Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Knowing the state of EQNext today, I wonder if TenTonHammer and MMORPG have any regrets over e3 best

DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,494Member Uncommon

So SOE Live 2014 - EQNext is still not even in pre-alpha, we were shown a video of gameplay.

No dates for anything were announced, not even rough estimates.

The game is nowhere near ready for any kind of testing.

Yet back at E3 2013 - two reputable sites gave it the best *GAME* of the show award.

I wonder if they knew the true state of the "game" they were shown if they would have changed their minds.

The state of EQNext back at e3 2013 was pre-tech-concept demo at best.

Comments

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,494Member Uncommon

To err is human, to correct is divine - at least thsts what a journalism professor told me once.

Should game sites allow journalists to change their stories after new facts come to light?

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Chicago, ILPosts: 2,224Member Uncommon
    We live in strange days, where games unreleased earn game of the show, and Chris Roberts can make more money by making promises on Kickstarter than most games can by actually launching something.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,765Member Uncommon
    The award was for which pre-release game seemed most promising at the time.  It has about as much meaning as preseason college football rankings.  If a correction is necessary, the launch review, or perhaps an article announcing the cancellation of the game, will serve just fine as that correction.
  • TamanousTamanous Edmonton, ABPosts: 2,125Member Uncommon

I thought it was very well presented to us that EQNext simply will not be playable until Landmark is mostly complete as too many tools are shared. EQNext was said to be about 60% done but not the right bits to make it playable.

Think of it like a torrent. Even though you dl'd 60% of it it doesn't mean you can play it yet.

OP's frustration is the inability to play it as soon as he wants. This is NEVER an issue for Blizzard. Why is that? Because they say their games are ready when they are ready. SOE says the exact same thing about this game yet that isn't good for you? Why?

The game being ready earlier has no connection to how good the game may be. In fact it would likely make it worse. Some website getty giggitty over the game only mean SOE does a good job at promoting and websites drink the kool-aid. When the game comes out it won't matter how many rewards it gets prior. There is no connection with the quality of release ready product.

Chill.

You stay sassy!

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,564Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Quizzical
    The award was for which pre-release game seemed most promising at the time.  It has about as much meaning as preseason college football rankings.  If a correction is necessary, the launch review, or perhaps an article announcing the cancellation of the game, will serve just fine as that correction.
    I don't recall that stipulation. From what I remember, they simply said "best in show" and proceeded to tell us we were all going to poop ourselves. Their words not mine heh.
  • Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 17,934Member Uncommon

They did make a great presentation and therefore won the price. Doesn't mean that the game are close to release or tell us much about how good the game really is but it still was fair.

Besides, it takes weeks to really know how good a MMO are anyways. Nothing you can learn on E3 even if they show the full game, it would just give a hint and nothing more.

SOE did put a bit too much into marketing that early though.

Originally posted by Loke666

They did make a great presentation and therefore won the price. Doesn't mean that the game are close to release or tell us much about how good the game really is but it still was fair.

Besides, it takes weeks to really know how good a MMO are anyways. Nothing you can learn on E3 even if they show the full game, it would just give a hint and nothing more.

SOE did put a bit too much into marketing that early though.

I am not blaming SoE for putting on a masterpiece marketing presentation - I am questioning if another studio that was not known showed off some super early pre-concept demo that was super slick, wouldn't they get asked 

Where is the game??

Shouldn't it at least be playable by journalists to be considered as a *game*?

I agree with other posters above, yes in the grand scheme of things awards mean nothing gameplay and players will be the final judge.

BUT

As far as awards go on MMO sites - that article was sort of a big deal - best in show award for a non-existing game? A promise?

This deserves some attention IMO

• syriinxsyriinx New York, NYPosts: 1,059Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano
    As far as awards go on MMO sites - that article was sort of a big deal - best in show award for a non-existing game? A promise?

No it doesn't.

What else was really worthy? 

EQN still looks very interesting, Im just not a fan of action combat.  Does seem to have a very interesting multi class system though.  Maybe its something I would play a few hours a week like I would an ARPG.

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Michigan, MIPosts: 234Member
    The greatest MMO's are always those that are yet unreleased - Vic Dynamo
    Originally posted by syriinx

No it doesn't.

What else was really worthy? 

EQN still looks very interesting, Im just not a fan of action combat.  Does seem to have a very interesting multi class system though.  Maybe its something I would play a few hours a week like I would an ARPG.

I think you are missing the point - which is completely unfinished, hardly conceputalized tech demos winning awards for best in show.

Where does it stop - Blizzard could come in and show some slides of ideas that have for WoW3 - that they won't start working on in another 15 years ...

Where does it stop?

There must  be some sort of regulation that separates "way too early to be considered a game" 

from

"actual playable product"

It's not a question of worthiness - it's a question of eligibility to even be considered a game first.

Otherwise lets just give awards for best *ideas*

• JemAs666JemAs666 Wylie, TXPosts: 143Member Uncommon
    I guess bottom line is why do you care?  So what they got some worthless award given to them by no real authority.  Just some random, yet popular, game site on the Internet.
  • syriinxsyriinx New York, NYPosts: 1,059Member Uncommon

There must  be some sort of regulation that separates "way too early to be considered a game" 

from

"actual playable product"

There isn't.

