I didn't even last the free month...

BootezBootez Yucaipa, CAMember UncommonPosts: 57

Despite hating beta, I started to get interested in this game again since I was reading a lot of fantastic reviews.

 

So, my plan: Get a 7 day code from a friend, play a few characters to level 20 to see if it was enjoyable, and bam, decide. 

 

The first seven days were fantastic. I loved the telegraph system; the questing was fresh(ish), and the general feel of the game was really really good. So, after my seven days, I purchased the game. 

It only took about two weeks for me to regret my purchase and here is why:

 

1) Although I do consider myself a "hardcore" player, since I've always spent many many hours raiding, doing hardmodes, etc in other games, the time I spent playing Wildstar just felt.... tiring. After the first two weeks (trial included), I started hating the way my hands felt after the game. My teeth were always clenched. My jaw began to hurt. I stopped wanted to log in because I knew I'd have some physical issues afterwards.

Most games feel fairly relaxing to me, even in those hardcore raid settings where every little bit of dps/healing/threat counts and you're narrowly missing instant death every second. But this game just does things to me that make it tiresome. Even at a basic questing level, Wildstar feels tedious. 

 

2) Because of reason #1, I ended up spending a gratuitous amount of time on housing. Housing is cool and all, but it isn't a social experience. I'm basically playing Minecraft with better graphics and a really limited space.

 

3) PvP is nothing but a giant clusterfuck of telegraphs, (which adds to #1). 

 

I don't want to lure people away from trying this game. It really is a phenomenal game on so many levels. It's just a difficult game for people who enjoy games. I've heard it a lot that this game causes issues like mine above and at first I sort of dismissed it as carebear complaints. And maybe it is. 

 

But, to me, there is a big difference between a challenge and physical irritation.

Comments

  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member EpicPosts: 3,402
    Well, that's one opinion. Its worth trying the trial for it though. For me, I didn't like it past the trial there for I wont buy it.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    I remember hearing my friend smash the keys on his keyboard as he played his rogue in WoW.   The adrenalin rush was apparently strong in that one.  I'm surprised he didn't destroy the keyboard.  He did this for like 3 hours straight, every night.  Sounded painful to me, but apparently if you smash the keys hard enough, your character hits harder and faster than if you just leisurely tap them.  Oh, and one must hop about like mad man strafing in a circle about your opponent.  This is what rogues do, he says.  So physical pain is not necessarily a deterrent to playing... merely feeling said pain.  
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor London, ONMember UncommonPosts: 836
    Originally posted by Bootez    Wildstar just felt.... tiring.  But this game just does things to me that make it tiresome. Even at a basic questing level, Wildstar feels tedious.   But, to me, there is a big difference between a challenge and physical irritation.

    My feelings of Wildstar exactly.

    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

  • HeraseHerase LondonMember RarePosts: 867
    Originally posted by Bootez
    Despite hating beta, I started to get interested in this game again since I was reading a lot of fantastic reviews.   So, my plan: Get a 7 day code from a friend, play a few characters to level 20 to see if it was enjoyable, and bam, decide.    The first seven days were fantastic. I loved the telegraph system; the questing was fresh(ish), and the general feel of the game was really really good. So, after my seven days, I purchased the game.  It only took about two weeks for me to regret my purchase and here is why:   1) Although I do consider myself a "hardcore" player, since I've always spent many many hours raiding, doing hardmodes, etc in other games, the time I spent playing Wildstar just felt.... tiring. After the first two weeks (trial included), I started hating the way my hands felt after the game. My teeth were always clenched. My jaw began to hurt. I stopped wanted to log in because I knew I'd have some physical issues afterwards. Most games feel fairly relaxing to me, even in those hardcore raid settings where every little bit of dps/healing/threat counts and you're narrowly missing instant death every second. But this game just does things to me that make it tiresome. Even at a basic questing level, Wildstar feels tedious.    2) Because of reason #1, I ended up spending a gratuitous amount of time on housing. Housing is cool and all, but it isn't a social experience. I'm basically playing Minecraft with better graphics and a really limited space.   3) PvP is nothing but a giant clusterfuck of telegraphs, (which adds to #1).    I don't want to lure people away from trying this game. It really is a phenomenal game on so many levels. It's just a difficult game for people who enjoy games. I've heard it a lot that this game causes issues like mine above and at first I sort of dismissed it as carebear complaints. And maybe it is.    But, to me, there is a big difference between a challenge and physical irritation.

    Agree with your points to be fair, the game is hectic. Think that's what draws me to it in a odd way, i like game that have me clenching my arse, smash bros, LoL, S4, Tera (In some ways). In some way though i can't see appealing to the mass just because of how manic it can be hmm..

    Housing can be very anti-social, but then i found the houseing lovers circle or something like that, it open up doors abit, it's like a guild but not. just random guys that love housing and like to show off what they have to each other by making each other neighbours. Circles are a nice little way of meeting guys that like the same stuff, crafting, dungeons, gathering.

