Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO - Still the TOP selling PC Game UK - Aug. 16th

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by sibs4455
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

If 92% of all PC games are downloaded it brings up a lot of quesitons both on this game as well as PC games in general.

1. If players are not not downloading from Steam (in which EOS is far down the list of best selling games) then where do they download and do we all honestly think the majority of PC gamers are NOT downloading from Steam? because they are not then with a Steam active user base of 75 million that would mean the PC gaming population is ginormus!

2. When it comes to PC vs Console wars if Steam data is not factored in its completely a waste of time.

Steam didn't have the game at launch ( afaik ) which is why it's numbers are so low. 

Steams numbers are low because they are charging £50 for the game plus more money for DLC, as I stated before you can buy the game for £11.99 inc DLC from elsewhere.

While we all use Steam the only time I now purchase from them is in their mega sales, it is far cheaper to get the latest games else where at a much better discounted price.

so here is the quesiton

Do most PC gamers use Steam to get their games?

If they do not then that means the PC gaming community is much larger than anyone had thought because Steam has 75 million active users and growing.

I personally am not convinced that most PC gamers download from other sources but I could be very wrong. If I am very wrong then PC gaming is mega fucking huge right now.

ADDED: i find it interesting how the fanboys are wanting to use box sales as a metric but not use Steam as a metric. bias much? I am suggesting that both of those metrics are not enough.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Consider this everyone.

1. box sales represents 8%

2. Steam sales represents the largest measurable chunk of the 92%

Those two are showing very different stories.

why would you select 1 over 2

as we speak in Steam

ESO: 1,243 In-Game

euro-truck simulator: 7,475 In-Game

I totally agree that Steam is not the first place to go for entry into an MMO but the numbers do create questions

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208

with digital downloads being the overwhemling majority of how PC gamers access games we need that data. Otherwise the truth can go either way.

How could it go either way.... you said it right there in your post. digital downloads are the overwhelming majority of how pc games are sold. If you know the box number already and it's a big number..... why would this game break that trend ? Nothing about the games population indicates it did.

ok let me break it down for you

8% of PC games are box sales

92% of digtial download.

So why does that matter? two main reasons.

1. the demographic of who downloads vs who buys boxes now is different. What is the gaming preference of those demographics? we dont know. It could be that those who prefer to buy boxes are only going to look at games in boxes thus the amount of options is far smaller. make sense? So when faced with Sims 3 or ESO they might all perhaps select ESO. Where as the download commuty is very different.

2. Given that ESO was not on Steam during opening week suggests that the amount of downloads was likely much smaller than it could have been. What is that exact number? we dont know. Download on opening week would have been 100% of people going to one place. the ESO site.

so given that the demographics of the two consumers are very different its not safe to assume either way.

ADDED: also if you look at the two posts from that site here in this thread you will notice something interesting.

ESO is number 1 for (full price) sales. For (all prices) they dont even make the list

100% safe to assume that digital sales outsold boxes? No, not safe. But its safe to assume that theres a very high chance that the game will follow the trend and digital sales outsold boxes. This is why it's called a trend, theres a very high chance it will follow the trend instead of being an anomaly, you are just making things way more complicated and more unlikely to happen, Occam's Razor.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

If 92% of all PC games are downloaded it brings up a lot of quesitons both on this game as well as PC games in general.

1. If players are not not downloading from Steam (in which EOS is far down the list of best selling games) then where do they download and do we all honestly think the majority of PC gamers are NOT downloading from Steam? because they are not then with a Steam active user base of 75 million that would mean the PC gaming population is ginormus!

2. When it comes to PC vs Console wars if Steam data is not factored in its completely a waste of time.

Steam didn't have the game at launch ( afaik ) which is why it's numbers are so low. 

Steams numbers are low because they are charging £50 for the game plus more money for DLC, as I stated before you can buy the game for £11.99 inc DLC from elsewhere.

While we all use Steam the only time I now purchase from them is in their mega sales, it is far cheaper to get the latest games else where at a much better discounted price.

so here is the quesiton

If they do not then that means the PC gaming community is much larger than anyone had thought because Steam has 75 million active users and growing.

I personally am not convinced that most PC gamers download from other sources but I could be very wrong. If I am very wrong then PC gaming is mega fucking huge right now.

ADDED: i find it interesting how the fanboys are wanting to use box sales as a metric but not use Steam as a metric. bias much? I am suggesting that both of those metrics are not enough.

