Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The 5 Worst Types of MMO Players

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Ah gads the marathon man is the worst, and usually they are elitist.  The warning signs are easy to spot:

- They complain about being slowed down.  They expect others to want to run through an instance at the exact speed as them.

- They refer to people as noobs, use the term 'casual' as a negative. Their advice usually revolves around being 'faster'.

They complain because about a player not knowing tactics after 1 half arsed attempt to explain (if at all)  If a mistake is made they show 0 empathy.

They say things like 'OMG',  'WTF' and 'You are wasting my time' a lot. 

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by LovrNoFightr
    Fanboys are the worst.

Haters are even worse.

they're just opposite sides of the same coin.

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

Three of these things are the same player on different days.

Now the worst kind are players that think your time is valueless.

Lets invite this guy to our party!

Five minutes later

Oh you have to take out your laundry? Oh you need a smoke break? its dinner time? look at that you got a text message from your sister. awww look at that kitty video.

You either joined to play the game or not don't throw other peoples time away.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    # 2 is spot on for me.  I truly think they either don't ever look at the chat or they turn it off.  What human being doesn't respond to a question or something stating their name?  It makes no sense.  Even someone language challenged will try to respond in way shape or form.  I truly think these type of players, and there are TONS of them, just either ignore chat altogether, can't read, or turn off the chat window.  Otherwise...it just makes no real sense whatsoever.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

I agree with everything on the list.  But I can say with a fact I am one of the cricket players a lot of the time.  The only exception I will make about anything that I say following is that I do not do this when in a group for dungeons etc... there communication is the key to success.

But if I am running around doing quest etc..... by myself and I am guildless there are probably two reasons.  One I am new to the game or two I just want to be left alone and play on my own for a while.  The first one it is nice to have people to talk to, but if I am in the second category I probably just want to be left alone.  I will usually say hey or wave back to people but if I am out questing I don't want random invites from people to do quest or talk.  Sometimes even though it is a multiplayer game I will play by myself.   

If I am guildless running around doing my own thing and all the sudden I start getting guild invites without a person ever attempting to talk to me.  That is a straight ignore from all future events with me.  I don't want to join some random guild that I have never heard of or played with.  I am probably guildless because I am taking a break and playing alone for some me time by myself on an alt.

Maybe I have just gotten older but it seems most of the time I play alone or with close friends not random people.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I hate: The Mutes

It's an online game. Say something!

Just report them as bots, because that's all they are if they don't speak.

Joined - July 2004

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by DamonVile

The ninja really bugs me. The guy that can't wait his turn or tries to take something you've obviously fought to clear a patch to.

I dealt with one of them the other night.  Those people are seriously obnoxious. 

I was killing my way through a tunnel to get to a main enemy for a quest line. This person was following me but sorta hanging back, trying not to be seen. I noticed them at first, but thought they were maybe just standing there, momentarily AFK, checking on their quest log, or whatever.

However, as I continued, I noticed they were following me, but still hanging back.  I went on and killed a few more... sure enough.. there they are, trying to seem inconspicuous as they followed me. 

I caught on to what they were doing (it's happened to me before), thought "oh hell no", and, being a rogue, put myself into stealth, hit Sprint, and dashed past the next 5 or 6 enemies going straight to the main enemy I needed.

I cleared the normal enemies out when I got to the main objective area, then stood there, still stealthed... a short distance away from the main target. I waited 'til the guy had cleared the final normal enemy on the way, and came running into the room. They didn't have ranged attack, so they had to run up to to hit it with melee. Right when they were about a second from reaching it, I sneak attacked it, and then killed it in front of them. 

I timed it that way deliberately, so the regular mobs would have been spawning back by the time the main guy was respawning. This would-be leap-frogging ninja would have to deal with the regular mobs in addition to the main guy, making his task that much more difficult.

Satisfied his attempt had backfired on him... I waved and ran off to kill the remaining normal enemies I needed.

• KakuseyshaKakuseysha Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I'm all of the mentioned things. You mad?
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Originally posted by remyburke

It's my right not to talk to you, nothing says I have to.  Sometimes I just want to play by myself but in your logic, I have to play how you want me to play.

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    I have a better list of the most obnoxious MMO players

5) The Daisyplucker

Stops at every other generic flower texture and goes off about how TOTALLY AWESOMELY CUTE the generic kitten beside the generic flower texture is and vanishes to look up the cash shop if he might buy it there as a pet. Runs randomly off to obviously empty caves or other fluff locations and insists that this is "exploring". Has no consideration whatsoever for his groupmates but crawls egoistically along fully expecting that everybody assumes his playstyle. The worst of all: Never stops talking.

4) The Sucker

Has no idea of game mechanics or is just plain stupid. But beware mentioning the error of his ways when he AGAIN facetanks an elitemob as badly geared sorcerer. If you really care you can read or hear words like "elitist", "demeaning" and a plethora of other completely generic attempts at insulting you in his gibberish. When he is not yelling in his aggressively defensive way he never stops talking.

3) The Man or Woman without a Memory

This one is weird AND obnoxious. Playing with these people is like a constant deja-vu because regardless what you tell them about certain game mechanics, they have forgotten it a few seconds later and do the same freaking mistakes over and over and over and over. All the while they nerver stop talking.

2) The Forced Socializer

Every passable player knows these. Either they whisper you or invite you into a group, then cover you in a rain of emotes and smilies and start talking about topics which have nothing whatsoever to do with the game. Your place of birth or residence, your marital status, your age. All the time interspersing their useless blabber with *generic roleplay postures*. They factually leave you only two possibilities if you choose to walk along with them: Fall silent or start trolling them. Either way they will feel personally affected as if you had thrown some rotting tomatoes at them and depending on their occupation they will start writing articles on online gaming sites about "The 5 worst types of MMO players". Did I mention that they never stop talking?

1) The Living TOS

Be it the roleplaying server naming rules or the most arcane paragraphs of the TOS. These especially obnoxious person knows it all. And never ever stops talking about it. And starting petitions on any kind of forum regardless if the developers even know of its existence. And they make up for estimated 80% of all support tickets, because besides talking all the time about the one and only right way to play the game they also never stop reporting anything and anyone they deem not in accordance with the rules they learned by heart. Their self-righteousness is so appaling that they honestly earned the top spotin this list. Though #2 is close. Very close in fact.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Players who misuse the "report" feature like this should be banned.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ttomm46ttomm46 Member UncommonPosts: 446
    For me it's beggers.....'You got some good armor to spare" or anything  else they can bum!!!!!
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

if we wanted to make the list game specific:

5) (eve online) Spies  Impressive when you read the articles of their exploits... not so much when your alliance is on the business end :)

4) (EQ1, ff11) people who won't participate in a group until it consists of the exact 6-person configuration that they think is best

3) (DFUW) people who bitch about DF1 all day

2) (eve online again!)  Jita/Dodixie/Amarr/Rens/Hek Scammers who prey on new players.  I dont mind the scammers who set the buy-ins for their scams at a Billion ISK etc because by the time you have a bil, you should know better.  the ones who try to milk the new players out of all their ISK are just working to lower the amount of players in the game and that, to me, makes them assholes.

and finally

1) (TERA) pervs

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I've had some really positive, amazing experiences in mmos, and by the same token I'm met some real jerks.  The most interesting players to me tend to be the older ones, 30 to 65.   Less BS all around.  Of course I've met some really cool young players too and it gives me hope for the future of the genre.

People who curse a lot and/or right off the bat want to know my gender and if I'm single are up there at the top of the list.  I play games to relax, forget about work and have fun.  I don't play to hook up with people and have sex....that's what your hand is for. 

I also dislike the people who try and rush through everything or freak out when someone makes a mistake.  Everyone makes mistakes, relax.  I had one guy screaming in our ear in vent one time when someone from our team screwed up.  While he was having a melt down and everyone was playing the blame game, I ran in, killed a bunch of other players and captured the flag.  When we won, the silence was deafening. 

Loot ninjas are irritating.  Control freaks are irritating.  Hyper competitive people are irritating.  Hearing peoples annoying voices that don't match their characters annoy me.  People asking me questions and being chatty during a raid when I'm concentrating annoys me.

Meh, I'm just an old fuddy duddy now I guess, lol.  But I like to RP, relax, take my time, take in a view.

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    If I'm randomly in a forest,attacking something,or doing missions, sometimes I do not want to be bothered. I think it is pretty normal just to ignore a whisper. Though I usually reply, I brush someone off if I have to. I play the game how I want to, and that is ok.
  • puffmousepuffmouse Member UncommonPosts: 44

if there was a general spirit of the mmo, the glorification or mass social play, and an anthem for the mmo age in general,  this whole article and follow up comments works as its antithesis.

Every reason why you should stick to single player games is all right here.  If your going into this building lists of the kind of people you hate, and your list essentially covers the most fundamental properties of everyone you are likely to meet, its time to log out and go put a puzzle together.

my number 1 and only 1 worst player is an intolerant fuck who invests time in categorizing the people they hate.

• achala22achala22 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Oh yeah i'm a  Marathon Man :)
  • SilverbranchSilverbranch Member UncommonPosts: 195

I think Puffmouse over-reacted and took the article the wrong way. /shrug

Part of the equation (not in all cases mind you, but some of the game-play style related) I can't get away from is:  The games themselves often encourage, if not reward, adverse behavior.

I suppose it's similar to "The Marathon Man" syndrome.  I call it "Chicken Heading" through stuff, everyone with rocket boots on.

No need for teamwork.

No need to engage in coordination with each other based on class skill sets (teamwork).

No need to actually THINK, for just a few seconds, about a Pull and how it should be managed by the members of the Team.

No need to buff up right after zoning in to an Instance.  Just zone in and instantly start running down the corridor to be the first to the mob-pack and pew-pew.

Etc., Etc., Etc.

A great many MMO's today encourage, and reward, . . . fast farming runs.

A great many MMO's today ACTIVELY DISCOURAGE, as part of game design, Teamwork.  Specifically, the most singular standout artifact responsible for grooming Stupid into players is:  The DPS Meter.  It's become something it was never meant to be, and is responsible for "training" players it's ok to actively ignore Teamwork and coordination if it benefits your personal meter results.

The result is players who . . . read the list above again . . . race around dragging the entire Party after them.  The party forced to compensate / carry the out of control, spastic, finger-flapping DPS Meter Pimp.  The instance might get done.  The boss might die.  But it's a miserable affair for everyone involved . . . except for those doing all they can to spam DPS.

Puffmouse has it mostly wrong I think.  Yet at the same time there is a bit of truth in there.  You can't expect everyone to act as you'd like, of course.

But all of the things mentioned in the article, which I liked by the way, are MAXIMIZED nowadays . . . because game-world feedback and mechanics, and measurements for "success" by players, often are designed to encourage it.

Me?  The next time I see a Neverwinter Lock or Control Wizard RACE to the next pack of mobs so they can LAZOR BLASTORS PEW PEW ahead of the rest of the Team so they can Pimp the Meter . . .

. . . I think the mobs should be calibrated to crush them in 1.5 seconds.

Wherever you go, there you are.

• d4bn3yd4bn3y Member Posts: 7
    I'd like to chime in and say that none of these bother me too much. In fact I rather enjoy trolls, I think they are hilarious most of the time.

What really grinds my gears? People who don't fulfill their rolls. I.E. healers and tanks that want to DPS.

If you want to DPS that's cool, just roll a DPS class...
  • dethamdetham Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I know some players who are all of those at once, they are true hellspawn
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by k61977

It's my right not to talk to you, nothing says I have to.  Sometimes I just want to play by myself but in your logic, I have to play how you want me to play.

yeah...it refers to people in groups who never say anything. But yes...you have rights and stuff /headpat

• puffmousepuffmouse Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by Silverbranch

I think Puffmouse over-reacted and took the article the wrong way. /shrug

It isnt just the article though, its all the follow up posts.  Here we are in mmorpg.com and just look at the huge list of all the types of other players that people dont want to play with, the list is growing and getting comprehensive as we sit.

Seriously its like you guys love to play games with other people as long as they are your exact clones and dont do anything on this big list.  I get the point of the article and im saying its got a sour concept behind it maybe people should be thinking about.

I strongly agree with your point that a lot of this behavior has a lot to do with game design issues.  

But when it comes to "this person is too chatty" "this person isnt chatty enough" "this person helps too much" "these people arent helpful" "this person thinks they are smart"

JUST LOG OUT ALREADY.  you're just not into people.

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271
    The worst type of mmo player has to be the mmorpg.com forum poster, obviously.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I can deal with unresponsive people as long as they can play good, know what they are doing and show up, surprised that this list didn't mention Loot Ninjas , otherwise GREAT ARTICLE!

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345

For the above reasons, I prefer to play solo or duo. I use to, years ago, always look for a guild and groups. But online gaming has changed, too many people I want to avoid. I do play single player games when there are good ones to play. I'm not un-socialble, and do join up on occasion in areas where it's needed.