Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Destiny: End of Beta Impressions

Comments

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Originally posted by Zefire

Im not going to support this new console world they are trying to create.

They either bring it to pc or go to @uck Off

That sounds really stupid when you consider Consoles are just gaming computers with different operating systems. I play MMORPGs but I dont limit myself to a keyboard, plug in a controller and you have got a console. By thinking your being better than others by not playing on Consoles your just limiting your gaming experience to what is on PC, I love Madden, Halo, and after this past weekend Destiny, so thank god for consoles and your loss =)

Mystery Bounty

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

I believe that shooters belong on one platform, PC.

With that said, I did partake in the PS4 beta and found it... not bad.  I  did one of the "raids' without realizing it, and after an hour of doing said mission and still going, I figured out what I got myself into.  Again, not too bad, albeit some fights are boring as hell... only cause your weapons do .0001% damage to a boss that has 1 trillion HP.

Weapons are ok...need many many many more choice of weapon types.  And the 3 archtypes are ok too, but they need more.

Story missions are actually pretty good.  I do like the idea of the Ghost.  Interactions feel... immersive to a point.

Items are...well pointless thus far, we will see when it is released.

PvP is....fast.  I seemed to constantly get insta gibbed, while I try to do the same thing, with the same weapon type...I couldn't repeat what they did constantly.  I got two of the 3 classes up to level 8 (max level for beta).

I did not notice any kind of autoaim, or track aim like some single player games like Uncharted.

Overall I enjoyed the beta... but not worth a subscription... they will need a WHOLE lot more to entice me to pay extra for it every month.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by WolfClaws

Overall I enjoyed the beta... but not worth a subscription... they will need a WHOLE lot more to entice me to pay extra for it every month.

What subscription are you referring to? This game is B2P.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i am not going to support Blizz and other mmo companies if they keep their games for pc only, expand them to other platform or @uck off....

how does that sound? ridiculous, right? platform exclusive still exists in this life. Dont like it? move on.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by DeniZg

He's referring to the fact that you need XBL Gold or PS+ to play online. Which if you don't have it already essentially means you have to subscribe to play it.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Dreamo84

He's referring to the fact that you need XBL Gold or PS+ to play online. Which if you don't have it already essentially means you have to subscribe to play it.

True, but that subscription is not Destiny specific.

Also, I can't figure out why someone wouldn't pay XBL or PS+ yearly subscription which cost about the same as one single game and nets you dozens of free games per year (and multiplayer experience).

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Dreamo84

you only need PS+ to do PvP and Strikes(typical mmo dungeons). You can still play coop without PS+, just not those two i mentioned.

As for the PS+ subscription itself. Mmo players here are comparing that subscription to an mmo subscription. Its not the same thing. For example, in WoW you pay a sub only for WoW. In Playstation, PS+ covers every single online game available. So buying the PS+ sub is not about whether Destiny is worth it or not... you will use it to play many games online plus all the other benefits and free games and discounts. That makes it worth it.

One does not buy a platform to play a single game.

EDIT: DeniZg beat me to it :p

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,500
    I'll wait for the PC version. And if they decide not to put one out, no worries. I can pass. This doesn't look like anything awesome or epic -- just looks like something to pass the time.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by MysteryB

That sounds really stupid when you consider Consoles are just gaming computers with different operating systems. I play MMORPGs but I dont limit myself to a keyboard, plug in a controller and you have got a console. By thinking your being better than others by not playing on Consoles your just limiting your gaming experience to what is on PC, I love Madden, Halo, and after this past weekend Destiny, so thank god for consoles and your loss =)

I find the current new consoles dated already, take almost any newer computer, through in a decent graphics card and a SSD and bam you have a computer that blows the doors off any of the new consoles.  And I can upgrade it whenever I want while a console player is just stuck with that out dated hardware.  

As to Destiny, pretty much a FPS that someone threw a sheet over with MMO labled on it.

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Enjoy your out dated console, take almost any newer computer, through in a decent graphics card and a SSD and bam you have a computer that blows the doors off any of the new consoles.  And I can upgrade it whenever I want while a console player is just stuck with that out dated hardware.  

As to Destiny, pretty much a FPS that someone threw a sheet over with MMO labled on it.

Compare it to any $400 computer and it actually has a lot of value.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    Originally posted by Tyggs
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Enjoy your out dated console, take almost any newer computer, through in a decent graphics card and a SSD and bam you have a computer that blows the doors off any of the new consoles.  And I can upgrade it whenever I want while a console player is just stuck with that out dated hardware.  

Compare it to any $400 computer and it actually has a lot of value.

Not really and here is why ....

PC games = FREE or massively reduced in price (yes there are cash shops and some games you still pay full price for, however cash shops are a choice you make)

Console games = $60/game 

So.... $400 is upfront yes, but might as well call it $460 so you can have a game to play, but then if you want online add $50

and you're up to $510 so you can play one game online.

two games - $520 add $50 if you want to play online $570

three games - $580 add $50 if you want to play online $630

four games - $640 add $50 if you want to play online $690

and so on..... 

