Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many play their PC MMO on their TV screen?

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I play MMO on my TV through a HDMI cable, I asked my guild and a few did that.

Is this more common than before with the super cheap massive TV screens you can buy?

I haven't turned on my PC screen in months. What do you use? Have you converted to our side?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I do it the other way around. My PC monitor is also my TV. (actually two monitors)

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    I do it the other way around. My PC monitor is also my TV. (actually two monitors)

See, I didn't even know you could do that, should have added that to the poll.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    My tv is broke and my pc monitor is pretty big.  But yeah I was thinking the other day tv's keep dropping in price but computer and components seem to only be getting more expensive.  So I was thinking about a tv in my next rig.  It's kinda funny how average size screen isn't popular anymore.  You either go very small DS style or huge wide screen.

Originally posted by CalmOceans

ah well to be clear when I say 'TV' what I mean is Hulu, Netflix, youtube amazon. I get all my 'TV" content from the internet 

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    My tv is broke and my pc monitor is pretty big.  But yeah I was thinking the other day tv's keep dropping in price but computer and components seem to only be getting more expensive.  So I was thinking about a tv in my next rig.

I saved on speakers too on my last PC build, since the HMDI cable sends the audio signal to the TV speakers.

PC monitors have speakers too sometimes, but they're kind of so-so, TV speakers are alright for me.

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310
    I just recently changed it because I was  having errors with trying to play certain games but I use to use a 32 in screen as my monitor. It had VGA plugins so I used that as my monitor. Cost me like $200 5 years ago. Couldnt really beat that price.
  • EriccomptonEriccompton Member UncommonPosts: 51
    same here
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont watch TV so.... My old HDTV was for both consoles and PC. I got rid of my TV because despite its size (32¨) it was only 720p. Now i only have a 1080p PC monitor and i use it for both PC and consoles.

A decent sized 1080p tv for my console is last on my hardware upgrade list. If i can use a single screen that is enough for me, for now. But yeah i need a tv for my console because it looks like shit on a pc monitor, if i sit far i can barely read without eye strain. That doesnt happen on a tv.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I've actually started using my PS3 at my computer desk with my 27" monitor and I actually much prefer it over my 70" Sharp Aquos or my Samsung 55" tv's

Who would of ever have thunk it. image

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    My tv is broke and my pc monitor is pretty big.  But yeah I was thinking the other day tv's keep dropping in price but computer and components seem to only be getting more expensive.  So I was thinking about a tv in my next rig.

I saved on speakers too on my last PC build, since the HMDI cable sends the audio signal to the TV speakers.

PC monitors have speakers too sometimes, but they're kind of so-so, TV speakers are alright for me.

I have a bit of a hybrid set up. I use my gaming laptop, hooked up via HDMI to my 36" TV, and sound either goes through my Sony bluetooth surround sound system or my Motorola bluetooth workout headphones (if the wife and kids are sleeping). I use a gaming keyboard and mouse as well.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

If people playing MMOs on their TV blew your mind, I've got one for you. The last few years I've actually spent the majority of my time playing on a TV screen in my bedroom, while lying in bed. If there was like a serious raid or I needed a mic, I'd use my desktop in a different room, as not to wake my wife, but generally she doesn't mind it any more. If it's too quiet she actually asks if I'm going to put some sound on, lol. 

So I double-up my pillow, prop up my knees and put the keyboard on them, and have the mouse on a mousepad on the bed beside me. I've actually nodded off a couple times during raids. Since LFR content in WoW, I've sometimes nodded off during raids and still not died :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I do a mix of both. But this past year I have played more PC titles on my 46' TV than my pc monitor. I also have a good surround sound setup for my TV which also is used by my PC via HDMI.

For me this is a great setup. maybe not ideal for latency but I cant tell the difference and I am not into competitive PC games where every last MS counts. Add to the fact that playing in 1080 is just fine for me and I think I will use a TV from now on.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

ah well to be clear when I say 'TV' what I mean is Hulu, Netflix, youtube amazon. I get all my 'TV" content from the internet 

TV cards were rather common in the 90s that allowed you to just jack in the TV in the computer.

For me there is no way I would use a TV screen, too bad resolution on anything affordable and my 28" Dell runs 2560 x 1440 which is pretty nice. Don't even own a working telly.

I watch everything on my screen.

Originally posted by Loke666

TV cards were rather common in the 90s that allowed you to just jack in the TV in the computer.

For me there is no way I would use a TV screen, too bad resolution on anything affordable and my 28" Dell runs 2560 x 1440 which is pretty nice. Don't even own a working telly.

This is true. However for me it hit me in 2008 that there was nothing on TV that I wanted to watch that I couldnt get from streaming services so I cut the cord.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Loke666

I will have to agree the high resolution is nice. Took me a bit to get used to everything in 1080, but after I did the TV is my monitor of choice now.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Four gamers in the house, and no one plays on the TV screen.  Even when folks are on the sofas, they're using their laptops.

And the TV itself goes through an HTPC computer.  But not for games.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Since my xbox 360 died I went ahead and set up my flat screen on my computer desk. Not sure if I can go back...
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    I prefer gaming on smaller screens like a 27 inch monitor over a 55 inch T.V. I only use my T.V. for my consoles, I feel that a a big monitor is too much for my eyes I can't see as well as I can on smaller monitors.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I play on my PC screen. Isn't there a difference in the clarity, or pixels, between TVs and Monitors? I seem to recall long ago that TVs had a worse picture quality than PC monitors. Is that still true today?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• RivolRivol Member UncommonPosts: 79

I tried plying on my 46" plasma through a HDMI cable and it felt like there was input lag from my keyboard and mouse. Whether it was real or imagined I don't know but it ruined my pvp.

So I just bought a 27" monitor

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I play on 2 21" LED monitors. Never liked the idea of playing on my TV even though I could. Besides, my wife would get upset if I bumped her off the TV to play one of my games. Actually, I learned early on that it was better to have my computer gaming room separate from my TV watching room. Much more peaceful that way.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    After I started playing on my 42 inch LCD TV I never went back, and sitting on couch is the best part.
  • ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    I used to play on a big HDTV before the screen burned out. Was great for third person RPGs, though for FPS games I prefer a smaller 24" or something.
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

I've been using a full HD 40" Toshiba LCD TV as my monitor for the last three years. The 1920 x 1080 resolution is fine for games and it sits on my desk instead of a conventional monitor.

It's not ever used as a TV. I've got an LG 60" in the lounge for that.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Its what I do also.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."