Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EA Games becoming the greatest game company to date?

13»

Comments

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

this information came up very suddenly and not enough detail about it...

They are droping everyones jaws with this service only to rip it off  their faces when they announce whats the catch in all of this.

The flames of hell will consume the world soon....  i need my popcorn!

Play as much at you want!

(but if you try multiplayer you will need to purchase the game for your unique multiplayer key identifier!)

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

The EA is dead(i hope),long live the good ol

I just hope they stay on this path ,which sounds freaking good.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by BailoPan15

Idk about your experiences but I've had a blast in Battlefield 3 and 4 also the Mass Effect trilogy, not to mention Sims and Sim City. I proudly own Fifa 12 and Fifa 14 and enjoy playing FUT every single day. Owning both dragon age games and absolutely love them. If they add open world exploring ala skyrim in the upcoming one, that would be fucking awesome and no prejudice would stop me from enjoying the game. Everytime I spent money on EA games title, they've delivered in one way or another. I see no reason to 'hate' them. 

Good luck to you my friend but you are missing out on great games.

BF3+4 dont even have the basics of any shooter right, the hit detection. the amount of killing each other and "around the corner" kills is just insane and shows how bad there code is.

BF3 was even worse, BF4 is the better game. Ofc this ignores the premium and DLC shit.

Its EA, wanne bet those 5 or 30 € just allow you to play a demo version of all the new games ? You know they currently sell demos for new games. Pathetic company

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Well to be fair, you won't be playing bad games for longer than a day or two anyway, so 5$ to try a terrible game and not buy it is a hell of a lot better than buying it and later deciding you hate it.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Miblet

So EA rents select games under a subscription program and they become the best?

Bearing in mind you never actually own the games they allow access to, and I would guess that new releases would be withheld from the Vault service to promote such title's sales, I don't think it's as great a deal as it sounds unless you are a huge EA fan already.

Well they do (at least on PC through origin) offer that great game guarantee now as well, don't like it you can get a refund... Not a bad practice at all if you ask me. On the house is pretty cool as well. WHo doesn't like free games?

I think the number 1 issue for those who are not interested is that the games do not appeal to them.

If the games did appeal to them I am sure they would come up with the money to have bought them already

Possibly, although I'd say I wasn't really interested in Dead Space nor BF3, but after getting them for free I wish I had bought them sooner. Pretty decent games to get for free IMO.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    I think Nintendo is the greatest game company, they made video games mainstream with the first Mario and all their characters are considered Icons in the industry.  Many people who play games now started gaming with either an NES or SNES, or N64.  While other companies struggle in consoles like Sega and Atari, or compete against each other like Sony and MS, Nintendo just keeps trucking on because their games and characters are stamped into the hearts of every kid of every generation since the 80s to present.  Metroid, Zelda and Mario will always keep bringing the fans back eventually.

After the launch of PS4 and XBO nintendo's profits plummeted. They USED to be good. Now they just live off of their name. Like so many other brands including but not limited to Apple Inc.

Originally posted by neobahamut20

Originally posted by GregorMcgregor
    What I want is a solid game with a good story that will keep me interested for hours on end.

....And yet you said "call of duty & battlefield".

I'm at a loss for words here! :)

"Where is your God now?" ..He's LOLing! ;)

I suppose you've never played either of those in multiplayer. Pirating much? 

Hearing younger teenturds mic spamming and crying about hacking 90% of the time was enough to make me stop playing MP in those games. Also, they removed (at least in COD but a friend's BF3 was the same shit) chosing your own server and what not so it made it all even more boring since now you dont have servers requiring you to be good or else ban so most games are against shit players.  I don't feel happier if I kick shit around in the street, same applies to the Internet.

[mod edit] First of all you can turn off VoIP COMPLETELY. You can also MUTE users, and on top of that, you can damn well pick your own server from the Battlelog. Hell you can even search for specific servers. 

Originally posted by Niburu

Idk about your experiences but I've had a blast in Battlefield 3 and 4 also the Mass Effect trilogy, not to mention Sims and Sim City. I proudly own Fifa 12 and Fifa 14 and enjoy playing FUT every single day. Owning both dragon age games and absolutely love them. If they add open world exploring ala skyrim in the upcoming one, that would be fucking awesome and no prejudice would stop me from enjoying the game. Everytime I spent money on EA games title, they've delivered in one way or another. I see no reason to 'hate' them. 

Good luck to you my friend but you are missing out on great games.

BF3+4 dont even have the basics of any shooter right, the hit detection. the amount of killing each other and "around the corner" kills is just insane and shows how bad there code is.

BF3 was even worse, BF4 is the better game. Ofc this ignores the premium and DLC shit.

Its EA, wanne bet those 5 or 30 € just allow you to play a demo version of all the new games ? You know they currently sell demos for new games. Pathetic company

Very interesting. Jokes on you, Battlefield series is a competitive game. That means its good enough. And I've never bought a premium package, screw that. Few days of specializing on 1 "class" unlocks you all there is to this class. I earned the best sniper rifles in game for 2 days. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

EA were the first predatory and acquisitive "suits" in what was then (early 80s) an indy-only industry. They developed very little themselves and just specialized in acquiring independent studios... after that the studios would keep producing the same product or new products but now under the EA banner and usually a lesser quality product.

Most players who have been around for a while dislike them because they typify the corporations who make games for the wrong reasons just to make a quick buck. That they occasionally release a lovingly hand-crafted game is more fluke than the norm and usually only happens if the game was mostly developed by an indy dev studio before being assimilated by them.

Some other day I'll tell you how I really feel about them :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

After the launch of PS4 and XBO nintendo's profits plummeted. They USED to be good. Now they just live off of their name. Like so many other brands including but not limited to Apple Inc.

Actually after the new mario came out Wii Us been selling a lot more.  The new Smash Bros thats about to come is going to boost it even more.  They also had the most impressive E3 show this year.  A lot of people are excited over Xenoblade 2 and have you see the new Zelda?  They had a bad start in the new gen but they are turning that around slowly, just like how Sony did with PS3.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Ty for the good laugh OP.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• MastaccolliMastaccolli Member UncommonPosts: 100

When Battlefield 3 came out they stopped supporting Battlefield Bad Company 2.  Most, if not all, log-ins were corrupted.  I spent hours on the phone with their so called customer care until I finally got someone that flat out told me they stopped supporting it because Battlefield 3 came out. 

That's just bad business. 

Your praise for Battlefield 3 an 4 just shows how poor your taste in shooters really is.  Battlefield 3 is/was a buggy mess full of hacks that they did nothing to stop.  Just Google or Bing battlefield hacks and look at the 100000000000 of places you can buy them.  Instead of fixing that problem, as well as all of the other problems with Battlefield 3 they essentially abandoned it to create Battlefield 4.

Battlefield 4 is a collection of piss poor maps built on the exact same crap they built BF3 on.  Here is the kicker, the same hack programs you can use on BF3 work on BF4. 

Console kiddies will continue to buy this crap because they think its good.  More power to you.  The rest of the sane world will stop purchasing the crap they put out, in whatever new package they wrap it in, and look elsewhere.

Dragon Age was a good game, the thing they put out after it was awful.  Maybe they will get it correct with the third installment but I'm not holding my breath.

Mass Effect was an amazing game, ME2 was on par as far as a sequel goes but there is no way in hell you can defend what they did to ME3.  That ending, are you kidding me?  Thankfully I didn't waste a penny on that steaming pile.

I don't know, maybe when you realize they are selling you crap and play something worthwhile you will see why so many people disagree with you.  Stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I like their FIFA and NHL series on console, but they pretty much have no competition anymore so I can't really compare them to anybody.

Other then that, I really can't find anything I like about EA. TOR and Warhammer were both big let downs. They felt rushed, buggy, and stale.  Less of a labor of love and more a spiritless checklist.

Warhammer definitely had some interesting ideas and gameplay...but the execution of those ideas was so terrible at times. It also was discouraging to hear (and in some cases see) gutted content while also being presented with half-assed and rushed content.

I know EA is just the publisher, but it seems like they have a tendency to turn things sour.

Originally posted by Mastaccolli

When Battlefield 3 came out they stopped supporting Battlefield Bad Company 2.  Most, if not all, log-ins were corrupted.  I spent hours on the phone with their so called customer care until I finally got someone that flat out told me they stopped supporting it because Battlefield 3 came out. 

That's just bad business. 

Certainly not the first company to do that. I see this website loves Square Enix. Have you been able to play Tomb Raider multiplayer in the past couple of months? Because I've been trying and its just NOT happening. Even though the game has been on sale for 5$ on Steam since forever. 

Your praise for Battlefield 3 an 4 just shows how poor your taste in shooters really is.  Battlefield 3 is/was a buggy mess full of hacks that they did nothing to stop.  Just Google or Bing battlefield hacks and look at the 100000000000 of places you can buy them.  Instead of fixing that problem, as well as all of the other problems with Battlefield 3 they essentially abandoned it to create Battlefield 4.

