Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The 5 Worst Types of MMO Players

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Thestrain
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Thestrain
    Originally posted by LovrNoFightr
    Fanboys are the worst.

I agree. They should be on list..you know the kind who would lash at you and insult you in every way possible because you dares to bring up a genuine issue about the game?

They are the worst even more than trolls and Elitist. 

I agree but the close second to that is the guy who thinks they need to bring up the issues all day long in global.

Well that guy would be a troll then. image

:)

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I don't mind "fanboys" and "haters".  What I can't stand are those that insist their particular game is better than yours then try to prove it with opinions.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by rodingo
    I don't mind "fanboys" and "haters".  What I can't stand are those that insist their particular game is better than yours then try to prove it with opinions.

You pretty much described fanboys there :) and "haters" are the ones that try to prove your favorite game sucks with their opinions. Big difference between "fan" (which is fine) and "fanboy"(which is annoying as hell)

Originally posted by rwyan

I would say the worst for me today's "hardcore" MMOgamer.

Yeah but how about the self described "casual player"  who dislikes *any* time consuming or difficult content and thinks that everything in the game should be just handed to them because they only have 5 minutes a day to play  but their sub entitles them to all the shiny things  that guy over there has? 

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Some of your views are a little skewed.  To be fair, there are indeed MANY people like those described in your article, but all of those people aren't like that.  For example, I fall within the Marathon Man, the Elitist, and the *crickets* at times.  I will rush through a dungeon that I've done umpteen million times when possible.  If a player asks to go slow, I will, but they have to ask.

There is a difference between being an elitist and an elitist jerk.  I can show how good I am and not be an ass about it.  I am quite corgial and don't talk down to those in the "lower food chains" unless they provoke me.  Even then, ignore is a wonderful thing.

Crickets...not much else to say.  You've seen barrens chat?  That's why I don't talk in MMOs unless it is in whispers or guild chat.  Plus, most of the time I'm in the same room with my group or on TS/Vent with them.  Not much reason for me to repeat what I already know :)

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

what about the 5 second wonders? the ones who play a MMO for one hour and think they know how good/bad the game is overall

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

Honestly the worst type of MMO Players is the casual Elitist not the hardcore Elitist.  First let’s define both groups of Elitist. 

Hard Core Elitist – The players that reached the highest level of the game and wants to keep a good portion of the game from every other player.  For example Players who only want Sunwell to be for the top 1% of the players.  Not the ones that want Mythic raiding for a challenge while allowing Normal and Heroics for everyone else. 

Casual Elitist – These are Players that look at MMOs as JUST A GAME and that they should require little time or effort to get to the highest levels of the GAME.  These are the ones that have ruined the MMO genera over the last 7 years.  They feel that all the content should be doable in 1 to 2 hours a week over the course of 1 maybe 2 months.  Trying to pander to this crowd is why MMOs have become throw away, because of this crowd starts on the NERF everything campaign when Pugs fail because CC is required or players cannot stand in fire and still down a boss.  These players are often better left in Single player games where they can buy the game one time for $30 to $60 and play it for a few months then go buy the next best game.  These are players that love to smash Elitist or anyone who wants MMOs to have depth and require time to be spent playing the game over the course of months to years to see all or most of the content because they themselves do not want to dedicate more than a minuscule amount of time.  This Elitist attitude is because they don’t want to put the effort into the requirements so the requirements need to be reduced to for their schedule.

Again there are 2 types of Elitist and often the casual Elitist is the real problem.  They love to label myself as an Elitist because I am tired of 10 min Heroic 5 man runs.  Why would I play a game where I see the content over and over again so many times in 2 weeks that I am bored because some people who has no time to play an MMO because they pack their schedules so tight with things to do and they think MMOs should change for them.  I am not asking for 5 hour Heroics but 30 minutes to 90 minutes on the very outside is not much to ask.  But for these people who take part in 10 different activities per week which keeps them from WOW and often these actives are like Golfing or bowling and many other Hobbies.  Not the parent with 3 kids a full time job like myself who has 1 Hobby outside of the 10 hours a week I spend playing with the kids taking them to the playground.  No I still have 4 to 10 hours to play an MMO a week and dedicate to things.  These Elitist love to bash everyone else because they feel computer games are a waste of time yet feel they should be able to get everything in the game for little to no effort. 

