Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What made EQ, "EQ" and how could EQN follow suit?

Comments

• MordithMordith Member UncommonPosts: 210

EQ had a number of features that show up in other games, but there is no other game that incorporates all or even many of them.  Here is a sample list:

• Numerous zones that have low, mid, and high end mobs (or a combination).  Removes the linear progression and opens up the options of where to adventure in any given play session.
    • The ability of casters to bind anywhere and to bind others in cities
    • 4 second cast time gate spell (goes with binding) - not the current 30+ second cast time we see in newer games
    • Long term snare
    • Long term root
    • Quad kiting by a few classes
    • Root rotting
    • Charm killing
    • Splitting mobs
    • Harmony
    • Feign death
    • Buffing non party classes (crack, skin like wood etc.)
    • SOW
    • Levitation
    • Underwater breathing
    • Underwater fighting and adventuring
    • Invisibility/See invisibility/Invisibility vs undead
    • Port spells
    • Evac spells
    • Factions that actually meant something and could be changed with some effort
    • Epic quests
    • Rare mobs (Think Quill and others for that ultra rare loot)
    Anyway, those are some of the things that to me made EQ great (I just started playing on "that server that shall not be named").
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by DMKano
    It was a virtual world, not a game. The players were not heros or chosen ones. All NPCs had factions which made them a part of the virtual world. The pacing was about 20 times slower than today's games which allowed players to socialize a lot.

This is whats missing in the newer games. Not to beat a dead horse but wow did this. Mmo's have not been the same after wow and the money they were making. Suits run the companies and all they care about is the money. No care is really put in anymore. It seems like every mmo pre wow was made with a real passion. I just don't see that anymore. And because of wow we have a flooded market of mmo's some ok but mostly bad. All chasing the wow money dream. You know a game's dev's have passion for their game when they play it. And i don't mean just when some event is involved. I mean just login to play with the playerbase. You saw this alot in mmo's pre wow. The only game i've seem that resently with is Firefall.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by DMKano
    It was a virtual world, not a game. The players were not heros or chosen ones. All NPCs had factions which made them a part of the virtual world. The pacing was about 20 times slower than today's games which allowed players to socialize a lot.

This pretty much, the world felt alive it didnt feel like a game, things were hard you had to work towards things nothing was given to you for free and unless a player is like o here have this i dont need it anymore death had a penalty than made u wanna advoid dieing and seek help from toher players for grouping cause safty in numbers, merchants would resel things they buy from players it had alot of depth in to make the world but this is now lost cause to add depth it cost more money and time to develope and wasnt seen as nessisary do devs slowly cut it out to become a boring predictable game :(

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    /snip

Pre SoE Live 2013 the internet was a buzz with word of a new EQ MMO. This forum and many like it were flooded with posters. After they announced the direction of the game many fan forums died like this one. As much as his post is jaded, he is not far off from how many feel about this game. If I was not such a big fan of SoE products I would have already moved on from EQN. Action mouse locked combat does not tickle me in any way. I myself hope that SoE changes some of the direction of this game. Or that what else is there (voxels and storybricks) is so good I will over look shallow combat system they have picked. Right now the biggest thing to win in PvP is to hop like a bunny non stop. My fear is this will be GW2 all over again. Not that I think it was a bad game. It just was not the game I wanted at end cap. Most EQ fans are not happy.

Most fans EQ on this site, sure, but I'm not sure how we would accurately know the opinion of everyone that played EQ on how they would like this game. Yes, the combat system is different but I wouldn't call it shallow, not anymore than EQ anyway. Roughly same amount of skills the only difference being how you target. How effective each skill is also important (in EQ this was huge) but cannot be known for Next quite yet, though we can see there will be a lot of control. If they applied the same "weight" and importance to abilities as in EQ it would be even more challenging IMO. We'll have to see how they address that.

I'm with you on the hopping and gliding. That and some of the extreme parkor is the only unappealing thing for me so far. I like the animation adjustments like ledge grabbing and diving if over water but the bunny hopping would get annoying fast. I believe they have stated adjustments for that in the form of energy use.

