Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mini Review of Archage

Comments

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

I can also name plenty I dislike about many games.  I cannot name 1 thing I liked about Archeage...like I said, downloading was okay, I guess...

Again, Im not a fan of ESO.  I understand that that's all you got on your minds, but please give it up.

Here is a list of the games I enjoyed more than others so you can give it up:

Anarchy Online

TSW

Age of Conan

Ryzom

Mortal Online

WoW vanilla

DC Universe

FFXIV

(Does RUST Count?)

Those are my favorite MMO's I have played....notice ESO is not there...can we move on now?

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Randayn

I can also name plenty I dislike about many games.  I cannot name 1 thing I liked about Archeage...like I said, downloading was okay, I guess...

Again, Im not a fan of ESO.  I understand that that's all you got on your minds, but please give it up.

My post had nothing to do with you being or not being a fan of ESO.  ESO was an example and I used it because ESO is a game I recently played.   Just because someone mentions ESO doesn't mean we are talking about you.  A lot of us have played ESO.

My overall point was just that if you cannot find anything good about an MMORPG it is you who is at fault.  This shows a lack of perspective on any game reviewer's part and highlights how you shouldn't be reviewing games.  I would say you should reread my advice and use it in the future but you seem to have missed almost every point I have made or just failed to address it.

Why you would want to immediately reinforce that point in the very next post you made is beyond me.

• TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205

Quote from you on WILDSTAR forums
    "I played CB and agree with you....I couldnt get past level 15....it was so boring, cliche and railed."

Do you just copy and paste reviews? You say the same thing everywhere

In hopes that a video might help with what i'm saying.  here is a fellow that acknowledges not everyone values the same thing in a game and highlights how different players may enjoy 3 different games. 

This is what I mean by perspective.  He sees that not every player is the same and how different values may lead different players to different conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spa4fVSL-Tg

I don't agree with every point he makes, but I appreciate the fact that he tries to see a bigger picture.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

I wonder if people are being hard on the OP more for how he phrased his "mini-review" over the bullet points.

Let's ignore scores because those can sometimes be silly.

"Mob Placement" - If you look at where the mobs are you might see his point.

You get a quest and across the road or down a small hill will be the mobs you are looking for. Conveniently placed in a small area. I do feel lineage 2 "did it better, so I can see the point.

In one case there is a quest where you kill some cultists. Instead of a "special" area with altars and suitable cultist "stuff" they are all in circles strewn over a few small hills. Pretty close to each other. So I can see the point.

"Game World" - The game has some cool places, cities, etc. However, I haven't found too many "aw man that's awesome". When I look at game worlds I compare to game worlds that I felt were exemplary. For me that's Morrowind and Skyrim.

I don't quite get the same attention to detail. Keep in mind Elder Scrolls Online, in my opinion, also has some issues with this. Having said that, I've only gotten to the early 30's so haven't seen every place one can see.

"character and creation" - Not every game has a height adjuster though it is something that we see more and more. The face customization is pretty robust if one chooses to use it. I found the movement and combat animations to be "fine". Leaning back to cast a fireball or on a final melee attack "leaping" slightly into the air to get some momentum, all this felt decent.

When I compare ArcheAge to an "asian grinder" I usually think of Perfect World. Even Lineage 2 though I felt that game was superior than most "junky" asian grinders.

"Combat Movement" - I've already commented on this one as one can move out of the way of attacks. The OP was mistaken here.

My thought is that the quests, the whole "leveling" part seems convenient in order to get players to a "place" where they can play the real game. That is the conquest, the trading, the piracy, etc.

There are worse Asian grinders out there. The new Archlord comes to mind. Or Shaiya.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by Talketzanto

"I played CB and agree with you....I couldnt get past level 15....it was so boring, cliche and railed."

In his defense, he isn't wrong...

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Tyvolus4
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Ezze902
    Originally posted by Mackaveli44
    I love ppl that make reviews based off playing games in the early lvls/stages of it...  Sorry but no one can make a sound legitimate "review" of a game, any game by playing so little of it(3 hrs is jack shit for an mmo... Sorry to say).  Especially the very beginning of a game...  That's like walking into a movie, watching 2 minutes of it and saying "oh this movie is shit". Not very logical. 

When you've played as many mmos as most of us have, especially the OP (You can tell in his writing)... you can judge a mmo on a trailer.   Like you said... watching a 2 minute trailer of a movie, once you've watched enough you know if its gonna be bad or good.

GG Transformers.

Yeah, I mean, come on! After a few hours, you know when a game is good or not. I've always known. If I don't like the game after an hour or 2, I'm not going to like it after 30. OK, some people like AA, great. That doesn't mean those who don't can't have their say. If OP came in here hyping the game after 3 hrs, that post wouldn't be challenged, yet he has the same "lack" of experience to talk from as if his option were different.  That kind of reply is nothing more than an "I don't like your opinion so I'll find a reason to discredit it" post.

If a game doesn't grab me right off the bat, I'm done. This opinion is not wrong either, I won't waste my time chasing "hype trains" if I won't enjoy the ride.

that is all well and good, and I actually agree...My point of contention with OP, remains...don't write a review (mini) or otherwise when you didn't play the game long enougn to warrant its writing.

But if what he writes is accurate and he doesn't misrepresent his experience, it's very relevant. Like I said, If I don't like a game within the 1st hour, I'm done, and if a 3 hr review accurately describes the early experiences and if there is enough information for me to make a good decision to get a good feel for what my early experience will be like, then It's very warranted.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by bestever
    Its been stated many times that the first 30 levels are nothing special but you felt the need to state it again. Everyone knows the questing is nothing special its the rest of the game that people are looking forward to.

Yeah, no thanks.  I've had it with games that start being fun at a certain level.  It's stupid and it's a waste of my time.  I am still a bit shocked that people defend this type of development, though.  You're saying 30 levels out of 50 aren't even really anything but working up to the good stuff and people are supposed to be ok with that?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Tyggs

No, he ISN'T wrong.  Every game that comes down the pike seems to have SOMEONE saying the game "doesn't get good til level X". 

Tera was level 20?  Didn't get that far because I got BORED before level 20. 

Wildstar was 15?  I didn't hate the game but I couldn't see it entertaining me up to level 15, much less past it.

I don't remember ESO's "fun level".

And this one is level 30?  Just stop.

" if you cannot find anything good about an MMORPG it is you who is at fault.  This shows a lack of perspective on any game reviewer's part and highlights how you shouldn't be reviewing games."

hmmm...my fault a game was poorly built and there is nothing desirable about it.  So that's how the blame game works.  Thanks...Ill remember that.

Most agree the game feels very much on rails the first 15 levels.

You can hop off the track, and having played alpha I knew what was going on and I did.  But early on in the game its faster to just stay on the rails if your main objective is getting levels.

If you've had much experience with the game though at about level 10 or 15 you should start working on some of your endgame objectives and advancing your endgame goals a bit.  Working with your guild to get your houses and farms up and in the right places and doing some trade runs to get a leg up on the economic game (which is very important) are all great things to do.

It would be wise at level 20 as well to start working on your first endgame armor and weapon which, once again.. farming, fishing, guild cooperation, trade runs...  These things can help a great deal with that.

By level 30 those rails become much less important and seem very optional.

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Most agree the game feels very much on rails the first 15 levels.

You can hop off the track, and having played alpha I knew what was going on and I did.  But early on in the game its faster to just stay on the rails if your main objective is getting levels.

If you've had much experience with the game though at about level 10 or 15 you should start working on some of your endgame objectives and advancing your endgame goals a bit.  Working with your guild to get your houses and farms up and in the right places and doing some trade runs to get a leg up on the economic game (which is very important) are all great things to do.

It would be wise at level 20 as well to start working on your first endgame armor and weapon which, once again.. farming, fishing, guild cooperation, trade runs...  These things can help a great deal with that.

