Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Subscriptions Drop Significantly in Latest Financial Report

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Wow can still lose more players than most mmos will ever have and still have a massive number of subs. It's a long ways from dead and has an x-pack on the way.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by Ghavrigg
    Lots of people likely quit due to lack of updates since they released Siege of Orgrimmar. Lots of people will be back come WoD.

What i was thinking, hopefully this next xpac shows some improvements,  but if they take as long again to with updates, just shows people will hop off.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

I really hope WoD introduces something new to WoW b/c WoTLK, Cata & MoP have all felt the same to me.

It doesn't have to entirely re-invent itself but just provide enough "fresh" to offset that same ol' feeling.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    http://albiononline.com/ took me away from WoW. Oh well.  Take care. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• Ariel_ArilonAriel_Arilon Member UncommonPosts: 50

If WoW has 6.8 mil subscribers @ $14.99 a month, that's omg...

about 102 MILLION dollars a month, times 12 = 1 BILLION 224 MILLION a year.

With THAT much money coming in you'd think they could hire teams of programmers and artists, and simply flood the competitors out of the market with new and exciting content!

I can think of dozens of things they could do with that amount of cash.

My computer beats me in Strip Poker, but doesn't stand a chance against my Kick Boxing! >: D 3

• Ariel_ArilonAriel_Arilon Member UncommonPosts: 50

@ Ivylena,

I signed up for alpha access about a month ago. I've heard absolutely nothing from them since.

Is this standard operating procedure?

My computer beats me in Strip Poker, but doesn't stand a chance against my Kick Boxing! >: D 3

• blubstererblubsterer Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by doodphacey

6.8 mil subs, after a drop of 800k. 6.8 mil devided by 800k = 8.5. WoW can have this same drop happen 8 more times before it reaches the subscription numbers of SWTOR, the 2nd most played MMO in the west.

The drama is indeed begining lol.

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Wow can still lose more players than most mmos will ever have and still have a massive number of subs. It's a long ways from dead and has an x-pack on the way.

These arguments are similar to jumping from a roof and wondering why it doesn't hurt yet every floor you pass :D

If you loose 30% of your playerbase in 2 years, you don't have to wait until you hit the ground to start worrying. If you are a anticipatory person that means.

Originally posted by Ariel_Arilon

With THAT much money coming in you'd think they could hire teams of programmers and artists, and simply flood the competitors out of the market with new and exciting content!

Well, they don't get 15 bucks from all players though. The Asian market has a completely different monetarization and emerging markets pay way less. It'll still enough money to be called a success, but nontheless your calculation is wrong.

And even if it would be right: it's not like more people involved always equals to getting the job done faster and/ or better. And you have to find them in the first place.

But don't get me wrong. I don't want to defend Blizzard's content delivery practices in any way. They ARE bad. But maybe it's a bit more complicated than just saying 'Spend more money, you greedy bastards"  ....

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Gravarg

/grabs popcorn

Still a good game, WoD will bring a lot of people back.

For a month, then they will have to re-sub, then it's back to the decline. Nothing lasts forever!

They still need to fire up about 10 Vanilla and 10 TBC servers! :O

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298

People need to know when to stop and just move on. 

The proof that you are no longer in control lies within your inability to stop and change. That certifies a pathological behavior.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Still subbed, still having fun. Best on the market still IMO. I'll start worrying when it goes below 1 mil.
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by blubsterer

6.8 mil subs, after a drop of 800k. 6.8 mil devided by 800k = 8.5. WoW can have this same drop happen 8 more times before it reaches the subscription numbers of SWTOR, the 2nd most played MMO in the west.

That argument is similar to jumping from a roof and wondering when it will start to hurt :D

If you loose 30% of your playerbase in 2 years, you don't have to wait until you hit the ground to start worrying. If you are a anticipatory person that means.

I wasn't "making an argument". The guy I quoted said that the game could only sustain 5 more losses like that before it shuts down as if its nearing death. I corrected him that it could actually take 8 more losses like that, which is a very improbable thing to happen. I am sure you would agree with right?

Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by blubsterer

That argument is similar to jumping from a roof and wondering when it will start to hurt :D

I wasn't "making an argument". The guy I quoted said that the game could only sustain 5 more losses like that before it shuts down as if its nearing death. I corrected him that it could actually take 8 more losses like that, which is a very improbable thing to happen. I am sure you would agree with right?

If your only intention was to correct his false calculation, then I can agree with this :)

But why you have brought the numbers in context with SWTOR then if I may ask? That way I got the impression you wanted to imply that there are many more floors to pass until it'll hurt. That was actually the part of your post I was referring to. I can't quite believe this context was completely unintentional, right?

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I'm not sure anyone really cares if WoW loses subscriptions or not at this point in WoW's lifespan. I think more people are anxiously awaiting to see what their next mmo is to be honest.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Not surprised since no major patch has been released in a long time.
  • SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    I didn't read....how many times was GW2 mentioned.
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    I'm not sure anyone really cares if WoW loses subscriptions or not at this point in WoW's lifespan. I think more people are anxiously awaiting to see what their next mmo is to be honest.

Well, these two things maybe are connected to each other. Blizzard won't cannibalize their own games after all.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

One of WoW's biggest problems now is the power curve is insane. Everyone's walking around a god. Equipment stat bonuses in the thousands now. And yet the relativity remains constant. Since everything and everyone else in the game is also a god. Even trash mobs make Vanilla raid bosses look like starter zone tutorial mobs.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

One of WoW's biggest problems now is the power curve is insane. Everyone's walking around a god. Equipment stat bonuses in the thousands now. And yet the relativity remains constant. Since everything and everyone else in the game is also a god. Even trash mobs make Vanilla raid bosses look like starter zone tutorial mobs.

Which is a reason why I tend to not go back to previous MMOs I have played after a certain amount of time. The numbers are just crazy.

I think it would be interesting if an MMO used the method of lower numbers but hidden abilities that arent apparent. Like the different between a mid range +3 Longsword and a high end +6 Longsword may just be +3 to your dice roll but that +6 also has higher blocking ability ( going by old school MUDs and Graphical MUDs here ) and may even be a Psi Cutter ( cuts incoming spell damage by a certain amount ).. The numbers stay tame but the difference is noticeable.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    WILDSTAR KILLED WOW!!!

Proof!!! :-p

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by Ariel_Arilon

It doesn't.  They include the Asian market in their total, which is more of a pay as you play type service (i.e. not a subscription).  They used to break it down, but no longer do so.  Which would lead one to believe the NA/EU region is in a lot worse state than this appears at first glance.  Out of all my long term friends and guildies, which I've raided with for several years have all quit over the content drought.  Many have had enough, given how often this happens and aren't intending to get WoD.  After being in beta, it's not looking promising anyway.

Personally, I would only respect Blizzard again if they gave WoD free to everyone who stayed subbed from SoO to its launch.  They should get something for hanging around with no content updates for so long.

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Well if Blizzard focus more on the game and not all bullshit like add cash shop button and earn money maybe people would not leave the game and the have only 1.5 million preordered copy that is 1st time i have hear the have so low preordered number for expansion that everyone say will change WoW.
  • fmykira0311fmykira0311 Member Posts: 1
    Since the last report they completely destroyed PQR,Translation: subs down 6.8M. Something to remember when talking about WoW or FF XIV or SWTOR or ... whatever.
  • sLY4JsLY4J Member UncommonPosts: 84
    WoW should cut their subscription price to 9.99.. I bet it would skyrocket if it did that.
  • KelvenaruKelvenaru Member Posts: 10
    I for one stopped my sub a couple of months back, but will be back for WoD, just playing some Rift/TSW/Tera atm as they are F2P and the savings I am putting to one side to save up for WoD, as money is pretty tight at the moment.... though IF I do get back to work in the next month I will probably resub as there are a few things I want to do/level before WoD hits... but getting well into Rift atm with 2.8 out this week and Nightmare Tide round the corner to, so I will be juggling my mmo's more than usual.
  • SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

After almost 10 years i dropped my sub in May. Right now i m having lots of fun with WildStar (which i m playing for free due to CREDD).

If i get bored of it i prefer to play either ESO (despite i dont like it that much, at least until now) or FFX than to return to a 10 years old game, where after the first 1-2 months 90% of my playing time will be jumping in Orgrimmar and doing old content for transmog.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2