Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next New Combat and Classes Video SOE Live 2014

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Looks entirely boring :(

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

That looks.. awful.

Truly. Doesn't look next gen at all, in fact looks worse than many current gen.

I guess it is true - the next decent MMOs are going to come out of the East - Western MMO developers just don't have it anymore...

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Since when does "Next Gen" have to do with graphics? There was enough shown about the tech of EQN/Landmark to set it apart. I'm a bit disapointed in some of these comments since a lot of people here have been around MMOs a long time.
  • Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Since when does "Next Gen" have to do with graphics? There was enough shown about the tech of EQN/Landmark to set it apart. I'm a bit disapointed in some of these comments since a lot of people here have been around MMOs a long time.

You didn't know?  Graphics > game play.

Because as we all know, the best games in the world are the ones who have the most realistic graphics for their time.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Gallus85

Because as we all know, the best games in the world are the ones who have the most realistic graphics for their time.

Maybe it's due to unfinished/unpolished animations and effects or something - but the game just looked floaty and disconnected.

It was cool how the duo broke up the floor and dropped into a dungeon of some kind, but beyond that - you could easily mistake the video in the OP as being from like Warhammer in 2006.

• amx23amx23 Member Posts: 102
    Originally posted by p4ttythep3rf3ct
    Looks entirely boring :(

Which mmorpg has more exciting non boring combat? Cant think of any can you. Why do you compare EQNext to any next generation game from any genre when its clearly another mmorpg. Youre just another hater arent you. If this is boring WoW guild wars 2 and wildstar will put you to sleep and you wouldnt want to admit that.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Gallus85

Maybe it's due to unfinished/unpolished animations and effects or something - but the game just looked floaty and disconnected.

It was cool how the duo broke up the floor and dropped into a dungeon of some kind, but beyond that - you could easily mistake the video in the OP as being from like Warhammer in 2006.

I am not sure if I like it or not, but it isn't even in alpha.  I think it is a little too flashy, but I don't like super flashy or big weapons myself.  I don't care to think too much or little of any of it, until more can be shown and played.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I'm fine with action combat if and only if there's a trinity attached to it.

Dodging every 2 seconds in fear that i might get 1-shot is not fun to me.

Dave said in an interview the original Everquest had no trinity like the one you see today, it was mainly tank, healer, crowd control. Crowd control is more important here because everyone can fly around. Theres no strategy in the trinity other than its namesake and it wouldnt fit well in skill based games. It levels pvp i know for sure because trinity is lousy in pvp.

The Tempest is boring to watch? Can anyone imagine what its like first or third person moving that fast or having the lightening effects surround your character? All of the classes besides elementalist have a movement ability from whats shown and the warrior can leap in the air. What kind of game guild wars 2 have that kind of heroic movement? You guys arent being honest with yourselves.

watch the class panel. Its genius and its like magic the gathering with your abilities and weapons. for example :

dark mantle-you gain 10% damage and your armor heals faster over time at the trade-off of losing 25% of your health. Makes the shadowknight seem imposing. Energize- consecutive lighting attacks heal energy. Static Charge- when you move 5 m, you restore energy and abilities require 15% more energy and you do 10% more damage. Lightning and Tempest are one.?

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Prenho3
    Originally posted by Tyggs
    Ugh, I might be done with MMOs. There doesn't seem to be anything fun in them anymore, to me at least. After playing Destiny and PT. I'm gonna stick to single player and hybrids. They seem to be the only one pushing the limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR8xLquiimE

Just another Korean MMO. After seeing the whole debacle with Labor Points in ArcheAge. I am done with MMO's coming out of Korea.

The only MMO from Asia that I was and still am able to enjoy is Japanese. Final Fantasy XIV:ARR.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

I actually don't understand why some people link action combat with kids and the console crowd. I am neither of those and I personally love action combat a whole lot more than tab target press 12345 type of games. You all sound like a bunch of unimaginative grumpy old coots lol.

I mean why does age play any part in whether or not someone likes action based combat? Why does console play any part in it at all. You all act like there has never been an action combat pc game rofl. People are weird. >.>

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Prenho3
    Originally posted by Tyggs
    Ugh, I might be done with MMOs. There doesn't seem to be anything fun in them anymore, to me at least. After playing Destiny and PT. I'm gonna stick to single player and hybrids. They seem to be the only one pushing the limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR8xLquiimE

Just another Korean MMO. After seeing the whole debacle with Labor Points in ArcheAge. I am done with MMO's coming out of Korea.

The only MMO from Asia that I was and still am able to enjoy is Japanese. Final Fantasy XIV:ARR.

Black Desert may eventually stink as a game, but the character models put EQnext to shame in my opinion. They aren't even in the same league. And this is coming from a lifelong EQ player (already expressed my opinions on this so won't bore anyone again)

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    Action crap.  God, they really are targeting kids with this.

Looks like a cartoony FPS. Why is it masquerading as an RPG?

Originally posted by Nitth
    Cant take the running seriously without breaking into laughter :)

Absolutely, very twinkle toe ish.

Originally posted by Brabbit1987
    I don't understand why some people link action combat with kids and the console crowd...

Probably because kids have lower attention spans and can't stand still for very long.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Arclan

Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    Action crap.  God, they really are targeting kids with this.

Looks like a cartoony FPS. Why is it masquerading as an RPG?