I get some vets are unhappy at the direction of Next but to post /rimshot comments and unreasonable comparisons does not progress discussions.

I also read EQ1 and EQ2 fan forums. I also play EQ2 in a raiding guild. Over all, EQ1 and EQ2 fans, I mean people who still play the game, not people who played it 10 years ago and now play WoW. For the most part are not liking the direction of EQN. In this forum a lot of the active EQ1 and EQ2 posters have just stopped posting here shortly after SoE live 2013. 

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Nanfoodle

That makes a lot of sense since they were probably hoping for something like what they were already playing, just more advanced. I completely get that but personally I like where SoE is going with Next, makes sense on many levels. It doesn't cannibalize other EQs and brings something fresh.

I still play EQ2 myself and IMO is the deepest and most robust of the theme park MMOs. That said the formula is tired to me after playing them so long. I think the formula can change but the feeling can be just as great even if it's different.

That is why I started this thread. EQN may not be just like EQ but EQ, like all MMOs, are made up of a bunch of pieces. The two EQs may share more pieces than we think comparing them directly.

I think the thread in the Pub about what vets thought MMOs would be like now is interesting. A lot of the comments point to features touted by EQN. Of course we don't know what the final game will be like but one can hope for another great experience.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

If SoE can manage to actually bring in the world changing content that they are claiming. It doesn't have to be completely genre changing, but having divergent gameplay would bring the genre forward in a big way.

Such as the example that was given about the hedge mage trainer. The premise was you happened upon a farm and this old man asked you to help him with the local orc problem. You find the orc camp, wipe them out and when you go back to tell the old man he turned out to be a retired hedge mage and trains you in the class. However, you could also side with the same orcs and go wipe out the farm and then be trained as an orc beserker (or warrior). Either way, at the end of the story it's done and you'd have to find access to those same two classes elsewhere.

If they can manage to have meaningful factions, where not everyone is friend. If they can put in a meaningful karma/morality system (good/neutral/evil) with consequences. If we have the ability to choose a path for our character and actually forge it in a meaningful way. Then maybe we can have something that will move the genre forward.

Give us as the players a reason to explore every inch of the land, and have us want to do it over again to see what has changed. There's so much potential out there for someone to come along and make a truly unique experience.

• InfantryonlineInfantryonline Member Posts: 113

Next can just follow the lore and it would still be as innovating as the original that came before all the clones. What made Everquest a success is that they didn't doubt the player back then. I hope dumbing down isn't a part of the formula for Next. I hope they do away with "cheap kills" like in WoW or EQ2 or a gamebreaking mechanic, like in WoW, where a dps mage was doing damage 50k when everyone was doing 30k tops spamming just 1 spell over and over. Build a game from scratch like what was meant to be built using ingenuity and solving mmo problems. Throw in a sparkling AI system and hope for the best.

I never thought of it as EQNext is trying too hard. I mean people are like "that will never work in the market" and its funny because you are the market. Anything that Next does benefits the genre. We're getting close to a portal to Narnia.

What made Everquest "great" was everything was new, and multiplayer. The design was great (still is). The game experience couldn't be beaten. What made it iffy was you got "good" by doing something over and over. I think Next can be something grand if it captures that "new" feeling all over again. Its like being in love, you have to screw a bunch of maids before you meet the right person. (There will be less and less people thinking EQNext is a mistake just because they like WoW gameplay, hopefully under 3 million heh)

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Infantry..  A lot of what you say depends if you like the direction they are going.. PvP?    IMO, any game that wishes to appease PvP class balance will be a PvE game I can do without.. PvP and PvE content are on opposite sides of the spectrum.. It is impossible to have a large selection of PvE classes and skills, and keeping balance with PvP as well..  Add in twitch combat, and I doubt that many WoW type players will support and switch to EQN..  I'm a die hard auto targeting  player that loves using my tab key, or F1-F6 buttons..  (which will not be available in EQN) I love the skill of switching from target to target and using my skills.. How can I play a serious healer if I'm unable to target a dying teammate?  I can't, the closest thing they'll have is GW2 style of AE healing  and buffs..