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

I have another one.... I'll let someone else name him, mine will be a harsh name.

The player that is better than you, not because he has the best gear, or the best of well, anything. Just that he knows he's better than you. In chat he hates everyone, unless they blindly agree to him, and he's always very vocal in chat, spouting random obscenities and dousing everyone with his 'wisdom'. If he doesn't like something you are doing, or someone around him is doing, he'll announce it, so the most people available can know of HIS dislike for something, no matter how reasonable it is, or how much sense it actually makes. He doesn't have to have a reason to spout drivel, he just knows it's his right, and our responsibility to cater to his needs. Only happy for the next two seconds after someone agrees with his nonsense, then he's back to shouting slandering abuse several seconds later........ Very common is the Archeage Beta currently......

Originally posted by Agnostic42

I have another one.... I'll let someone else name him, mine will be a harsh name.

The player that is better than you, not because he has the best gear, or the best of well, anything. Just that he knows he's better than you. In chat he hates everyone, unless they blindly agree to him, and he's always very vocal in chat, spouting random obscenities and dousing everyone with his 'wisdom'. If he doesn't like something you are doing, or someone around him is doing, he'll announce it, so the most people available can know of HIS dislike for something, no matter how reasonable it is, or how much sense it actually makes. He doesn't have to have a reason to spout drivel, he just knows it's his right, and our responsibility to cater to his needs. Only happy for the next two seconds after someone agrees with his nonsense, then he's back to shouting slandering abuse several seconds later........ Very common is the Archeage Beta currently......

The millennial?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

The worst kind of player is The Whiner. This player complains about everyone else instead of focusing on having fun herself.

herself? why not themselves, ive seen lots of males whine too.

Originally posted by iridescence

Yeah but how about the self described "casual player"  who dislikes *any* time consuming or difficult content and thinks that everything in the game should be just handed to them because they only have 5 minutes a day to play  but their sub entitles them to all the shiny things  that guy over there has? 

The problem with your point is, asking for casual content, isn't the same thing as asking for what you're suggesting. A good example of this is the recent dialogue on WS over the last month or two. This is the way those folks are being painted yet it's not close to what they're actually asking for or suggesting.

If anything I think such misrepresentations should be listed under the Elitist types in the original article.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Unfortunately, I too hate the Marathon men the most.

I think these came from a couple different reasons though.

The first being more and more MMOs focusing on a constant repetition of content to achieve rewards. Most experienced end game players have been there and done that when it comes to dungeons etc. They just want to get their daily/weekly/hourly rewards and be done with it.

Second reason, is the growing popularity and mass appeal of MMOs has seen more and more non RPG gamers muddying up the waters so to speak. Serious RPG players tend to have a more immersive experience in mind and aren't quite as carrot and stick oriented. But many of the MMO fans coming from other genres aren't really interested in lore, roleplaying, immersion or any of that silly stuff. They want the loot, they want the rewards! The good thing is most MMOs have learned to separate PvP and PvE gear so that the people just looking to kill each other aren't rushing through dungeons they have no interest in. Sadly, that was only part of the problem and creates a new one in that those of us who don't focus on PvP can't ever really try it without feeling like we need to get all new gear or be a complete gimp.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Fanboys (or blind fanatics) are easily worse than this top 5 list combined.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    The over-weening under-represented class -- Healers or Tanks are rare in game X.  This character expects to be 5 levels lower than the rest of the group or he will not play.  He expects extra loot, extra everything, and do not ever insult the ego.

