Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another $90 Ship. No game in sight yet.

123457»

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by motanila

I was thinking that we are already in triple A terytory because money from croudfunding worth 3 times mpre. SO i guess we are now around 200 mil worth of AAA.

You mean because the big publishers spend up to 40 % of their budget for ads ?

200 M$ ... thats like a somewhat smaller SWTOR (220-250 M$ ish)

Have fun

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Azoth
    Originally posted by C0br4r
    I agree completely. The funny yet sad thing is that most people who support Star Citizen don't even realize that 90% of the game only exists on paper. The only thing they have to show for it is Arena Commander. They literally have nothing concrete done for the persistent universe save for planning and conceptualization, which is what the actual game is supposed to eventually be. I mean for god's sake they literally hired the persistent universe project lead only a month or two ago. Anyone with basic deduction or reasoning skills can see that either A) This game will end up being vaporware or B) this game will be vastly inferior to what was promised and nothing like it was advertised.

The people that really follow the project are aware that the game is far from  done. Anyone expecting a game before at least 2 years is totally delusional.

The problem is a lot of people that don't follow a game and feel the need to comment on some stuff that filters thru, without knowing what is happening.

And this is the problem. Those of us who tossed money at the original kickstarter were told we would have a game November 2014. 

Granted they still have 8 days to honor that promise but kinda doubt they gonna make it.

Originally posted by psiic

And this is the problem.

--> only to some

Those of us who tossed money at the original kickstarter

--> like me ?

were told we would have a game November 2014. 

--> Then something happened .... Star Citizen was a much greater success than anticipated and CIG was able to plan a larger and more sophisticated game with the available funds than anyone has hoped for in those early days.

--> So the schedule was changed. And CIG kept the community informed about this. In more ways than any game i have seen so far since the days of PONG.

Granted they still have 8 days to honor that promise but kinda doubt they gonna make it. 

--> And you well know that they have long since told community, public and press that the schedule has changed. If someone does not like it, they have refunded the pledge money without problems. No one is forced to  support a project he no longer believes in. Just take your money and go.

Have fun

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Erillion
    Originally posted by psiic

And this is the problem.

--> only to some

Those of us who tossed money at the original kickstarter

--> like me ?

were told we would have a game November 2014. 

--> Then something happened .... Star Citizen was a much greater success than anticipated and CIG was able to plan a larger and more sophisticated game with the available funds than anyone has hoped for in those early days.

--> So the schedule was changed. And CIG kept the community informed about this. In more ways than any game i have seen so far since the days of PONG.

--> And you well know that they have long since told community, public and press that the schedule has changed. If someone does not like it, they have refunded the pledge money without problems. No one is forced to  support a project he no longer believes in. Just take your money and go.

Have fun

Look, it's really bad feature creep, and you have to accept that. They could have put out the original scoped project by now, and left the rest for expansions, but they are reaching hard for a super max feature rich game, and have nothing much to show. Something should have released by now, a fun top quality game, not a bunch of stuff that clearly needs more work. Release early, release often, I want to see good fun gameplay before I shell out for this monstrosity.

They stopped adding new features some 9 months ago. So .. no feature creep.

And developing a AAA game takes about 4 years ... and they are now at around the 2 year mark. So in truth they are pretty much in budget and in time.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_Release_Schedule

And no, you would NOT see a half complete version of a AAA game  e.g. Everquest-New or Farcry 4 thrown out at the 50 % development mark.

Have fun

Originally posted by Erillion

They stopped adding new features some 9 months ago. So .. no feature creep.

And developing a AAA game takes about 4 years ... and they are now at around the 2 year mark. So in truth they are pretty much in budget and in time.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_Release_Schedule

And no, you would NOT see a half complete version of a AAA game  e.g. Everquest-New or Farcry 4 thrown out at the 50 % development mark.

Have fun

Man, you are so full of yourself, are you on CIG payroll?

They could have released a fun game months ago, if they had any fun to release. This game is mostly show, and a lot of promise. Looks great, tastes ... funny. They need to finalize the hangar, and the dogfight module, and package a release, then work on the full mmo as an expansion. As it is they are just stringing everyone along.

Anyway, keep trollin'.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Zezda
    Yeah, let's just ignore the fact that they have 230+ people working on the game and that these ships need to be put into the game anyway.

They can create those ships in no more than 3 days IF they put some thought and effort into each ship.A modeler can actually do the work in less than 1 day,but needs textures and the idea first.

As for the amount,i already mentioned that it is possible they could utilize ONE ship for all of the code interaction but have the various looks.Basically meaning the effort need only be ONCE then make a ton of ships to sell ,which i already mentioned does not take that much effort.

There have been many tutorials over the years of skilled artists making animated models in a matter of 2-3 hours,these ships are not even animated.This Chris guy is definitely pulling off the steal of the century,grabbing tons of money,MULTI millions in fact for very little effort.

As to the game,there is a somewhat working game so that part is false,just no game to the public of course however watching it made me sort of laugh as to the expectations people are expecting.

The huds are not even an upgrade from the already very low budget effort Eve,ships are decent quality but they are really a 2d ship with a different instance look,so again the effort is slack.If we see a finished product where by you can land a ship in an open map concept and yourself and others can walk right into it without an instance loading,then the effort will be at least better and what i would EXPECT in the least.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

They crowd-fund/sell these ships to fund their game.  So you are paying for their production.

Then when the game is produced, they charge you more and more for cash items.

So let me get this right:  People are crowd-funding/paying their own money for this company to make a game.  So people who want to play the game, are paying people to make money off of them?

So: The gamers finance the company so it can build the game.  Then the company charges the gamers more once the game comes out.

So we are paying a company to charge us money for a product? 

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

Originally posted by Dragim

They crowd-fund/sell these ships to fund their game.  So you are paying for their production.

--> The concept is called: Kickstarter.

--> Many games that would never have been produced are coming out of this new concept ... games that the players have wished for for many years ... instead of Sims 15 and CoD12.

--> Not really. You won't be able to buy ships for cash (official statement). There will be a limited cash shop for cosmetics and some limited upgrades. See this article:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/08/stick-and-rudder-on-star-citizens-cash-shop/

So let me get this right:  People are crowd-funding/paying their own money for this company to make a game.  So people who want to play the game, are paying people to make money off of them?

--> Thats the way any Kickstarter project works.

So: The gamers finance the company so it can build the game.  Then the company charges the gamers more once the game comes out.

--> Incorrect.

--> You can pay some real world cash - purely optional - for some minor cosmetics and upgrades, not ships. Read the article linked above for details. You do NOT have to pay a monthly fee to play the game.

--> Once you have chosen a pledge package (as low as 20 $) you wont have to pay more. CIG won't charge you more.  You CAN pledge more until the game launches, but thats purely optional.

--> Have fun

Originally posted by Dragim

The full cost of production will be paid by the customer in the end, may as well get the up front money from the customer, and cut out the middle man, aka the "investor". Most investors are @$$ hats, greedy, short sighted wall street types, who would pay some homeless guy 20 bux to shiv you for your wallet. Not nice people, thou they pretend to be.

I have no problem with the crowd funding, it is the scope expansion, and the lack of combining scope constraint with fun, that gets me. By comparison, I shelled out $75 for E:D, that will launch in a month, and can be played right now, with reports of a few bugs. E:D is an incomplete game, shallow, but a good foundation. SC is pile of parts, that do not yet fit together.

This discussion has been closed.