Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What IP do you feel deserves an MMO reboot?

sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

We all know MMO's are a tough business venture, with few companies willing to take the risk on big IPs, for fear of losing big on their investment. What in turn results is peoples favorite IP's not living up to the fans expectations on the MMO incarnations authenticity, thus hindering gamers satisfaction with the title and hindering the existing gameplay and world these gamers came to love.

So in other words, if you could reboot an IP based MMO, what would you pick and how would you make the new incarnation stick closer to fan relevance and still retain gameplay authenticity?

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Dragonlance.

I'm not even picky about the time period, although a time period where the Knights of Solamnia and Knights of Takhisis/Neraka are at each others throats would be nice...

If it had to be an IP from a game and not just any IP...

Master of Orion Online. Persistent 4X in an absolutely massive universe. Hell, they couldn't butcher it any worse than they did with MoO3.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Lord of the Rings.

Larger world, better art design (more to the point, the avatars) I'd prefer a somewhat more sandboxy world with some caveats in order to maintain the story points. So no orcs camping hobbiton, or hobbits storming mordor.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Song of Illium..and ancient Greek Mythology.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
     The Wheel of Time, maybe during the Trolloc Wars. 
  • DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Tabula Rasa!
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    FFXI
  • YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

Anything dystopian.  The Matrix Online comes to mind.

We all know 'generally' SOE is a pretty awful company and it's track record with The Matrix Online had some cool features (like the rock paper scissors combat was at least novelty interesting) but the game overall was pretty terrible.

We need a new dystopian game, preferably with sci fi elements to freshen up the landscape.

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by Dominionlord
    Tabula Rasa!

I would of  bet on findiing a 4 leaf clover before I thought someone would want that game back.  Ironically enough I'm with you...I'd love a better implementation of that style game (maybe Defiance is what we get?).

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    I'd like to see someone do a Star Trek MMO that focuses on roleplay and character interaction, rather than combat and linear.  The current Star Trek MMO doesn't capture the essence of Star Trek francise; it was always an interpersonal drama, not so much an impersonal space combat drama.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by Beatnik59
    I'd like to see someone do a Star Trek MMO that focuses on roleplay and character interaction, rather than combat and linear.  The current Star Trek MMO doesn't capture the essence of Star Trek francise; it was always an interpersonal drama, not so much an impersonal space combat drama.

This is mine as we'll.

A Star Trek MMO that was more of a Bridge Simulator with focus on exploration would be anazing. Also with serious consequences for combat ether by Federation law or Harsh death penalty for your ship and crew to make combat a very important choice, that would be Star Trek.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

nah .. star trek is driven by stories. We are talking about character interactions written by professional writers. I will pass if i have to suffer "character interactions" from players. A point and click adventure can capture that much better.

Secondly, there are enough space battle in star trek and there is no reason why video games cannot capture that.

BTW, the new trek is also action movies now, beyond just interpersonal drama.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Re: Monster, would make an interesting mmo.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by sludgebeard
    Also with serious consequences for combat ether by Federation law or Harsh death penalty for your ship and crew to make combat a very important choice, that would be Star Trek.

Are you kidding me? There is no serious consequences in star trek. Everything reset at the end of the episode. Even Spock's death was not permanent.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Also with serious consequences for combat ether by Federation law or Harsh death penalty for your ship and crew to make combat a very important choice, that would be Star Trek.

Are you kidding me? There is no serious consequences in star trek. Everything reset at the end of the episode. Even Spock's death was not permanent.

Tell that to the red shirts on away parties from the original series.  image

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Every player character isn't Data or Picard. Or are you still stuck on that corporate themeparks PR "every characters a hero"??!

Not every character needs to be the main character, this is exactl why the storyline in ESO sucked. A line of Herod to turn I. The same quest being told how special they are!

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Asheron's Call. It's sad that Turbine has ignored their firstborn for all these years. AC1 had a great amount of depth and tons of interesting places to go and see. AC2, I feel, had some really good combat for it's time, and had interesting class ideas. There's a lot of potential there.
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Joe Dever's Lone Wolf.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

Mass Effect

Well loved, save for the mixed reception of the third title.

Fantastic, large universe with tons of potential.

Some of the most beautifully realized, varied, and interesting species to grace Science Fiction.

Strong potential for a quality, branching personal storyline.

Lends itself to a strong action combat or TPS-style combat system.

Console titles already benefit from strong artwork, music, and sound design.

Already brings a number of MMO-style classes to the table that could really shine in a multiplayer online setting.

Basically, I want it.

• JoeyjojoshabaduJoeyjojoshabadu Member UncommonPosts: 162

Elder Scrolls, without question. Should have done an 'ESO reborn' type arrangement and removed Zenimax Online Studios from the picture. Mark my words, apart from a few brief upswings in sub numbers from things like the console release, it will never really recover from it's fairly poor initial reception. The question is, how long will they continue to beat the horse before accepting that it is and will remain a niche game. They can run with that, to be sure, as many of the rusted-on fans claim they're happy with it being a niche game, but that in itself indicates why ESO it doesn't do justice or live up to it's hugely and widely popular IP.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    The Matrix Online!!! Imagine it with the newer engines out there!
  • Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

Dungeons & Dragons

Any setting. Keep the character customization from DDO but add an upgraded graphics engine and middleware. Also, add in some sandbox elements (the premise of D&D doesn't really lend itself to full sandbox). But allow homesteads and keeps. Maybe some non-combat character classes to add to economy (smiths, weavers, farmers, miners, you get the idea). Just somethings to keep it from being 100% scripted. As someone said, not everyone is going to be a hero.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

How about Might and Magic?

Think about the first parts of the series. They had a deep great char system and the world/story was awesome  I havent played the lastest part, ended with 6, but imho if you would change the combat from round based to action and made the singleplayer group into a MMO kind of party it could be nice. Might be pink nostalgia but I would like to see a M&M MMO. 

Otherwise Im with the Asheron's Call and also Matrix Online crowd. Loved AC 1 and only played a bit of AC2 (bought the box!) before it got shutdown the first time so maybe an AC 3 sandbox modern uber MMORPG would be nice. And the Matix because well... it is the Matrix after all. Genius movie and beautiful universe. Imho it finally deserves a well done MMORPG.. one might say the ONE mmorpg  ; )

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

City of Heroes.

Unless it has to be one of the big IPs, then I'd probably vote for DnD.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• shyheimeqshyheimeq Member Posts: 8

Warhammer Online... best PvP experience I've ever had hands down... so many maps, so much open PvP, no game has come close to it yet. Which makes me realize even though people scream they want real PvP, they don't really want it

Star Wars Galaxies... playing SWTOR just makes me sad. An entire galaxy to explore yet the world seems so small. No real cities, no wilderness, everything is on rails. The world of Star Wars was meant to be a sandbox

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

How come people can't understand "reboot" not original MMO.

Matrix would be a good one to redo.

Star Wars especially with the new movies coming.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk