Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Action MMORPGS and why I don't think they'll catch on.

124»

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Quizzical
    Action combat games need an awful lot of random number generation, too, you know.  I can't think of any game ever made in any genre that wouldn't have benefited from a hefty dose of random number generation, though sometimes you can get it implicitly from perturbations in the timing of when players do things.  A lot depends on what you do with said random numbers.
    They do? For combat? I certainly have no idea, but it "seems" to me that if I aim correctly, I do not miss. Yes, an NPC/Player may dodge or block, but it does not seem that I ever "miss" if my aim is correct. I am basing this heavily on playing Skyrim, an action combat adventure game. If I am aimed right, I hit. If not, I miss. Not at all like Morrowind where even if I aimed correctly, I could miss.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Boneserino
    Originally posted by Kaladin

I just liked the bits about MMORPGs being physically exhausting, and that Wildstar is tab-target.

If video games are physically exhausting, I think you know what I would suggest.

I guess you could call Wildstar tab target by virtue of the fact that you can press tab and the target frame will go to an enemy, but the more traditional meaning of tab-target is that you press tab to target the enemy that all of your attacks will land on.  Which is not the case in Wildstar.  You still have to aim, and tabbing will just show you mob HP and a cast bar.

Lets just cut to the chase and get to the real point of this thread.   Action oriented combat is geared toward the younger gamer, lets call them the 15 to 40 year old group.

Judging by my own experience, as an ancient gamer, I think around the age of 40 is where you begin to accept your own mortality as a gamer.   Once you thought of yourself as a gaming god!   Now, your 8 year old nephew comes along and wipes the floor with you, without even breaking a sweat.  Are video games physically exhausting?   At age 20 certainly not.  At age 40 and up, if you are playing a game that requires constant mental and physical attention, then you will most definitely find your playing time becoming shorter and shorter, and quite possibly less enjoyable also.    So it is a real fact that as gamers age, they will look for games that have a slower pace and that can be paused and analyzed, rather than simply require quick reflexes and acute mental concentration to succeed.

So all of this really says nothing except that action oriented combat has its place in MMO's for the younger crowd, just as the tab target/select abilities combat has it place as well.   Which is more popular?  I have no idea, as it would really depend on where the average age of the MMO gamer is at the moment.   I can guarantee though that no matter how much you may like action type combat, there will come a time in your life when your skills will wane, and it becomes harder and harder to apply the concentration needed.    

When it is all said and done, we need games that appeal to all types of gamers,  young and old.  

As a 40 year old gamer I have accepted that kids are faster and better when it comes to pvp. I didn't just get my ass handed to me because they cheated or I wasn't ready..I'm just not as fast anymore.

But... I still don't like tab target more, I just like pvp less. I also don't believe tab target takes less physical attention or that action combat is for ppl with ADD. Both combat systems have lots going on during combat. If you're type chatting it's probably because the combat you're doing is boring. That isn't a quality feature of a game, it's a lack of balance and challenge. Tab targeting can be just as intense as action, just not in the same way. Watching cooldowns in stead of attack patterns etc.

There is no, this is for kids and this is for adults. It's all just a preference on what one gamer likes verse another and how they try and spin their opinion into being " most people"

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    Originally posted by Boneserino
    Originally posted by Kaladin

I just liked the bits about MMORPGs being physically exhausting, and that Wildstar is tab-target.

If video games are physically exhausting, I think you know what I would suggest.

I guess you could call Wildstar tab target by virtue of the fact that you can press tab and the target frame will go to an enemy, but the more traditional meaning of tab-target is that you press tab to target the enemy that all of your attacks will land on.  Which is not the case in Wildstar.  You still have to aim, and tabbing will just show you mob HP and a cast bar.

Lets just cut to the chase and get to the real point of this thread.   Action oriented combat is geared toward the younger gamer, lets call them the 15 to 40 year old group.

Judging by my own experience, as an ancient gamer, I think around the age of 40 is where you begin to accept your own mortality as a gamer.   Once you thought of yourself as a gaming god!   Now, your 8 year old nephew comes along and wipes the floor with you, without even breaking a sweat.  Are video games physically exhausting?   At age 20 certainly not.  At age 40 and up, if you are playing a game that requires constant mental and physical attention, then you will most definitely find your playing time becoming shorter and shorter, and quite possibly less enjoyable also.    So it is a real fact that as gamers age, they will look for games that have a slower pace and that can be paused and analyzed, rather than simply require quick reflexes and acute mental concentration to succeed.

So all of this really says nothing except that action oriented combat has its place in MMO's for the younger crowd, just as the tab target/select abilities combat has it place as well.   Which is more popular?  I have no idea, as it would really depend on where the average age of the MMO gamer is at the moment.   I can guarantee though that no matter how much you may like action type combat, there will come a time in your life when your skills will wane, and it becomes harder and harder to apply the concentration needed.    

When it is all said and done, we need games that appeal to all types of gamers,  young and old.  

I enjoyed reading your reply sir.  Especially the red part, because I think there is some truth to that.  I'm considered the "young" crowd and I do love the action combat in mmos.  I guess I have about 9-10 years before I can kiss them goodbye lol. image

I agree there's a lot of truth in what Bones said. I am 36 now and I find myself becoming less patient with "busier" games. While I do love my action oriented games, I think I prefer them as single player or more co-op games (like Zelda games or Diablo, etc). 

As I have grown older, my taste in games has changed considerably. Years ago, I think I would've hated Trove, but I really like it. I can't stand most FPS games anymore though, and I used to play those quite a bit. Although, Destiny has my interest, but I think mostly due to the co-op nature of the game and pvp isn't the biggest portion of the game.