With PC - Steam has a mega sale - you can get 10 or more games for $50

10 console games and a console = $1000

$1000 - 10 pc games = $950 , for $950 you can build an

8bg, i7 4790k, msi z97, 750watt gold, gtx660 pc that blows new consoles out of the water. Processor power overload with this setup

or

You can drop the i7 and pick up an i5 and swap the gtx 660 for a gtx 770 or r9280x and totally dominate new consoles from a  graphical standpoint

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Again, I am primarily a PC gamer... but Gamefly does negate a LOT of the buying of games for a modest subscription...
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

It is very simple for me:

If the game isn't a pc game it may as well not even exist.

You stay sassy!

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

My console days started with the Atari 2600 / Commodore 64 and died with the Sega Genesis / Sony Playstation 1.

I do have the recent consoles hoping to get bit by the bug, however I still prefer my PC / keyboard - mouse over a game controller.

Destiny to me felt like another game we have played several times before on a PC with a different name on the console. The game is just so hyped because it made for consoles only for now and their introduction to a mmo style type of game.

Consoles are made for one type of player in mind - PEW PEW image

I haven't picked up FFXIV for my consoles yet, but plan on trying it also when ESO arrives on the Xbox One or PS4, then give my fair shakedown since I have played both games on the PC.

Destiny looks promising, but will believe it when I see it 6 months down the road and where it stands with the rest of the games on the console..

• CypruskaCypruska Member UncommonPosts: 45

+1

You go, girl! Either they bring it on PC or fuck them, indeed!

• valeonvaleon Member Posts: 2

+1

Exactly. They'll learn soon enough. 

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Rob, nothing in what you covered made me want to even try it. But then again nothing in what I had seen or heard about it before I read your article made me want to play it, or even try it.

Im sure it will find its fan base. And Im sure it will make...someone...some money, so good for them.

For me I'll stick to PlanetSide 2 for my FPS fix. Its free to play and not subscription gated. Well a little, but only cause it takes longer if you play purely F2P.

Like most things console, I find it pass-on worthy.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    A lot of crying about it not being on pc. With stuff like this "Im not going to support this new console world they are trying to create.They either bring it to pc or go to @uck Off". So console gamers have a game PC players don't. So what? Grow the hell up people. Sheesh!

And yet even after temper tantrums like that, the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race complains that console gamers are unintelligent and act immature, right?

Dear Pot,

We need to have a talk about your hue.

Signed, Kettle.

Grow up, indeed.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

I been playing MMO's since they started, I also love consoles. Funny how the new consoles are actually computers now, so I agree, I love how people who do not have the new consoles try and bash something they know nothing about and sound jealous they do not have one.

I personally love Destiny and played it for about 5 days now.. Some of those claiming its easy, well of course the low levels are suppose to be like any game...  The game gets harder... I also got good gear, so try looking and exploring for once to find good gear I DID and found great gear...  The game has exploring and found like any game, people do not do it.

Thanks more gear for me!!!

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by Crusades

Not really and here is why ....

PC games = FREE or massively reduced in price (yes there are cash shops and some games you still pay full price for, however cash shops are a choice you make)

Console games = $60/game 

Huh, I didn't realize that all those F2P games and indie (reduced cost) games in the PS store were figments of my imagination.

Man, look at all these brand new AAA PC games that totally aren't $60.

So.... $400 is upfront yes, but might as well call it $460 so you can have a game to play, but then if you want online add $50

and you're up to $510 so you can play one game online.

two games - $520 add $50 if you want to play online $570

three games - $580 add $50 if you want to play online $630

four games - $640 add $50 if you want to play online $690

and so on..... 

Or, you could just do what you can do on PC and play F2P games, or wait for B2P games to go on sale.

With PC - Steam has a mega sale - you can get 10 or more games for $50

PlayStation is about to have their big summer sale, and GameStop has had theirs going for a while now. Shockingly enough you can get great deals on games during these too.

10 console games and a console = $1000

If you just have to buy 10 brand new games at the time of the console purchase... then yes.

$1000 - 10 pc games = $950 ,

And, your talking about the exact same 10 games that were bought for the console here too, right? Because, if so, nope... total bullshit. Your $950 PC comes out to $1550 with 10 brand new games.

for $950 you can build an

8bg, i7 4790k, msi z97, 750watt gold, gtx660 pc that blows new consoles out of the water. Processor power overload with this setup

or

You can drop the i7 and pick up an i5 and swap the gtx 660 for a gtx 770 or r9280x and totally dominate new consoles from a  graphical standpoint

And the rest of all this is pointless. Of course a higher powered, and higher priced, PC will dominate a console. Don't know what that has to do with your point about PC gaming being cheaper that console gaming.