Can EQN change and allow targeting options? Sure, but I doubt that will happen being they took such a firm stance against it for over a year.. Same with buffs or debuffs too.. Are they do going to be AE effects as well? 

Good point. I doubt it will be as good as they bill it. Will it be "gamebreaking" is the only thing that can hinder what really can be a promising combat system. The main chunk of the game will be PvE. An AI monster will be more fun than any encounters. Because they can always move the difficulty slider up and down when they choose. The AI in the game will be fun because the mobs will recognize how you fight over time and respond accordingly. So  they can possibly back off, be in some form of formation, and attack defend certain other npcs. If a group of players meet a group of npcs. It can be something where you can also learn from it. The intelligence of the mob might make twitch fun or frustrating. Of course npcs will not fall for the same thing over and over again. thats a step up

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         We have yet to see ANY real game play action with a working AI in both combat and adventuring..  Everything at this point is just speculation and hopes..  However, if someone can post video showing actual working AI in game.. I"m all eyes.. 
    Maelwydd

The link led to "Not Found" on YouTube.

Regarding the combat it foes seem like heals/buffs are applied in the area of the spell. The Clerics golden "hammer" shot not only damaged enemies but benefitted allies that it crossed. Same with the force field.

Is it better? That is opinion though I think it is. I think aiming skills is much more tactical that tab targeting and takes more skill. The big thing not known yet is how important each skill will be in battle. Energy use and power of abilities will also determine skill level. If I can spam all my skills (one or two need to be this way from lack of auto-attack) continuously the combat may get tiring.

This week or next there should be another AI video out. Hopefully they will show some of it in action past the "risk" map scenarios.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

EQ was different we had not really seen anything like it before.. thats what made EQ.. so they have to do a similar thing with EQ:N and it looks like they are donig that so far.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

I don't think EQN will ever be able to match the success of EQ.  This is mainly due to the over saturation of the market.  WOW both expanded and destroyed the market.

What made EQ great was it was the first MMO for a lot of us.  We are/were a different breed of gamer.  We didn't mind the time sucks that was factioning, epic quests, camping of that annoyingly rare spawn to drop that annoyingly rare piece (screw you Venril Sathir and Phinny!).  We talked in voice chat, guild chat, and tells.  We socialized.  We stood in West Commons tunnel and sold stuff.  We interacted with other players.  We ran back and forth to zones (unless you had a pet Wizard or Druid).  We had corpse recoveries, and some of them, epic (Dragon Necropolis, dragging 5 bodies at once with a wizard.  Making use of Abscond, Wizard Epic clicky, and Improved Invis)

In short, it was a game that "made" us want to play.  It was tougher, more engaging, and more fun.  It was EverQuest EverCrack!

EQN may not hit all the points that made early EQ great, but I have little doubt it will surpass EQ in subscriptions, and probably within the week of release.  And if it's a good game, it may even trump WOW over a few months.

I'm cautiously optimistic.  I've attended the last two SOE Lives and like what I've seen.  However remember, the market has expanded massively since the days of EQ when it was big.  EQ numbers will not cut it.  A game will need 500k+ to be successful with the amount being invested nowadays.  SOE is investing a lot into EQN.

WOW is an anomaly in the MMO market.  It dropped at the right time, the right IP, and with the right amount of features.  We won't see another "WOW success" for some time, if ever.  Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see WOW lose more of it's luster.  People use it far too much for their comparisons, but saying EQN will trump WOW is a fatal flaw that we see said time and time again.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • AzzudyenAzzudyen Member UncommonPosts: 11

What made EQ was the difficulty like others have said. The easiest way to describe might be this way.

The games now adays is all about end game raids. Well alot of EQ leveling was more on par with todays raids that with todays content filler. Everyone rushes to end game so the fun and challenge starts, but playing EQ, leveling was challenging and dungeons were more like todays raids. Oh and the game did have raids also for a little extra difficulty.

I think that was the drug addict secret for this game.

What the fuck are we so glum. Remember there are no limits. You think this is SWTOR with funner mechanics. This is Everquest. There is literally no pitfalls nothing unfun about the way they are doing the main story(s) and combat. No rails they have to worry about or success guides they have to follow in a themepark ride. This is Sandbox we are the future. they are free to do whatever and only worry about pvp balance and think hard when only class abilities. Items, quests, lore. They eat that for breakfast. Heres how to make a game. AI panel reworked coming next week.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Azzudyen
    What made EQ was the difficulty like others have said. The easiest way to describe might be this way.The games now adays is all about end game raids. Well alot of EQ leveling was more on par with todays raids that with todays content filler. Everyone rushes to end game so the fun and challenge starts, but playing EQ, leveling was challenging and dungeons were more like todays raids. Oh and the game did have raids also for a little extra difficulty.I think that was the drug addict secret for this game.

Absolutely

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Originally posted by Arclan

Originally posted by Azzudyen
    What made EQ was the difficulty like others have said. The easiest way to describe might be this way.

The games now adays is all about end game raids. Well alot of EQ leveling was more on par with todays raids that with todays content filler. Everyone rushes to end game so the fun and challenge starts, but playing EQ, leveling was challenging and dungeons were more like todays raids. Oh and the game did have raids also for a little extra difficulty.

I think that was the drug addict secret for this game.

Absolutely

Agreed and I think the reason is because the difficulty opened up important avenues. Grouping and that social aspect is the first and obvious one. Not just for a chance at a piece of gear during a 15 minute zombie PUG where you don't care about anything except what drops at the end. The whole game, for the most part, was about grouping. The other is that it was humbling. The fact you needed others to really progress because the world was dangerous meant that you were in it "together" and not as separate, unstoppable, Terminators. This is IMO the core reason to play an MMO, interacting with other real... virtually, real... people.

Of course I don't expect EQN to be so reliant on others in every facet of the game. To do so would alienate a large subset that doesn't want to, or can't, play in groups most of the time. I still hope it's a challenge. I know the genre has been simplified to a gross (not large, unsavory) extent but it's bitten companies in the rump. The content is gobbled up and even if it isn't, trivial content gets boring. Either way people leave. Victory should never be a certainty and if it isn't I think it would have a positive effect if the gameplay was enjoyable.

I hope is that a hefty chunk of group content where EQN is concerned. I perked my ears when the devs talked about it being more dangerous outside "settled" lands so we'll see how that works out. During the 2013 Live Q&A the question was brought up on why group content hadn't been talked about. The response was that they wanted to focus on what would be different and "of course" dungeons and raids would be there. We'll see.

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

Even among us old EQ players you can see the split in opinions.

I don't care about the EQ Lore, if anything I'm happy that they created a whole new world, but my friend asks how it's even considered EQ without FP. To be honest I went into EQ blind and sort of made my own Lore as I went along. I had a great story about the ToFS.

I'm for voxels, but my friend doesn't like them because he wants some permanence in the game and things all the flying particles are just a gimmick.

I like the new skill system, but hate that they're trying to do away with the trinity and replace it with the kite everything method of combat. My friend wants the old skill system, but doesn't want anything like the trinity.

I don't care about the graphics, I don't like these, but it's of no real importance to me, but my friend does care and won't play because of the cartoon look of the game.

Both of us started playing EQ in Kunark, but we can't agree on anything except that EQ was good and modern MMO's are bad.

If two of us who've been friends for years can't agree then how will any developer satisfy both of us?

Still I'm going to give it a real go, I'm going to join a guild and do my best to make EQN a better game.

Asdar

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by asdar

Both of us started playing EQ in Kunark, but we can't agree on anything except that EQ was good and modern MMO's are bad.

If two of us who've been friends for years can't agree then how will any developer satisfy both of us?

Still I'm going to give it a real go, I'm going to join a guild and do my best to make EQN a better game.

nice commentary image

just like EQ2 did not appeal to all EQ1 players

EQN is for a new audience too

despite my misgivings about some features, like combat, I will be making the most out of EQN

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Was it the combat system?

Was it the artstyle?

Was it the vast world?

