Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old but...

makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

Well, after alot of trying new games, here I am back here lol. Still no game has what uo has. I am alittle courious, as to why, considering the state of MMOS, as a copy fest. I cant think of one game that copied Ulitma online. I am alittle nervous saying that, I like UO being alone, and special. Dont want to Jinx it, but it is strange that no one copied it.

Any ways great game, and the people running it still update it.

Comments

• SosaBabySosaBaby Member Posts: 33

Would you recommend it to someone who has never played it before? I started mmo's around 2006 So i am by no means old school, but if it is worth it I would love to play!

Bang Bang 3hun oBLA!

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by mandog14

Would you recommend it to someone who has never played it before? I started mmo's around 2006 So i am by no means old school, but if it is worth it I would love to play!

I 100 percent would. It has its jerks like all MMOs, but like all you can ignore them. In ulitma online there is something for every one. If you want Full loot pvp, just dont insure your stuff, and go to Fel which is a place any one can attack any one. If you like  crafting, UO has one of the most in depth crafting systems. If you like sailing, there is a very in depth pirate system.

If you like pets, UO has the best pet system. With different colors of pets being rare, to high stat pets that still with the 15 years have not been found. The treasure hunting system, has maps that are random every time, and take alot of player skill to find. There is something for every one in Ulitma Online.

True roleplayers are there also. This is the only game I have seen player ran events, that are fun. From casnios, parties, duels, challenges, to haunted houses. The housing system has yet to be duplicated, some spend 100s if not 1000s of hours designing their homes. If you dont want to do that, though there are pre made houses.

It is 15 dollars a month to play, but you can buy game time with in game money. There are some bots, and cheaters like in all games. But even with the game being so old, i reported one, and within the hour got a response. The game could be considered pay to win i suppose, with all the people that deal in buying and selling of UO accounts. So if you dumped 5 grand into the game you would have everything there is to be had in the game. Although all that stuff can be gotten by playing the game, so... I dono if you would say pay to win, as much as pay to skip ahead in the game.

All in all, the game hasent been reproduced any where, they still up date it. The newest feature they are soon to add, is fraction PVP, I am not sure of all that is going into it. It seems like alot of thought though, with rewards, and challenges, for those that like PVP. They are also adding, a system that is like Uncharted waters, where you have to go to a town, pick up trade goods, and bring them to another town. You can get jumped by pirates, or monsters.

I have played for a long long time, and I still dont know all there is to do in the game. Out of my 15 years, some one just shared a secret place in the game with me. Also group play is one of the hardest, and best I have ever seen. You really have to team up, and work togther to take down some of the hardest creatures in the game. If that is not your thing though, you can easily Solo your way to wealth, or power if that is what you want.

As for catching up with some one whos played for 15 years, I honestly wouldent even think about it. You can easily get to where you want to be, and be on par with the vets. There will be people of course that will tell you otherwise, but more then likely those people come from the sites trying to sell you accounts, and wealth.

People will tell you the economy of the game is broken also, but that is a  lie. The npc economy works quite well, and is 100 percent based on supply and demand. If some one goes to a NPC and buys lets say 1000 bolts of cloths to become a grand master tailor, the next person who tries will find the price quite high. So one has to go from town to town, trying to find a cheaper price. As for the player ran economy, it works quite well, and is about the same. But they have added a twist, which is quite different, then most games.

There is a world auction house so to speak, where every player vendor is in a list. That just gives a idea, because there are 1000s of vendors, that arent on that list. So there are deals to be made, not to speak of the people who dont use vendors. That give good deals here and there.

As for players helping new players,  as i said there are ass holes. For 90 percent of the time though, if you ask in help chat, there will be tons of people not only willing to help you with information, but meet you and help you in game as well.

The only real downfall i guess is the graphics, some need top notch graphics. There are 2 chocies, the classic and the newer client. I would recommend the newer one, because it is easier to use. It also has better graphics, not by alot, but it works well.

So yes, to sum up, now is the best time to play this classic, that still has plenty of life left. The game has only got better over the years. I am sure there will people that will tell you when it first came out it was the best...... Those people just are stuck in a feeling, when the thing was new. The game now is 1000 times better then it ever was when it came out. If mmos are your thing, I cant see one being disappointed with the game.

Play on Atlantic, if you want the most people to play with. Hope to see you there.

• SosaBabySosaBaby Member Posts: 33

Thanks for the in depth reply, I Will try it out for sure. Il let you know if I Join maybe your can help me (:

Cheers

Bang Bang 3hun oBLA!

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    I have characters spread across Lake Superior and Atlantic if you need help. 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I'm in the same boat never having played the original.  I went to youtube and found something called Ultimate Online Forever.  The people claimed they played Ultima for years and left and play Forever, which is not part of EA.  I can understand wanting to avoid EA.  Any thoughts on Forever. Is it really the same game. It claims it is free to play.

There arent many people who play on it, but yeah its free. The free shards i think are a joke personally. If you give them money, they will give you anything you want, even make up stuff that doesnt exisit in the game. Also  i hope you enjoy getting to run around, and be bullied and treated like garbage, by people who think ulitma online is a gang lol. Have much fun with all that:) Also if you think cheating is bad on the official server........... Its allowed there.
  • AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    So UO Forever runs the game at a different expansion of the game - as the previous poster mentioned it's a free shard.  I know many of my old friends who do play and enjoy UO Forever, but I am happier on the regular OSI shards. :) 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

Originally posted by Anslem
    So UO Forever runs the game at a different expansion of the game - as the previous poster mentioned it's a free shard.  I know many of my old friends who do play and enjoy UO Forever, but I am happier on the regular OSI shards. :) 

Its not just a different expansion. Its based on Runuo, or something like that. Which doesnt even use the game. Its a emulator.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

It's a great game. I prefer the 2D but I don't like games anymore that look down on the avatar. I would rather have it be 3rd person of 1st person view.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!