The thief -- Ninja looters.  People who put the 5 items up in a row on the AH with 1 gold 1 gold 1 plat 1 gold 1 gold hoping you botch.  Oh I just needed boss three in this instance -- cya suckers.

The exploiter/hacker -- You mean you don't use hack07 to phase through walls?  I guess you deserve to die.  And woe to you if he ends up in your group and gets you in trouble.

The griefer -- This can be the guy who kills you over and over and over again in a pvp mmo, or the person who breaks your spawn camp or runs through you on purpose with a train of monsters to get you killed, or ruins your world raid.

The gold-spammer -- flooding your mailbox with gold seller things making you not receive the mail you wanted, or the chat with spam, etc.

The on-call who doesn't say he is on-call -- Sure I can heal for the raid.  Oh, I have to go now (but we are up to the boss) -- sorry [disconnect].

The obnoxious voicechatter -- Baby screams in the background -- expletives fly from the mic -- innuendo and worse.

The MMO snob.  Oh, you don't use mumble -- I guess you aren't welcome in the group.  You need to respec to this exact spec or we do not want you.  We don't want healer class 3 because only healer class 1 works here despite your protests to the contrary.

• EtheomEtheom Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Thank you for mentioning Darkfall. I recently returned to the game and have been supremely impressed with the direction they're going in. See you in game!

• FingzFingz Member UncommonPosts: 139

The marathon guys, and I know I've been one, are often grinding rep or trying to get a piece of gear.  They just have different goals from the guy who's casually doing the content and wanting to take it all in.

Why talk when you'll never meet these people again is one reason people don't talk.

Note that all 5 types can be mitigated by getting into a good guild.

Good guilds solve almost all problems.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I hate that there are so many people that, when it remains anonymous to their real life personas, act like douchebags all the time, like is an a-hole what they wanna be like IRL and are just to scared to talk crap the same?

Mystery Bounty

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Trolling is art. 
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

The Marathon Man should be #1, because it's currently the most vocal annoyance that is also ruining the genre.  It's made everything into a race to get to "end-game", see all the content, and then rush to the forums mid-transformation into a Troll just to complain about "lack of content".

It's also kind of funny that Marathon Man is pretty much the *insert crickets here* type that doesn't socialize because that takes time away from maximizing XP gain or whatever.  It's also sometimes the Know-It-All who only talks to a team by telling them their build is wrong or the best way to kill X by exploiting Y just to finish the content faster.  Disgusting.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by MysteryB
    I hate that there are so many people that, when it remains anonymous to their real life personas, act like douchebags all the time, like is an a-hole what they wanna be like IRL and are just to scared to talk crap the same?

How do you know they're not an ass hole in real life too ?

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    I don't care what it's called, but I really dislike the one who strives to be the most obnoxious. This seems to almost always be a kid who wants attention and doesn't care if it's positive or negative. And will often escalate obnoxious right into noxious and cruel, earning a report for offensive and an ignore from me.

This one is followed directly by the elitist jerk who takes license to be nasty and cruel and get others to jump in on the action.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    • Players that lacks basic understanding of their class and role.
    • Players that don't know how to avoid fire.

The mortal enemies of the marathon man, elitist and know-it-alls.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by LovrNoFightr
    Fanboys are the worst.

Haters are even worse.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by iridescence

The problem with your point is, asking for casual content, isn't the same thing as asking for what you're suggesting. A good example of this is the recent dialogue on WS over the last month or two. This is the way those folks are being painted yet it's not close to what they're actually asking for or suggesting.

If anything I think such misrepresentations should be listed under the Elitist types in the original article.

To be clear, I was not talking about all casual players just as I assume the person I was replying to doesn't think all hardcore players act in the ways he was suggesting. In both cases it's a small vocal minority. Most  players just want content they can enjoy. On both extremes of the spectrum, it's the ones that throw a fit about anything in the game which doesn't match their playstyle which cause the problem.