Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hero's Journey: CEO on Our Boards

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

David "NSXDavid" Whatley is the President and CEO of Simutronics - the company making Hero's Journey - and we caught him sneaking around our very own Hero's Journey Discussion Forum as he answered some fan posts.

On Player Property, Instances, Common Areas & More

We do plan player owned property. What isn't decided on is the exact form it'll take. But, keep in mind, we invented this (see GemStone III), so like everything else in HJ, we'll be making it very cool. Ideas are, as always with us, eagerly welcomed!

Hero's Journey uses instances for quests (others call them missions). But there will be plenty-o common space to run around in and hunt. The very-cool-thing is that we'll be adding more space all the time. And I mean... ALL THE TIME. The key to Hero's Journey is that it is built around an extremely powerful toolset that is exposed to our GameMaster teams. They build the world. And keep building it. Once we launch, that doesn't change... the world just keeps getting bigger and more detailed. And features flow in constantly. Again, see GemStone III, DragonRealms, etc. for examples of how we have mastered this craft.

Hero's Journey is bringing what we've done in our text based games to the world of graphical MMORPGs. It is really a whole ball game... as everyone who was it at E3 can attest.

The Vision

When I sat out to create the vision for Hero's Journey, I always had it in my head that we needed to push this genre forward. Others would be successful at just refining the EQ model, and even become quite wealthy as a result. But I'm not one to take the easy road. I think you'll find we packed HJ with so much "damn, why didn't anyone else do THAT before" stuff that you'll have the same reaction as those we showed it to at E3.

The day when you can just recreate the same old thing over and over again are coming to an end. I hope to be a part of putting a stop to it. ;)

Hero's Journey On Tour?

We will be showing HJ at Simucon. Essentially the same demo we showed at E3. Plus we're going to be doing a press tour as well. If there is enough interest, we could setup some public showings in various towns around the country....

We want to thank David for dropping by our boards and encourage you all to join him and other fans in the on-going discussions.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios