Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I was thinking of re rolling to get off my dead server but then i saw this...

ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390

image... i  don't even know where to re roll anymore. I have stopped my sub for now but still got two weeks of play time left.  Where do i go now? my server where i have my main is completely dead. I saw total of 5 people in Thayd in last 6 days.

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

wow. that is telling..

well I still hold the position that its the mostly the art style choice that has made most gamers not interested but in all fairness I said the same thing about WoW

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Tyr216Tyr216 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

wow. that is telling..

well I still hold the position that its the mostly the art style choice that has made most gamers not interested but in all fairness I said the same thing about WoW

It's not the art style that killed it for me. It was the boring grind.

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

wow. that is telling..

Artwork isn't the problem here but their effort to appease a very small minority in end game. I love the leveling experince, so now i want to play dominion side for the story. Gameplay is fun but end game is not.

If they were going to appease a minority they should have opened servers in accordance to that.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    woah .....is really that empty? i feel sorry for current players
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

As has been mentioned elsewhere and often in these forums, the focus on "hardcore" raiding for endgame will doom any mmorpg in today's market to a very small niche.

At WoW's height of popularity, what percentage of the player base was into "hardcore" raiding?

EDIT: By the way, was that North American prime time? Even if it is Oceanic prime time, it doesn't look good for the Oceanic server.

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by d_20

As has been mentioned elsewhere and often in these forums, the focus on "hardcore" raiding for endgame will doom any mmorpg in today's market to a very small niche.

At WoW's height of popularity, what percentage of the player base was into "hardcore" raiding?

According to Blizzard's own admittance very few percentage of people participated in hardcore raiding in comparison to total population. But then again it has been 8 years now and that kind of raiding doesn't seem to be popular anymore.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

They overestimated the popularity of the Hardcore raiding portion of the MMO by a great deal.  It's fine to have a game that wants to focus on it, but the main problem was not just the attunement process, but the fact that they tried to mimic and advertise the 40 man raiding system when even WoW couldn't sustain those numbers.

If they had made them 20 man, then there would be a lot more guilds out there and more people raiding as a whole.  Not only do you have to get 40 people who are ready to raid, but also the problems with schedules and people inevitably being late.  Then people who are benched seek a new guild or leave the game when they realize most of the numbers are in the guild they're in.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

They overestimated the popularity of the Hardcore raiding portion of the MMO by a great deal.  It's fine to have a game that wants to focus on it, but the main problem was not just the attunement process, but the fact that they tried to mimic and advertise the 40 man raiding system when even WoW couldn't sustain those numbers.

If they had made them 20 man, then there would be a lot more guilds out there and more people raiding as a whole.  Not only do you have to get 40 people who are ready to raid, but also the problems with schedules and people inevitably being late.  Then people who are benched seek a new guild or leave the game when they realize most of the numbers are in the guild they're in.

I was a avid raider back in the days of vanilla WoW when the game was still in its infancy. And even back then getting 40 people together was a huge bitch not to mention time consuming, oh,  was it time consuming. Why WildStar chose that route is mind boggling. No wonder that screen shows low pop across the board. I feel bad for the players. WildStar brass needs to make that a top of the list priority.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Honestly carbine deserves this.  They boasted so hard about producing the greatest MMO with the most content, and the most hardcore game ever and fell flat on their face for trying to copy vanilla WoW.  Apparently since they worked on vanilla WoW, they should know how bad it did in sales compared to the expansions that followed.  

Getting 40 people on the same schedule is not hardcore.  Grinding is not hardcore.  Telegraphs out the ass are not hardcore, and lastly the absolute joke lore and atmosphere is not hardcore or memorable in the slightest.   I said this ship would sink way before it even launched, this doesn't surprise me at all.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I was Raiding in Age of Conan - how often can you do the same thing over and over?
    I could do it for about 15 months and have never raided again since then!

The Devs need to understand the Leveling goes to fast while the "Ding" is sort of a Goal for some kind of People and that Playerpool is bigger than the PvP/Raiding-Pool.

You have to offer "Fake Levelling" for a very long time to keep Players "Dinging" while they do not grow to far away from new Players (a "Horizontal Progression" hidden in an unlimited "Vertical Progression").

But the market is that crowded the "Perfect Storm" is unlikely to happen...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by Thestrain

image... i  don't even know where to re roll anymore. I have stopped my sub for now but still got two weeks of play time left.  Where do i go now? my server where i have my main is completely dead. I saw total of 5 people in Thayd in last 6 days.

Not that I care one bit about this particular game.. but are all the servers this sparsely populated 24/7?.. Could be that you looked at a bad time.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Honestly carbine deserves this.  They boasted so hard about producing the greatest MMO with the most content, and the most hardcore game ever and fell flat on their face for trying to copy vanilla WoW.  Apparently since they worked on vanilla WoW, they should know how bad it did in sales compared to the expansions that followed.  

Getting 40 people on the same schedule is not hardcore.  Grinding is not hardcore.  Telegraphs out the ass are not hardcore, and lastly the absolute joke lore and atmosphere is not hardcore or memorable in the slightest.   I said this ship would sink way before it even launched, this doesn't surprise me at all.  

As a whole, I concur with this quote.  What they need to do now is merge servers, work on a system that allows number diversity (such as having raids be flexible with how many people who are online at the moment.  Numbers do not equal hardcore, the difficulty is the main factor there) and institute a way whereby people are commended or rewarded for helping others get the attunement for raiding.

When that is all said and done, improve many other social outlets (as well as the housing, as Breaking Dawn mentioned) and casual things to do and work on getting numbers back that will make use of all of this.  Whether that is becoming B2P or F2P or figuring out something to get people back without that.  Just so long as it's done, as it's important to have a large pool of players capable of raiding before raiding is even viable.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Game doesnt seem good enough to subscribe with. I would probably buy it if it was B2P but in its current state its not worth it. We havent heard alot about future content and continueing additions. ESO has done good on adding content, but really i think every thing they are adding should have been in game at a launch. I plan to play eso in 6 to 8 months after beta 2.0 is finished.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I see them going to keep the same path as there going much they can pull with more content, with little and small change to get players back and new players in, but when start seeing lay off or anything like that start seeing they game maybe f2p or b2p, or other hand stay sub.

But if they go any of the f2p or b2p they may end up losing more people then what they have now even faster, if they don't change the game it self, but I don't see that in the card for them yet.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    another themepark bites the dust?
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

It's the linear questing that killed this game for me; didn't make it even to level 15.

Other than that, telegraphs in all skills, mass looting, too fast exp curve, etc.

WS is one of the better games released lately, but i guess this modern themepark design is just too much for me.

Can't really blame any of those 'hardcore' features, since i never even reached that part of the game.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

the low pop does not surprise me

for me it was the game style / grafix itwas way too much of a ripoff of wow..even the new content they are adding looks like old wow zones..it so blatant they dont even care and the way the storys told their selfs were a joke...i mean really 9 times outta 10 they turned everything into a corny joke like a annoying clown with a bike horn that never goes away..i know its a game but how can you take your game play serious if the game is "so blatantly not serious" it sometimes makes you / me wonder what audience they were trying to attract

i bought it and got 5 toons to lvl 30+ and quit in 2 1/2 weeks and imho i dont even think id play it if it was f2p

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

I think the reason is much more basic than the games themself.

People who will switch to new mmorpgs are by definition people who don't stick to a game when it doesn't have new content to play.  So they likewise won't stick with the new game either.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• Shayyd80Shayyd80 Member Posts: 110
    geez i feel bad for Wildstar. I bought it, played it a few weeks, then didn't resub and not because i didn't like it. I just didn't feel like playing it. It was good though but... nothing new or innovative, quest hubs suck. 
  • XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152

Try Pergo, perhaps you looked at a low time.  those "low" statements reflect the population when you check.  There are always both factions around me when im doing dailies on the pergo server, and plenty of good open world pvp to be had.

• rnor6084rnor6084 Member UncommonPosts: 111

Other games will take notice of this disaster.

Hardcore players really are a minority and are just not important to a games success any longer.

I say good riddance.

• rnor6084rnor6084 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by Xyire

Try Pergo, perhaps you looked at a low time.  those "low" statements reflect the population when you check.  There are always both factions around me when im doing dailies on the pergo server, and plenty of good open world pvp to be had.

There's always "that guy" that is in complete denial and uses this excuse to try to explain the obvious problem away.

• XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Originally posted by rnor6084
    Originally posted by Xyire

There's always "that guy" that is in complete denial and uses this excuse to try to explain the obvious problem away.

Huh, that's an interesting take on what I said.    I Was not claiming the population in wildstar is high, merely that there is population to play with on specifically the server Pergo.  My response is an answer to the OP's question of where to reroll.  From what I hear every server but pergo is dead.

But as you say, there's always "that guy" on forums, in this case "that guy" being an ass for no reason when someone tries to actually answer the OP's question.

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Originally posted by d_20

EDIT: By the way, was that North American prime time? Even if it is Oceanic prime time, it doesn't look good for the Oceanic server.

agreed. Thing that kills me is gaffney said over and over again how the hardcore raiding community is the smallest portion in an mmo......yet lets design the game to cater to who?

For me the housing was the only part of the game that for me was impressive,but i couldn't enjoy so much of everything else i just gave up on the game.

maybe i missed this somewhere but are these populations at prime time?

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

I just found the game irritating.  It was so needy, so desperate for your attention all the time that it exhausted me; it felt like some hyper-active toddler constantly tugging on your sleeve shouting "Look at me! Look at me!"  

There was lots wrong with the game; it bought nothing new to the genre (in fact it regressed), quest pathing was poor, combat was repetitive and tedious, pvp was a clusterfuck, there were irritating messages constantly screaming at you to complete some trivial crap etc etc.  And all of that before I even got to the overlong attunement timesink or the 40 man endgame.  

Hardcore is part of the reason I left, I knew I did not have the time and was not having enough fun in the game to bother with the timesinks at endgame.  But most of the reason I left was that the game just was not fun.