Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What IP do you feel deserves an MMO reboot?

Comments

• HellscreamHellscream Member UncommonPosts: 98
    City of Heroes without a doubt
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Asheron's Call
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I think an alien(s) mmo would be fun. What about a Journey to the center of the earth mmo?

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• FingzFingz Member UncommonPosts: 139

I'm going to say Star Wars Galaxies.  It was different from other games, more sandbox than anything else.  Yes, it need some tweaking but the devs went overboard and broke the game.

Lot's of people still miss that game.  It had 400k subs at one time.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by sludgebeard
    We all know MMO's are a tough business venture, with few companies willing to take the risk on big IPs, for fear of losing big on their investment. What in turn results is peoples favorite IP's not living up to the fans expectations on the MMO incarnations authenticity, thus hindering gamers satisfaction with the title and hindering the existing gameplay and world these gamers came to love.

So in other words, if you could reboot an IP based MMO, what would you pick and how would you make the new incarnation stick closer to fan relevance and still retain gameplay authenticity?

This is tricky for me. "Reboots" and "Spiritual Successors" make me nervous. If all they did was change the graphics and left the basic gameplay alone, I'd be interested.

The "feel of the game" is like an intricate ecological system. Mess with one mechanic and others may, or may not suffer. You just have to be careful.

Most of the time, they will "modernize" the game to attract new players with new features. I can not fault companies for doing this. Looking at an old IP and seeing the massive increase in the playerbase, why wouldn't companies want to tap into that?

For me, I guess EQ with all its faults (even my hated "must group past level 20" mechanic) and gameplay still in place with new graphics would intrigue me. I won't hold me breath, though :)

[EDIT]
    Forgot to mention City of Heroes, but with City of Titans being worked on as a "Spiritual Successor", I'll have to see :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Tenebrys22Tenebrys22 Member UncommonPosts: 31

Middle Earth Sandbox or Wheel of Time sandbox. I need one of these in my life :(

Also, A warhammer game that isnt buggy as all hell would be nice.

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by Tenebrys22

Middle Earth Sandbox or Wheel of Time sandbox. I need one of these in my life :(

Also, A warhammer game that isnt buggy as all hell would be nice.

I remember reading the original MEO forums and dev posts. There was a huge discussion on whether they wanted instances or an open world game.

It was strange because, they explained the benefits of both styles of game, asked the community how they felt on the subject, the community subsequently stated they preferred open world without instances, the developers agreed....

...Then a week later there was a post saying they had gone with instances instead. People got pissed, and the devs claimed it was out of their control. The game went defunct shortly after and became LotRo. To this day I still believe there was some publisher or outside force that caused that descision and the future choices that led us to the abomination that is LotRo.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Dauntis

How come people can't understand "reboot" not original MMO.

Matrix would be a good one to redo.

Star Wars especially with the new movies coming.

By the title he's just asking for reboots of any IP as an MMO, but that's besides the point.

If it had to be an MMO reboot... Shadowbane, since DAoC is already being done :)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Shadowbane!
  • BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410

Hands down Tabula Rasa! Come on, make it happen NCSoft! 

Ever since they sent a takedown notice for my private server emulator couple a years ago I feel deep emptiness :U 

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    If I never see another remake or sequel ever again, I'd be a happy camper.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

Just to clarify my OP for everyone. 

Im specifically asking about Existing, Cancelled, or Pre-Development MMO's that have used a specific IP and deserve a new game based on the IP.

Game of Thrones -- rebooted to NOT be a browser mmo

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Shadowbane or SWG

imageimage

• zinnikeyszinnikeys Member UncommonPosts: 45
    The Chronicles of Spellborn
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Lord of the Rings.

Larger world, better art design (more to the point, the avatars) I'd prefer a somewhat more sandboxy world with some caveats in order to maintain the story points. So no orcs camping hobbiton, or hobbits storming mordor.

This^

I'd love to see a new MMORPG that takes place in Middle-Earth that doesn't have anything to do with the Lord of the Rings. Just put me in that world, pretty please!

Oh, and yes... Make it larger, like it's supposed to be. Distances between places in LOTRO are ridicilous!

Actually, I don't mind the "lord of the rings part".

I would even go for a yearly "large" event cycle where it starts at gandalf at Frodo's place and ends at the destroying of the ring. Then a month or two hang time and start all over though players get to keep their progression, items, property, etc.

This way the "war of the ring" is going on but players will experience it or not depending on where they are in the world. I realize that's a bit pie in the sky but I just want a more realistic larger middle earth to play in.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • advokat666advokat666 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Yes Lord of the Rings in a modern MMO version would be awesome and of course a reboot of Warhammer. That would be my two favorites.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

A few comes to mind:

Star wars. A Star wars game that actually feels close to the real movies(the ones without Jar-Jar). Not SWG (which did have an amazing crafting system but never felt like the movies) or TOR (combat healers in SW and other trinity things don't work).

Maybe based on the new FFG pen and paper game with no levels and with a nice crafting based ship customization allowing groups to have small customized ship al'a Millenium falcon and larger guilds larger cruisers or maybe even Star destroyers with fighters on. A bit sandbox, a bit themepark and some awesome guild Vs guild with ship combat. RvR like the battle of Hoth would be nice as well.

Then I would try something similar to WW2 online which had a great idea but never really was as fun as it should be. Personally do I think WW1 would be more fun though, I could see a game where guilds could build and own there own trenches. I would like some mechanics with a kind of perma death so your skill go down to noob if you die (but not your rank), so a pilot who is an ace could do rather cool things with his plane but if he dies he needs to gain 5 victories or so to become an ace again. The reason I think WW1 would work better is that bombing really makes things harder in WW2 compared to what it was in WW1. And no-one would play nazis which might offend plenty of people (including me if the "roleplay" hardcore enough).

Asherons call with modern graphics would be nice as well. It was a very different game compared to what we see today and something like that do still have a potential.

But most of all: Warhammer. A MMO based on Warhammer fantasy RPG with a slightly modified version of experience to last longer (no level and still gaining careers instead of levels though). A campaign based on "The enemy within" would be awesome, it is still one of the best RPG campaigns ever made. But I would focus it on PvE instead of PvP because it is the focus of the Warhammer RPG.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

Such a difficult question to answer with there being so many great IP, many not given their justice, to choose from.

Science Fiction: Star Wars

I'd love to see a Star Wars sandbox done with the graphical capability developers have these days. I missed the prime of SWG and had my heart ripped out with SWTOR. I think the likelihood of seeing a new Star Wars based mmo has skyrocketed with the direction Disney is taking the franchise.

Fantasy: Lord of The Rings

I felt Lotro hit some area's nicely and came adequately close to making a player feel like they were in Middle Earth, but post-launch it has become a mess of a cash grab. Theme-parks are a thing of the past, imo, and I'd love to see a great sandbox with features similar to what Pathfinder Online is doing but in a Middle Earth setting.

Other favorites: Conan, Elder Scrolls, Stargate, & Game of Thrones

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Gamma world MMO please! Post apocalyptic world FTW.

Oh, reboot. Got it. How about Star Trek.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

Originally posted by cybersrs
    Star Wars

Star Wars was my thought as soon as I read the title .. Not like SWTOR

ANY version of SWG is better

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Lord of the Rings done more like SWG and less like Wow.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Lord of the Rings.

Larger world, better art design (more to the point, the avatars) I'd prefer a somewhat more sandboxy world with some caveats in order to maintain the story points. So no orcs camping hobbiton, or hobbits storming mordor.

Would love to see better quality release of LOTRO for sure. More then any game. Even at release the mechanics and physics behind how avatar move or combat were bad. Like somebody forced them to eat wooden sticks, you run, jump, change in air direction ... and you land before spot from where you jumped(com'on!), keys not responding as it should .... actually find it acceptable (mainly because I'm in love with lore), but after started to play Wow (for which I did not know lore before) with incredible feeling for fight and rest ... simply could not enjoy any more. Great in this sense also Aoc, even ARR, War, .... any other game I played after.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    A 3 way tie for me..  I would like to see a reboot of EQ1 with modern day upgrades and tweaks..  SWG with all the fixes.. and LoTR that plays more like a MMO, then a single player lobby game.. 
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Kaneth
    Asheron's Call. It's sad that Turbine has ignored their firstborn for all these years. AC1 had a great amount of depth and tons of interesting places to go and see. AC2, I feel, had some really good combat for it's time, and had interesting class ideas. There's a lot of potential there.

Turbine didn't ignore AC1 they have been releasing monthly content updates for the game all these years.  The last one was in March this year.  They will only be releasing bug fixes from now on though but still it is pretty impressive to be releasing new content on a monthly basis after 15 years.

Also AC2 got re-activated in 2012 on a new server.