Originally posted by Nitth
    Cant take the running seriously without breaking into laughter :)

Absolutely, very twinkle toe ish.

I don't understand why some people link action combat with kids and the console crowd...

Probably because kids have lower attention spans and can't stand still for very long.

One would argue that if RPG really means "Role Playing Game" having more control over your character means role playing them to a greater extent.  Having motion and positioning be a point of strategy along with RNG, if the ability actually hits, moves farther out of turn based combat and into a more immersive system IMO.  The running? Pre-alpha, look at Landmark for what is intended.  "Childish" due to the art style and reticle based combat? Bit of an ironic stance to take but subjective opinions are just that.

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469

Where did the massive shoulder armor go?

Think of the children. 

-Chuckles
  • kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

One would argue that if by RPG it really means "Role Playing Game" having more control over your character means role playing them to a greater extent.  Having motion be a point of strategy along with RNG if the ability actually hits moves farther out of turn based combat and into a more immersive one IMO.  The running? Pre-alpha, look at Landmark for what is intended.  "Childish" due to the art style and reticle based combat? Bit of an ironic stance to take but subjective opinions are just that.

Totally disagree with this...Action combat is the exact same thing as "twitch" combat and movement and more closely resembles the movement and action of a FPS than an RPG game. If anything, it causes you to strategically think less and just react. Once you get the timing down on certain moves makes it totally "unrealistic" (even by sword and sorcery standards) and kills that immersion...at least in my view. See GW2 for fine examples of this...

If action movement and combat is your thing, that's fine...I just don't see the value in it for an RPG game. I've playedRPG games with it and am not opposed to play RPG games with it, but it's just not my favorite thing in the world.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Arclan

Doesn't sound like a very good argument if you ask me. Grasping at straws.

Actually I might even argue those who believe such a thing are more childish because they seem incapable of understanding other people have different likes and dislikes and it has nothing to do with age or platform.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by kjempff

Destructible world sounds good, but looks bad. After building stuff in Landmark I realized how limited their voxel system is to create detailed shapes with. You see the flaws in the buildings and instead of using good artists, they copied what people made in Landmark. Even though there are some amazing stuff in Landmark, the voxel based stuff wont stand scrutiny. Voxels for terrain is ok, but for buildings etc, not pretty.

What they showed with abilities that digs holes in the ground is just unfitting and unnatural, hey even in Landmark I find it kindda wierd that you can just start up your (forgot the name) "disintegrator5000" and 30 secs later having dug youself a 100m deep hole in solid rock.

First order of business should really be to try and fix the fundamental problems with voxels limited shape options and looks, that is what Landmark needs badly, then it might be acceptable to use for a mmorpg like eqnext that is supposed to compete with beautiful and almost naturalistic style in other mmorpgs.

Yeah, what strikes me is how they just keep pushing the "destructible environment!" thing.

It's like, anything they do, they have to somehow work in "and look guys.... Destructible environments!".. .even if not verbally.

It actually reminds me of how everyone was going bonkers back when hardware accelerated graphics came along (3DFX, etc), and suddenly colored-lighting was possible. Everyone and their grandmother was drowning their games in orange, blue, red, green.. full saturated lighting.. and it just looked ridiculous. It's like they were so excited about the tech, that they felt they had to  use it everywhere possible. This "destructible environments!" thing reminds me of that.

I know. You can destroy the environment. You can create large holes in the ground. Wonderful. How about showing me something with more substance now.. you know... actual gameplay... and not a hole-digging light-show bonanza. 

Let me know how I'm going to be immersed in your world. How am I going to get that pure, drawn-in "Everquest" feel in EQ:N? How will Norrath make me feel I'm really there? And no, "destructible environments!!" isn't going to do that.

And really.. does anyone else already have expectations that 'destructible environments!" will become some new way of griefing? Someone's out in the wilderness, minding their own business. Maybe they're AFK momentarily.. They come back and are suddenly deep down in a hole, or in some cavern underground... because someone came by and.. "destructible environments!"

I dunno.. I'm over the gimmicks, I'm over the light-shows. I wanna see something of substance. Enough with the dog and pony show.

• DOLPHYNNDOLPHYNN Member UncommonPosts: 5

That seems like terrible combat.  Each fight takes from 2 - 7 seconds.  There is no meaning in a fight for combat of such short length.  

This is EverQuest.  Give us challenge and long fights so we can actually do things and react.  

The lights and sound effects need to be toned down as well.  Each battle should not be a firework show.  Save a bunch of that flash for really special abilities.  

What im looking forward to is pvp. Anyone notice the elementalist is more dangerous the closer you get to him, the Tempest is an assassin druid that closes in on a target, the Cleric mitigates tons of damage? Not to mention the armor regenerates which protects your health sorta like a FPS and items and abilities greatly modifies armor and energy and damage. Throw mulitclassing and 37 other classes with 12-20+ abilities each on a skill based combat system with added effects in a destructible world? But who am i kidding, i should be criticizing how the running animation looks like b/c my IQ is 85
  • Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by DMKano
    I watched both Landmark and EQNext streams live. I am still in utter disbelief of how underwhelming combat is in both games. Also the fact that they show VIDEOS of EQN instead of actual live gameplay says it all.

You do realize that the game is not even in Beta yet right?

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    So very disappointing, looks like everyone under 8 will have a good time.