Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam ESO forum privilege locked

Comments

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by Shodanas
    Originally posted by Soandsoso
    Originally posted by Vortex5oo

"Posting privileges: Only players who own The Elder Scrolls Online are allowed to post in this forum."

Have never seen that on Steam before. lol, not even X-Rebirth did that...

What's the issue. They don't want you creating hate posts. Move on.

there is a fine line between a hate post and a post just explaining why someone didnt buy the game.

Could it be that is why we have decided free speech is a good thing?

And why do you feel the urge to go to a forum and explain why you DIDN'T buy x or z game? I'm not buying tons of games as well. Why should i believe that others are even remotely interested in my valid or not valid reasons? Self entitlement much? 

On the matter, they did a good thing in allowing only owners of the game to post on said forums as they where swarmed with mindless haters and trolls. 

free speech doesnt require a reason that you understand or agree with.

No such thing as free speech in privately owned forums. Maybe they were just tired of the extra moderation it was requiring. At least on those forums now you know that the person trashing the game did actually play it which isn't the case here.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by TheBlackWolf
    The hate for ESO still pales in comparison to the hate SWTOR gets, so you have that going for you at least, which is nice!

I'm actually happy to see that TOR is getting a lot more recognition as of late, they've been adding nice things for a while now. Hence why I think it's far too early to rule ESO out as well. As they have some nice additions in the pipeline.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

"Posting privileges: Only players who own The Elder Scrolls Online are allowed to post in this forum."

there is a fine line between a hate post and a post just explaining why someone didnt buy the game.

Actually, the line isn't that fine at all. It's actually pretty damn obvious.

Problem is, very few people actually do what you're suggesting. Most people think saying a game sucks, and posting a bunch of half-truths, lies, or assumptions is the same as giving an honest perspective on a game, or even a valid critique.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend the game doesn't have a lot of issues, but I also can't pretend that the game doesn't have a ridiculous amount of hate bandwagoning as well. Much of which is coming from people who either haven't actually played the game, or played 10 lvls of it and then called it quits.

When you're trying to sell a game, and the forums of flooded by people talking sh*@ about a game, it's a pretty obvious move to filter that crap out. It's one thing to deliberately censor information about a game (which is both wrong, and punishable), but it's an entirely different thing to prevent people from engaging a personal flame war on a product you're trying to give a fair chance.

You could literally be selling the best game on the market, but if the first thing people see is a bunch of kids arguing over whether or not the game would've been better as Skyrim, it's not going to sell as well.

- Personally, I have my issues w/ the game, and have stopped playing. However I do still have a number of friends who still are enjoying it. I'm not going to bash the game because it's the thing to do currently (just as GW2, and SWTOR were before it). If people want an honest opinion of the game I'll give one. Otherwise they're generally just looking for people to reinforce their own close-mindedness.

Originally posted by kairel182
    Originally posted by Wighty

The overwhelming hate for this game has an entire crusade of people who will stop at nothing to try and derail this game. I know there are haters and fanbois alike but in the case of ESO they really push the limits....

I am not sure who pissed in their cheerios, or kicked their puppy but man nothing in life is worth hating that much...

I think the core question here is why are so many people hyper pissed instead of just indiferent.

any theories?

I wouldn't consider myself pissed in any sense of the word, let alone hyper pissed but I feel it necessary to weigh in on the "hater" side of things.

I personally tested it in open beta to know it was just god awful so I wasted nothing in the process, so I'm indifferent in that aspect.  The two things that I dislike, one of which I almost take personal offense to, are very easily described.

1) The major issue I have is that it is under the "Elder Scrolls" IP and title.  It may have a skin of Elder Scrolls, but it in no way, shape or form plays like or resembles such game(s).  Which leads to...

2) Looking at it strictly as an MMO without taking the Elder Scrolls IP into consideration, it's just mediocre at best.  And that's an understatement.  The combat is terrible, floaty and non-impactful with the generic quest hub style leveling making it double whammy.  I found the crafting to be convoluted and uninspired, others seemed to rave about it.  As for PvP, the combat is enough to make me never want to engage in that, which is what the game boasted.  I was very hyped considering it was hailed at the "DAoC" of modern day with 3 faction PvP.  But it just doesn't matter.  There's no faction pride or unity, it's just all lost in the mediocrity of likeness of everyone else.

