Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamescom 2014 Swtor more then 1 mill log in every month

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Reham79
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

They're milking the sad f2p market with this game that was supposed to be something greater.  F2P cash shop titles have always had a fairly wide appeal so no one should be surprised by this.  

I'm not sure when popular began to = good though.  This game for a ton of people was one of the biggest let downs ever and honestly in my opinion should've been shut down, but because the f2p zomboids are inhabiting the game it must be a massive success right? No, thats not successful and doesn't help the industry.  There's plenty of god awful f2p cash shop games out there with tons of people playing, this is no different.  

Sounds like we have another haterboid....

I'm being completely realistic actually.  Is this more than another fairly popular f2p cash shop game? No. 

Was this positively received by fans? No. That's why it's f2p.  

Has this game had a positive impact on the industry? No.  

Not hating for the sake of hating, just being real.  Thank you though for your intelligent contribution.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    you sound mad :P the game is great it have improved alot since it came out. after reading a few post here sems like most of the haters havent tried the game for a looooooong time
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Posts about being 'realistic' but apparently knows about all the 'fans'. Cause there isn't a single fan that liked this right?

Hello? 200 million annual revenue and 1 million players every month?

I don't think you know the word 'realistic' ROFL!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz
    Posts about being 'realistic' but apparently knows about all the 'fans'. Cause there isn't a single fan that liked this right?

Again I will say why does a f2p cash shop game taking in money surprise you? The amount of consumers for that brainless market is bigger than ever.   Its not impressive so please don't give me numbers. If I post how much money runescape and maplestory have made over the years would you think they're both impressive titles as well?

ROFL ROFL!

If this game hit its target fanbase and retained them it wouldn't be f2p. ROFL ROFL ROFL.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

They're milking the sad f2p market with this game that was supposed to be something greater.  F2P cash shop titles have always had a fairly wide appeal so no one should be surprised by this.  

I'm not sure when popular began to = good though.  This game for a ton of people was one of the biggest let downs ever and honestly in my opinion should've been shut down, but because the f2p zomboids are inhabiting the game it must be a massive success right? No, thats not successful and doesn't help the industry.  There's plenty of god awful f2p cash shop games out there with tons of people playing, this is no different.  

Sounds like we have another haterboid....

I'm being completely realistic actually.  Is this more than another fairly popular f2p cash shop game? No. 

Was this positively received by fans? No. That's why it's f2p.  

Has this game had a positive impact on the industry? No.  

Not hating for the sake of hating, just being real.  Thank you though for your intelligent contribution.  

HAHA intelligent contribution?  "zomboids are inhabiting the game"  is that how you see intelligence contribution now?  

Am i wrong? Use that thing in your head for a good few seconds.  If the target fanbase for the game was playing the game, then why would it be f2p? Oh wait they all left in a mass exodus and now f2p consumers are playing it.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

If I post how much money runescape and maplestory have made over the years would you think they're both impressive titles as well?

Yes, I would. If they've made enough money to stay afloat over 'x' number of years, and managed to keep their players entertained, then I'm impressed.

I may not like those games personally, but it doesn't make it any less impressive.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I think at this point the special Olympics analogy has become very appropriate.

Again I will say why does a f2p cash shop game taking in money surprise you? The amount of consumers for that brainless market is bigger than ever.   Its not impressive so please don't give me numbers. If I post how much money runescape and maplestory have made over the years would you think they're both impressive titles as well?

ROFL ROFL!

If this game hit its target fanbase and retained them it wouldn't be f2p. ROFL ROFL ROFL.  

Its so sad that a video game can hurt grow adults so much....

Oh btw welcome to 2014...2011 called and wants their crying back....

Good counter arguement sir! 10/10.  Keep feeding those hungry f2p devs your cash! Especially after their game crashes!

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

If I post how much money runescape and maplestory have made over the years would you think they're both impressive titles as well?

Yes, I would. If they've made enough money to stay afloat over 'x' number of years, and managed to keep their players entertained, then I'm impressed.

I may not like those games personally, but it doesn't make it any less impressive.

There's a difference between being astonished on how much the game has made/survived, and thinking its a good game BECAUSE of how much its made.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

There's a difference between being astonished on how much the game has made/survived, and thinking its a good game BECAUSE of how much its made.  

Then I'm afraid I am not understanding your point. Is it just that SWTOR isn't a good game then? If that's the case, then that's cool. There's certain MMOs I don't like either. Never-the-less, SWTOR is doing quite well, and, obviously, many others enjoy it also.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    It seems to frustrate some people to no end knowing a game they wanted to fail not only is wildly popular at 1M+ unique logins a month, but that it's a themepark that brings in a huge amount of revenue, more than sandbox games like EVE. What does it matter that this game is so popular? It doesn't affect how other games play or how people enjoy them.

You couldn't be more wrong, the frustration comes from knowing a game that we wanted to do good that didn't do it for us, is still popular. Again, HENCE the p2p-->f2p. 

The game that dissapointed millions, in suddenly looked upon in positve light because its making money in the f2p cash shop market? Absurd.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• AndrewGoatAndrewGoat Member UncommonPosts: 160
    You couldn't be more wrong, the frustration comes from knowing a game that we wanted to do good that didn't do it for us, is still popular. Again, HENCE the p2p-->f2p. 

The game that dissapointed millions, in suddenly looked upon in positve light because its making money in the f2p market? Absurd.  

Yeah, they made some huge mistakes when SWTOR came out, but it's still around, and still having content added to the game. I don't know if you know this, but this game actually still has subscriptions too, and people actually subscribe to it, like myself. I've played every mmo too, including your precious FFXIV that's in your signature. I've played every one of these so called 'Triple A MMOs' in the past 3 years or so and for the most part, they're all the same thing. Wildstar's not any different, FFXIV isn't any different, ESO isnt any different, all of it is just the same stuff.

Despite all of SWTOR's flaws, I still personally enjoy it, mostly because I like the stories and the combat and the ships and the housing that's about to be put in.

I figure if I'm going to keep playing the same designed game, I might as well go with the skin that I enjoy the most(Star Wars). So seriously, quit being a hater. You enjoy FFXIV, I enjoy SWTOR, they're both fine games, and SWTOR does as well as it -should- based on the path they've taken. If they wanted to be number one, they would have made the decisions to lead them to that point, so would other games...but then they wouldn't be the same games they are now, and people who enjoy them probably wouldn't enjoy them like they do.

In short. Quit trolling and go play MMOs that you enjoy.

It seems to frustrate some people to no end knowing a game they wanted to fail not only is wildly popular at 1M+ unique logins a month, but that it's a themepark that brings in a huge amount of revenue, more than sandbox games like EVE. What does it matter that this game is so popular? It doesn't affect how other games play or how people enjoy them.

frustration...video game you dont play??? 

You are aware 99% that left and never came back are mature healthy adults who accepted the game was not for them and moved on right? 

You know what we are left the 1%...people like you...who cant move on with their life because of a video game....

I wasn't aware they gave out the ages and health status of all their initial subs.  Now run along child.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

Anybody, including Mike B, anyone, give me an actual player total or server total from EA. Something concrete and not a claim of "server full".

One website has Club Penguin with 30 million users a month, which raises two questions in free to play land do you really think club penguin has the population of Afghanistan and do you think its the measuring stick that mmos should follow, the ftp bot heavy model? Because if that is true SWTOR is way behind.

I'm SURE all this artificial hype has nothing to do with the Strongholds August 19th early access, no, not on this site, of course not. :/

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish

Anybody, including Mike B, anyone, give me an actual player total or server total from EA. Something concrete and not a claim of "server full".

You're the one saying the million player total is BS. You post a number...not a color graph but an actual number that shows what EA said is fails.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by DamonVile

You're the one saying the million player total is BS. You post a number...not a color graph but an actual number that shows what EA said is fails.

I will as soon as they put out some actual data.

Apposed to what they have released now, which is nothing.

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264

frustration...video game you dont play??? 

You are aware 99% that left and never came back are mature healthy adults who accepted the game was not for them and moved on right? 

You know what we are left the 1%...people like you...who cant move on with their life because of a video game....

I wasn't aware they gave out the ages and health status of all their initial subs.  Now run along child.  

Funny, you call someone a child yet you are the one spending time bashing a game you don't like or play...  So you play nice with the other little children or there will be no desert for you after supper.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

One website has Club Penguin with 30 million users a month, which raises two questions in free to play land do you really think club penguin has the population of Afghanistan and do you think its the measuring stick that mmos should follow, the ftp bot heavy model? Because if that is true SWTOR is way behind.

I'm SURE all this artificial hype has nothing to do with the Strongholds August 19th early access, no, not on this site, of course not. :/

The point is it doesn't matter. Enough people play that the game feels alive and the game is supported by its developer like it's alive. SWTOR isn't a dead end game running in maintenance mode. Updates come out at a respectable pace and the servers appear to be bustling when you play. That's it. That's all that matters.

World of Warcraft has almost 7 million subscribers, yet it hasn't seen a meaningful update in almost a year. As you can see, numbers aren't everything. I played City of Heroes for five years and that game never did impressive numbers, but it had an amazing, lively community and a staggering amount of meaningful updates all throughout its live service. These are the practical things that matter to me and they're (in my view) the only things that should matter for anyone playing an MMO when it comes to the health of the game.

You can slice and dice numbers all day. But as I explained in a previous post, there's no point arguing them, as those who want to be negative about the game will take any number you give them, no matter how positive, and try to find a way to spin it as a negative or cast doubt. Who cares? Unless it's your job to care at EA, it really doesn't matter.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Players can conquer planets?     

That will be a neat feature.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

The game that dissapointed millions, in suddenly looked upon in positve light because its making money in the f2p cash shop market? Absurd.  

Apparently a particular business model is a bad thing.

Also I love that you somehow can speak for MILLIONS of people.

'Disappointed millions!' / 'we wanted' / 'for us'

As one of those MILLIONS that actually login to SWTOR, let me say this...

You ready?

Not yet......

Ready?

ROFL!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

When I read that they have a million unique players and nearly half pay I was surprised. Did not think the game was that active. So I decided to download it again and give it a go. Rolled a BH with a plan to go merc and I am loving it.

I think back then I did not get the excitment over the fact that everything was voice acted, and voice acted well, but now with a few more years with 0 innovation in the genre I appreciate what the devs did more.

The space combat is fun too, nothing great but I like it.

I wonder if I will be able to get back into PvP cause I remember it was fairly enjoyable.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I will as soon as they put out some actual data.

Apposed to what they have released now, which is nothing.

The problem is that you got a number from the General Manager at Bioware. If you don't believe that, then it's pretty much a waste of anyone's time to try to get you any other data because you'll just say again that "it's a con" or that they're lying. Basically, you've got a set belief and not amount of truth or logic will sway you. 

I mean, if I gave you years of SuperData info, you'd still say it's made up. If someone scraped actual server data you'd say "well, who are they? how dowe know THEY are telling the truth or that their numbers are accurate?" However, if someone posts that they logged in at 3AM and the servers were dead, you'd probably be the first to use that as concrete evidence of 'fail" or whatever. 

I don't think you realize that you, and many others like you, are a big reason why the devs don't bother sharing numbers with the players. You're going to believe what you want, facts be damned. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by doodphace

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    He really does not qualify that statement well. Over 1 Million different players or 1 million players all totaled?However, the other bits in the video intrigue me and I may be tempted to re-install the game and check it out :)
    Those 2 things mean the same thing. A player is a player, no 2 are the same person. People really should stop trying to spin this into something other than over 1 million unique individuals play SWTOR a month.
    Not quite. 400k players logging in 30 days a month (1.2M all totaled) is quite different from 1M different players logging in a month (1M logging in).

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    He really does not qualify that statement well. Over 1 Million different players or 1 million players all totaled?However, the other bits in the video intrigue me and I may be tempted to re-install the game and check it out :)

It was explained earlier in the thread that this is the "MAU".  It's unique player accounts that logged in over the past month.  Doesn't matter if they logged in one time or a hundred.
    Thanks. I missed that tidbit :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by MikeB

The point is it doesn't matter. Enough people play that the game feels alive and the game is supported by its developer like it's alive. SWTOR isn't a dead end game running in maintenance mode. Updates come out at a respectable pace and the servers appear to be bustling when you play. That's it. That's all that matters.

World of Warcraft has almost 7 million subscribers, yet it hasn't seen a meaningful update in almost a year. As you can see, numbers aren't everything. I played City of Heroes for five years and that game never did impressive numbers, but it had an amazing, lively community and a staggering amount of meaningful updates all throughout its live service. These are the practical things that matter to me and they're (in my view) the only things that should matter for anyone playing an MMO when it comes to the health of the game.

You can slice and dice numbers all day. But as I explained in a previous post, there's no point arguing them, as those who want to be negative about the game will take any number you give them, no matter how positive, and try to find a way to spin it as a negative or cast doubt. Who cares? Unless it's your job to care at EA, it really doesn't matter.

Exactly.

I am reading these posts and wondering why are people wasting their time arguing with people who have clearly made up their mind about SWTOR. It is such a waste of time and energy.