Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

If only they had geniuses like McQuaid and Gotte Godager on this

ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common
If they only had some truly legendary game designers, game artists, really, on this, I wonder if it would be out sooner or even by now.

Comments

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,565Member Uncommon

The real geniuses who code algorithms that run the game's systems are very seldom "well known" names in the industry - they are devs that  players never hear about.

The real brains behind most MMORPGs are completely unknown to general public - listed in game credits - yes, but not in public's eye.

• Superman0XSuperman0X San Jose, CAPosts: 1,606Member Uncommon

Originally posted by ReallyNow10 If they only had some truly legendary game designers, game artists, really, on this, I wonder if it would be out sooner or even by now.

I am not sure if this is a troll, or just reality challenged.

• ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common
    Serious as a heart attack.  Without the guys who gave us EQ or Age of Conan, we're just "hoping" things will turn out good.  Sometimes, you need to bring in "the vision" into a product.
  • AlleinAllein San Diego, CAPosts: 1,664Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    Serious as a heart attack.  Without the guys who gave us EQ or Age of Conan, we're just "hoping" things will turn out good.  Sometimes, you need to bring in "the vision" into a product.

Don't disagree, but to call any of them geniuses is a bit much for me. Sure they did some amazing stuff for gaming, but considering the majority of the ideas came from PnP/Muds and single player RPGs, wasn't a huge step into mmos. Just a matter of tech and the know how to get it done. With that said, I'd go with Raph Koster, didn't play his games much, but wish I had. UO/SWG seem much more in line with what EQN is bringing than EQ.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Vista, CAPosts: 650Member Uncommon
    If they only had some truly legendary game designers, game artists, really, on this, I wonder if it would be out sooner or even by now.

Are you out of your mind? lol Brad was only good on EQ and he wasn't even the main driving force.  He was one of many that made that game great.  His game Vanguard was a fucking train wreck and so is his new kickstarter.

And AoC was another disaster of a game that took years to even get put on a decent path.  If those guys were helping out the game would probably be a buggy fucking mess.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• TrixxellTrixxell no where, MIPosts: 15Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

Are you out of your mind? lol Brad was only good on EQ and he wasn't even the main driving force.  He was one of many that made that game great.  His game Vanguard was a fucking train wreck and so is his new kickstarter.

And AoC was another disaster of a game that took years to even get put on a decent path.  If those guys were helping out the game would probably be a buggy fucking mess.

+1 to that.

• TheBlackWolfTheBlackWolf West Columbia, SCPosts: 37Member Uncommon
    Hahahahahahahahahaha, i'm so glad Brad is nowhere near this game, we don't need "the vision" on this.
  • reeereeereeereee Posts: 1,206Member Uncommon

Wait, so you think adding a developer known for biting off more than he can chew and being forced to release unfinished games would make EQN much closer to being released than it is now?  Fascinating conclusion, how exactly did you reach it?

• Gallus85Gallus85 Winter Park, FLPosts: 1,092Member

Pretty sure it's a troll attempt.  SOE has a lot of highly trained professionals working on EQN and it's not like EQN has even been in production that long, especially considering that MMORPGs have generally longer development times and EQN is trying to innovate in multiple areas.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• DragonMyth88DragonMyth88 Orlando, FLPosts: 242Member Uncommon

Maybe they should have got Jay Wilson he can perfectly execute any game with his axe and cowl :)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,783Member Uncommon

Now McQuaid is a genius?

what am i missing here?...

• Effin_RabbitEffin_Rabbit Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 773Member Uncommon
    Brad McQuaid... that's not even funny.
  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 20,008Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

Now McQuaid is a genius?

what am i missing here?...

You've stepped beyond the shadows, and into "the Twilight Zone"

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,783Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano

The real geniuses who code algorithms that run the game's systems are very seldom "well known" names in the industry - they are devs that  players never hear about.

The real brains behind most MMORPGs are completely unknown to general public - listed in game credits - yes, but not in public's eye.

i totally agree with you here. Sure the well known names out there know their stuff, but the real brains can only be seen by the players reading the credits.

Anyway, playing along the OP, if i have to call a well known dev a genius it would be Hideo Kojima or Hidetaka Miyasaki. Not McQuaid....

• NetspookNetspook OsloPosts: 1,503Member Uncommon

Anything Brad's involved in lately = vaporware, borderline scams.

Not sure if OP is trolling or just stuck in the past.

• PAL-18PAL-18 AnachronoxPosts: 802Member

Would be nice to see Gaute God back in business some day.

But working for SOE,no thanks.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.
    By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar:http://cyberpunk.net/**

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Uncommon

You attempt to slash the vision but miss

the vision hits you for 999 damage!

You have died

Loading, Please wait.

• oilthuoilthu ChesterfieldPosts: 39Member

i'll take the 'Klug' over both of those any day of the week.

Twitter:@StevenKlug

• DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member

It's kind of genius to take credit for so many other peoples work. Brad is know for being the man behind EQ but who knows how much of that game is actually his or did he just nod his head at the right time when  a real genius was talking.

History tends to like to give credit to as few people as possible. It saves space after all.

• RydesonRydeson Canton, OHPosts: 3,858Member Uncommon

Yeah.. I"m not sure I would give all the credit that EQ earned to Brad..  There were a lot of people involved in making that game, and it appears that most were on the same page as well..  I wouldn't give Henry Ford credit for where Ford is today either.. Same logic.. The one thing I do think hurts most games today tho is a lack of defined vision..  Oh sure many talk about it, claim they have it, etc etc..  but often the games feel blurred.. Is the game a PvP game? or a PvE game? Is it an arcade, or a RPG, is it a sandbox or a themepark or somewhere in the middle of ALL this crap? 

I feel games today are so obsessed with marketing to everyone, they can't stay focused on a specific demographic market and be excellent in that ONE area..  As the saying goes.. You can please some of the people all of the time.. and all the people some of the time, but you can't please ALL of the people ALL of the time..   Which is exactly what devs are trying to do these days anymore..

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade KingsmouthPosts: 2,646Member Uncommon

Poor code monkeys. I was thinking of them the other day when someone was talking about how much the "new" Bioware sucks since all the "big names" like Casey Hudson and the Doctors are gone.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)