Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Free Trial Event Kicks Off

2»

Comments

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    @Distopia, I think you need to register an account with Square Enix, there should be a step by step guide that I have seen on my freind laptop just now. you probably missed it?
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Originally posted by Orangeaids
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Originally posted by Albatroes As far as having a trial similar to XI, look at how well that game is doing....yeah....

Yea its like 10+ years old and still has subscription, so i guess its doing great

Do you know their numbers or just the fact that they still exist? If you do research, you'll see how dead that game honestly is and the fact that half the "subscriber-base" is just being ran by a single player (meaning multi-clients). Good for the business, not so much the players. Unlimited trials allow you to still do things with friends and such even if you do not feel like paying. Certain restrictions prevent the in-game currency spammers from abusing the system. Based on the restrictions listed by ARR, it seems to be good (in theory at least).

uh huh...ok *nods*

Well according to the Quarter 2 numbers, looks like with still over 6.5 million active  subscribers, WOW is still king of the hill and looks to be for years to come.  Haters gonna hate I guess.  Truth is, every new shiny MMO release is slated to be the new king, when the fact is they go free to play within 18 months and transition over to the micro-transaction model.  WOW just has too much polish and a head start over anyone else and these days no one has the money to put in the development time to try and get something close to WOW.  Truth.

That and it doesn't help that so many games copy so many aspects of WoW. But as i said, wow still doesn't feel worth playing but thats just me since I've advanced pretty far in wow. The thing behind copying wow is that the same process happens. People sub for 1-2 months then stop till an update. Since WoW honestly hasn't updated the game in a while and is more focused on WoD, people are just drifting around trying the new things that pop till the xpac drops. Then its back to the same routine, buy xpac > play for 1-2 months > unsub till update.

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Anybody not getting their emails?
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

If anyone is interested in learning together, I am on the Siren Server US. Name is "Ivylena Snowmyst". You have to have a Surname I think. :)

Edit: Moogles are sooooooo cute. lol

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by ZenTaoYingYang
    @Distopia, I think you need to register an account with Square Enix, there should be a step by step guide that I have seen on my freind laptop just now. you probably missed it?

I did but it won't let me login even after confirming the email. Weird, it might be due to still having some info from the beta in my registry, as it uninstalled it when I launched the trial software, I've redid the registration a few times, the weird part is that whenever I follow the email link, it takes me to a page to log into my beta account, rather than the new account even though I created a new Email address. I gave up for now, could just be overload or something due to the new trial. As it keeps saying I'm not registered on my new account (when I hit login on the launcher).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CordenCorden Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by ZenTaoYingYang

I did but it won't let me login even after confirming the email. Weird, it might be due to still having some info from the beta in my registry, as it uninstalled it when I launched the trial software, I've redid the registry a few times, the weird part is that whenever I follow the email link, it takes me to a page to log into my beta account, rather than the new account even though I created a new Email address. I gave up for now, could just be overload or something due to the new trial. As it keeps saying I'm not registered on my new account (when I hit login on the launcher).

I'm having the same problem as well. Like you, I also have previously played the game, so it's possible that has something to do with it. It's frustrating, because I wanted to see what the game was like again without having to make an investment (Since I'm very unsure whether I'd like to return). Oh well, I'll try again later I suppose.

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152
    Only reason I've never played/tried this game is because I've had to pay for it before trying it and seeing if I like it. Good move SE, downloading right now!
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Thank you OP for making us all aware of this!   I've wanted to give this game a go but can't bring myself to buy it with all the disappointments going on in the MMO world.  This is great, downloading now!  :)

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606

This game is the best MMO out right now. I feel as excited about this game as I did when WoW came out. Amazing graphics, tons of features, great story driven PvE and memorable NPC's.

The production value is amazing. i suggest anyone looking for a new MMO to give it a fair shot.

• yonpachiyonpachi Member UncommonPosts: 191

No,

Moogles are annoying prick :(

• BoltharBolthar Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Millions of subscribers throughout the year. Consecutive? no. Plus you need to read closely to released numbers. Many games will say active accounts/players/etc. Not a lot of people honestly "play" (which of course doesnt matter to the business) as the numbers they actually state. Besides, WoW does offer quite a bit to people up to level 20. Instances, pvp, dabble in crafting, getting a mount. FFXIV:ARR only offers 4 instances and some crafting. Can't even use a mount till like 21+.

Give it a rest..  Just play WoW.  There is no need to troll this game.

That's the other thing. WoW is gonna kill itself with WoD (if they keep along with what is going on in beta), which may be good, but still bad for people who did like WoW at some point. I wish I could just play WoW but there's not point since nothing has been updated and Blizzard is too focused on WoD. Putting all their eggs in one basket. Anyway, not saying FFXIV is bad, just watch the wording and if they had an unlimited trial, it would be best for consumers at least.

WoW is doing to itself what EQ did to itself and Blizzard is not learning this either I don't think (maybe theey are and I can't see it but last couple expansions have seemed this way). As expansions went on EQ the gameplay got worse and worse. Same thing with WoW. They keep adding "features" and modifying things to the point where if you played the first couple expansions and then quit and came back today it would be a totally different game. EQ held my attention until the Shadows of Luclin and I loved it. I would even say I was a fanboy. I up and quit because it got to the point where the gameplay itself was altered so much it became unenjoyable to me. WoW is really just following down this path. Toss a new "innovative idea" in there even if it has no appeal for a large majority and THEN change the game to work well around this addition that most people are not even overly utilizing/liking. I am not crying for the downfall of WoW, I am not a WoW hater. I just know that as games "mature" if the vision strays too much from the origins of the game it turns sloppy.

Now on to FFXIV.... Why is it I just got in the mail on the 28th my copy of this game because I could not find a free trial so I had to buy it in order to see if I liked it. Now its here being offered for free. Ugh this is the kind of situation that makes me glad I don't buy lottery tickets. I guess I can try this free trial, setup an account, and then link the game code when it forces me to for another free month should I still like it after the free trial. Luckily I have not redeemed the code yet so I am going to try down that path.

• HytekHytek Member UncommonPosts: 153
    "Trial only available on PC", boo! ;(

I have found in my lifetime, that the beauty of hating stupid people is, that it crosses all racial boundaries.

• EstrangeEstrange Member Posts: 29
    Going to state the unsaid.

We don't give a flying f about WoW. Quit bringing it up on every article. This goes for other sites. It is pathetic.

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. - Mark Twain

• AlxuoheyAlxuohey Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by Boudewijns
    this is going to be the biggest mistake they ever going to make, its going to be a spamfest for gil sellers

No, they blocked chat commands for the trial accounts.

• EstrangeEstrange Member Posts: 29
    Oh and F Blizzard, they have copied about every new system they implemented over the past decade.

Oh and thank God they made phasing popular. Joy to the MMO world!

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. - Mark Twain

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Seemed like a decent enough game but our gaming community decided to give it a pass because of various problems with their customer support . 
  • greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by falc0n
    Anybody not getting their emails?

I had a problem with this at the start when trying to register . I did it on multiple email before one got through to me . I think it was a yahoo address it eventually got through on . ( and I did check the spam on those other emails as well ) . The emails did come eventually but it took a day or two on aol , hotmail and  gmail  dunno why that was . 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I own the game but haven't subbed in a looong time. I didn't want to pay $14.99 to remind myself if I wanted to play or not. This is a good offer to hop in and shake the cobwebs out and see what I was missing.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Been trying for over an hour just to begin the client download. I can't even log in. I have a square enix account, and I use it with their web site with no problems, I have a profile, etc, but does that info work with the game launcher?? HELL NO. I even tried to make a new square enix account and the email verification hasn't showed up for 45 mins, and funny that, because it says the code they send you expires in 1 hour.

Been waiting for password reset emails for over an hour now for my first SE account.

EVERY time I deal with this company I run into the exact same bullshit. This is why I don't buy their products. I thought, free trial, why not? Now I know why not, because I can't even log in, let alone download the client. Sad.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Their account management and customer support (for North America at least) is by far the worst I have ever dealt with. And that's saying a lot because I had to go through cancelling an AOL account back in the 90's

• ElandrialElandrial Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Ingvar
    Over 1.8 million adventurers? Does that mean subs? :o

since it is a sub game ONLY ,means either a sub with purchase or a ongoing sub.

• ElandrialElandrial Member UncommonPosts: 179
    This is why WoW will always win....play forever up to level 20....if only companies learned.

free to 20 omg that take what 8 hours in wow?but yes you can play your lvl 20 char forever.what a joke.

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

I'd rather have a vanilla server back, prior to them ruining the combat system, and in turn the rest of the game.

Yes, ARR is less copy/paste, but it could've been so much more if they didn't just abolish the old game entirely.