The need for friends?

EverQuest had more than a few features to set it apart even today.  While it's obvious that EQN has many more "new" features what at its core does it need to capture the feeling of its predecessors? Is it possible to create an experience both vets of the original franchise and new players to the genre can enjoy along with those all along the spectrum?

What made EverQuest, EverQuest?

Thought EQ was complete garbage, it gave rise to the WoW model of Themepark gaming.

What they need to do is go the Asheron's Call route of PvE sandbox and they'll have an amazing game.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by asdar

I don't care about the EQ Lore, if anything I'm happy that they created a whole new world, but my friend asks how it's even considered EQ without FP. To be honest I went into EQ blind and sort of made my own Lore as I went along. I had a great story about the ToFS.

I'm for voxels, but my friend doesn't like them because he wants some permanence in the game and things all the flying particles are just a gimmick.

I like the new skill system, but hate that they're trying to do away with the trinity and replace it with the kite everything method of combat. My friend wants the old skill system, but doesn't want anything like the trinity.

I don't care about the graphics, I don't like these, but it's of no real importance to me, but my friend does care and won't play because of the cartoon look of the game.

Out of six friends who played the other EQ games together one of us will play EQN. Three of the six made it as far as Landmark. Combat as seen at SOE Live 2014 was my last straw and put me out, one other played Landmark Beta and submitted his "Fuck You SOE" Chit. The rest have made other plans and found other projects to follow. Old friends separated (in game playing only of course) by these design choices.

Do your best to make EQNext a better game. You have your work cut out for you.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
    Archlyte

With all due respect just because you don't like something doesnt make it bad, just something you don't like. Being that EQN will be F2P I have no doubt many will try it even if they have misgivings, if the title is good despite the mechanics.

They would only be hurting themselves by scoffing at something they may enjoy because of their preconceived notions.

Of all the people I have personally talked to about the game only one had played EQ. They prefer tab targeting, closed classes/roles, etc. but was still intrigued by the plans for content delivery. Of those I talked to about EQN that had never heard of it, EQ or in some cases MMOs in general they seemed pretty impressed by what EQN was about. Of course this is only a handful of people, not even the minimum 30 for a adequate "sample."

What I did take from it was that the ideas by themselves, without prior knowledge of EQ's structure or being around the genre, were very appealing for fantasy gaming. This would make sense because as a system is better known the criticisms become more microscopic, often missing the whole picture.
  • nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

Was it the combat system?

Was it the artstyle?

Was it the vast world?

The need for friends?

EverQuest had more than a few features to set it apart even today.  While it's obvious that EQN has many more "new" features what at its core does it need to capture the feeling of its predecessors? Is it possible to create an experience both vets of the original franchise and new players to the genre can enjoy along with those all along the spectrum?

What made EverQuest, EverQuest?

EQ was EQ because it was one of the first MMOs.  It had lame mechanics that were often mind-bogglingly bad.

In the current MMO-saturated market, games actually have to be good.

Edit:  I played Wildstar until the lameness of a gear treadmill got to me.  After that, I have been playing Smite for the past several months because you need to aim and there is no gear treadmill.  So skill is the primary factor.  I hope that EQN has aiming required and no lame tab-target stuff.  I think tab targetting is finally dieing as it should have long ago.

• Lonecrow66Lonecrow66 Member Posts: 31

Well for one.. I hope to god they drop the cartoonish look.  It totally takes away from everything. 

The voxels and the ability to modify terrain will make things very interesting.  I hope they don't sway too far from the original EQ by making !s and ?'s and make it difficult enough to get around and force you to explore.  Not to just move to one area to level and then to the next.

We want NO ZONES at all actually and all zones can have high and or low level mobs so you could literally get ganked while meditating by a griffin or sand giant that wanders nearby. 

It is that whole feeling of never feeling safe that I loved.  You never knew when a train or a mob would be by.  Also looking for rare and unusual NPC's that wandered and were hard to track down. 

Also making magic loot rare.  Remember all the time you spent trying to get that Crushbone shield or the Bone Bladed Claymore?