Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] World of Warcraft: Addressing the Criticism

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by jayemlegacy
    Originally posted by Wizardry

The bottom line is this"""HOW players are playing the game.Blizzard can many any speech they want but if all players  are doing like 99% of them ,are just rinse and repeat instance dungeons,that is not much to brag about at all.It also means that the word content is over used,you can narrow it down to one dimensional gaming and that is it.

In other words,you cant say we do this and that and is a very ambitious xpac yet players are still doing just ONE thing 99% of the time.Its engine is very outdated,its graphics are outdated,still linear questing and instances,really that has been done a million times by EVERY game.

World of Warcraft does everything better. Thats really all there is to it. Has it ever occured to you that not everyone has your same mindset? Could it be possible that people enjoy the graphics/questing/dungeons/raids in WoW?  I believe the amount of WoW subscribers answers that question. You can keep complaining/sitting around waiting for that new mmo to come out, and I hope it does because all gamers deserve a game they can really enjoy but in the end it isnt going to change that WoW is the best mmorpg out on the market.

5 million+ ex-subscribers beg to differ with you.  WoW may be the best MMORPG for you, but there are a lot of other folks who think it's not the best for them.  It is merely one of many MMORPGs on the market.  That, we can all agree on. 

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

The bottom line is this"""HOW players are playing the game.Blizzard can many any speech they want but if all players  are doing like 99% of them ,are just rinse and repeat instance dungeons,that is not much to brag about at all.It also means that the word content is over used,you can narrow it down to one dimensional gaming and that is it.

In other words,you cant say we do this and that and is a very ambitious xpac yet players are still doing just ONE thing 99% of the time.Its engine is very outdated,its graphics are outdated,still linear questing and instances,really that has been done a million times by EVERY game.

So what MMO you are playing which doesn't involve repetition of one or two tasks at the end game?

I will be waiting for your reply so that i can join this amazing MMO where there is no repetition and every time you log in everything is brand new.

Please do tell.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Pepeq

World of Warcraft does everything better. Thats really all there is to it. Has it ever occured to you that not everyone has your same mindset? Could it be possible that people enjoy the graphics/questing/dungeons/raids in WoW?  I believe the amount of WoW subscribers answers that question. You can keep complaining/sitting around waiting for that new mmo to come out, and I hope it does because all gamers deserve a game they can really enjoy but in the end it isnt going to change that WoW is the best mmorpg out on the market.

5 million+ ex-subscribers beg to differ with you.  WoW may be the best MMORPG for you, but there are a lot of other folks who think it's not the best for them.  It is merely one of many MMORPGs on the market.  That, we can all agree on. 

After 10 years 5 million players have moved on..how is that surprising? can you name  one another MMO on market to have even half of the subscriber base that WOW had for all these years?

Little fact of life. People get bored of things and move on. I like how you mention ex subscribers but forgot to mention 6 to 7 million who still enjoy the game. image

• jdizzle2k13jdizzle2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by greatskys
    Originally posted by Bannuk
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    Originally posted by Feonixo
    I have been playing Archeage lately.. I can never go back to WoW. I never really liked how WoW looked, but I got into it because my girlfriend was playing. My 12 year old son loves it, he gets to play it when he stays with me, and I think that is the market that Blizz are appealling to the most (whether they mean to or not).

Yep, all 7 million subs are just housewives and children.  You nailed it on the head. /rollseyes

Oh look, a fanboi got his feelings hurt.  You can tell because the only argument he has is the number of subscriptions WoW has, which has been falling for a while now and how many are of those are in Asia?  Oh wait, don't answer that.  It usually gets you fanbois all wound up because it seriously bloats the numbers and you don't want to admit that now do you?

I'm sorry your feelings got hurt because Feonixo's 12 year enjoys your beloved game.  What upsets you more, the fact that a 12 enjoys it, or the fact that his 12 year old is capable of playing at all and probably at a high level because the game is and always has been ridiculously easy?  No, don't answer that either.  A kid can't love a hardcore raiding game.  That would make people seriously reconsider how "hardcore" all those that play it really are.  I mean a hardcore raider can't be hardcore if they play a little kids game can they?  Oops.  Forget that question as well. 

The game has always appealed to kids and teenagers because of it's cartoon art style and like what Feonixo said or not, he is correct to a point.  Blizzard made a game that was easy so those that didn't have the skills/time to play EQ could finally have a game of their own.  Don't worry, EQ2 was designed for the same thing and that by itself isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Then they make it all cartoony to capture the younger gamers so they would get hooked early and grow up with the game.  Overall, not a bad strategy.

But I think what really got your goat was the fact that Feonixo's 12 year old son is not only playing but that he kicked your hardcore ass in PvP.  Just kidding.

By the way, only the third paragraph is serious.  Lighten up MrMelGibson, he wasn't suggesting that all WoW players are 12, but you prove that many act like it when anything negative is said about a dumbed down cartoony EQ clone that copies ideas from just about every other MMO developed since its release.  If you like it, great!  Log in and raid until you get that last drop you needed if that's what makes you happy. 

Lets look at all the rehashed troll arguments that we get against WOW.

1.) WOW's majority of subs come from Asia. (its no big deal because Asian players do not matter)

2.) Wow's sub numbers are bloated again thanks to Asian players.

3.) Wow is extremely easy and ALWAYS has been.

4.)  Wow is for 12 years old.

5.) Its cartoon style which automatically means it is for kids and teenagres (even though guy like him often have trouble differentiating between cartoon and stylised).

6.) WOW is nothing more but a dumbed down EQ cartoony clone. (even though anyone who played EQ knows that WOW and EQ hardly got anything in common)

Am i missing anything else? oh yeah...make sure you use word 'fanboy' repeatedly.

Thanks you for such a complete WOW bashing post full of every cliche that has been thrown around for last 10 years.

As long as your being fair in your criticisms I don't see it as trolling myself but I imagine people that like a game want to defend it .A lot of WoW players seem to be more extreme than most and fanatical in their devotion to Blizzard . That always strikes me as very strange to the point its almost a mental health issue . It kind of reminds me of attitude to Marvel comics I had from the age of 5 upwards .I just thought they were superior to DC because Marvel were very good at making you think that and given all my friends were into Marvel we kind of brainwashed each other into believing it . When I grew up a bit I tried DC and found they were perfectly fine and in fact in many cases they were better than Marvel . 

So you think he was being fair with his generalisations and back handed insults? if you think that is a sign of a healthy mental health then i have no more words to express myself here. But yeah lets ignore that and focus on WOW fans and their mental health issues.

This thread made me lol

Reread Bannuk's post, he said he wasn't serious except for one paragraph.

• GediasGedias Member UncommonPosts: 46

I don't think you can explain the WOW phenomenon away by just saying it came in at the right time, right place, or it had the bigger fan base.  EQ2, SWG, and EVE were released around the same time as WOW.  DAOC, UO, Lineage, FFXI and EQ1 were all chugging along.  The Warcraft RPG's were pretty popular games but would you say they had more fans than Final Fantasy, Tolkien, or Star Wars?

Whatever WOW did, it just did it better than the other MMOs out there at the time.  I imagine the reason is different for everyone but for me the reason I keep on coming back to WOW is that it is a more complete package than the other MMOs.  Yes other games have better graphics, or better combat, or better housing, or better crafting - but none of them manage to combine all those things together to provide a game that can keep my attention for more than a month or two.

But setting aside whether WOW is the anti-Christ or the foretold Messiah of MMOs, I wonder how some of the old-school features such as no flying or rooted casting will be received by the community.  When CATA went back to hard dungeons most of the community revolted against the idea.  And while I like the idea of no flying for open-world PVP and immersion, I'm not too fond of standing in one place while casting.  The only good thing about that is it might bring some balance between melee and casters in both PVP and PVE.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Ludwik
    WoW will stand the test of time.

Too many shenanigans from the other AAA developers to ever build a following.

Except Blizzard pulls their own Shenenigans with subscription AND cash shop being in place, with services that cost insane amounts that would be shunned if a F2P mmo were to use them. Its standing due to nostalgia and launching at the right time in mmo history. I don't think it would be dead if it hadn't, but it wouldn't be doing anywhere near as good if it didn't launch when it did. 

• Alec_StormAlec_Storm Member UncommonPosts: 19

I don't play WoW anymore and I really enjoyed the time I spent playing, I can't speak for others but I can only play a game for so long before it becomes mind-numbingly boring despite new expansions to freshen the game up.  The same goes for single player games with expansions or player-made mods.

As far as the WoW haters crying that WoW sucks or that it's dying & on it's last legs is just unrealistic childish wishful thinking.  WoW still boasts impressive subscription numbers, especially for a 10 year old game AND despite a slow steady decline in memberships. 

Consider Ultima Online, Everquest, or even Runescape, they are far older and haven't boasted large sub numbers in a decade or longer, however they do enjoy a healthy niche market and that's where WoW will eventually end up -- not dead & buried.

Even if I had never played WoW before just looking at the state of the game & membership numbers tells me that the naysaying haters are full of hot air and impotent rage because they personally don't like it, some of which have never even played it.  

• LowdinLowdin Member Posts: 1
    I'm one of the 5 million who unsubscribed but I'll be back.  WoW may not be the most challenging game (I play Eve for that) but it always takes me back to my happy place.  I'm not sure why anyone not vested in the game feels the need to post hate, or honestly, post at all.  There are plenty of other games to get involved in. 
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

the WOD expansion has to be better than MOP......HAS TO BE.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Bannuk
    Originally posted by Feonixo
    I have been playing Archeage lately.. I can never go back to WoW. I never really liked how WoW looked, but I got into it because my girlfriend was playing. My 12 year old son loves it, he gets to play it when he stays with me, and I think that is the market that Blizz are appealling to the most (whether they mean to or not).

Yep, all 7 million subs are just housewives and children.  You nailed it on the head. /rollseyes

Oh look, a fanboi got his feelings hurt.  You can tell because the only argument he has is the number of subscriptions WoW has, which has been falling for a while now and how many are of those are in Asia?  Oh wait, don't answer that.  It usually gets you fanbois all wound up because it seriously bloats the numbers and you don't want to admit that now do you?

I'm sorry your feelings got hurt because Feonixo's 12 year enjoys your beloved game.  What upsets you more, the fact that a 12 enjoys it, or the fact that his 12 year old is capable of playing at all and probably at a high level because the game is and always has been ridiculously easy?  No, don't answer that either.  A kid can't love a hardcore raiding game.  That would make people seriously reconsider how "hardcore" all those that play it really are.  I mean a hardcore raider can't be hardcore if they play a little kids game can they?  Oops.  Forget that question as well. 

The game has always appealed to kids and teenagers because of it's cartoon art style and like what Feonixo said or not, he is correct to a point.  Blizzard made a game that was easy so those that didn't have the skills/time to play EQ could finally have a game of their own.  Don't worry, EQ2 was designed for the same thing and that by itself isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Then they make it all cartoony to capture the younger gamers so they would get hooked early and grow up with the game.  Overall, not a bad strategy.

But I think what really got your goat was the fact that Feonixo's 12 year old son is not only playing but that he kicked your hardcore ass in PvP.  Just kidding.

By the way, only the third paragraph is serious.  Lighten up MrMelGibson, he wasn't suggesting that all WoW players are 12, but you prove that many act like it when anything negative is said about a dumbed down cartoony EQ clone that copies ideas from just about every other MMO developed since its release.  If you like it, great!  Log in and raid until you get that last drop you needed if that's what makes you happy. 

The hate is strong with this one.  Sorry, no butt hurt feelings here.  Just tried of you trolls trying so hard to bash a game that many people enjoy.  I don't even play WoW.  Haven't really played since Wotlk (other then a month during pandaria just to see the changes).  But, you are right.  I'm so obviously a fanboy.

The funny part is that you are obviously the EQ fanboy who is so mad your precious doesn't come close to WoW lol.  

• RedCurryRedCurry Member UncommonPosts: 70

Would they just freaking make "World of Warcraft II"! I sure hope they have plans of doing so. I suspect they do, maybe even working on it as we speak ;). Make it now while the gravy train is still rolling full steam and there's loads of cash to spend.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Pepeq

After 10 years 5 million players have moved on..how is that surprising? can you name  one another MMO on market to have even half of the subscriber base that WOW had for all these years?

Little fact of life. People get bored of things and move on. I like how you mention ex subscribers but forgot to mention 6 to 7 million who still enjoy the game. image

I can appreciate that you have common sense and logic.  But, I think you are wasting your time trying to debate with people who's sole purpose in life is to bash WoW and other popular mmos.  They don't play mmos anymore.  The mmo they play is now called "hate all mmos released after 2005 online".

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by redrain84

I use to play wow also, and this game doesn't give the people what they want. Wow is at its end of days, and it has been a long time coming. Every thing will meet its end at one point. This was once the great MMO but no more. They had their  fame now its time for them to sit down and reminisce over the days they once were great.

I play games now  where its the only one game the developer has so it updated often i.e. Marvel Heroes 2015.  Blizzard has to many games so one cant get the attention its need to flourish. Also they take way to long to come out with Expansions in my opinion and when they do the expansion isn't really good. They make you wait a long time they when its released it sucks. This is the Blizzard formula...

[mod edit] How are they on their way out with 7 million subs?    [mod edit]

Well the are only 6.8 million subs or should i say account for blizzard only see account not subs and btw my account which i have still count even if not active account so please example that fact. Also truth is blizzard care more of milk WoW then really make good content which make people leave for fact both Cata and MoP both fall really short compare to TBC and WOLK when come content and honest which so much money that blizzard earn each year the should have money for 2nd team that still can make content even if main team work on expansion heck if other mmo out still manage make expansion and gave out content which earn less money blizzard do why can't blizzard make effort?

• anno6755anno6755 Member Posts: 4

This maybe true but as a wow player for 10 years who has also tried other MMO's, Blizzard are sticking to something that works instead of trying to re-invent the wheel and fail! Having played ESO and Wildstar at launch both got boring or frustrating extremely fast,

ESO's realistic GFX style appeals more but the game play at veteran lvl was very poor and felt like a rushed, hashed together idea to slow down players to give the developers more time to get content ready, I've not played ESO since they made the changes to the Veteran ranks however.

Wildstar is fun and the combat is awesome however the pvp is unbalanced and feels like an after thought, the 'endgame' got boring fast as it was log on do the 2 daily area's and farm the 4 dungeons to get a silver medal for the raid attunement, you need near on perfect runs to get this and certain classes fair better, so PUGs are made up of Engineers, Stalkers, Warriors and a Medic healer. while the speed of content coming out is great a majority of players are struggling to see it.

I've not mentioned bugs as all have had them, its the game play that matters and WoW while being dated still appeals to more players than these newer titles by keeping it simple, putting difficulty tiers on the content so there's something for everyone. the average MMO player now is a different beast to what they were 10 years ago with less time to spend online per day/evening and spending hours in a dungeon or raid is a thing of the past, while there is always an exception the 'Hardcore' player is a minority.

• anno6755anno6755 Member Posts: 4

This maybe true but as a wow player for 10 years who has also tried other MMO's, Blizzard are sticking to something that works instead of trying to re-invent the wheel and fail! Having played ESO and Wildstar at launch both got boring or frustrating extremely fast,

ESO's realistic GFX style appeals more but the game play at veteran lvl was very poor and felt like a rushed, hashed together idea to slow down players to give the developers more time to get content ready, I've not played ESO since they made the changes to the Veteran ranks however.

Wildstar is fun and the combat is awesome however the pvp is unbalanced and feels like an after thought, the 'endgame' got boring fast as it was log on do the 2 daily area's and farm the 4 dungeons to get a silver medal for the raid attunement, you need near on perfect runs to get this and certain classes fair better, so PUGs are made up of Engineers, Stalkers, Warriors and a Medic healer. while the speed of content coming out is great a majority of players are struggling to see it.

I've not mentioned bugs as all have had them, its the game play that matters and WoW while being dated still appeals to more players than these newer titles by keeping it simple, putting difficulty tiers on the content so there's something for everyone. the average MMO player now is a different beast to what they were 10 years ago with less time to spend online per day/evening and spending hours in a dungeon or raid is a thing of the past, while there is always an exception the 'Hardcore' player is a minority.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Some bits I found interesting in Toms answers.

Staffing up the team was one of the reasons for the late expansion.

The amount and type of content in each zone will be larger than MOP.

When you first log into a 90 boosted character you will have just three abilities.

Players have always left the game at about the same rate as they do today.

End game will be in the Timeless Isle style not the MOP Dailies style.

If I could go back and not implement flying I would.
  • KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by Alalala

What drove me and my mates away was how childish WoW became - cuddly pandas, adorable pets, cute mounts.   Those expansion trailers are the only thing left in WoW that feels dark and adult; everything else feels like being in a kids' cartoon.

It was never dark or gritty unlike the Warhammer/40k origins where Blizzard stole it from. 

----

It always looked and felt like the LEGO version of MMO's. The 20 polygon characters, the oversized shoulder pads, it's a cartoon at best, a really crappy one at that.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I won't be playing WoW again or Warlords of Draenor. It's not just an outrageously priced expac, but I've moved on and won't be returning.

For those that go back for more of the same I hope you enjoy it,  it's your money but I've moved on to better pastures, and I'm looking forward to ArcheAge as well. GW2 is looking more and more appealing too.

• BossOfThisGymBossOfThisGym Member UncommonPosts: 34
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Will just log in on release like last expansion play it for a couple weeks might last a month maybe and then never play it again until I get a 7 day trial and then come back for that and only play it for 2 days and then get bored and not play it til next expansion.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by greatskys

It will never bring in new players as it once did there is far too much competition these days . I'm sure there will be new players though because its a very appealing game to children and its a good starter mmo . 

The over all trend will continue to be downward I suspect . 

It does and it will. Just live with fact Wow is still best MMO out there for majority of players. Said this I'm kind of player that can rarely play one game for eternity. Still can immagine to play Wow for next 10 or 20 years with pauses. Only difference now and maybe 5 years ago is at that time was only Wow worth investing time, subbing, .... I have been playing many other games, but rarely any was able to keep me for more then 2 or 3 months, while I could play Wow for full year. Only reason I'm currently not subbed (but purchased of course long ago WoD) is because of Rift and Swtor. My gaming time is split by this 3 games and as long as they produce expansions, will stay that way. With WoD out I will forget by all other games for at least half year, then guess back to Rift or Swtor. Or maybe some other filler up.

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Kangaroomouse

What drove me and my mates away was how childish WoW became - cuddly pandas, adorable pets, cute mounts.   Those expansion trailers are the only thing left in WoW that feels dark and adult; everything else feels like being in a kids' cartoon.

It was never dark or gritty unlike the Warhammer/40k origins where Blizzard stole it from. 

----

It always looked and felt like the LEGO version of MMO's. The 20 polygon characters, the oversized shoulder pads, it's a cartoon at best, a really crappy one at that.

I like how people claim someone "stole" something from another game or person without realizing the original game either took the idea from somewhere else improved on it and then the following people took that idea from that person and did their own take on it.  Look at movies, books, TV shows, games, Product and you'll get the idea that someone took it from somewhere else and tried to make it better.  Hard for anything to be original without someone claiming it's from this and this source material.

Not that none of those cute little pets or cute mounts have not made their way into some of the other games (Firefall, ArcheAge, etc.) , as it seems people like to collect them/or have them out when no adventuring.

When WoW first started to show it's game, people (some, not all of course) were amazed by the looks of it.  Sure it was cartoon looking but it wasn't a rough look as some of the current games were looking or it wasn't a game that was overly childish in this area either.  Least it wasn't a turn off in this department for the number of subscriptions it had back then and still does now.

WoW has stood the time and kept going strong, sure it had lost some subscribers to other games due to wanting to try something new or these new games make claims of something more.  Even some of the players who went to those games make the claims that my game is better then WoW and this is why, though they may not even be with that game and on to a new game making the same claims for this new one against Wow.

Guess what, WoW's still there and they haven't had to go F2P like some of the other games that made claims they were better then WoW.  Though F2P worked for these games, but not for all.  They still can't stand up to the success of WoW only try and whittle away at WoW's numbers.

Meh, this is way too much typing to do in the morning.    So anyways WoW has been successful you can like it or not that's fine.  I think it's a jealousy thing that people keep coming back and trying to stir up trouble.  They will hardly ever admit it, but the signs are there.

Originally posted by Nightfyre
    Originally posted by Kangaroomouse

----

I like how people claim someone "stole" something from another game or person without realizing the original game either took the idea from somewhere else improved on it and then the following people took that idea from that person and did their own take on it.  Look at movies, books, TV shows, games, Product and you'll get the idea that someone took it from somewhere else and tried to make it better.  Hard for anything to be original without someone claiming it's from this and this source material.

While you may be right in some cases, it certainly does not apply in this case:

When Blizzard was developing the original Warcraft, they tried to get the Warhammer Fantasy Battle license from Games Workshop, so that it could be released as an official Warhammer game. GW turned them down, so when Warcraft was released in 1994, it didn't have the Warhammer name on it, but it drew heavy inspiration from the WFB world.

----

Starcraft in its turn pulled a whole lot of inspiration from WH40K (take a look at the SC Space Marines versus the WH40K Space Marines, the Zerg versus the Tyranids, the Protoss versus the Eldar, etc.).

----

So in fact the ideas that seem so familiar to you were part of the Warhammer 40K universe first, and Blizzard borrowed/stole/drew inspiration from them (however you choose to interpret it) to create their own games after getting the boot from GamesWorkshop.

When WoW first started to show it's game, people (some, not all of course) were amazed by the looks of it.  Sure it was cartoon looking but it wasn't a rough look as some of the current games were looking or it wasn't a game that was overly childish in this area either.  Least it wasn't a turn off in this department for the number of subscriptions it had back then and still does now.

WoW looked bad when it was released. It was extremely low polygon for the time, bad low resolution textures and generally of low quality in any visual aspect.

----

There is no denying that it hit a spot with the new MMO crowd growing up that instantly adopted it with their low end PCs being able to run it decently.

----

Games like FFXI for example looked and still looks much better than WoW ever did and they came out at roughly the same time.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    They never applied for the license from Warhammer.
    Originally posted by Horusra
    They never applied for the license from Warhammer.

Wrong, GamesWorkshop refused the license to them and after Blizzard still released Warcraft and ripping them off even more with Starcraft GamesWorkshop sued Blizzard and they settled out of court.