This is just my personal opinion on why I feel the game is bad, but I in no way go out of my way to tell people why it is.  I hate seeing new MMO's flop and die, it means more stagnation and even less developers wanting to break this terrible mold we've been stuck in since WoW ruined the genre.  Hell, I even felt a few heart strings pulled when Warhammer shutdown even though it was deserved from how it was built from the ground up to fail.  I just can't find myself supporting a game that fits the same mold as everything else.

You ever played an ES game with good combat ? I actually think ESO had the best combat of the IP.  It always been basic attack mixed with a spell here and there.

Originally posted by aesperus

Problem is, very few people actually do what you're suggesting. Most people think saying a game sucks, and posting a bunch of half-truths, lies, or assumptions is the same as giving an honest perspective on a game, or even a valid critique.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend the game doesn't have a lot of issues, but I also can't pretend that the game doesn't have a ridiculous amount of hate bandwagoning as well. Much of which is coming from people who either haven't actually played the game, or played 10 lvls of it and then called it quits.

When you're trying to sell a game, and the forums of flooded by people talking sh*@ about a game, it's a pretty obvious move to filter that crap out. It's one thing to deliberately censor information about a game (which is both wrong, and punishable), but it's an entirely different thing to prevent people from engaging a personal flame war on a product you're trying to give a fair chance.

You could literally be selling the best game on the market, but if the first thing people see is a bunch of kids arguing over whether or not the game would've been better as Skyrim, it's not going to sell as well.

- Personally, I have my issues w/ the game, and have stopped playing. However I do still have a number of friends who still are enjoying it. I'm not going to bash the game because it's the thing to do currently (just as GW2, and SWTOR were before it). If people want an honest opinion of the game I'll give one. Otherwise they're generally just looking for people to reinforce their own close-mindedness.

Well said. +1

• GoobyYoYoGoobyYoYo Member Posts: 8

The thing is I can't think of any other game on steam that has this type of censorship on it's forums.  There are a lot of bad games on steam and their forums are filled with people voicing their opinions or discussing their reasons.  Now people like me can't use the steam ESO forums as a means to get well rounded feedback on the game.  At least not to ask questions.  Apparantly only those who buy the game through steam can post on their forums and not even those who bought it from somewhere else. 

I guess I will see how those people who bought it on sale through steam seem to think about it.  Heck now that I think about it that might be a good thing.  Since I won't have to sift through overly rose tinted praises like a few a posters here are known for as well as the hate laced dribble from others.  I can get feedback from those who are trying out all of these fixes they are adding and see what they think.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Distopia

Well said. +1

horseshit.

people often mis-interpret criticism for hate all the time. Its why we have explictly stated free speech in the first place.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561

Well said. +1

horseshit.

people often mis-interpret criticism for hate all the time. Its why we have explictly stated free speech in the first place.

Like someone suggested earlier free speech is not your right on internet forums. Just like it is not your right to say whatever you want inside someone else's house. And there are already sooooo many venues from where you can discuss and find information/reviews about this game that I don't see how anyone can complain.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Well said. +1

horseshit.

Again, you seem to miss the whole point here.  Forums, steam etc.  Are private forums/games.  Your free speech entitlement is misplaced.  Not to mention, not everyone is from the US.  So, your free speech argument has no solid ground to stand on.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson

Well said. +1

horseshit.

Again, you seem to miss the whole point here.  Forums, steam etc.  Are private forums/games.  Your free speech entitlement is misplaced.  Not to mention, not everyone is from the US.  So, your free speech argument has no solid ground to stand on.

free speech is more of a concept then it is a legal piece of paper.

what you are saying is that zenimax doesnt support free speech. I get that. 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

Well said. +1

horseshit.

No. What they don't support is people posting topics such as, "Where do I place my bets for when the game goes F2P" threads, as well people posting general misinformation, lies, troll posts, flame baits, etc. etc. etc. in mass. I'm sorry you don't agree, but the vast majority of negative posts consisted of the former. There were VERY few well constructed negative posts. 

I find it likely that access will open back up once things have settled down. 

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Zenimax doesn't support free speech.