Call of Duty and Battlefield are top of the line shooters currently. Nothing you say can change that. It's not my opinion, its just how it is. Do we blame games for hackers now? Battlefield  4 has a decent anti-cheat system that does work. People get banned, and getting back into the game will cost you ~40 euro. I wouldn't use hack on Battlefield

Battlefield 4 is a collection of piss poor maps built on the exact same crap they built BF3 on.  Here is the kicker, the same hack programs you can use on BF3 work on BF4. 

Frostbite is one of the best gaming engines right now. Its on par with Unreal Engine and CryEngine. Not sure if you are sad because your PC can't run it or what but, I love frostbite. 

Console kiddies will continue to buy this crap because they think its good.  More power to you.  The rest of the sane world will stop purchasing the crap they put out, in whatever new package they wrap it in, and look elsewhere.

Not every console owner is a kid mind you.  

Dragon Age was a good game, the thing they put out after it was awful.  Maybe they will get it correct with the third installment but I'm not holding my breath.

Dragon Age 2 wasn't as good as the first but it is not a fail game. Its far from that. 

Mass Effect was an amazing game, ME2 was on par as far as a sequel goes but there is no way in hell you can defend what they did to ME3.  That ending, are you kidding me?  Thankfully I didn't waste a penny on that steaming pile.

Here's some food for the brain for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFq531vkNOY 

He basically says it how it is. *troll alert* - He gave higher score on ME3 than he did on TESO *troll end* 

I don't know, maybe when you realize they are selling you crap and play something worthwhile you will see why so many people disagree with you.  Stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

Do tell me what you consider worthwhile. I can't wait.

Originally posted by TheHavok

I like their FIFA and NHL series on console, but they pretty much have no competition anymore so I can't really compare them to anybody.

Other then that, I really can't find anything I like about EA. TOR and Warhammer were both big let downs. They felt rushed, buggy, and stale.  Less of a labor of love and more a spiritless checklist.

SWTOR has gotten better. Currently subscribed to it and WildStar, I find myself playing TOR a lot more. But yeah I've never played warhammer. Can't comment on that. 

Warhammer definitely had some interesting ideas and gameplay...but the execution of those ideas was so terrible at times. It also was discouraging to hear (and in some cases see) gutted content while also being presented with half-assed and rushed content.

I know EA is just the publisher, but it seems like they have a tendency to turn things sour.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by vorpal28

I personally vote with my feet and no longer buy any games they sell, even if they are good, been burnt to much in the past now to ever go back.

That is illogical.

If a game is fun to me, why would i care who publishes it. I have no problem playing Dead Space 1 & 2, which are fun games to me.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

http://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-wii-u-q1-earnings-stuck-in-the-mud-2014-7

That article just reinforced what I said in my last post, they started out bad because of lack of games on Wii U but are getting right back up thanks to the announced games on E3 and recently released games like Mario World and Mario Kart.  And you can bet when Smash Bros, Zelda and Xenoblade 2 comes out the Wii U sales is gonna go up even more.

I find it funny how im called a Nintendo fanboy in this thread and on other threads im called a Sony fanboy for talking about Sony.

If im what a fanboy is, than you must be some kind of EA Zealot which is like the next evolution of fanboyism.

In the end my own level of favor for a company is based on my likeness for their games alone, not their business practices.  From EA I like Mass Effect, Mirrors Edge, Dragon Age and Dead Space but there are plenty of other companies that has much better games with more originality and Nintendo is just one of those companies, I think Konami, Square Enix, Capcom, Ubisoft, Activision/Blizzard, id Software, Epic Games, Bungie, bethesda, Valve, Sony, CD Projeckt Red are all greater than EA.

Also those companies survived on their own developed games, they dont keep buying out developer companies that make the games for them.  Even the two founders of bioware left because they were so ashamed of what became of bioware after EA aquired them.   The only games EA actually makes are the sports game they milk out every year, they dont have any real talent to make original IPs so they depend on buying out other developers.  If you think thats something to be proud of as a gamer than you and EA deserve each other.  Because even EA fanboys reflects EA its self, they are more concerned with money and business practices rather than the art of games.

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

http://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-wii-u-q1-earnings-stuck-in-the-mud-2014-7

That article just reinforced what I said in my last post, they started out bad because of lack of games on Wii U but are getting right back up thanks to the announced games on E3 and recently released games like Mario World and Mario Kart.  And you can bet when Smash Bros, Zelda and Xenoblade 2 comes out the Wii U sales is gonna go up even more.

Speculations and opinions, not facts. I'm pretty sure that neither of these will sell more than Titanfall anyway. 

I find it funny how im called a Nintendo fanboy in this thread and on other threads im called a Sony fanboy for talking about Sony.

If you keep stating opinions rather than facts, that's what you're going to be called! 

If im what a fanboy is, than you must be some kind of EA Zealot which is like the next evolution of fanboyism.

In the end my own level of favor for a company is based on my likeness for their games alone, not their business practices.  From EA I like Mass Effect, Mirrors Edge, Dragon Age and Dead Space but there are plenty of other companies that has much better games with more originality and Nintendo is just one of those companies, I think Konami, Square Enix, Capcom, Ubisoft, Activision/Blizzard, id Software, Epic Games, Bungie, bethesda, Valve, Sony, CD Projeckt Red are all greater than EA.

I disagree. But then we go to the opinion side and this is just not fun because I can't change your opinion, however I can make you see the facts and MAYBE see with a clear eye.

Also those companies survived on their own developed games, they dont keep buying out developer companies that make the games for them.  Even the two founders of bioware left because they were so ashamed of what became of bioware after EA aquired them.   The only games EA actually makes are the sports game they milk out every year, they dont have any real talent to make original IPs so they depend on buying out other developers.  If you think thats something to be proud of as a gamer than you and EA deserve each other.  Because even EA fanboys reflects EA its self, they are more concerned with money and business practices rather than the art of games.

I agree, creativity and innovations are nice virtues to have. But why the hell are you talking as if those companies do not want to be bought? They all sold their ass. They all knew what they were bargaining for. None of the original teams were fired unless they flopped. Why is nobody LOLing at DiCE or Cryterion Games? Because the dev teams pulled it off. Im 90% sure all those companies that were sold and bought weren't, you wouldn't have even seen their games see the light of day. 

People sell their ass when they are struggling, not when they are earning. Just my 2 cents...

Also, the doctors left (Bioware's founders) BECAUSE of the community backlash at the ending of Mass Effect 3. NOT BECAUSE OF EA Games. EA had NO role in the ending of Mass Effect 3. If anything they were forced by EA to make the Extended Cut DLC. See that's people failing, not EA failing them on purpose. 

What should EA do to make you see how much effort they throw in their games. Send you a hooker to blow you off while you play their games? Some of you speak this way. Do you think those surreal 3D game engines come cheap or by the flip of a finger? Or the textures or the models and animations for them? As a game dev myself, the amount of work these guys put in their engines is INSANE. And then some pretentions keyboard warrior comes here and says that they make no effort in their games. This is super ignorant, disrespectful and pisses me off.

If you are going to pull a "Facebook" on one of my paragraph, do check Mark Zuckerberg's net worth each year before making yourself stupid. 

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    This is just a way for EA to pad their profits without doing much of anything. No different than phone / internet / cable companies adding fake fees to pad profits. EA wants people to pay a sub fee to access what is basically glorified demos. A better deal would be $15 a month to access all of EA made and published games with a limit of 2 downloaded at a single time.
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    This is just a way for EA to pad their profits without doing much of anything. No different than phone / internet / cable companies adding fake fees to pad profits. EA wants people to pay a sub fee to access what is basically glorified demos. A better deal would be $15 a month to access all of EA made and published games with a limit of 2 downloaded at a single time.

I don't know how a full access to new titles speaks glorified demo to you really. Don't be silly. 

Also EA games is one of the very very few companies who offer actual demos these days. No I'm not talking about "closed" betas which require you to buy a game to get into beta or a 150$ alphas of an year old games. Idk compared to other game companies EA games start to seem better and better IMO 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor
    Originally posted by Vonatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ

EA will never be the greatest.

I haven't laughed so hard in ages! Sad thing is, it was all true! lol

Personally I blame the console kids, stop buying crap and sending it over to PC. ;)

that has nothing to do with consoles. But yes, EA is garbage.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Vonatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ

EA will never be the greatest.

Haha, I hadn't seen this yet. So true. I haven't bothered with an EA game since...I think ME3. That was finally the one that made me swear off one of the worst companies I've ever encountered.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

So Sony is openly fucking up every single playstation owner and nobody bats an eye

EA Games creates a far better service that doesn't involve game streaming, its actual game on your hard drive and its far cheaper - everybody loses their mind and asks where's the catch

What the hell people? 

Sources:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/31/5955235/playstation-now-sony-subscription