Steam must be the biggest digital retailor of games on the net, everybody and their dog knows this, but what is obvious is that they no longer discount their games as much as they used to do outside of sales.

Smaller game company's on the net are now quite plentiful and these company's can and do discount games at a better price, competition is always a good thing for the consumer.

Originally posted by Manasong

with digital downloads being the overwhemling majority of how PC gamers access games we need that data. Otherwise the truth can go either way.

How could it go either way.... you said it right there in your post. digital downloads are the overwhelming majority of how pc games are sold. If you know the box number already and it's a big number..... why would this game break that trend ? Nothing about the games population indicates it did.

ok let me break it down for you

8% of PC games are box sales

92% of digtial download.

So why does that matter? two main reasons.

1. the demographic of who downloads vs who buys boxes now is different. What is the gaming preference of those demographics? we dont know. It could be that those who prefer to buy boxes are only going to look at games in boxes thus the amount of options is far smaller. make sense? So when faced with Sims 3 or ESO they might all perhaps select ESO. Where as the download commuty is very different.

2. Given that ESO was not on Steam during opening week suggests that the amount of downloads was likely much smaller than it could have been. What is that exact number? we dont know. Download on opening week would have been 100% of people going to one place. the ESO site.

so given that the demographics of the two consumers are very different its not safe to assume either way.

ADDED: also if you look at the two posts from that site here in this thread you will notice something interesting.

ESO is number 1 for (full price) sales. For (all prices) they dont even make the list

100% safe to assume that digital sales outsold boxes? No, not safe. But its safe to assume that theres a very high chance that the game will follow the trend and digital sales outsold boxes. This is why it's called a trend, theres a very high chance it will follow the trend instead of being an anomaly, you are just making things way more complicated and more unlikely to happen, Occam's Razor.

I totally agree that ESO digital sales will be higher than box sales. I do not agree however that it is a given that it will represent 92% of all sales.

Why? Because the demographics of those two consumer types is different. Its not a random sample.

what is the amount? i have no idea BECAUSE we can not extrapolate on a sample that is not random

Steam must be the biggest digital retailor of games on the net, everybody and their dog knows this, but what is obvious is that they no longer discount their games as much as they used to do outside of sales.

Smaller game company's on the net are now quite plentiful and these company's can and do discount games at a better price, competition is always a good thing for the consumer.

again..I ask..if the population of downloads is HIGHER outside of Steam then doesnt that mean PC gaming is far larger than we had thought?

you seem to want both. You are saying

Steam is the largest but everyone is going to other places..

well that is not possible, they wouldnt be the largest if everyone was going elsewhere

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

again..I ask..if the population of downloads is HIGHER outside of Steam then doesnt that mean PC gaming is far larger than we had thought?

well that is not possible, they wouldnt be the largest if everyone was going elsewhere

How on earth would I know if downloads are higher outside of Steam, please think before asking a dumb question.

I have stated a valid reason why I think ESO does not have the sales on Steam, that reason being that there is over £40 difference between Steam and other outlets.

I also stated that I shop elsewhere now for new game releases, that does not stop me from logging on to Steam everyday to update my massive list of games.

How on earth would I know if downloads are higher outside of Steam, please think before asking a dumb question.

I have stated a valid reason why I think ESO does not have the sales on Steam, that reason being that there is over £40 difference between Steam and other outlets.

I also stated that I shop elsewhere now for new game releases, that does not stop me from logging on to Steam everyday to update my massive list of games.

again. If what you are suggesting is true then it means PC gaming is MUCH larger than anyone had assumed.

Fact is however, you dont know and I dont know either. What we DO know however is that box sales represent 8% of total market and that Steam is the largest measurable chuck of the 92%. I personally wouldnt not use either metric as proof positive more over because its an MMO and not a single player game HOWEVER, anyone who is honest about their research would NOT use the 8% option over the larger sample.

result...inconclusive. More importantly number of sales doesnt even matter. ESO cost 200 million. Euro Truck 2 did not. the number of sales to show a profit will be very different.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Seems to me that some people are trying so hard to put negative spin on these numbers that they'll soon be able to "prove" that ESO fans only buy boxed copies, and therefore the 450K physical copies is all that was ever sold... image

Once that "fact" is established, they can then start working on the next level, which will be the discrediting of the 450K estimate... image

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Seems to me that some people are trying so hard to put negative spin on these numbers that they'll soon be able to "prove" that ESO fans only buy boxed copies, and therefore the 450K physical copies is all that was ever sold... image

Once that "fact" is established, they can then start working on the next level, which will be the discrediting of the 450K estimate... image

I think I am the one pontificating the most that the box sales do not proof anything and my position is solid.

1. I dont know what the actual sales are

2. I understand that PROFIT matter more than units sold when you are talking about a game that costs 200 million dollars

If I wanted to let my bias show I would suggest that the Steam sales are proof...but I am not

• FingzFingz Member UncommonPosts: 139

ESO is a pretty good game over all.  It's not a game I would pay a sub for, but I can see people liking it. Realistic appearing characters is a big draw for many along with the gritty setting.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Steam .... 110M on PSN, 48M on Xbox Live as well though.

92% of all PC sales are digital. Maybe.

UbiSoft gave a breakdown of WatchDogs initial 8M+ sales last month: 10-12% were for PC of which 70% were digital. OK 70% isn't 92% but in the right ball park.

What the numbers mean:
    • 3-3.5% of sales were PC retail box
    • 7-8.5% of sales were PC digital
    • 88-90% were non-PC.
    Which is why you can be number 1 in the PC chart but not feature in the top 40 all format.

(vgchartz got the WatchDogs numbers "wrong" as well - I put wrong in quotes because its an estimate. A reminder that the numbers they produce are estimates. Same with the sales charts essentially as well - accurate as far as they go.)
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Glad to atleast see a few gamers that are interested what happens ingame.

I honostly don't care about how it's doing number-wise aslong a game provides me with a fun experiance and the only true numbers that count are the number of players I can interact with, the ability to choose if I want to play with others or play solo which is what ESO provides that to me with very high quality Themepark-ish MMORPG experiance.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

so here is the quesiton

Why is this so important to you? You have >20 posts in this thread all basically saying the same thing using flawed understanding of statistics, math and just plain logic. Your posts all boil down to "I don't know about that"... fine, we heard you lol.

As to the latest logical fallacy in this post I'm quoting, here are some logical things to consider:

1. When a game is available exclusively on Steam, all digital sales go through Steam.

2. Most MMOs have a mix of direct digital sales from the publisher, box sales and Steam DL (if available)...sales are distributed along those lines

3. Digital sales of ESO started 5 months ago and continue to be available there. Steam sales started 1 month ago. Stands to reason there have been many more (unreported) direct digital sales than Steam sales since it has been available the other way 5 times longer and at release, the time when MMOs typically have the greatest interest for fans, it was not available on Steam.

And BTW, we find it interesting that a known hater (sorry to use that term but you did start it with "fanboys") seems to have such a personal stake in having his opinion validated by sales numbers... you really should consider that what others do and think really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Your insecurities are showing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by DMKano

Yeah - and they didn't even make it into the top 40 game sales chart on the same site.

So how many copies did they sell? A couple of thousand? 

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

So yeah top of PC chart sales and not even in top 40 game sales - it means PC games arent selling for shit and ESO total sales were low even as number one on that PC chart.

Who cares? Everyone and their dog knew that console games were selling a lot more than PC games. Why are we comparing ESO to console games?

Anyways ESO is one of the very few MMOs where I found tons of UK people playing. At launch everyone in my guild turned out to be from the UK lol. 

PC games now outsell console game. That trend started in 2012  I think

You mean PC only games outsell the console version?  

no...as a whole, PC games sell more than console games overall.

Trouble is a lot of the info people see is for ONLY boxes which is asine

I shouldn't have to tell you how wrong you are, but you are; incredibly wrong.  

The ONLY time a PC game sells more is when that game doesn't release on console.  

Let me guess?  You're going to claim that PC games sell so well that developers stopped producing boxes, and Microsoft abandoned their games for windows initiative.   

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Iselin

And BTW, we find it interesting that a known hater (sorry to use that term but you did start it with "fanboys") seems to have such a personal stake in having his opinion validated by sales numbers... you really should consider that what others do and think really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Your insecurities are showing.

The interesting thing with this tidbit is, if you replaced "hater" with "fanboy" in that paragraph ( I actually don't like the fanboy/hater labels but for just in this particular example), you could then easily be talking about the OP.  Interesting, yeh? 

That's why these forums are a two way street but is so often ignored due to biased behavior.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Not bad.  If you look on Amazon US, it's number 31, but what I found most interesting is when I add accessories to the list.  There are 2 different SWTOR cartel coin cards [the 39.99 (#3) and the 19.99(#41)] that outsell ESO (#95).  Seems SWTOR is still doing very well.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by gervaise1

UbiSoft gave a breakdown of WatchDogs initial 8M+ sales last month: 10-12% were for PC of which 70% were digital. OK 70% isn't 92% but in the right ball park.

What the numbers mean:
    • 88-90% were non-PC.
    Which is why you can be number 1 in the PC chart but not feature in the top 40 all format.

(vgchartz got the WatchDogs numbers "wrong" as well - I put wrong in quotes because its an estimate. A reminder that the numbers they produce are estimates. Same with the sales charts essentially as well - accurate as far as they go.)

But according to Sean PC games outsell console, not undersell compared to consoles by huge margins. image

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Zenimax should tell everybody how many boxes they sold and not hide behind dubious sources about their sales. Good enough to parade the beta figures but nothing about the number they sold. It will help to solidify their sales figures and boost the game numbers but unlike NC Soft who had to release the figures for Wildstar and GW 2 among others ,some folk will not believe any other source.
    Chamber of Chains

Consider this everyone.

1. box sales represents 8%

2. Steam sales represents the largest measurable chunk of the 92%

Those two are showing very different stories.

why would you select 1 over 2

as we speak in Steam

ESO: 1,243 In-Game

euro-truck simulator: 7,475 In-Game

I totally agree that Steam is not the first place to go for entry into an MMO but the numbers do create questions

Look at the charts for other MMOs on steam, they are less than 20k all-time, Steam isn't the most popular platform for MMOs, sooner or later people have to go to the game main site, to setup accounts, subscriptions, support, forums, adding Steam is just another thing people have to open, login and update before opening their game, Steam is a good platform for smaller games, where they integrate part of the platform with the game, but MMOs don't need it, they all do their own things and have little benefits to integrate their game on Steam.

Steam is a good platform to play games with, but it does a terrible job at advertising, I don't look into steam for new games, I look into steam once a game gets me interested enough to want to buy it, most people go learn about mmos from gaming news and reviews sites, then they jump into the game main site to learn  more about it.

The PC community is huge, it's just doesn't have enough statistics to compare to consoles, in my country theres only a few retail stores in the city, the PS3-4 are super expensive, ever since the launch of ps3 me and almost everyone that I know buy all games digitally from multiple sources, not only Steam, I love Steam mostly because of steam sales and ease to buy stuff, not much else.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by rodingo

The interesting thing with this tidbit is, if you replaced "hater" with"fanboy" in that paragraph ( I actually don't like the fanboy/hater labels but for just in this particular example), you could then easily be talking about the OP.  Interesting, yeh?

It's not my thread image

But I am inclined to give the OP a break in light of the well known history of ESO hate in this forum. Sometimes positive things are posted here but they always seem to attract dormant flies over from The Pub.

But, hey, I guess they have to hang out somewhere. It must be tough disliking MMOs - especially themeparks - but still thinking of oneself as an MMO fan... sounds depressing as hell.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by gervaise1

What the numbers mean:
    • 88-90% were non-PC.

Watch Dogs ran like shit on my computer at launch, last time I buy stuff from Ubisoft, they have a terrible reputation of not giving a shit about PC, I'm not surprised it sells little on PC.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

On one hand, good for Zenimax.

On the other hand, man look at all those games.... ESO is competing with a bunch of mediocre games and a few good but old ones. Are PC gamers in the UK doing well? doesnt look like it.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

Can't say my time in ESO was wasted. Can't say ESO is bad game. Can say I am not playing ESO now though.

I think they should start changing the game for the better instead of adding more high level PvE stuff... and making PvE grinding a requirement for everything.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by rodingo

The interesting thing with this tidbit is, if you replaced "hater" with "fanboy" in that paragraph ( I actually don't like the fanboy/hater labels but for just in this particular example), you could then easily be talking about the OP.  Interesting, yeh? 

That's why these forums are a two way street but is so often ignored due to biased behavior.

All that matters is what I think. I love having a forum to people what that is, and I enjoy knowing others feel the same.

Now about insecurities, When I'm in Cyrodiil, in the middle of a huge battle and I die, I think everyone saw it. I'm sure you can relate that to my forum swag somehow image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"