Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Skyforge: Everything About It Is Beautiful

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

I’d been seeing images of Skyforge for some time before Gamescom. Everything about the game is beautiful. But surprisingly few MMO gamers I know have heard of Skyforge. It’s a Science Fiction-Fantasy MMORPG from the makers of Allods Online. Combat is all geared towards action and somewhat reminiscent of console games in that there are combos to learn for various attacks. I was never good at learning combos in my old school Street Fighter days and if my demo at Gamescom taught me anything it is that nothing has changed.

Read more of Shannon Doyle's Skyforge: Everything About It Is Beautiful.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Allods Team = Run away as fast as you can.
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Please explain as I am unfamiliar. 

-Chuckles
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Okay...well done...I like it...going to dl this one.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

This game has a very similar look/feel of that older PS3 game Folklore which was pretty fun.

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

Heres to hoping that they break the mold by not making this yet another Eastern Pay model that we keep seeing in which fanboys who can't do basic math will defend until the end of time just because it's shiny like they did with GW2, NWO, and now Archeage.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    This game looks interesting I just never really like F2P games, most companies make the game severely hindered unless you pay more than what you would for a sub fee.
    Where do you download it?  Can't find a link.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by DMKano
    SkyForge might be a decent action game, MMORPG it is not however.

Why isn't it an mmorpg?

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    I will however say that I like character integrity...I don't like the instant switching to other classes....should need to level up what you want to play.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    That game looks like it has a lot of new ideas going for it, will definitely give this a try.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Originally posted by SirBalin
    I will however say that I like character integrity...I don't like the instant switching to other classes....should need to level up what you want to play.

I'm more along your line of thinking.

As far as "downloading" it's still being developed. You can sign up for beta howerver.

http://sf.my.com/us

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Shaigh

Why isn't it an mmorpg?

its a lobby game, atleast as far as someone told from the last game convention....but might be a great game otherwise, from the describtion I thought of GW1, which may not be justified.

havent tried it or seen it, so well....*shrug* it looks cool, sounds fun and I ll most likely try it once it hit "open beta or the like" or get released.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Although Skyforge seemed iffy at first, I find that it may surpass ArcheAge if it releases within the next year (by mid 2015).   There's a huge issue with AA being very generic in combat -a complete opposite from Skyforge from what I've seen- and quest style.  

As long as the game delivers a compelling group mechanic, story, and side activities I'm sure it'll gather a sizable playerbase at it's launch.   But it's also going into an already saturated market with some high top contenders on the way (EQ:N is one of them).

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    One comment killed this game for me "combos", I personally don't play console games, but if you do and don't mind the combos more power to you. 
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Wylf
    One comment killed this game for me "combos", I personally don't play console games, but if you do and don't mind the combos more power to you. 

Combos are not just console games and many MMORPG's partake in their usage.   Guild Wars 2 used spell combos through "fields"; Wildstar does XP combats through doublekill, triplekill, and soon; ArcheAge does combos through chaining together specific spell/attack types.   To do combos in an MMORPG just means that it's more rewarding for doing more things in combat, basically adding another level of skill to the play.

• ShadowVlicanShadowVlican Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Ah combos, reminds me to Dragon Nest style combat where some skills can only activate after another skill.. Count me in!
  • aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 621

Thats what turns me off as well. If anyone remembers AoC (Conan) and the mega flop that was, it was due in part to the combat. While it is fine and impressive to do arcade style combos, having multiple key presses to trigger one ability in an MMO just doesnt work. I know Black Desert is working on a similar system as well right now, and time will tell how it is received. I know it sounds really cool, and players "say" they want action combat, but if you think about how much fighting and button mashing that actually takes in an MMO you can easily see how it doesnt fit.

Lets say a normal trash mob in any MMO can die in 2-3 skill uses. In a normal MMO thats 2-3 button presses. In a combo system, that could be as many as 9+ button presses (average 3 for a single skill). Now imagine grinding out those trash mobs for quests and levels. A quest to kill 10 of something now turns from 20-30 button presses to a very unreasonable and repeatitive 90. A boss fight or "named" mob with ten times the health of a trash mob will be the same number.

Sure it doesnt sound bad, but think about it. Those arcade fighters and such that use those combat systems are single fight (usually 3 rounds). Sure you can stay there and play Mortal Kombat, fight 10 people or so, and be done. Now imagine in an MMO, those 10 fights were only 10 quest mobs. Thats one quest. Maybe 2% of a level. Now do that 50 more times. Add in boss mobs and dungeons, and tell me how thats a good system?

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Originally posted by JeroKane

gPotato = Run away as fast as you can.*

*FTFY.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by aslan132

Thats what turns me off as well. If anyone remembers AoC (Conan) and the mega flop that was, it was due in part to the combat. While it is fine and impressive to do arcade style combos, having multiple key presses to trigger one ability in an MMO just doesnt work. I know Black Desert is working on a similar system as well right now, and time will tell how it is received. I know it sounds really cool, and players "say" they want action combat, but if you think about how much fighting and button mashing that actually takes in an MMO you can easily see how it doesnt fit.

Lets say a normal trash mob in any MMO can die in 2-3 skill uses. In a normal MMO thats 2-3 button presses. In a combo system, that could be as many as 9+ button presses (average 3 for a single skill). Now imagine grinding out those trash mobs for quests and levels. A quest to kill 10 of something now turns from 20-30 button presses to a very unreasonable and repeatitive 90. A boss fight or "named" mob with ten times the health of a trash mob will be the same number.

Sure it doesnt sound bad, but think about it. Those arcade fighters and such that use those combat systems are single fight (usually 3 rounds). Sure you can stay there and play Mortal Kombat, fight 10 people or so, and be done. Now imagine in an MMO, those 10 fights were only 10 quest mobs. Thats one quest. Maybe 2% of a level. Now do that 50 more times. Add in boss mobs and dungeons, and tell me how thats a good system?

Here's the thing though ... you don't have to do the combos if you don't want to.  They are an additional perk to kill redundancy.  They offer a remedy to the often press of the 1,1,1,1, 2,,2,2, keys. 

You do not have to partake in them if you don't want to. 

Options are good.

That said, my first impression is I like the look of this game.  I, however, have only the above article and videos by which to base my opinion.  Looks really good though.  The best thing about a lot of the new games coming out is that it appears like we are finally breaking away from the strangle-hold of the WoW theme park type of features that have stagnated the MMORPG genre for so long.   

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by Hedeon
    Originally posted by Shaigh

Why isn't it an mmorpg?

its a lobby game, atleast as far as someone told from the last game convention....but might be a great game otherwise, from the describtion I thought of GW1, which may not be justified.

havent tried it or seen it, so well....*shrug* it looks cool, sounds fun and I ll most likely try it once it hit "open beta or the like" or get released.

Thanks for clarifying. 

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Can't you Macro a Combo? I haven't actually played any game using Combos and FFXIV was my first time playing with macros but it would see like an easy fix to button smashing.
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

Some misconceptions flying around.

1 - Skyforge is not instance based. It has both instances and large open world zones. It is a full fledged MMORPG.

2 - The classes are not all available at once. You start with 3 classes and you can switch freely between them. You unlock more character classes and skills for the initial classes by progressing through the game. You can switch to other classes only outside of combat and the different classes have different weapon gear.

3 - The combos are not "you cast this skill to cast this other skill" but actual mouse click combinations that execute different maneuvers similarly to PSO2. L -> L- > R executes a different move than L -> L -> L or just L -> R (L - left mouse button, R - right mouse button).

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by elveone

3 - The combos are not "you cast this skill to cast this other skill" but actual mouse click combinations that execute different maneuvers similarly to PSO2. L -> L- > R executes a different move than L -> L -> L or just L -> R (L - left mouse button, R - right mouse button).

This is even worse.  I don't like attacks being bound to mouse clicks.

• CulubuCulubu Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Everything about an unrelease game is always beautiful.