Game does have awesome ideas and it had a tech demo that was impressive, and there wasn't any worthy competition.  And why are you bringing up a year old topic?

Wasn't it Bill that gave the award?  Take it up with him via private message.

In the mean time, why not talk to MLB about reversing Verlander's MVP award because a. pitchers shouldn't win MVP and b. he sucks now.

• VolgoreVolgore Posts: 2,202Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by JemAs666
    I guess bottom line is why do you care?  So what they got some worthless award given to them by no real authority.  Just some random, yet popular, game site on the Internet.

My guess is because "best in show" wasn't Archeage.

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp SydneyPosts: 281Member

This is like asking can we disqualify a girl who won a beauty pageant in 2013 because she subsequently put on 60 pounds and is now an obese troll today. Derp.

They give the award to the game they are most impressed by, for whatever reason, subject to criteria that they themselves set at the time. They make no claims to be fortune tellers and set a release date for the game, to my knowledge. They have no need to correct themselves, as they were giving their opinion. A sportswriter does not have to go back and apologize for saying x team was the best team in whatever league in 2013 just because that team was crap in 2014. Honestly, this is making a thread just for the sake of making a thread.

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger La Mesa, CAPosts: 268Member
    Still number 1 on this websight for most anticipated game, even with the all the hate. 
    Originally posted by Victor_Kruger
    Still number 1 on this websight for most anticipated game, even with the all the hate. 

You do realize that the very  E3 award I am questioning  played a huge part in that right?

Because I think both MMORPG and Tentonhammer were frankly *swindled* - if they knew that EQNext wasn't even going to be in pre-alpha *a year and a half later* - yeah I don't think they would have even considered it as a valid candidate.

• NevulusNevulus Miami Beach, FLPosts: 1,288Member Uncommon

You do realize that the very  E3 award I am questioning  played a huge part in that right?

Or maybe the fact that lots of people are building great things in EQ Landmark and have high hopes for EQ Next, especially after that pretty cool looking combat video released. Maybe that's why it's high up there.

But that's just my guess. Just like you're just guessing as well. You know nothing about what plays a huge part in what.

When did you become so cynical man?  =/

• Ender4Ender4 milwaukee, WIPosts: 2,253Member

Considering the games released since have been complete garbage and EQN and ArcheAge still look like the only chances at a non terrible MMORPG due out in the next few years I'm fine with it.

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Colorado Springs, COPosts: 367Member Uncommon
    I do believe that those events need to change the rules on the games they give awards to.  If the game isn't in beta (maybe alpha) then they can be looked at but before that stage they should not get any awards expect maybe most anticipated game.
  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,966Member Uncommon

Because I think both MMORPG and Tentonhammer were frankly *swindled* - if they knew that EQNext wasn't even going to be in pre-alpha *a year and a half later* - yeah I don't think they would have even considered it as a valid candidate.

Interestingly enough, back in 2013 I never expected this game to release any time before 2016, why were you or anyone else expecting anything different?

BTW, winning best in show is pretty easy considering how low a bar the rest of the market is setting.

I mean it sort of goes like this..... AAA developer announces they are not going to make another standard theme park MMO...... that's it, best in show.

I think everyone is really, really getting tired of rehashing the same old ideas.

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• flizzerflizzer Manchester, NHPosts: 1,550Member Uncommon
    Let's face it , different rules of journalism/reporting, whatever you wish to call it, apply to big name companies like Sony.  If it was a smaller , less known company, we all know how this would be handled. 
  • UtinniUtinni Richmond, VAPosts: 380Member Uncommon

To err is human, to correct is divine - at least thsts what a journalism professor told me once.

Should game sites allow journalists to change their stories after new facts come to light?

As long as journalism is payed for by ad revenue you won't see this.

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Metairie, LAPosts: 152Member

It was number 1 before the award was given.

• AlleinAllein San Diego, CAPosts: 1,655Member Uncommon

Firstly, do you know exactly what they were shown or have been told? TTH played an earlier version of EQ3, maybe they knew more then or now than we do, I have no clue.

Second, it was "best in show" not "best upcoming", maybe it should of been the other or even both, what I do know is it's pretty sad that a possible pre-alpha tech demo out did games about to be released and that says a lot. Should they have excluded it from the runners? Maybe, but I'm not going to write an email to the review board and complain.

Honestly don't know why you care as others have said. I don't care what the hype meter reads or what any site says. I have my own eyes and opinion. Seems your are just reaching for anything to complain about at this point. You seem like a bright gamer, no idea why you would put any stock in any reviewer, site, judge, whatever. Do you really play games based on who wins these meaningless awards?

You seem to strongly dislike EQN, yet keep going on and on about it. EQN must be pretty bad if people have to go out of their way to make a point of it to save everyone else from falling into the trap.

Here's something from EQN er I mean Disney for you...