Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I haven't played a MMO in years, is this game for me?

KissThaRingKissThaRing Member UncommonPosts: 78

So it's been awhile since I touched an MMO, I got sick and tired of dropping 60 bucks, then shelling out 15 bucks a month, only to be disappointed 3 months in. TOR was the last MMO I played at launch and I put my foot down then to never pay for another MMO, and so far I have done that. But as any gamer would tell you, that ol' MMO urge comes and goes and right now I been itching to try another one. ESO and Wildstar seem like big hits right now but like I said, never again. Not paying sub fees, so those games I'm passing on.

Which brings me to Rift. The steam user reviews seem pretty glowing. I have no problem with it being a WoW-clone, infact I kind of welcome it since its something I will be familiar with. I'm just looking for a casual expierence, I don't min-max anymore like I used to, I'm not looking to be popular, I don't need to be uber. I don't mind running everywhere and doing quest, and just letting the game come to me. End game is not my goal so end game content is not important to me.

My main concern is longevity, is this game worth investing time in? Do enough people play it to make it feel "alive" or will I be running solo 99% of the game and occasionally seeing a person? Will this game last? Or is this one of those "on its dying legs" and will probably close within the year? I don't wanna drop 200 hours into game only to find it it was gonna close anyways, I know its impossible to predict those things with MMO's, but maybe someone whos played this game for awhile can tell me what the trends are. Anyways, I know this post is kind of all over the place, I'm just looking for some general feedback, and for someone to sell me on it :P

I enjoy undercutting people in the market place - it's the only PvP a crafter gets.

Comments

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

It's a solo game.

But since there's no investment, there's no loss for giving it a go... Archeage will be going live soon it's sub-free as well... another game to mess around in.  Firefall goes live on the 29th... another F2P.  Lots of games to dink around in at no cost.

As for long term gaming, that's pretty much over.  Everyone hops from game to game so it's more of a what do I feel like playing thing now.  

And SWTOR isn't going anywhere... anymore than TERA, or just about all the others.  MMOs rarely actually shut down... they hang around for years on life support, but they rarely shut down.

• Emm_Emm_OhhEmm_Emm_Ohh Member UncommonPosts: 80
    It isn't on it's dying leg and it will continue to pick up steam the closer it gets to the next expansion coming out. You should check it out, with it being f2p you have nothing to lose but a few hours to see if it is a good fit or not.

ArcheAge, ESO, Rift & other MMORPG Gameplays https://www.youtube.com/user/MMONerdStomper

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by KissThaRing

So it's been awhile since I touched an MMO, I got sick and tired of dropping 60 bucks, then shelling out 15 bucks a month, only to be disappointed 3 months in. TOR was the last MMO I played at launch and I put my foot down then to never pay for another MMO, and so far I have done that. But as any gamer would tell you, that ol' MMO urge comes and goes and right now I been itching to try another one. ESO and Wildstar seem like big hits right now but like I said, never again. Not paying sub fees, so those games I'm passing on.

Which brings me to Rift. The steam user reviews seem pretty glowing. I have no problem with it being a WoW-clone, infact I kind of welcome it since its something I will be familiar with. I'm just looking for a casual expierence, I don't min-max anymore like I used to, I'm not looking to be popular, I don't need to be uber. I don't mind running everywhere and doing quest, and just letting the game come to me. End game is not my goal so end game content is not important to me.

My main concern is longevity, is this game worth investing time in? Do enough people play it to make it feel "alive" or will I be running solo 99% of the game and occasionally seeing a person? Will this game last? Or is this one of those "on its dying legs" and will probably close within the year? I don't wanna drop 200 hours into game only to find it it was gonna close anyways, I know its impossible to predict those things with MMO's, but maybe someone whos played this game for awhile can tell me what the trends are. Anyways, I know this post is kind of all over the place, I'm just looking for some general feedback, and for someone to sell me on it :P

Rift is a good game, if a bit bland. If you can find some good people to play with, it's a good game. For free MMOs, I wouldn't recommend it over say EQ2. While I disagree with your view on not paying, I'm not going to change that. I can say that you'll find a much better experience in both ESO and Wildstar. Wildstar has the traditional structure, with a lot more personality than Rift. It's worth the money, in my opinion. ESO is a good game if you don't expect it to be co-op Skyrim, which I couldn't forgive. 

