Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's pretty sad that no MMO can even hold a candle to 2003.

1234568»

Comments

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Dihoru

? Of course not because modern games have the be flashy and sexy (look at all the people tearing AA a new one because "lol dated chinesy graphics!!! so lame!!!!!" ) 

What? AA has the nicest graphics I've ever seen in an MMO (outside of maybe ESO but graphics were the only thing that I found attractive about ESO).

Bored kids on the internet will complain about anything. You could design your game on a supercomputer with photorealistic graphics and these morons would still pick it apart. If companies choose to listen to and base their decisions on the internet whining of those kind of people that's their mistake.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by iridescence

Bored kids on the internet will complain about anything. You could design your game on a supercomputer with photorealistic graphics and these morons would still pick it apart. If companies choose to listen to and base their decisions on the internet whining of those kind of people that's their mistake.

If they listen to just about anything they hear on the internet it would be a mistake. People don't know what they really want till someone shows it to them.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by iridescence
    Originally posted by Dihoru

? Of course not because modern games have the be flashy and sexy (look at all the people tearing AA a new one because "lol dated chinesy graphics!!! so lame!!!!!" ) 

What? AA has the nicest graphics I've ever seen in an MMO (outside of maybe ESO but graphics were the only thing that I found attractive about ESO).

... and our loss.

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Originally posted by Foomerang

You want a living, breathing, virtual world? Find any mmo, make a character, and start living and breathing in it.

Why don't you address his post with more than a smart ass reply?  He wrote a long post and you give a 1 word sentence reply that doesn't mean anything.  YOU are whats wrong with this board.  Either give a good reply to his post or stfu.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • midnitewolfmidnitewolf Member UncommonPosts: 64

While SWG had a number of flaws, it still is the best over MMO experience I have ever had.   Also I think it was the last truly innovative MMO to hit the market.  The concepts behind the game were way, way ahead of their time and no other MMO had even attempted some of the things that made it great.

Also it had true life to it.  There wasn't a MoB to kill every few feet.  You might run for 5-10 mins and not see anything more dangerous than the Star Wars equalivent of a rabbit then crest a hill to find yourself face to face with the scariest creature on the Planet.  It was awesome.

I remember one time when I made a camp on a hill and just sat there for 30 mins watching a group of Sludge Panthers or whatever they were called, stalk and hunt  a group of herd animals.  The game just truly felt alive.

Games just don't have this anymore.  There is never any reason to just log in and well do nothing except just be in the game admiring the game world or perhaps head to a cantina just to listen to a player made band strike up the tunes and watch people dance in their weirdest costumes.

I think the problem today is all games are a race to max level and end game which is just boring at hell.  The best games never had an end game and it was the journey, not the result of that journey that was fun.

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by blythega
    There is a simple reason why this game is "no longer"

An accountant did the numbers at SOE and it was not making a profit.

Yes, there is a simple reason. You missed it, though.

SW:G was running until SW:TOR killed it. No license renewal and LucasArts wanted no competition, so the plug gets pulled on SW:G.

It did not close down because of low population or any other reason, though any of those reasons may have been close to closing the doors. SW:G definitely did not have WoW numbers at the time of shut-down, but what MMO does? It was shut down because of the new Star Wars MMO, SW:TOR.

Stop quoting the truth!  Most here could care less about why the game was shutdown.  They make up their own truths to suit there needs so that the fantasy worlds they live in make sense to them.   In those fantasy worlds SW:G was shut down because it didn't have enough players, had too many bugs, was too damn hard in many ways, and was too much a niche game to survive in the WoW dominated market where games are so easy a child can play them.

You sir should be flogged for actually speaking the truth and shattering all those fantasies you did when you posted that.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by whisperwynd
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Cephus404

Originally posted by goboygo

Originally posted by Darkholme

Originally posted by ice-vortex Nostalgia.
    No, it isn't just nostalgia. I keep going back to old games and emulators and staying with them because they are objectively better experiences.
    No, it's purely subjective.  You define the criteria you like and you pick games that meet that criteria.  That's subjective. The overwhelming majority of people don't use that criteria, if they did, games like SWG wouldn't have failed in the first place because everyone would have been playing them pre-CU.
    What's not objective at all is the depth of game play that SWG offered, no other MMO has even come close, but no you don't have to like it or appreciate it.
    Yup, that's not objective at all.  You're completely right there.
    I didn't realize they changed the definition of depth of gameplay to include good concepts that never worked.

Actually, it seems someone wishes to change the definition of 'objective'.  image

Unfortunately, lots of people have no clue what that word means.  Objective means that it isn't based on opinion or desire, it's based on demonstrable evidence.  The second someone starts talking about "good concepts" and what they want to see in a game, they're no longer being objective.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by whisperwynd

Actually, it seems someone wishes to change the definition of 'objective'.  image

Unfortunately, lots of people have no clue what that word means.  Objective means that it isn't based on opinion or desire, it's based on demonstrable evidence.  The second someone starts talking about "good concepts" and what they want to see in a game, they're no longer being objective.

I agree. Though I'm sure many simply overlook the mistake and continue the debate without seeing the sarcastic post pointing in out, making sometimes some really hilarious conversations.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I doubt that.

There were many and not all that simple.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I doubt that.

There were many and not all that simple.

I suspect that right were yanked by LucasArts so that Bioware's SWTOR didn't have competition.. 

• intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Darkholme
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Nostalgia.

No, it isn't just nostalgia. I keep going back to old games and emulators and staying with them because they are objectively better experiences.

No, it's purely subjective.  You define the criteria you like and you pick games that meet that criteria.  That's subjective. The overwhelming majority of people don't use that criteria, if they did, games like SWG wouldn't have failed in the first place because everyone would have been playing them pre-CU.

