Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The 5 Best User Generated Content Systems in MMOs

13»

Comments

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Originally posted by n00bit
    Surprised I didn't see Ryzom on the list, it was one of the first games I know of that came out with a user content-creation system. Shit, I might just go back and play it again now that I think about it...

I was thinking the same. It's been a while since I played Ryzom, but recalled the Ring. Looking at the Ryzom site I didn't see any reference to it though. As olepi mentioned, I guess it's no longer available. To be fair, out of the five listed, I only played CoH and EQ2, and did not really use any tools for generating content, so can't really praise or knock them.

If I were making the list on games I had played, i would have put Ryzom and SWG in there. i'd also echo the others who have said EvE. I wouldn't list EvE so much for "here are tools to make things with" as the game itself being largely geared toward players generating the content. 

All that in mind, it is neat to see user generated content appearing to get a second wind (MMO or not). Don't get me wrong, there seems to have always been some market for this and some games to satisfy that market. It just that there seem to be an increasing number of games listing this sort of thing as a primary feature. Planetary Explorers, TUG, Landmark, and various others whose names escape me. I know these aren't MMOs for the most part (is Landmark being listed as one?), but one can hope the trend leads to varied implementations in more MMOs.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    No Saga of Ryzom or SWG?

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• JyliJyli Member UncommonPosts: 6

Second Life should probably be #1.  I've never played it and I laughed at people who did, but it is in my mind the "granddaddy" of user generated content.

Also surprised Starcraft or Starcraft 2 didn't make it it on the list or at least an honorable mention.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

even when the writer lays out exactly what this article is referring to when talking about user created content, NM...

good article, Star Trek andNeverwinter are very well deserved. anything that's been shut down or in alpha/beta does not