By level 30 those rails become much less important and seem very optional.

That's all well and good. But I don't play games hoping they get fun later anymore. If a game is not fun at login, it is failing the one purpose of playing a game. Once developers understand this, things will get better. I wont walk through a sewer to see a rose garden.

SWTOR Referral Link

I definitely posted that on Wildstar, and I played CB for about 3 months on and of maybe totaling a weeks worth of time playing.  That game has alot good with it, but the problem was the rails.  

Archeage on the other hand...at least first impression and a 3 hour sit down, has nothing to offer.

That doesnt mean I like WS....I can't stand that game, but at least it offers something.  Cliche is boring and it is railed.  wasnt my cup of tea.

" if you cannot find anything good about an MMORPG it is you who is at fault.  This shows a lack of perspective on any game reviewer's part and highlights how you shouldn't be reviewing games."

hmmm...my fault a game was poorly built and there is nothing desirable about it.  So that's how the blame game works.  Thanks...Ill remember that.

Your reply takes my statement and removes it from context in an attempt to distill it down into a very simple and trivial remark which is easily rebuttled.   Redefining someone's argument and then arguing against it is a great way to win arguments on the internet.  But you're just talking to yourself when you do that.

I fear it is the same issue that I speak of with perspective that is the root cause of your review being so poorly received, and your inability to understand and address my constructive criticism on how in the future you could maybe have a better experience posting reviews.

If you can't show me that you understand what i'm saying, why should I bother trying?  I think the answer is, I shouldn't.

That's all well and good. But I don't play games hoping they get fun later anymore. If a game is not fun at login, it is failing the one purpose of playing a game. Once developers understand this, things will get better. I wont walk through a sewer to see a rose garden.

Nobody should ever expect you to either.

I'm only calling a spade a spade.

Archeage has a terrible early game and an endgame that is great for many of us.

I've played a lot of games that are ok for a while and then fall apart at endgame and I personally am grateful for one that is the reverse of that.

Nobody should tell you what to like in a game though and if you don't want to stick around for the fun stuff you shouldn't have to.  XLGames has failed you and in doing so has done a disservice to their game.  I'm not going to pretend AA is perfect when it isn't.

I dont think you were giving constructive criticism...it felt as though you were taking advantage of an oppurtunity to talk down to someone.  It's all good, I dont mind....I got my big boy pants on.  

But don't mince words or tell me Im mincing yours.  you said what you said and I asked why said it.  A simple explanation would have helped.

I wouldn't say it was poorly received...Alot of posters actually agreed with the sentiment....it was very 50/50 and very love/hatish

Im no wordsmith when it comes to describing anything so maybe some took it as a cheap shot at a game that had no substance....but take the time to read what I've posted and there is substance and plenty of explanation.  You just can't get past the title I gave it....

When you list NOTHING good about the game yet have a huge list of EVERYTHING thats wrong with the game ITS NOT A REVIEW! It's a bash

It's not that you hated every single thing other then the "download"...its just that you wish to ignore anything that was "ok".....Thats what you don't get

Your review - game is cheap

Real review - game felt like I was being guided but yet I could go anywhere I wanted if i wished to. I do wish the game was more open instead of guiding people but that does not seem like the direction they went for "early on anyway". This may not be my cup of tea but if you can get by the "rails and cheapness" you may be able to enjoy what AA has to offer.

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Nobody should ever expect you to either.

I'm only calling a spade a spade.

Archeage has a terrible early game and an endgame that is great for many of us.

I've played a lot of games that are ok for a while and then fall apart at endgame and I personally am grateful for one that is the reverse of that.

Nobody should tell you what to like in a game though and if you don't want to stick around for the fun stuff you shouldn't have to.  XLGames has failed you and in doing so has done a disservice to their game.  I'm not going to pretend AA is perfect when it isn't.

Thank you for the intellectual discussion. It was truly a pleasure. I hope you continue to find valuable entertainment with ArcheAge.

