Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The 5 Best User Generated Content Systems in MMOs

Comments

• acelee74acelee74 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    well i for one know for sure that this list is backwards,  cause second life is easily number 1,   cause its entire game is player built,  there is no game out there that is 100% player built like second life is.
  • trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146

"Good old City of Heroes. It wouldn’t be a proper list about the “Best ___” in MMOs without this game making an appearance."

Showing your bias much? Sorry but while it was a cool game, stating it belongs in EVERY best ____ list is just plain wrong. There is a reason it doesn't exist anymore.

• bmorrisonbmorrison Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Saw STO, NW and CoH in the top 3 (in any order) Leaving satisfied
  • shozikushoziku Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Loved the CoH mission architect.  Sad to realize the ones I made are gone forever now, but hey it was a great run.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by trancefate

"Good old City of Heroes. It wouldn’t be a proper list about the “Best ___” in MMOs without this game making an appearance."

Showing your bias much? Sorry but while it was a cool game, stating it belongs in EVERY best ____ list is just plain wrong. There is a reason it doesn't exist anymore.

If you're referring to NCSoft being money grubbing assholes, then yes, there's a reason. Otherwise, no.

However, as much as I loved City of Heroes, I really think lists like these shouldn't include games like CoH and SWG that are no longer running.

<3

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I think a system like the foundry would do very well in certain MMO´s..... espescially those that are not endgame driven....

GW2 and ESO come in mind...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

Originally posted by trancefate
    "Good old City of Heroes. It wouldn’t be a proper list about the “Best ___” in MMOs without this game making an appearance." Showing your bias much? Sorry but while it was a cool game, stating it belongs in EVERY best ____ list is just plain wrong. There is a reason it doesn't exist anymore.

If you're referring to NCSoft being money grubbing assholes, then yes, there's a reason. Otherwise, no.

However, as much as I loved City of Heroes, I really think lists like these shouldn't include games like CoH and SWG that are no longer running.

I can see that. MA was fine in COH but I had issues with it. I think because it gave rewards and xp that it killed the real world. Killed in the sense that people weren't playing those other parts to the same degree as after MA. Should have not added rewards/XP.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

What....?

Neverwinter's foundry is kind of pathetic..  It's chalk full of "Easy exp" "right click a barrel, collect your reward" "Follow this NPC and gain credit for your daily quest" "Easy achievements" "100 mobs locked in a cage", etc., etc. quests..

The ones that avoid that are so few and offer nothing in comparison to the ones built for a purpose that the whole system is a joke..

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

It depends on what you define as an UGC system. Is it only something apart from the game that you use to design something like a dungeon and includes scripts (what I am calling hard-coded) or is it any sort of way that players can make their own content (soft-coded)?

I can't speak for the Cryptic games on the list since I never played STO nor NWN and when I played CoX it was well before the existence of any UGC system.

However, I think that one of the Cryptic games should have been replaced with SWG because in that game a group of players could build their own cities complete with RPG features such as canteenas that could be operated entirely by player entertainers and crafters. Each type of "class" if you want to call it that had their role and player interactions were absolutely necessary. If CoX made the list, since it is a closed down game, surely SWG should have as well. It was not a 'hard-coded' UGC system like the dungeon makers mentioned in this article, but it was definitely a 'soft-coded one'.

By my defintion, Minecraft should definitely be on that list too.

I agree overall with the list though I think SL should be number 1 and again it is not a 'hard-coded' system like in EQ2 or NWN. It has no real competition for what you can design and script in comparison to what is on offer in other MMOs. If you want to design a drivable Ferrari, you can. If you want to make a death star environment, you can. All of that is done by players for other players, so yeah, everything else sort of pales in comparison.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

So second lfie that is built from te ground up to allow players to basically create anything and any type of game within the game is number 5 ?

You can basically create anything you want in second life.. yet the other games you listed are basically limited to creating new quests..

I am sorry but SL should be at the top of this list.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

"Second Life is essentially a giant, social MMO with nearly limitless possibilities."

In the picture you can see avatars dressed like pimps and whores, which reveals the astonishing truth. SL is not a MMO, well we all knew this, but not David apparently.

The parsity and poor showing of the examples on this list shows how underused user generated content is. As it is one of the only answers to content locust munching, the industry clearly needs to focus more time on user modding.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Some will disagree, but I'd have to add Minecraft Multi-player to this list. The better servers can have dozens if not a hundred or more players, and the content certainly is player generated. 
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Not offically alive but swg is miles ahead in this
  • tantraonlinetantraonline Member Posts: 1
    Glad to see Star Trek Online in there. Kudos! Hopefully Tantra Online will be on the top list soon.
  • ZodosZodos Member UncommonPosts: 12

All articles in MMORPG.com have personal opinions on it, that's why some like reading that author and others another one. No matter how much imparcial data can be collected, all can be manipulated to justify your own point of view. It's just a matter of choice really.

Personally, I don't agree with this list simply because none of the games listed is appealing to me, but it was a good read nonetheless. I didn't know EQ2 had such complex system for example.

• FingzFingz Member UncommonPosts: 139

Minecraft is the best way to do user generated content in my opinion.  Harvest, build anything from a mud hut to a castle to an underground fortress with a built in computer.

Some say Minecraft isn't an MMO, but there are many Minecraft servers out there with over 100 players.

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Surprised I didn't see Ryzom on the list, it was one of the first games I know of that came out with a user content-creation system. Shit, I might just go back and play it again now that I think about it...
  • theocculttheoccult Member UncommonPosts: 51

My list would include:

•  SWG (still playing)
    •  Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption (2000 - Nihilistic/Activision)
    •  [The Original] Neverwinter Nights (2002 - BioWare)
    •  APB

V:TMR amd NWN (2002):
    After you've been spoiled, being able to create skins, models, maps, animations and scripts from scratch, Cryptic's options surely pale in comparison.

APB:
    The in game character editor and options for vehicle customization, etc., are truly amazing.

SWG:
    As others have stated above, there's still no comparison.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Fingz

Minecraft is the best way to do user generated content in my opinion.  Harvest, build anything from a mud hut to a castle to an underground fortress with a built in computer.

Some say Minecraft isn't an MMO, but there are many Minecraft servers out there with over 100 players.

Glad I'm not the only one who agrees with Minecraft! Not only what you say, but there are so many mods out there that the variety of things one can do in game is astounding. On top of that, the Adventure mode allows people to create custom adventure maps that are far and away more complex than anything one could make with any other UGC system.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    The only redeeming feature of Neverwinter was the UGC.  Unfortunately, as good as it was/is I left the game after the Caturday fiasco. 
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

The Ryzom Ring was a great scenario editor; it allowed the creator to play along with people playing, either as a regular player or as an invisible dungeon master.

Alas, Ryzom is still up and running, but the Ring is not. Some of my best times ever were watching people solve my scenarios.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

SWG not in the list  on top ?

and Ryzom belongson the list  too.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• SchroesCatSchroesCat Member UncommonPosts: 44

(Barring 2nd life, which offers many freedoms on another level, but lacks the tools for creating a coherent world of your own, from what I know [never really tried it])

I think you missed the one game that truly supported user generated content  ( I think more than any of the above) - within the limitations that it is geared towards classical "fantasy settings": Neverwinter NIghts (1). A hallmark in empowering users to create content - online, multiplayer, shareable and customizable. I have yet to see anything like it in terms of empowering the "users".

NWN2? Not really. A bit more graphics but less power to the users and creative souls.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by zellmer

What....?

Neverwinter's foundry is kind of pathetic..  It's chalk full of "Easy exp" "right click a barrel, collect your reward" "Follow this NPC and gain credit for your daily quest" "Easy achievements" "100 mobs locked in a cage", etc., etc. quests..

The ones that avoid that are so few and offer nothing in comparison to the ones built for a purpose that the whole system is a joke..

When I played neverwinter around launch I found some excellent, story driven ones that were a blast.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Neverwinter and Star Trek Online both have my favorite UGC systems. Neverwinter Foundry is like playing old school 1st edition pnp modules and the stories in STO are top notch.

I consider NWN more of a modding system like Skyrim and not the same as an MMO UGC system. There is a lot you can do in a single player or limited multi-player game that you can't do in a massively multi-player persistent world. Also the NWN  persistent worlds had too many hoops to jump through, both technical and social for me.

Love the player content in both games.  It's amazing how well done lo of them are.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey