Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mini Review of Archage

Comments

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    why do I get the feeling people took way too much from me talking bad about questing....whether they had questing or not, the game is horridly built.  Has nothing to do with quests.  Ive played many a sandbox and sandpark, Mortal Online, SWG, DF, Eve, Salem, Xyson, Wurm and others I forgot the name of.  I enjoyed playing them..all of them.  I enjoyed maybe waiting for the download for AA and after that it was all a steep downhill fall.  For all the hype from the playerbase, this has got to be a worse example of a game than FFXIV 1.0 (not realm reborn)

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

If being free is cheap than paying a sub must be highway robbery...

Come on... it's free.  Play or don't play.  It's not like you spent any money, and yet you act like you've given them the deed to your house.  If you're going to cry bloody murder, you should be screaming at Blizzard... with the profits they make, you literally should be eating steak while playing the game... they can afford that sort of luxury on you... and yet... they are the ones being cheap.

I laugh, oh I laugh out loud at the irony of it all.

• ClippersNBAClippersNBA Member Posts: 39

My review of the OP's review is a  -13.

Archeage is one of the best MMORPGs. Not saying a better one isn't coming, but for now I think it is and I can't wait for release.

• RorhcRorhc Member UncommonPosts: 115
    I'm actually on the fence about it. I really am digging on the seamless world though. Other than that , I would have to find a decent guild to join to enjoy the higher levels with PvPing.

This could end up being very interesting.

• onsenfouonsenfou Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Originally posted by Randayn

Scores are based on a scale of 1-10

Mob Placement 0.1 – The mob placement when I got in game was insanely terrible.  It was downright lazy.  Just a cluster of the same mob all in one place so you could just keep hopping down the trail and completing the quests.

Game world 2 – the minute I stepped in the game world I knew where I was….another horrible FTP game that has nothing to offer.  The game world is plain and boring…there is nothing that stood out whatsoever.

Character and creation 4 – you get to do some pretty good work on the face, but nothing else.  No height adjuster so everyone is the same size.  Character movement is typical of a FTP grinder and the combat graphics aren’t much different.  Feels very stiff

Combat 4 – Combat animations are standard fare, sometimes overdone, never underdone.   You cannot avoid attacks by movement which is something almost every new MMO has installed.  The issue is that this new design feature that most mmo’s now use seems like an upgrade and one that should be implemented in any new game if you are a good developer, so it really feels like lazy design rather than deliberate strategy. 

As a whole I had heard so many good things about this game, but the minute I stepped into the game world I felt as though I’d been fleeced.  The game was reminiscent of any other Asian grinder with no real rhyme or reason to anything, poor implementation of everything and lazy design implementation.  On top of all this there is a cash shop that will be needed as seen with Labor points, which happen to be something that should automatically set an alarm off in anyone’s head.  

Did I play long enough to actually be able to make a fair review?  Yes, the game wasn’t just “not my thing”, or “good but not great”, it was downright terrible.  Didn’t matter how long I tortured myself for (I did it for 3 hours).  This game should be used for interrogation purposes.

Thanks OP for this, I feel just the same way.

It's the generic thing, again and again.

GL in finding your cup of tea, I can't seem to find any mmorpg that fits my need. I am still tortured if I should get back on WoW or not lol, trying to find a game with pvp just like it, but a longer gear grind. That's just me though.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Even supporters are agreeing up to lvl 30 or so is mediocre.  And that is a problem.   If a game is mediocre for that long, it will drive many away. 

ArcheAge has been hyped so much on these forums and so many have spent 150 for alpha , or so it seems, and when someone dares criticize the game you can expect a backlash.

I played briefly during this beta event but I'm not immediately amazed.  The combat feels mediocre to me.  I do love the game world and find it impressive.  The labor pts just seem like a mess to me but I really didnt get too far with that. 

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

How to smell bullshit, easy 2 step guide:

1) reviewer says game is horrid and slow, aesthetics did not agree with him, ok;

2) says he found Wurm online and EVE Online to be better games ( the first is arguably fast up until you get your house while the second takes 3 months to get to a level where you can actually start to have fun, I should know I played the game for over 7 years, both though are notorious slogs ).

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Not a fan of the game, but its a niche game so most wont like it.

But there will be enough that do like it.

For me, sandbox or not the game world and lore needs to be interesting. AA's game world to me was awful.  I also didn't like the crafting.  Gathering is nice, but the item making process is poor.  And LP is an awful system.  Capping fun per day for crafters is just bad design.  Also, same stale three tree system.

There are plenty that don't mind these things, and I disagree with the game seeming 'cheap'.  It does seem like a game that is unsure of what it wants to be at times though.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by adderVXI

I couldnt log off. 

I had the same problem but alt + f4 worked great.

scnr

I'm always reading reviews and replys to those to see if I missed something but either it is a "but the game is great" without any explanation which doesn't help much at all or something like "the game starts with lvl 30"

Honestly, why do I have to start at lvl 1 when apparently new games start at level 30? I heard the same about Wildstar and simply don't understand it. Doesnt that mean people accepted that a MMORPG feels bad by , kind of, default? That not your char but the real life you has to suffer for 30 levels before the fun part starts? You can call me old fashioned but aren't games supposed to be fun all the way? If I wanted to suffer in the evening I'd stay at work a few more hours.

But I guess that explains why an easy way to respec is wanted/demanded by so many players. No one wants to suffer through that waste of time again. Holy cow... now I get it.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Ezze902
    Originally posted by Mackaveli44
    I love ppl that make reviews based off playing games in the early lvls/stages of it...  Sorry but no one can make a sound legitimate "review" of a game, any game by playing so little of it(3 hrs is jack shit for an mmo... Sorry to say).  Especially the very beginning of a game...  That's like walking into a movie, watching 2 minutes of it and saying "oh this movie is shit". Not very logical. 

When you've played as many mmos as most of us have, especially the OP (You can tell in his writing)... you can judge a mmo on a trailer.   Like you said... watching a 2 minute trailer of a movie, once you've watched enough you know if its gonna be bad or good.

GG Transformers.

Yeah, I mean, come on! After a few hours, you know when a game is good or not. I've always known. If I don't like the game after an hour or 2, I'm not going to like it after 30. OK, some people like AA, great. That doesn't mean those who don't can't have their say. If OP came in here hyping the game after 3 hrs, that post wouldn't be challenged, yet he has the same "lack" of experience to talk from as if his option were different.  That kind of reply is nothing more than an "I don't like your opinion so I'll find a reason to discredit it" post.

If a game doesn't grab me right off the bat, I'm done. This opinion is not wrong either, I won't waste my time chasing "hype trains" if I won't enjoy the ride.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by Mackaveli44
    I love ppl that make reviews based off playing games in the early lvls/stages of it...  Sorry but no one can make a sound legitimate "review" of a game, any game by playing so little of it(3 hrs is jack shit for an mmo... Sorry to say).  Especially the very beginning of a game...  That's like walking into a movie, watching 2 minutes of it and saying "oh this movie is shit". Not very logical. 

When you've played as many mmos as most of us have, especially the OP (You can tell in his writing)... you can judge a mmo on a trailer.   Like you said... watching a 2 minute trailer of a movie, once you've watched enough you know if its gonna be bad or good.

GG Transformers.

Thanks, I appreciate that.  I've played at least 50 MMO's...probably more.  If you want a list I can give you it...it starts at EQ, AO and DAOC and probably most every other MMO after those.  I been there done that...it's very easy to tell what a good, great or horrible MMO is.  This, unfortunately, goes in horrible.  I wish it didnt....sounded very promising....but was baffled when I got in game.

To be honost I am actually suprised seeing this "minireview" coming from a experianced MMORG player. But it coulde be just me thinking due to experiance you would have know not to judge a MMORPG when you're still in the learning curve....which seems to be at about level 30ish when it opens up. Yeah yeah a game needs to be 100% compeling in the first minutes....From experiance I know MMORPG's are not your typical "games" There for take time epecialy in a MMORPG that is more sandbox natured. 

I saw this same behaviour in SWG where people only understood doing quest aka being guided but ignored most of what the game really was about.

OP don't misunderstand me in saying you're wrong about your feeling about the game. It's just I expect abit more info even in a minireview especially from a vet. MMORPG player. 

If it takes a vet to sniff out an aberration such as this game 30+ levels, then maybe you a good threshold for pain....I do not.  On top of that, if I had a dollar for everytime someone tried to defend a game by saying "you need to play it more" I'd be a millionaire.  When someone says this to me, it's a clear indication that I should never play that game again.

Exactly!  It seems to be the new marketing catchphrase to combat early attrition; "You have to play to level XX in order to see the best parts of the game."

Wrong.  The same as any other product you buy; if you aren't satisfied with the product the moment you take it out of the box and start using it; you don't just set it on a shelf and hope that it gets better, you already KNOW it's a piece of crap.

That's like saying, "Oh my God!  This hamburger tastes like sh*t!", then you put it in the fridge with the intention of reheating it later to see if it tastes better, because- you know- it supposedly gets better the longer it sits around.

You make other purchases with the expectation that a company's product will demonstrate to you that they are putting their best foot forward the moment you try their product.  Other industries make the effort to "WOW!" you the moment you take that first bite, or put the keys in the ignition and turn the engine over for the first time, or slide that shirt over your torso.  Not the video game industry.  There is still an older mentality in place that we're all just a bunch of stupid "kids" without a consumer voice.

The OP is right; ArcheAge lacks any real inspiration, is devoid of true creativity (no real story to speak of, even the standard quest givers with the big "?" over their head have nothing of substance to offer in terms of game lore), and is a shockingly dull offering for a MMORPG being released this far into the genre's evolution.

If you have sampled any of the other pointless, so-called "MMORPG" titles coming out of Korea, ArcheAge ranks right down there with the rest of them; it's a pointless 'grindfest' with Farmville elements thrown in.  The alleged 'sandbox' skill system is NOTHING like Ultima Online- it doesn't even come close- nor does it have UO's offerings.  There may be a few housing and vehicular elements reminiscent of UO, but that's where it ends.  So, don't buy into the "I haven't had this much fun since UO" bullcrap. 

It's a real shame, because with TRION's involvement, I had higher expectations of the U.S. incarnation of ArcheAge that we would see.  However, from my experiences with the game, and after reading a couple of responses from the TRION community rep on the ArcheAge forums, I am not convinced that TRION is in control of the situation, they're just there to perform triage.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by flizzer

Even supporters are agreeing up to lvl 30 or so is mediocre.  And that is a problem.   If a game is mediocre for that long, it will drive many away. 

ArcheAge has been hyped so much on these forums and so many have spent 150 for alpha , or so it seems, and when someone dares criticize the game you can expect a backlash.

I played briefly during this beta event but I'm not immediately amazed.  The combat feels mediocre to me.  I do love the game world and find it impressive.  The labor pts just seem like a mess to me but I really didnt get too far with that. 

Sadly, I'm one of those people that was so excited with the prospect of trying ArcheAge that I spent the $150 to get in, but I feel burned and pissed off.  I will NOT be one of the defenders.

I played, I explored, I wrote multiple bug reports... no mention of those bugs being fixed in the latest patch notes AND I encountered them again.  Serious bugs that would REALLY piss me off if I had spent money and real-time hours waiting to achieve results in a RELEASE VERSION of the game, only to have the game glitch and I lose everything I spent a lot of REAL TIME hours waiting for.  This happened so many times that I tried various scenarios trying to repeat the situation, trying to find if it was user error or a game flaw, and it was NOT user error.

• bound4hadesbound4hades Member UncommonPosts: 83

To all of you,

Who gives a rats ass. If you like the game, enjoy it and play it. If you don't, then don't play. If he wants to give a review and tell it like he believes it is, good for him. If the games that good, people will play it. He could write 100 bad reviews and it won't stop them.

I can understand someone loading up a game and playing a few hours and just turning it off because it just sucks. It was that way for me with Wildstar, but that's just me.

People, stop with the BS, "it takes -- lvl's to enjoy the game". If the games no fun, why would I force myself to play deeper into it?

You guys are making light of a poorly done review for what?

• TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205

Originally posted by Reklaw

Originally posted by Mackaveli44 I love ppl that make reviews based off playing games in the early lvls/stages of it...  Sorry but no one can make a sound legitimate "review" of a game, any game by playing so little of it(3 hrs is jack shit for an mmo... Sorry to say).  Especially the very beginning of a game...  That's like walking into a movie, watching 2 minutes of it and saying "oh this movie is shit". Not very logical. 
      When you've played as many mmos as most of us have, especially the OP (You can tell in his writing)... you can judge a mmo on a trailer.   Like you said... watching a 2 minute trailer of a movie, once you've watched enough you know if its gonna be bad or good. GG Transformers.
    Thanks, I appreciate that.  I've played at least 50 MMO's...probably more.  If you want a list I can give you it...it starts at EQ, AO and DAOC and probably most every other MMO after those.  I been there done that...it's very easy to tell what a good, great or horrible MMO is.  This, unfortunately, goes in horrible.  I wish it didnt....sounded very promising....but was baffled when I got in game.
    To be honost I am actually suprised seeing this "minireview" coming from a experianced MMORG player. But it coulde be just me thinking due to experiance you would have know not to judge a MMORPG when you're still in the learning curve....which seems to be at about level 30ish when it opens up. Yeah yeah a game needs to be 100% compeling in the first minutes....From experiance I know MMORPG's are not your typical "games" There for take time epecialy in a MMORPG that is more sandbox natured.  I saw this same behaviour in SWG where people only understood doing quest aka being guided but ignored most of what the game really was about. OP don't misunderstand me in saying you're wrong about your feeling about the game. It's just I expect abit more info even in a minireview especially from a vet. MMORPG player. 
    If it takes a vet to sniff out an aberration such as this game 30+ levels, then maybe you a good threshold for pain....I do not.  On top of that, if I had a dollar for everytime someone tried to defend a game by saying "you need to play it more" I'd be a millionaire.  When someone says this to me, it's a clear indication that I should never play that game again.

You knock every game but ESO....ok you play ESO and defend it with all your might...while knocking every other game in every other forum....But why? how can you say anything about a game starting out slow when ESO is the slowest most boring game until you hit lvl 20 or so....add in that the "controls" being extremely unresponsive....horrible pvp balance....terrible lag in cyrodill (pvp zone)....no name plates option....every single person running around with a staff because nothing else comes close to it.....shit raids that give you worse loot then something you can get off a mob.....no auction house.....no housing....no battlegrounds....no guild vs guild castle sieges.....about 6 cookie cutter builds that do ANYTHING in pvp unless you don't care because running around in zergs of 50+ is amusing to you.....Terrible customer support (worst ever)Terrible dev communication

and much more.

BTW I play ESO and still have an account...the games ok but how can anyone log in after you hit max level for more then a few minutes? THERE IS NOTHING TO DO.

So moral of the story is everyone has there own reasons for liking or disliking a game but those are opinions and not facts....

See what I did there :P

• laz3rNach0zlaz3rNach0z Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Talketzanto

You knock every game but ESO....ok you play ESO and defend it with all your might...while knocking every other game in every other forum....But why? how can you say anything about a game starting out slow when ESO is the slowing most boring game until you hit lvl 20 or so....
    add in that the "controls" being extremely unresponsive....
    horrible pvp balance....
    terrible lag in cyrodill (pvp zone)....
    no name plates option....
    every single person running around with a staff because nothing else comes close to it.....
    shit raids that give you worse loot then something you can get off a mob.....no auction house.....
    no housing....
    no battlegrounds....
    no guild vs guild castle sieges.....
    about 6 cookie cutter builds that do ANYTHING in pvp unless you don't care because running around in zergs of 50+ is amusing to you.....
    Terrible customer support (worst ever)
    Terrible dev communication

and much more.

BTW I play ESO and still have an account...the games ok but how can anyone log in after you hit max level for more then a few minutes? THERE IS NOTHING TO DO.

So moral of the story is everyone has there own reasons for liking or disliking a game but those are opinions and not facts....

See what I did there :P

why u talk ESO bro go to their forums if u like it so much were here for AA

Originally posted by laz3rNach0z

Originally posted by Talketzanto   You knock every game but ESO....ok you play ESO and defend it with all your might...while knocking every other game in every other forum....But why? how can you say anything about a game starting out slow when ESO is the slowing most boring game until you hit lvl 20 or so.... add in that the "controls" being extremely unresponsive.... horrible pvp balance.... terrible lag in cyrodill (pvp zone).... no name plates option.... every single person running around with a staff because nothing else comes close to it..... shit raids that give you worse loot then something you can get off a mob.....no auction house..... no housing.... no battlegrounds.... no guild vs guild castle sieges..... about 6 cookie cutter builds that do ANYTHING in pvp unless you don't care because running around in zergs of 50+ is amusing to you..... Terrible customer support (worst ever) Terrible dev communication and much more. BTW I play ESO and still have an account...the games ok but how can anyone log in after you hit max level for more then a few minutes? THERE IS NOTHING TO DO. So moral of the story is everyone has there own reasons for liking or disliking a game but those are opinions and not facts.... See what I did there :P  
    why u talk ESO bro go to their forums if u like it so much were here for AA

Im actually defending AA from the ESO fanboy

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Another useless inaccurate "mini-review" from a dullard who couldn't even take 5 minutes to research a game before downloading it and letting loose keyboard sewage to unsuspecting readers.  

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    We welcome a new age in these trifling times : the age of "mmo racist". "just another f2p ..." or "just another wow clone" or "just another ...", every time i read something like those all i can see is how narrow minded a person is, they should have their own definite term to describe them, so i came out with : mmo racist. Please give me some feedback guys. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Since it's F2P, max level boost will be nice option. I'd like to jump to pirates in 1st minute when game goes live, not to do generic asian quests 2k years old. So many features and options, yet no one advertised game as utterly crap till you get to level 30 to enjoy game.
  • Neobloodline3dNeobloodline3d Member CommonPosts: 54
    You can't defend ArchAge from people with a sour opinion of it, it is what it is.  They're not going to be able to change it at this point when they can barely get the translation out.  It's not like you can send the developers a meaningful message for change when they're across the pond and you go through the publisher here.  When people notice the popping textures, the uninspired fighting, the donkey hauls, the crowding of farmland and the two dozen other irritations this game offers it's going to be hard to look through rose colored glasses and dismiss all of the things that make playing the game kind of a bummer.  Sandbox sounds great yea but it has to be fun first. 
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

OP as I stated in a earlier thread, the Asian style graphics will never sell me on any mmo (it's just me), I see some of your points, but the game isn't that terrible to me. I will give it another go when they release the other 2 races, but as of now, I cannot tolerate any of the races at all, reminds me of a F2P we have all seen before.

It's going to be a F2P game anyways, I will give it another shot, but I am in no hurry to head back anytime soon.

• CalexCalex Member UncommonPosts: 99

OP I would have to agree the game looks like cheap ftp trash, made up my mind 2 years ago it was going to be trash from watching the Asian vid's when it launched. Your review looks spot on to how I felt when watching the vid's. Glad I will never download it.

Trion made a sharp turn for worse pretty much with everything after Rift. That F2P money always brings out the trash in dev's.

Cheap? Please explain....game looks great. I suppose you can't run it on ultra so that would make sense

• ClippersNBAClippersNBA Member Posts: 39

I reject the idea that you have to get to level 30 to have fun. I only got to level 15 in the beta and I had fun the whole time. I love the beautiful big open world and I enjoyed the combat a lot. I also forced myself to read the quests, which I usually don't do, and they were entertaining. I took my sweet time doing everything and enjoying the eye candy of the villages I came across and the surrounding environments. I didn't bother racing to do as much content as possible because I'd rather wait until it matters after release.

I also wonder how many people have crappy computers. Personally, I couldn't enjoy a game unless it played above a constant 60fps. It just subliminally makes me feel like I want to stop playing if I'm below that frame rate. If you're not getting a high frame rate, I would suggest putting the graphic slider to 'Normal' except for 'Draw distance' on high, because everything still looks good and plays really smooth on that setting. Try it.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

My mini review:

Played to level 10. Graphics are terrible with everything set to max. Wait in line, or hope to tag quest mobs FAIL. Overall, just a terrible game. Nothing new, nothing special, same old garbage.