    PvP, no idea lol it is just madness. Not sure if it's any good in arean 3v3 2v2 were it can be controlled better, but yeah it's over the top in the BGs. You do get the odd moments of you vs 2 and wipe the floor with them haha

  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSMember UncommonPosts: 2,608
    I didn't last the 7 day friend invite.

    image

  • ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAMember UncommonPosts: 2,210

    Same here.  Linear quest-hubbing sucks, and for some reason, after 10 years, devs still aren't getting the message.  How many MMO's have to splash and crash?  100?  200?  1,000?

    Now, had Wildstar been designed for open world gameplay and challenging PVE, it would pwn, simply pwn.

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIMember RarePosts: 9,108
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    Same here.  Linear quest-hubbing sucks, and for some reason, after 10 years, devs still aren't getting the message.  How many MMO's have to splash and crash?  100?  200?  1,000? Now, had Wildstar been designed for open world gameplay and challenging PVE, it would pwn, simply pwn.

    I think WS might be the last in a long line of big budget mmorpgs built to try capitalize on WoW's success.

  • SoraksisSoraksis Havelock, NCMember UncommonPosts: 294
    Hmm different strokes for different folks.  I am having a blast with this one.  It is probably the best game released since Vanilla WoW.  There is so much stuff to do sometimes I cant decide where to go.  If my wife were home I would be playing instead of visiting these forums.  I am sorry you guys dont like the game it sure is a pitty because this one is a keeper.   Its very challenging probably one of the hardest games since EQ.  The atunements give you something to do for a long while and once you start raiding its insane.  Hell just making normal dungeon runs is hard as hell, but of course maybe its too hard.  People have playing playing dumbed down versions of MMO's for so long when the challenge everyone has been complaining about missing finally comes back they dont like it.  Oh well hopefully you guys will find something you like and can finally step away from the forums for a while and give the game bashing a break.
  • GrafvonRotzGrafvonRotz :)Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by FelixMajor
    Originally posted by Bootez    Wildstar just felt.... tiring.  But this game just does things to me that make it tiresome. Even at a basic questing level, Wildstar feels tedious.   But, to me, there is a big difference between a challenge and physical irritation.

    My feelings of Wildstar exactly.

    Same here. Also the small and boring quest text bubbles from meaningless npcs. I really want to read it and give the lore a chance but it is so incredibly tiring, empty and I find it impossible to care.

    A real shame. I like many aspects but the game can't deliver.

  • trisoxtrisox Somewhere. Maybe.Member UncommonPosts: 51

    i see many people saying that the game is hectic, but it is not in my opinion. As soon as you turn off the screenshake its pretty laid back as well. I personally stopped playing after finishing my raid attunement, because i was totally burned out on boring content. I didnt enjoy running dungeons day in, day out in any way just to get the timerun right. Though i went through the pain to do it with varying groups, so it was even more of a pain. I would have loved wildstar for what they praised it, but in the end its sadly not that much different from other mmos, except a few certain things.

    Things that bothered me the most are basically bugs that existed since early betas and still didnt get fixed. Also the "Attunement Quest" was nothing but a waste of time. Just a Contentblock. No Epic storyline or too much sense behind why you gotta do that stuff. I mean..you gotta kill 12 World Bosses, and for most of them, there is not a challenge at all. you just spend 30mins hitting a world boss with a 5 man group with scaled-down damage. He practically does no damage to the group whatsoever. Also some of the world bosses are still bugged since early betas.

    In no way im trying to tell anybody not to try the game yourself - its up to you in the end, but it just couldnt grasp my attention long enough.

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIMember RarePosts: 9,108
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    I remember hearing my friend smash the keys on his keyboard as he played his rogue in WoW.   The adrenalin rush was apparently strong in that one.  I'm surprised he didn't destroy the keyboard.  He did this for like 3 hours straight, every night.  Sounded painful to me, but apparently if you smash the keys hard enough, your character hits harder and faster than if you just leisurely tap them.  Oh, and one must hop about like mad man strafing in a circle about your opponent.  This is what rogues do, he says.  So physical pain is not necessarily a deterrent to playing... merely feeling said pain.  

    Well duh, everyone know this. The "hit harder" part is still up for debate and being tested daily.

     

    lmao too funny and was too true. Thank goodness there are a couple releases in the past year or so that have moved away from this ;) Block button ftw!

  • DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCMember CommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    Same here.  Linear quest-hubbing sucks, and for some reason, after 10 years, devs still aren't getting the message.  How many MMO's have to splash and crash?  100?  200?  1,000? Now, had Wildstar been designed for open world gameplay and challenging PVE, it would pwn, simply pwn.

    I think WS might be the last in a long line of big budget mmorpgs built to try capitalize on WoW's success.

    We say that every time one comes out and does this, but there always seems to be one more.

Sign In or Register to comment.