans always win, go watch some sci-fi movies lol image

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

Originally posted by CactusmanX
    I couldn't care less if there is extraterrestrial life as long as they don't bother Earth
    but if they did of course humans would win, humans always win, go watch some sci-fi movies lol image

Well if there really is extraterrestrial life, I wonder if they are intelligent. Intelligent in our tearms that is.

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

Originally posted by Chopes

Well if there really is extraterrestrial life, I wonder if they are intelligent. Intelligent in our tearms that is.

don't know I just used the stereo typical hollywood aliens, if there were ETs it could be anything really like a germ

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

i believe.
    i think we were planted here.
    i think we are probably a million years+ behind some civilizaions we cant even get off this rock, we send tiny robot with a kodac to the next little rock and it blows our minds.
    i also belive monster is in my closet though.

i also think elvis rules.

• Kite22Kite22 Member Posts: 90
    who even came up with the idea of extratarestrials? <---(i cant spell worth shit but ok) when they first talked about it everyone must have thought the person was a crack head.
  • AlcananAlcanan Member UncommonPosts: 268

Just becouse there is life on other worlds doesn't mean it is the same as life on earth. Most likely it would be totally different and might not even be recoginized as life if humans where to find it. Just becouse something is different doesn't mean it isn't sentient...If that makes sense...

Like others have said already life doesn't realiatically mean human like. For all we know thier could be humdreds of different life forms all different, all intelligent and so totally different from humans and they from us we might not even recognize them if we say them. Oh well only time will tell on this I guess...

Alcanan

"The True North Strong and Free"
    "Faith Manages"

Prove to me that we already know what life is, before we can start identifing other life.

• Fat_BuddhaFat_Buddha Member Posts: 60
    yes, there is deffinatly extraterestrails (<---- spelling) do live out there. of course the universe is soo big that it is impossible for us to be alone. and people that are too arrogant and close-minded cant seem to think that. its all too obvous that there is other intellegent forms of life in the universe.