Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO really gae you the feeling you were at home?

FyendiarFyendiar Member UncommonPosts: 250

For those wondering, I am absolutely not talking about which the best MMO is. I am talking about the last MMO that gave you the feeling...  "I belong here, I feel at home here".

It can be come from a game itself or the luck of the draw of the cards found the right guild.

For me the last was in World of Warcraft even though I personally no longer see it as the best mmo. The reason I felt at home in WoW had nothing to do with the game an everything with the persons in the guild.

What was your last "home" and why?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    That would be EVE for me, I always can return and feel like I can just pick up where I left off.

Sure, some things change, but by and large core gameplay remains the same with little retraining or catchup required.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Guild Wars 2 has everything I look for in an MMO.

Could use a little more difficult group PvE content though. Game is a little bit to easy at the moment.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Wurm Online.

(Even though I would like to drop kick.... nvm.)

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Ultima Online and then after that the only other game i've ever felt like this is it would be EVE Online.
  • FyendiarFyendiar Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    That would be EVE for me, I always can return and feel like I can just pick up where I left off.

Sure, some things change, but by and large core gameplay remains the same with little retraining or catchup required.

I always wondered since I only played the trial ages ago, when you take a break... do you stay a customer since from what I hear (yeah total newb in this regard) you level up while not playing....?

• InfiniteStrifeInfiniteStrife Member UncommonPosts: 36

Vanilla WoW and TBC made me log in pretty much every day, both because of the gear, the raiding, the pvp and the guild.

These days WoW is just a shadow of itself and once in a while when i log in I cant stand playing more than a few days before I log out.

Ive played pretty much every single mmo post WoW and theyve all failed to grab my attention long term. 

Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Could use a little more difficult group PvE content though. Game is a little bit to easy at the moment.

Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Wurm Online.

But what part of those games makes it feel like you are "at home" so to say?

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

EQ - absolute.

DAOC - very nearly absolute.

to much lesser extent SWG and lesser still Wow.

barely existent in EQ2.

None since.

BTW -- played lost of games in between some of those and a whole lot since.

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

As lame and imperfect as it is, DDO for me. Been there 8+ years now. Just keep coming back to it. I've tried the WoW killers and hot newness that was supposed to usurp all others...and they just didn't feel like home.

edit- Just the guild I'm in and all the other friends I've made over the years.

Guys/galls, in case I was not clear enough... I am not asking what you consider the best mmo, but what the reason was or is that you feel at home in that mmo. :)

edit: no offence ment to the replies so far btw!

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    EverQuest, before the Planes of Power expansion and Dark Age of Camelot, before the Trials of Atlantis expansion.  No other game has given me that sense of total immersion and feeling like an online home.

• caine6621caine6621 Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Star Wars Galaxies.  I had a home, people knew where I lived.  I had neighbours.  If I wasn't in my house I was at the cantina.  I would sit there and within a couple minutes a friend I knew would walk in the door.

There are only 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I already have a home in rl, and don't need one in games. I prefer to have many fun games ... none "a home" that ties me down.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

Rift for me. Especially now that I have a nice Dimension there.

The scenery and art make it feel like an organic world (Morso on the 50+ zones). The graphics are also organic, for instance rocks and sand look like Rocks and Sand, Water looks like water. Many games do this, but sometimes things can look too computerized, or blocky etc.

Keep in mind that is on Ultra settings.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by Fyendiar

Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Wurm Online.

But what part of those games makes it feel like you are "at home" so to say?

I determine my own Path. I find a spot in the (virtual) world and make it my own. I defend it or I build a guard tower that houses guards that help me defend it. I create my home .. LITERALLY... by crafting it wood plank by wood plank.

I need a good sword... so I find an iron vein, I mine the ore, smelt it, heat it in a forge I made myself, craft the blade, attach the handle, improve the sword... hammer out the irregularities, temper it, sharpen it, polish it. How good of a blade it is is up to me, not some Dev.

It feels the most like home because in Wurm I made it my home. No hand holding. No Dev to "funnel me" through content or from one area of the world to another. If I succeed or fail it's on me. If I choose to see new lands I build a boat or a ship and I go see new lands on my own terms.

I can't explain it any better than that.

• ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Lord of the Rings Online held a cozy place in my heart.   Something about the music, landscape, world I found very peaceful and relaxing.   I felt a real affinity with my nice cozy cottage.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Wurm Online.

which ironically enough is also the MMO in which I actually own property (aka 'home')

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

What was your last "home" and why?

APB: Reloaded

I think the aspects of a virtual world that make it feel like 'home' for me are

A) a crowd of regulars that I can get to know either as friends, acquaintances or just familiar faces. APB:R isn't as tiered as most level-based MMOs. Actually, your real level isn't your rank, but how well you play, so the crowd doesn't shift that much at my tier (Silver) other than those few passing through to higher skill levels. 

B) a town/zone that is still as usable/beneficial to me at cap as it is when I first took a liking to it. I like WoW's crossroads. I like Fallen Earth's Clinton Farms and Depot 66. The vampires and other mobs of TERA's Poporia are fun to fight/farm. All of them are just passing sights, as most MMOs are designed to not only incentivize players to continue on but actually penalize them if they don't.  In APB:R, I like the Financial District and, just like in an FPS or RTS, I can still gain rewards and progress my character if even if I never go to another map/zone/region/etc. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Vanilla WoW, for sure.... played with Aussies all through the night, made some of the best friends ever in game, literally was addicted to the game, well let's be more accurate, addicted to playing the game with my new found friends.  That was the real ticket... the fun we had together literally doing whatever popped into our heads... even at 4AM... totally could play with them 24/7 and did on a number of occasions.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

SWG - First MMO

EQ2 - Second MMO, first one where I really started to get into guilds and the community

Vanilla WoW - Part of a few great guild communities... and one not so great one.

TOR - Raid leader for over a year with a bunch of great guys

GW2 - Guild leader for a while with some really personal relations

Age of Wulin - Part of a very tight-knitted and competitive guild

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

The question though is what the reason was that you felt at home?

Was it the game?

Your friends?

Was it the guild?

Was it the ease to find either?

Maybe it was just the ease of use?

Etc?

Btw, sorry to seem like a nuisance, but I am really curious!

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

EVE Online always and forever.

I've always felt... tangential in other games.  In EVE, every time I blow another player up, I'm effecting the game on multiple levels.  Economically, politically and emotionally.  No other game gives that kind of kinetic feedback.

Other games:  Wipe on the boss.  Yawn.  Respawn.  Try again.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

After EA poisoned DAoC and I left... and Turbine murdered Middle Earth Online in the womb and shat out LotRO, I wandered for a long time before finding Vanguard. Everything about that game (except the lack of good PvP) clicked, and I felt at peace.

Just sitting in Rindol field listening to the music, or hunting ents in the forest while talking to people in my group, instead of quest grinding. I was home.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654

For me it would have to be EQ.  I spent four years in that game, only leaving to try a trial for another MMO every now and again.  I never lasted until the end of the trial periods, before going back to EQ.  To answer the OP's question why it felt like home, for me it would have to be the community.  The majority of players I ran in to were helpful.  There was always someone willing to help with a rez, corpse run etc.  It was a time when pugging was a pleasure and not a dirty word.  Most of my memorable experiences from EQ was in a pug.  I never raided so wasn't around to experience any guild drama.  I loved the slow pace nature of the game once you broke the camp which allowed you to get to know the group a bit better.  I actually miss (group) camp grinding.  I prefer it to quest (solo) grinding which is a staple of  the most recent MMO's.  I miss the sense of danger when in a zone from roaming higher level mobs and trains.  IMO modern MMO's it's all about running instances quickly and efficiently. Now when I run an instance I usually say two words; hello and goodbye.

The only other game to give me welcome home feeling is VG and to a lesser extent EQ2 and LOTRO.  The majority of other MMO's I'm lucky to last a few months before leaving to find another place to call home.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    GW2 gives me the feeling im home.

This discussion has been closed.