SWTOR Referral Link

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    To be honest this is about in-line with what I expected from ArcheAge. Same old same old in a slightly more sandboxy setting. I'll still be buying it and trying it, but I'm wondering why people expected greatness from something that has been met with a resounding "meh" worldwide everywhere else.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    To be honest this is about in-line with what I expected from ArcheAge. Same old same old in a slightly more sandboxy setting. I'll still be buying it and trying it, but I'm wondering why people expected greatness from something that has been met with a resounding "meh" worldwide everywhere else.

Or a game that is know for heavy monetization in it's other 2 markets would magically change. Why? Because a company that has another game with a cash shop that most players can tolerate is taking it over? Or because they think since one cash shop is OK, this one must be too.

I recall this very sentiment when GW2 announced it was going to have micro-transactions. The community ran with the assumption that GW2's monetization would be exactly like it's predecessor's.........It was nothing like it.

Now this new game comes along with the promise of having a Cash Shop just like Rift's. Who believes that? Why would you believe that? The game itself is fundamentally different from Rift. How could the cash shop be the same? 

And I still haven't had my biggest question answered that I've asked,

Does this game have RMT gold conversion and how much of an advantage can having a lot of gold early on in the game contribute to solidifying the game's overall powerbase?

When you list NOTHING good about the game yet have a huge list of EVERYTHING thats wrong with the game ITS NOT A REVIEW! It's a bash

It's not that you hated every single thing other then the "download"...its just that you wish to ignore anything that was "ok".....Thats what you don't get

Your review - game is cheap

Real review - game felt like I was being guided but yet I could go anywhere I wanted if i wished to. I do wish the game was more open instead of guiding people but that does not seem like the direction they went for "early on anyway". This may not be my cup of tea but if you can get by the "rails and cheapness" you may be able to enjoy what AA has to offer.

I actually never focused on whether it was on rails or not.  I said the questing was horrible, but Ive enjoyed games with little to no questing (Mortal Online, DF, Wurm, Xyson).  I can make an open world all day, but what is in the world and how is it layed out.  Lazy layout is unforgivable and thats my biggest issue with AA

So you are telling me that purposely made thought out the worst mob placement strategy and the most plain jane environment just so I'd be fooled when I went to a different area?  Interesting....

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Originally posted by bestever

How can you state this when you haven't seen the world? All you've seen was  the starting area. AA's world is huge so yea you haven't seen the world and can't judge it.

OP is mostly ridiculous, but as far as world design that's something that 99% of the time you can make an accurate judgment on based on character creation and the starter areas.

If the races and starting area are lacking, then its extremely unlikely that the world will be remotely compelling. ArcheAge falls into this category IMO.

There are plenty of people this is no big deal for though.

So you are telling me that purposely made thought out the worst mob placement strategy and the most plain jane environment just so I'd be fooled when I went to a different area?  Interesting....

You know as well as I know that ESO starting area was one of the worst a game has ever made.....So awful and unrepresenative of the game as a whole that they HAD to give you the option to skip it entirely after all the cries about how boring and guided it was....

Alot of games throw together start areas last in a rush before the game goes live to help people learn the game mechanics before hitting the actual content....all games do this for the most part

You know as well as I know that ESO starting area was one of the worst a game has ever made.....So awful and unrepresenative of the game as a whole that they HAD to give you the option to skip it entirely after all the cries about how boring and guided it was....

Alot of games throw together start areas last in a rush before the game goes live to help people learn the game mechanics before hitting the actual content....all games do this for the most part

ESO's starting area was only boring when you had to do it twice...the first go round was pretty cool and the setting was pretty immersive.  Mob placement made perfect sense and the little crowd of undead/dead....I dont know what they were in robes near tents was pretty cool too.  

When I walked into AA, I had green fields of nothing with mobs packed like sardines at every turn with friendly NPC's just standing with some barrels next to them that magically gave you strength and speed....

Two way different experiences...not very comparable