I just have to quote this for 100% pure pwnicity.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

It is pretty sad, yes.

When games made by about 40 people on a 1 million dollar budget, are more imaginative, have more features, and have more play styles available for all kinds of people, than 300 million dollar projects of today.

Blow for blow, modern MMOs are nowhere near where they should be.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by time007
    Originally posted by Foomerang You want a living, breathing, virtual world? Find any mmo, make a character, and start living and breathing in it.

Why don't you address his post with more than a smart ass reply?  He wrote a long post and you give a 1 word sentence reply that doesn't mean anything.  YOU are whats wrong with this board.  Either give a good reply to his post or stfu.

I did later down the thread. Maybe read past the first reply before knee-jerk flaming?
  • MimirAesirMimirAesir Member Posts: 12

I'm old school and proud of it. It's not just SWG. Nostalgia for that game is just a placeholder for all the feelings the old-timers have.

The games made in 99-03 felt like they were made by a team that cared. They weren't just cookie cutter formulaic 'stuff'' that came from the marketing and accounting departments.

These game worlds were believable in two senses: they felt like simulations where you could permanently affect the game world and the developers believed in their creations.

Eve Online, Horizons, Tale in the Desert, SWG coming on fresh - the still vibrant EQ and DAoC - the echo of UO and AC and the fond memories of M59.

Sorry, 1999-2003 is a time period worth remembering and worth re-telling. Maybe some development shop that hasn't sold out will hear the story and be inspired.

Mimir.

Each evening, from December to December,
    Before you drift to sleep upon your cot,
    Think back on all the tales that you remember
    Of Camelot.
    Ask ev'ry person if he's heard the story,
    And tell it strong and clear if he has not,
    That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
    Called Camelot.

Meridian59 '96-'99/Everquest (Vallon Zek) '99-'03/Shadowbane '03/SWG '04/This and that '05-'10/Eve Online '11/LotR '11-'12

• KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626

im really tired of people who clearly never played it during its prime trying to say it was the best game ever, no it wasnt. it wasnt that good. the player cities were always ghost towns and completely useless .

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Kratier

im really tired of people who clearly never played it during its prime trying to say it was the best game ever, no it wasnt. it wasnt that good. the player cities were always ghost towns and completely useless .

Oh it absolutely had its flaws. I stopped played because of the awful Jedi system.

But... the MMO genre has fallen so far, that the ideas of SWG, even if they didn't all work, is so much more appealing than the same, equally poorly designed features in modern MMOs. At least those old ideas tried something new and encouraged people to work together.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

For every amazing aspect of SWG, there was an equally terrible aspect. Definitely a very polarizing game even at its peak.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Bannuk

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

There is a simple reason why this game is "no longer"An accountant did the numbers at SOE and it was not making a profit.
    Yes, there is a simple reason. You missed it, though.SW:G was running until SW:TOR killed it. No license renewal and LucasArts wanted no competition, so the plug gets pulled on SW:G.It did not close down because of low population or any other reason, though any of those reasons may have been close to closing the doors. SW:G definitely did not have WoW numbers at the time of shut-down, but what MMO does? It was shut down because of the new Star Wars MMO, SW:TOR.
    Stop quoting the truth!  Most here could care less about why the game was shutdown.  They make up their own truths to suit there needs so that the fantasy worlds they live in make sense to them.   In those fantasy worlds SW:G was shut down because it didn't have enough players, had too many bugs, was too damn hard in many ways, and was too much a niche game to survive in the WoW dominated market where games are so easy a child can play them.You sir should be flogged for actually speaking the truth and shattering all those fantasies you did when you posted that.
    i'm sorry...
    <locks lips and tosses away the key> :D

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

The thing I missed the most from that era (SWG) was the crafting.. It was by far the best crafting I have ever play with.. Paired that with owning your own shop and having a player driven economy was unmatched..  However, there were a few tweaks I and others asked for, sometimes demanded, and often IGNORED by the devs without explanation.. 

What I loved about it:

1. I loved the unlocking of the skill tree.. If you wanted to dabble in the basics, you could, and if you wanted to use all your points to be a master, you could.. Personally I loved being a jack of all trades.. (however)..
    2. I loved how resources fluctuated from week to week..  planet to planet, zone to zone.. It made you explore the unknown, which to me is much better then static locations..
    3. I loved how the quality of resource used, affected the finished product.. If you used crap materials = crap product.. Coupled this with #2 above.. OMG, it was so much fun..
    4. I loved the player economy that I made the BEST or could make the best product in the area.. Tie this in with owning your own shop to display your merchandise and sell it.. BAMMMMMM..
    However, there were some major issues I had as well.. Two that were game breakers..
    1. Experimental points..  This killed being a Jack of ALL trades characters.. The higher you went up the skill the tree, the more points you got, which affected the quality of product your produces.. It was impossible for a novice artisan to make a tier 1 beginning product as good as a master..  This was asked to be addressed by the players council and it was ignored..
    2. Manufacturing was too OP.. Couple this with too many harvesters, and it had a notable impact in the economy.. Harvesters and Factories should of been addressed and nerfed a little.. 
    As for the other issues like "BOTTING" that help destroy the game.. I would of loved to stay and play SWG regularly if they just fixed some of the easy problems that plagued the game..  I'm still baffled how and why SOE went the direction it did not once, but twice..
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

It is pretty sad, yes.

When games made by about 40 people on a 1 million dollar budget, are more imaginative, have more features, and have more play styles available for all kinds of people, than 300 million dollar projects of today.

Blow for blow, modern MMOs are nowhere near where they should be.

wait .. what features? The old games are missing flying mounts, LFD/LFR, phasing, instanced travel, mini-map, game modes, and many other features.