Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Have to Swallow my words now.

CleverjackCleverjack Member UncommonPosts: 72

A year ago I played Marvel Heroes, and it was a terrible game! To get any hero you actually liked you had to spend money. The starting heroes sucked. There was no end game, and leveling after the story mode was just a massive grind. I was so pissed that I just uninstalled after three days of frustration and told my close friend this game was trash and not worth anyone's time. Since then I've been on the hype train of several mmo's mainly for boredom and also still trying to find that feeling that wow and star wars use to give me, and I just hadn't found it. ESO was a major disappointment. Wild star just didn't do it for me, and Archeage's flaws were just to many. I Had stumbled upon the revisited review of Marvel Heroes on this site and read it, found it interesting cause how he described the game was nothing like I remembered the bag of crap from a year ago. I watched a streamer and asked some questions and basically he and his chat said: "Just try it again, its a totally different game. Its free"

I downloaded it, logged back into my account, and I was just blown away by how it has grown. Over 30 different Heroes/ Classes, each having multiple builds. Easy and fair access for everyone to gain heroes and store items without even paying. There is a lot of content and the team of Gaz has a very aggressive patch model at the moment where they try to get out content on a weekly basis. Yes the patches ship with bugs, but that's to be expected from a small company putting out content four times a month. They do how ever try to fix then quickly and the devs are so on hands with the Marvel Heroes community its a testament to the way all dev's should behave with their consumers.

I have always thought that an mmo had one chance to wow me or i'm done with it. No second chances, but after being disappointed in all of this years genre changing mmo's and finding myself going back to a game I wrote of as complete rubbish and actually liking it I am just stunned at my closed mindedness., but someone pointed out to me that that's one of the perks of this genre that we love so much. Stand alones have to be perfect right out the bat cause that's the only shot they get, but an mmo can be patched, and tweaked, and changed(over time).

Marvel Heroes is a weird blend of ARPG and mmo that didn't click well for me a year ago but some how they got their shit together and made a game that people now call "their wow" 

All in all this gives me hope that maybe down the road ESO will become more group friendly or not so restricting, or that the gimmicky feel of wildstar might fade.  Maybe even pvp and pve'ers will find a way to coexist in archeage(who am I kidding. We all know that'll be a cold day in hell right.) I still believe that dev's should be held accountable for the shite they throw at us, but now i'm a little less inclined to grab my pitchfork and torch for the annual angry mob that comes after a mmo's release.

PS. Thanks for those who read my silly rant. Any two cents you can throw in about your idea on second chances feel free to do so. Sorry in advance for my bad grammar.

Comments

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

most mmos have disappointed me,the only good rpg games that you share with others are the souls games.

cant wait for blood borne,i play dark souls 2 a lot just to play with others.

eqn is my last hope for a good mmo.

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

Not a bad post. I also don't see many posts like it. I tend to think similarly to how you use to: - If your game doesn't grab me within the first hour or two then it never will and it's trash. - I remember renting games from Blockbuster Video, trying them for an hour and then returning them the same day because they played like they were made by a bunch of hungover frat boys.

I'm very glad to see that developers are willing to reconsider their main approach/es to how their games work and are willing to make changes to please their players.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• CleverjackCleverjack Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by handlewithcare

most mmos have disappointed me,the only good rpg games that you share with others are the souls games.

cant wait for blood borne,i play dark souls 2 a lot just to play with others.

eqn is my last hope for a good mmo.

The Dark souls community is a great example of how online gamers should treat each other. There is etiquette that everyone seems to follow. I don't hold my breath anymore for a games release to be stellar. when EQN comes out i'll try it. 

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Depending on what I dislike about a game, I will give a game a second chance. If it is "fixable", by all means. If it is a core gameplay concept(s) I dislike, they would have to remake the whole game for me to try again.

[EDIT]
    There was a game that I retried after blasting it originally: Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic 2. With that game, I had to adjust my attitude and found it to be a very fun game once I accomplished that.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Awesome!  I think Marvel Heroes is a great game too!  PM me if you'd like to play together (I've been itching to come back!).  And kudos to you giving the game a second chance.
  • kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    I felt the same way when I first played. I thought the game was garbage and would die. I have a friend who kept up with the game though, and kept telling me how much better it was, how they were re-evaluating and tuning every single hero and about how much more content they had added and fixed I finally broke down and played that game again and was very impressed with what they had done. I think it should be one of those games people talk about when they talk about f2p done right. 
  • ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367

This coming patch on the 29th sounds big; they haven't promised it yet, but besides Rogue(who looks amazing from the livestream) they are supposed to push through the achievements system and some UI updates like a currency tab, and possibly their pet system that gives bonuses for non-combat vanity pets being out and eating your unused green/blue/purps on the ground(which will also boost performance by having less item clutter!). And the new Bronx Zoo One-Shot with tons of new art assets and the Lizard/Kraven the Hunter as bosses.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    Tried this and the wife and I are rather enjoying it, it does seem a tad on the easy side but assume it will get hard as we level up some.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457

Hey I am right there with you.  I wrote this game off a year ago and am now back having a blast after friends asked me to give it another look.

Tons of fun and a decent value; vs. a money grab.

Diablo with capes!

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    Tried this and the wife and I are rather enjoying it, it does seem a tad on the easy side but assume it will get hard as we level up some.

You're never ever forced into a challenge, beyond maybe a few of the story fights(I feel like lady deathstrike in chapter 5 is stacked against melee, especially if she has the poison cloud affix). It's definitely there though, in the cosmic terminals and one-shot areas, and the raiding. Most players measure "completeness" of character when they're able to solo several different cosmic terminals without dying in quick times. It's definitely fun to theorycraft and try out different builds to play in a way that surprises others or works out in unexpected ways. I never thought I'd play Silver Surfer as melee when I first got him, but he's my fastest, strongest character that way now.

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    I too actually tried playing this game recently and am having a blast. Game has definitely significantly improved since its release. Kind of addicted right now actually haha.