Rift isn't dying, as far as I can tell last I logged in. Beware, the higher level stretch is painfully slow though. My advice is try some of the more mature MMOs like TERA, Aion, EQ2, or even the Secret World. There's always GW2, but that game is extremely casual and may come across as aimless and unrewarding compared to some of the others I've mentioned. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Foobarx

It's a solo game.

But since there's no investment, there's no loss for giving it a go... Archeage will be going live soon it's sub-free as well... another game to mess around in.  Firefall goes live on the 29th... another F2P.  Lots of games to dink around in at no cost.

As for long term gaming, that's pretty much over.  Everyone hops from game to game so it's more of a what do I feel like playing thing now.  

And SWTOR isn't going anywhere... anymore than TERA, or just about all the others.  MMOs rarely actually shut down... they hang around for years on life support, but they rarely shut down.

I enjoyed Rift, and like you say you can get through most of it solo. To me it had so many choices when building your hotbar it got very confusing. 

As far as SWToR, I thought that game had a coronary and died, but it certainly isn't on life support anymore.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Its hard to guess the longevity of rift, how dense the game world will be down the road. That's a tough question to answer for any mmo, even wow. But I will say that rift is a well made mmo that lets you play in a variety of ways and has a talented dev team and a respectable size of dedicated fans.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

Rift to me is a lot like WoW, it has a lot to do, and IMO, even more to do during the leveling process.

It also has World Events/Zone events which are a lot of fun and break up the leveling process. Instant Adventure is a quick and somewhat social way to grind out levels.

The lore is fantastic although the vanilla game doesn't do a great job at telling the story.

The Dungeons are easily accessible, but offer a stiff challenge at max level, as do the Raids.

There is basic PvP in Rift, nothing terrible like Secret World, but nothing engaging either.

The class system is among the best in the genre, seriously it is what sets Rift apart from any other MMO. You are never stuck with any Role or Build. You can switch these almost on the fly and can have up to Six different "classes" per Character.

Combat is Tab Target with heavy emphasis on building Macros. Some will like this, others will not. I personally enjoy it a great deal and have come to avoid games with Action Combat, although I did enjoy TERA's combat. Would love to see a game with that style, but perhaps a bit more flexible in roles and builds than TERA was. Rift's class system creates many different Macros, builds, setups than any other game I can think of, FFXIV is similar if you need a reference; but is more basic IMO. Archeage i believe is similar and has many build options as well , but I haven't played it yet.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • xenoracexenorace Member UncommonPosts: 205

Rift is about to drop a huge expansion pack which looks very very cool from the early sneak peek I saw the other day. (An underwater zone that doesn't look like garbage). That said, the population in Rift will be fine and most likely get a boost.

To be honest, there should be no reason to ask if it's worth a persons time, because that is a subjective question. Of course those who are actively playing and enjoy will say yes. Those who tried it and wasn't impressed or had fun will say no. This is truly a 100% free MMO. The only things that are left out are the 4 souls from Storm Legion and the 4 new souls from Nightmare Tide. These are to be excused as the game is perfectly playable without them and most of the other free MMOs require you to pay for the "newer" classes as well such as EQ2.

Download it, play it and see if you like it. Also Arche Age will be out soon too. Free to play and on the surface is a traditional themepark MMO, but the meat and potatoes is an open world and "alternative" play style for players wanting exploration, crafting, farming and open water trades/pirating. (just to name a few).

S.C.I.F.I
    <Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>

• IggunsIgguns Member UncommonPosts: 71

I played Rift 2 different times.  Enjoyed both of my periods of spending time in the game.  That was a few years ago.  I have no idea what it's like now.  But I'd say it might be worth your time downloading the client and trying it out for yourself and determine if it's a game you want to spend time in.