No company (especially those that release AAA console or online games) will ever support that level of freedom of speech with little to no restrictions. Should anyone be surprised about this?

Note that I specifically stated companies that release AAA titles and not some 3rd rate Asian game that has no forum moderation (due to lack of money or interest from said company) and then shuts down in a year or less here in the U.S.

horseshit.

Criticism is easy to see, troll bait is easy to see, there's no misinterpretation between the two what so ever.

I don't like this because :insert reasoning, and constructive critique:= Criticism

Anything else is typically sensationalism, trolling or both.

When it comes to ESO it usually boils down to "it's not TES!".... There's nothing constructive or informative there. Everyone already knows that.,... ESO is it's own thing and is not an entry into the franchise's long standing single player incarnation. Rambling about this subject tells a person nothing of what ESO actually is, how it stands on it's own or anything else related to that. Nor does saying things like DF is the true ESO!!!" or TES online is possible... Which is exactly what folks like you would be doing. As that's what you do here.

Edit to add, yes it makes perfect sense, the goal is to sell the game, not offer a platform to tear it down.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Steam is trying to make money from ESO, no reason for them to provide a forum for discussion to anyone who isn't a paying customer. Reducing the negative feedback makes good business sense really.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Well said. +1

horseshit.

You must be new to forums and mmos.  If you are, then I suppose I can see why you think this way.

• DhaenonDhaenon Member UncommonPosts: 150

ESO just feels like a money grab. This disappoints me. A lot of people agree, and they hate the game and the company for doing that. EXAMPLE!

The cost of the very first mount.

WOW, 5g

Wildstar, 10g

LOTRO, 500 silver

ESO, 17,200g

OR you can upgrade to the Imperial Edition ($$$) to get a free horse. 

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Originally posted by Dhaenon

ESO just feels like a money grab. This disappoints me. A lot of people agree, and they hate the game and the company for doing that. EXAMPLE!

WOW, 5g

Wildstar, 10g

LOTRO, 500 silver

ESO, 17,200g

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Isn't the biggest complaint today in games, they give everything away to easily? Almost everything I saw in ESO during beta anyway had pretty high costs, bag space as an example. Yet that's not sold in a shop is it?

LOTRO and WOW sell mounts don't they? DOn't most games offer pre-order incentives and enhanced editions with special items for paying extra or early?  I am not saying it's not a cash grab, but I'd also say every company is doing this today. Look at these $100+ early access deals popping up every other day.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    it is ok, if wish to talking about game positive or negative you must to pay

WOW, 5g

Wildstar, 10g

LOTRO, 500 silver

ESO, 17,200g

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Except that I had 900k gold in ESO in about 3 weeks ... And I think I remember mount around 100g when they first came out in WOW and you also had to pay  for a skill to ride .. I remember it taking all my money.  You can't just compare price in different game without context.

But in the end, all games are money grab.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Is there any other steam game that has locked down it's forums?  

So players who are thinking of buying the game can't ask questions.  

Players who have the non-steam game can't help new players or offer suggestions.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Originally posted by Octagon7711

Players who have the non-steam game can't help new players or offer suggestions.

I actually think they should do it for every game. Would filter so much crap.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

WOW, 5g

Wildstar, 10g

LOTRO, 500 silver

ESO, 17,200g

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I had to smile during the ESO Twitch when they showed you would be able to steal stuff and stated that everything now has value, one gold coin each, so generous.  :-)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Originally posted by Octagon7711

I doubt this is the first time Steam has done this, they've also been pretty good about customer relation over the years, look at what they did to that WAR Z game based on user feedback.

I seriously doubt they'd allow this if they felt there wasn't a good reason for it.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

The forums are still available for people to read. And restricting posting to those who have bought the game is nothing new in general (not sure about on Steam). Presumably those who have bought it via Steam as well - maybe retail but that opens up possibilities of keys being used again. And maybe just bought rather than subscribe to as that would add a level of complexity.

In addition to the forum comments of course what you can - currently - see are numbers. 

2 in group chat as I type - so the block isn't really impacting many people either. And just 1,907 in game via Steam .... with just under 44k playing Skyrim ....

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Its funny watching people get all bent out of shape over this.