They cost pretty much the same. If your only willing to put the same amount of money into PC gaming as you would console gaming, then your going to get about the same experience, at first anyways. But, if your willing to spend more, then you get get a better experience, at least in the graphics department.

Lol console games have games for free and sales to, so what are you talking about, were are you getting these numbers?? I can buy games for 5 bucks on console as well like steam, so I'm confused by these comments , another user who knows anothing about a console. Stop hating because you can't afford one..

Consoles are way cheaper than a PC, I have a PC that costs me over 3k.. I also have every console made... I also have hundreds of games, and I bet a spent less with my consoles.. So again insert foot into mouth and do proper research next time please.  Thanks.

ROFL, console costs less and looks way better than any  AVG PC... Try playing one and see for your self...    This is why they are called the next Gen for a reason, PC needs to get there butt in gear..

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

Wow so many haters, Just because a game is not announced on PC right away does not mean it will not be added sooner or later. There is more work then one thinks when moving a game from PC to console or vice versa. What you need to understand is the taste we got is beta, from what i read on the main page it was lacking a lot of the features that the main game will have. So wait to see how it is on launch and if your one of those "no pc= fail" mind set people, you really need to get a life. Many games have been console only and done well, only to be added to PC later. So if you want it for pc i suggest rethinking your stance. if it does bad they will just close it.

Now before i get flamed i play on PC and 360, like them both. PC tends to have more hackers and bots where console does not.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by crasset15

Wait didn't this game cost 500 mil to develop? (or did someone pull that number out of their ass?)

Do they intend to make that big of an investment back by releasing it on consoles only? I got a feeling it isn't going to happen.

Most of these triple A titles take the same approach. They are built very casual friendly to lure as many people in as possible, but the dedicated crowd who plans to play it for years will starve of content and depth very early on. I'd much rather wait for the repopulation instead of wasting 60$ on another hipster MMO.

It didn´t cost 500 mil to develop. They plan to spend 500 mil on advertisement, distribution and merchandise.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

I've played to lvl4 because I didn't want to spoil the experience when it goes live.

Game is cool. Storytelling is immersive and combat is tight. There will be many PvP maps and modes, so Bungie has this part covered pretty well.

My main concern is the lack of PvE content. I'm not sure Destiny will have enough zones and planets at start, unless they are hiding a lot of content for launch and DLCs.

There was a Forbes article sating that the Beta consisted of about 10% of the games content at launch. The length of the game is a concern that has been vocalized and Bungie has responded by saying they will be doing episodic content as DLC to give players plenty to do in the PVE portion of the game which I hope pans out because I have never been a fan of their PvP. I have played countless FPS's and cannot stand the feel of a Bungie game in that regard. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/07/28/bungies-destiny-might-be-smaller-than-everyone-thinks/?partner=yahootix

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• SemielSemiel Member UncommonPosts: 94

Don't even know why an extended Borderlands game is being listed on mmorpg.

Also PC gaming is *way* cheaper, one reason being Humblebundle. My Steam library is close to 300 games. I have already more games than I will ever be able to play in my lifetime.

Also, if you game on consoles only, you still own a PC, right?

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Take this with a dumptruck of salt:

Destiny to release on PC March of 2015.

Brought to you by the internet, which is NEVER wrong....ever....

Regarding the game itself, a LOT of people I have spoken with said its a good game, but feels like CoD and Borderlands rolled into one.

CoD always felt shallow to me and Borderlands felt like an MMORPG that only I was playing, it was cool but just got bored fast. Can only collect so many weapons and read so many stats before I go numb.

Had a blast on Battlefield 3 for about a month. Can only do FPS in small doses. really, how many times can you run the same maps over and over and over and over. Wanted to do BF4 but it had so many problems that I just forgot about it. The division looks promising. Hopefully it will have meaningful gameplay...not the same maps endlessly, but territory changing hands and actual RvR stuff.

Destiny? Not sure what to think. I enjoyed Halo for the story and gameplay, but couldn't get into Halo 2 and we stopped playing it afterwords. I blame the Arbiter lol

I have to admit, the story of destiny is interesting. The invasion and that giant sphere just floating over the last human city...somehow feels like the story from 'Oblivion' with a twist coming.

Is it work a new console for those who do not already have one...pfft, not if its coming to my PC with the video card that costs more than the PS4 lol Even so, you really think it will look much better on my monster PC with three monitors..i doubt it. Why? Because it wasn't made for my PC, it was made for consoles.

Do not misunderstand me, I like consoles. I just haven't seen anything on the 'next-gen' that makes me want one. All the games of interest are coming to PC and my PC was build for CG work, so it has serious teeth. Why would I not take advantage of that? As a gamer in general, i am very disappointed in what this current generation of consoles. So far, the only one i have bought was the Wii-U, and that was for my very young kids. even then, Mario Kart 8 is a crap-load of fun.

Destiny? If there is ever a reason to buy a console, I will try the game. If it comes out for PC, i might still get it. But i don't think its enough to make me buy a console.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature