Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Westerns

LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

There have been a couple of attempts at making an MMO game set in the "Wild West" but they have all been failures: one is a F2P that's out of commission, one was cancelled before it was developed and another is a F2P graphically-limited map based text-like game.

Does anyone know if there's a game slated to at least be thought about, set in a style like Red Dead Redemption in an MMO form? I think that one game has proven there is a market for this theme but I have yet to see any real news on a game like it.

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I think with mmofps gaining popularity and the technology to do them well devs might be looking for setting like the wildwest where that style would fit better. Not a spammy pew pew shooter but a more tactical "realistic " style.

One problem with wild west is it would be all ranged and for some reason every mmo has to have a melee class. /rolleyes.

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I think with mmofps gaining popularity and the technology to do them well devs might be looking for setting like the wildwest where that style would fit better. Not a spammy pew pew shooter but a more tactical "realistic " style.

One problem with wild west is it would be all ranged and for some reason every mmo has to have a melee class. /rolleyes.

Actually, if they were going for the nitty gritty, realistic style, most gun fights took place at no more than a few feet from one another - Watch the scene in Wyatt Earp where his coat catches fire from being shot point-blank for a typical example of the period. Guns were just a way of ensuring that anyone and everyone could do mortal damage in a fight, regardless of physical stature.

I think we've all seen enough movies and scenes where people get in to fist fights all the time to realize there would still be some plausibility in a melee style class.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    a good base to make a wild west mmo would be Red Dead Redemption quality wise.

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by DMKano

I think the interest in a western - themed MMO is probably pretty low, but yes I'd still play it if a *quality one* came my way.

Westworld inspired MMORPG would be my pick

link for you youngins that have never heard of this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070909/

Yes it stars Yul Brynner - who is IMO > Chuck Norris. Yes I went there.

But... technically... Westworld also had Medieval World and oRoman World all tied into one Sci-Fi world :D

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

Nothing really exists, the wild west would make a good setting for a survival game like Rust, DayZ or Minecraft but for an MMO, I think its easier for devs to go with a fantasy setting because they can give players glowing swords and stuff that doesn't make sense in the real world. Real life in the wild west pretty much sucked - scarce resources, rampant disease, etc.

A true wild west MMO / simulation would only appeal to hardcore survival gamers, unless it was just a WoW-clone with a wild west theme.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Funny you say that.  I only play melee classes.  I feel the same about the cheese we call Ranged dps.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I think devs realize that more players enjoy the idea of a Wild West MMO than would actually enjoy such an MMO. People frequently post threads asking why there isn't one, but there are few, if any, threads discussing what they'd like to see from one. That's probably because anyone that's actually walked through the idea beyond the novelty of the theme realizes it would either be a griefer's paradise or far removed from anything remotely 'wild' west. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I think devs realize that more players enjoy the idea of a Wild West MMO than would actually enjoy such an MMO. People frequently post threads asking why there isn't one, but there are few, if any, threads discussing what they'd like to see from one. That's probably because anyone that's actually walked through the idea beyond the novelty of the theme realizes it would either be a griefer's paradise or far removed from anything remotely 'wild' west. 

Why not be a fantasy Wild West MMO.  Something like the old RPGs "Wild Arms".  I think a setting in the wild west with a fantasy/sci-fi twist could work well.  Just my opinion of course.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson

Why not be a fantasy Wild West MMO.  Something like the old RPGs "Wild Arms".  I think a setting in the wild west with a fantasy/sci-fi twist could work well.  Just my opinion of course.

A perfect example of not actually walking through the idea beyond the novelty.  Yeah, that would be GREAT as a massively multiplayer game. :/

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by MrMelGibson

A perfect example of not actually walking through the idea beyond the novelty.  Yeah, that would be GREAT as a massively multiplayer game. :/

I don't think you are really thinking outside of the box.  You don't have to make an mmo a Client Eastwood spaghetti western.  You could set up the setting however you want.  If an mmo is made well, it really doesn't matter what the setting is.  After all, the gameplay is what is most important.  

The real problem is that there are just too many bitter vets and mmo players who haven't gotten what they want.  No matter what ideas are brought up, they will always shoot them down.  I guess we should just stick to the standard boring fantasy blue print.  Or we can just sit around and talk about how really old mmos were the best and anything new sucks.  

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

There was one in development a few years back, supposedly, but it ended up just being a silly browser game instead of an actual MMO(I think they just changed directions during development).  I played it when they finally had beta/launch or whatever... can't even remember what it's called now. 

I remember being disappointed when it actually appeared(was signed up with them hoping for something genuine).  They touted it an MMO but it really was hardly that.

TBH, there is a severe shortage of anything that resembles genuine historical periods.  There has been a few pirate games along the way(Pirates of the Burning Sea, for instance), but not much beyond that.

Gloria Victis and a few others seem to be tapping the medieval era without the fantasy.

There's been a couple Roman era MMOs, but usually those revolve around mythology or are just very undeveloped/unfinished.

I, personally, always thought it would be a sweet spot to tap into something like the Mayan/Aztecs and things like that, be it historical or mythological or a mix of the two.

You'd think with so many fascinating real cultures around the world, that more people would try to devise games that delve into their history.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by DMKano
    The last one I remember was Bone Gulch I loved this one (for how laughably bad it was sorry)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFR_YIitiKQYes the KS failed imagine that. I think they had 8 backers...  But every time I watch that video I laugh  - 
    You havnt seen?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH-8AQg4sv8

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development