Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 5 MMOs to Play with Non-MMO Players

13»

Comments

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I would recommend TSW and GW2 to newer MMO players. 

It's been years since I last played DCUO (I was on PS3).

Idk about recommending ESO to newer MMO players.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• AshikuroAshikuro Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Marvel Heroes and The Secret World need to be on this list. I would actually rank them #1 & #2 on the list. For non-MMO players, you want a good storyline with mostly soloable content. Voice acting also really helps players that don't generally like the MMO feel (my wife as an example). I don't see that on the list. I respect the article, but I think several of the games are off target.
  • ketzerei84ketzerei84 Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by Karazul
    Originally posted by blubsterer
    In my opinion "The Secret World" is missing. Good story, perfect business model for people that don't play very much and enough room to grow ingame if you choose to ...

I second that.

Third

Playing: Secret World: Legends

Waiting for: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• kellyokiddkellyokidd Member UncommonPosts: 17

This game was shut down last september but Pirates of the Caribbean was a great MMO for a new gamer.  It was somewhat easy to understand and really easy to link up with friends to sail or plunder with. 

• HaldursonHaldurson Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by Haralin
    cannot believe the author mentioned TESO cause this is a game you hardly can play with a friend cause phasing destroyed it totally.

Change TESO with TSW cause solving riddles together is a blast.

I'm not sure if that's been changed yet as I mostly only group for dungeons, but I think it has been.   Very early after release it was announced that they were enabling grouping to work with phasing because of the complaints.  BTW, this is a consequence of gamers SCREAMING for years and years that they want their actions and decisions to be meaningful.  Gamers finally got what they asked for and the solution to the problem was phasing.  It only proves that you should be careful what you ask for (but as I said, that's either already fixed or about to be fixed).

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    I don't like how DCUO is described as "cross-platform".  That term is supposed to identify games which let players from multiple platforms play together.  A better term is "multi-platform" because it doesn't imply any crossing of console boundaries.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Originally posted by Haldurson
    Originally posted by Haralin
    cannot believe the author mentioned TESO cause this is a game you hardly can play with a friend cause phasing destroyed it totally.

Change TESO with TSW cause solving riddles together is a blast.

I'm not sure if that's been changed yet as I mostly only group for dungeons, but I think it has been.   Very early after release it was announced that they were enabling grouping to work with phasing because of the complaints.  BTW, this is a consequence of gamers SCREAMING for years and years that they want their actions and decisions to be meaningful.  Gamers finally got what they asked for and the solution to the problem was phasing.  It only proves that you should be careful what you ask for (but as I said, that's either already fixed or about to be fixed).

I think phasing was an awful "Hey we don't know what else to do" answer to that issue.

I was thinking more along the lines of players working together to push back an invading NPC army/horde.  Or maybe responding to raids that, if left unchecked, would decimate cities in the game that provide options for progression when protected.  That's meaningful, and it's MMO.  Preventing players from playing together if they so choose is probably one of the worst answers I've ever seen to an MMO design problem.

I hope they have changed it, but I read the article about ESO's future and I can't say I'm impressed with the direction the game is headed.  Sounds like a gear treadmill is on the way, only they hit the reset button every so often so you have to grind out new gear all over again.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

My List

1. Final Fantasy XIV

2. World of Warcraft

3. Destiny

4. Elder Scrolls Online

5. Star Wars The Old Republic

Destiny?  It hasn't even launched yet.  How can you possibly rate it that high based off limited time in a beta?  Assuming you were in one of the console betas.

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Was this list actually made by a human or RNG?  Silly article.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

My List

1. Final Fantasy XIV

2. World of Warcraft

3. Destiny

4. Elder Scrolls Online

5. Star Wars The Old Republic

Destiny?  It hasn't even launched yet.  How can you possibly rate it that high based off limited time in a beta?  Assuming you were in one of the console betas.

Because non-mmo gamers are loving it in the beta.  And most of the people who are playing it are non-mmo gamers.  The game is attracting halo and borderlands fans the most, shooter fans in general.

And its easy to see why people are loving it, it has great controls, very smooth gun play like Halo did.  It doesnt start out complicated and its very accessible.  And most gamers are familiar and comfortable with first person shooter gameplay.

I put FFXIV and WoW in place 1 and 2 because those are in my opinion most accessible in the start as "traditional" mmos.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by Ashikuro
    Marvel Heroes and The Secret World need to be on this list. I would actually rank them #1 & #2 on the list. For non-MMO players, you want a good storyline with mostly soloable content. Voice acting also really helps players that don't generally like the MMO feel (my wife as an example). I don't see that on the list. I respect the article, but I think several of the games are off target.

+1

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• popezaphodpopezaphod Member UncommonPosts: 58
    RIFT.  It's f2p and therefore more accessible than WoW where you have to pay for the game and a subscription to play.
  • docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by popezaphod
    RIFT.  It's f2p and therefore more accessible than WoW where you have to pay for the game and a subscription to play.

You can play WoW for free up to level 20, good enough for testing.

But I agree, a paywall might hinder non-MMO persons. 

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw