Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Is ESO Worth Buying?

Comments

• TykuneTykune Member Posts: 5

I would like to start out by saying that I am very disappointed in this group of commenters. As I scroll down through the first few pages of what people say about the game, I can only feel more and more insulted that people would not see what is great about Elder Scrolls Online rather than pointing what they feel, that's right, opinionated, that is wrong with the game. Bugs and glitches? The game just came out, expect it. And expect them to be fixed as time progresses. Mediocre quality game? Bullcrap. I have played several f2p games from various companies.. Aeria Games, Perfect World, gPotatoe.. you name it, but as I've made it to Veteran Level in the game, I can assure you that you will NEVER find such quality content in any f2p game. Point out any free to play game that has lore going all the way back to the 90's and I assure you, short of WoW with is still subscription based, you will not find anything else. No where will you find those small things such as lorebooks, quality sound and animations, real voice actors, or even the quality of graphics this MMO offers compared to others.

Not only is the gameplay quite terrific and very much in-line to the Elder Scrolls lore, the PvP the game offers is nothing short of innovative and a standard that most games should pick up. I am not talking about the zergs that players produce, but the quests, little hidden tid-bits, easter eggs, and functionality of the entire campaign map you will not find anywhere else. Period.

I would also love to mention, that out of all the games that I've been through, Elder Scrolls Online would be the only game I would actually ever support in progressing and becoming something huge for the SOLE fact that ZeniMax actually listens to their community and looks at every single feedback that is sent to them. The fact that they are remaking the entirety of the veteran levels due to player dislike is a huge thing, and nothing to be looked over. There are so few MMO gaming companies out there that actually look to their player base to improve their game, rather than smugly believing they know what is best for the players.

In conclusion, I am appalled by the comments I've seen here and I surely hope that ESO never becomes free to play, and in fact, I will support it thoroughly and I am certain plenty of other people will support it through the many months and years to come. The MMO may of had some trips and stumbles in its launch, but the potential this MMO possesses is huge and the more dedicated players, the ones who paid money to support the game, who will continue to pay, and want to see it flourish into something great, will surely see that through.

• Arkangel32Arkangel32 Member UncommonPosts: 83

Yes - Worth buying.

Simple:  Who this game is for

-This game is full of TONS of quests, yes 3 factions = 3 worlds of questing...  If you like being part of stories and making decisions, then this is for you.

-Combat system is IMO the most fun combat I have experienced in an MMO.  Every time I log in I just love the combat!

-Graphics, amazing!

-PVP?  I play this game for the questing and crafting.   I will play a different game that is specifically for pvp when I want a real pvp experience.  (Not big on PVP in MMOs, my own opion)

Simple: Who wont like this game?

- People who only care about getting to end game as fast as they can, max level, best gear etc...

Any game is what YOU make of it with your attitude.

Games should be about enjoying the ride on the way to the end.

ESO was made for people to enjoy the questing, envelope you in their world, make you feel like your in their world, with the sounds, and visuals then finally the awesome voice acting and combat and moral choices.  Just amazing!

If you just click through the quest conversations/stories which are meant to be enjoyed as the main concept of the game, then you are missing the entire point for ESO.  Go play another game that has meaning less collection quests and stop complaining.

If your just playing to get to the end and do not enjoy the ride, then ask yourself... why do you even play?

It is worth buying, they did a great job creating this amazing world for people to enjoy.  

Take your time, enjoy the quests, and have fun choosing your skills and using them.  

Enjoy the ride to the end for a change.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Worth Buying? No

I dont even think it was worth Making.

This is pretty much a cold hard truth.

Do some people like ESO? Sure. You can make anything in this world and you will find some people who like it. The term, "One persons trash is another persons treasure", holds true, especially to ESO.

Originally posted by Tykune

I would like to start out by saying that I am very disappointed in this group of commenters. As I scroll down through the first few pages of what people say about the game, I can only feel more and more insulted that people would not see what is great about Elder Scrolls Online rather than pointing what they feel, that's right, opinionated, that is wrong with the game. Bugs and glitches? The game just came out, expect it. And expect them to be fixed as time progresses. Mediocre quality game? Bullcrap. I have played several f2p games from various companies.. Aeria Games, Perfect World, gPotatoe.. you name it, but as I've made it to Veteran Level in the game, I can assure you that you will NEVER find such quality content in any f2p game. Point out any free to play game that has lore going all the way back to the 90's and I assure you, short of WoW with is still subscription based, you will not find anything else. No where will you find those small things such as lorebooks, quality sound and animations, real voice actors, or even the quality of graphics this MMO offers compared to others.

Not only is the gameplay quite terrific and very much in-line to the Elder Scrolls lore, the PvP the game offers is nothing short of innovative and a standard that most games should pick up. I am not talking about the zergs that players produce, but the quests, little hidden tid-bits, easter eggs, and functionality of the entire campaign map you will not find anywhere else. Period.

I would also love to mention, that out of all the games that I've been through, Elder Scrolls Online would be the only game I would actually ever support in progressing and becoming something huge for the SOLE fact that ZeniMax actually listens to their community and looks at every single feedback that is sent to them. The fact that they are remaking the entirety of the veteran levels due to player dislike is a huge thing, and nothing to be looked over. There are so few MMO gaming companies out there that actually look to their player base to improve their game, rather than smugly believing they know what is best for the players.

In conclusion, I am appalled by the comments I've seen here and I surely hope that ESO never becomes free to play, and in fact, I will support it thoroughly and I am certain plenty of other people will support it through the many months and years to come. The MMO may of had some trips and stumbles in its launch, but the potential this MMO possesses is huge and the more dedicated players, the ones who paid money to support the game, who will continue to pay, and want to see it flourish into something great, will surely see that through.

Agree, we are living in a day and age where hard work and amazing result are not appreciated.  

Sadly these people seem like they do not know themselves or what they enjoy.  

Majority of the complainers played this game for the PVP and just clicked through the main content questing and got to the end and disappointed themselves, wondering where the content is after they just passed it all up...

OR

They bought the game not understanding the history of the past Elder Scroll games and what they were about, no wonder they cannot appreciate ESO and who it was meant to please.

2 choices, Enjoy the questing because it is the main focus in ESO, or don't.  

Originally posted by Arkangel32
    Originally posted by Tykune

Agree, we are living in a day and age where hard work and amazing result are not appreciated.  

Sadly these people seem like they do not know themselves or what they enjoy.  

Majority of the complainers played this game for the PVP and just clicked through the main content questing and got to the end and disappointed themselves, wondering where the content is after they just passed it all up...

OR

They bought the game not understanding the history of the past Elder Scroll games and what they were about, no wonder they cannot appreciate ESO and who it was meant to please.

2 choices, Enjoy the questing because it is the main focus in ESO, or don't.  

Indeed.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Originally posted by Joeyjojoshabadu
    Originally posted by Scot

You only have to see the players online and be in a guild to know it is worth buying. The content locusts have moved on, thank the divines, but they still find time to post against TESO. When will the MMO community learn you can never please a locust?

Oh and do I need to learn how to use my red colouring pencil as well? :)

It's easier to marginalise a fairly stated viewpoint using negative labels, rather than a thoughtful rebuttal. Fairly typical behaviour though, unfortunately.

BTW, I think crayon would be more your style. :-)

Indeed it is a label, but I have done posts elsewhere going into this more deeply, not going to repeat myself again. I am not sure if you are a content locust, as I get the impression you have not found another MMO as yet. The locusts don't tend to leave until the next meal is at least in sight.

As to you your position being thoughtful, perhaps, but it has been a thoughtful bash since you joined this site. The idea of joining a site to relentlessly post against the last MMO you played seems odd to me. But each to his own.

It would seem I may need a yellow crayon as well. :)

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I agree the game is worth buying but you will get bored after a month so don't sub.

I am finished with subs. most mmos bore me after the initial hype and wildstar is the first AAA I gave a skip all the mmos are the same all flash no substance and ESO screwed up elders scrolls.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    From what people who have played tell me, the box and subscription cost exceed the game value in terms of quality, content, and fun factor.

Maybe if Zenith paid me to play, to help keep player population up?
    Originally posted by handlewithcare

I agree the game is worth buying but you will get bored after a month so don't sub.

I am finished with subs. most mmos bore me after the initial hype and wildstar is the first AAA I gave a skip all the mmos are the same all flash no substance and ESO screwed up elders scrolls.

I fail to see where they screwed up Elder Scrolls.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Overhauling a bunch of the content makes it worth paying for?  

Jesus, that is by far the most flagrant fanboy nonsense this guys written yet. 

Article one: its a good game, people just don't understand. 

Article two: the games not dying, I swear! 

Article three: the players don't like the content so they're changing it, you should give them money. 

Who the hell is trolling who here?  

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

You only have to see the players online and be in a guild to know it is worth buying. The content locusts have moved on, thank the divines, but they still find time to post against TESO. When will the MMO community learn you can never please a locust?

It's easier to marginalise a fairly stated viewpoint using negative labels, rather than a thoughtful rebuttal. Fairly typical behaviour though, unfortunately.

Indeed it is a label, but I have done posts elsewhere going into this more deeply, not going to repeat myself again. I am not sure if you are a content locust, as I get the impression you have not found another MMO as yet. The locusts don't tend to leave until the next meal is at least in sight.

As to you your position being thoughtful, perhaps, but it has been a thoughtful bash since you joined this site. The idea of joining a site to relentlessly post against the last MMO you played seems odd to me. But each to his own.

Around the same time they learn you can't argue with an irrational fanboy?  

Like one that repeatedly spouts that the people who don't like the game are just content locusts, high atop a horse he paid extra for.  

Originally posted by Uhwop

Around the same time they learn you can't argue with an irrational fanboy?  

Like one that repeatedly spouts that the people who don't like the game are just content locusts, high atop a horse he paid extra for.  

Now now.. dont be like one of those X-Box One fanboys who refuse to accept that PS4 is the superior system.

Like I stated in my post, the MMO just started up about four months ago and it will be going through a lot of changes over the next several months to improve on their content and system, mostly revamping and retuning to the player base's liking. Some MMO companies cant even say that they would go that far for their players.

Those who support ESO are exactly that, supporters. They give their hard earned money to make the game better, and to improve on their experience. Just because an MMO is unlike most other MMOs, does not mean it is bad. It is different, for good or for worse. As far as anyone says about the game, it is just plain opinion. People will like it, others will hate it.

I can say for certain that ESO focuses around lore, story, and casual fun.. which some will like, others will just zip through it and give themselves nothing to do at the end.

The developers are not machines that can spew out content every week, as it takes time to provide quality content to players.

• BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321

I don't it's worth the pricetag at all.. 60 bucks np. A script no.. even a 60 bucks price tag with a cosmetic cash shop works. I've been apart of script based games and I really don't think this is good enough to be script based..

They built the model expecting tons of guaranteed money from a script each month from tons of people, so if it does go Free 2 play so most likely it's going to be pay to win. 

Originally posted by ChaoticWake

I don't it's worth the pricetag at all.. 60 bucks np. A script no.. even a 60 bucks price tag with a cosmetic cash shop works. I've been apart of script based games and I really don't think this is good enough to be script based..

They built the model expecting tons of guaranteed money from a script each month from tons of people, so if it does go Free 2 play so most likely it's going to be pay to win. 

It wont go free to play.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Article three: the players don't like the content so they're changing it, you should give them money. 

Got to agree.

Buy this <<insert product>> e.g. car, it has faults but they are working on the issues and there will be a recall in some months time - duh.

Suggest that TESO is a great product, going from strength to strength - fine. That is an opinion that can be debated. To suggest that something is broken but you should buy it anyway - what?

The impression you get is that Zenimax have no faith in the design decisions they have made and are scrambling to change anything and everything prior to the console launch.

• 3 month PvP campaign - change it;
    • PvP exp - increase it, increase it again and who knows probably increase it some more;
    • 50+ and 50++ VR stuff - changes underway;
    • provisioning - changes outlined;
    • buying and selling - changes outlined
    And so on. The changes are starting to look like a wholesale slaughter of the game as launched.

If they opt to change the business model when they launch the console version - who knows. As a sub based game however a decline in the number of subs is the norm. None of these changes are going to reverse that trend - they might make it worse; not everybody is happy about e,g. the suggested provisioning changes for example.
  • nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Worth buying?  Depends what you expect and how much you value money. 

IMO I am loving it. I avoided it because of the bad press and went for wildstar, ended up trying out TESO and am really enjoying it. First time in a decade I've actually enjoyed just mooching around, taking in the scenery and enjoying the story.

It's safe to say if you read any forum like this more of it will be negative most of the time, regardless of the game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by gervaise1

The impression you get is that Zenimax have no faith in the design decisions they have made and are scrambling to change anything and everything prior to the console launch.

• 3 month PvP campaign - change it; ADDED 3 different type of Campaigs
    • PvP exp - increase it, increase it again and who knows probably increase it some more; ADDED more XP
    • 50+ and 50++ VR stuff - changes underway 
    • provisioning - changes outlined; ADDED to the system 
    • buying and selling - changes outlined ADDED to system

Soo adding more features and making systems more robust = change and that's bad? cmon guys.. lol Look at this provisioning stuff. It's fricken awesome! Only on mmorpg.com could this be made into a bad thing image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Ides385Ides385 Member UncommonPosts: 82

Pre-ordered and been subbed since. Never regretted it. Also never seen a game get so much negative pub for the quality it has. The epic scale, immense depth, freedom to challenge yourself, modern graphics, detailed content and great atmosphere keep me coming back. Through all this time, I still have a lot I've yet to do. This is after reaching VR9 and finishing the 50++ storyline (and an alt to 40). I still have plenty to do in the zones when I want to solo.

I have some things I really don't like. Leveling (practically) requires questing and zones are to easy even when soloed. I have to skip content simply because it gets dull when you can just stand there and spam a button. When you get challenged the depth of the game really comes through. A great mesh of strategy and action combat.

I haven't ran into class balancing issues. I don't play PvP a lot, but I look at the leader boards and see a good mix of classes.

I think the game will really come alive with the thieves guild and dark brotherhood expansions. ES always had a dark side that is missing in this game.

Basically

If your interested and have 75 bucks to spare buy it and play for a month. Try to dig into the depth and make fun classes. Enjoy the content don't just click through it. I would actually recommend holding off joining a guild at first. Just pug your groups. Later you'll want to be more coordinated for more difficult content. Guilds will just distract you early on. The game is very immersive solo. Join all the trade guilds you can though.

If you can't get into the game your probably more of a grind it out for gear type, or its just not your style. Which is fine because this is a more involving game. The number crunching and elitest challenges are there (group dungeons are top notch), but some of my best memories are quests with great stories.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    For me, its a case of playing the waiting game. At the moment, the game isn't worth investing time or money into, but in 8 -12 months, it may well have enough fixes and features added that it will be worth taking another look at. Until then, i have plenty of other games to play.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by nikoliath

IMO I am loving it. I avoided it because of the bad press and went for wildstar, ended up trying out TESO and am really enjoying it. First time in a decade I've actually enjoyed just mooching around, taking in the scenery and enjoying the story.

It's safe to say if you read any forum like this more of it will be negative most of the time, regardless of the game.

All too true, but I still get the feeling that waiting until this autumn is good for anyone unsure.

They seems to be changing a lot of things for the console launch the next few months and that is probably just as well but I have the feeling the game will be a better game at that time.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by nikoliath

All too true, but I still get the feeling that waiting until this autumn is good for anyone unsure.

They seems to be changing a lot of things for the console launch the next few months and that is probably just as well but I have the feeling the game will be a better game at that time.

Yes I think by console release we will see the finished product. I don't regret my money spent either, even when I took a month or so off and burned my sub.

Also people who say they can't justify "renting" a game and they want to feel like they "own" a game. Those days are long gone unless you have a physical copy and even that copy isn't going to continue working on newer operating systems without patching. When you play an MMO you are on the company's server, if the company goes under you lose everything.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    This whole article is one big Apologetic. If that isn't a huge red flag, I don't know what is.
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Lol, I love gamers today.. They keep saying if it goes F2P.!!!   I love being in this industry/.... Do you people realize when a game goesF2P, your paying more for the game!!!!! Look at LOTR and SWTOR, they are making a ton more..... This also ruins the communitys, most are full of people that ruin community's...

I don't get gamers today they want a game to do F2P and they end up paying more than 15 bucks a month to play the way they want to.. Any F2P game I have played, I end up spending more, so I sub anyways if they have it, as I have heard watch so many people pay more . I hear some people pay 50 bucks a month for LOTR.. To funny....  People really think FTP is cheaper than a 15 dollar a month sub..

the devs laugh at you all the way to the bank......  I don't understand any of you and your free to play, only way you can play for free, if you play the bare min of a game... That is not really playing the game....... If gamers are happy with that, I feel sorry for you, because that is not what an MMO is.... 

F2P is trash, and had ruined communitys and the meaning of friendship and guilds, and good communitys....  Give it a few years I will be back to say I told you so...

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Lol, I love gamers today.. They keep saying if it goes F2P.!!!   I love being in this industry/.... Do you people realize when a game goesF2P, your paying more for the game!!!!! Look at LOTR and SWTOR, they are making a ton more..... This also ruins the communitys, most are full of people that ruin community's...

I don't get gamers today they want a game to do F2P and they end up paying more than 15 bucks a month to play the way they want to.. Any F2P game I have played, I end up spending more, so I sub anyways if they have it, as I have heard watch so many people pay more . I hear some people pay 50 bucks a month for LOTR.. To funny....  People really think FTP is cheaper than a 15 dollar a month sub..

the devs laugh at you all the way to the bank......  I don't understand any of you and your free to play, only way you can play for free, if you play the bare min of a game... That is not really playing the game....... If gamers are happy with that, I feel sorry for you, because that is not what an MMO is.... 

F2P is trash, and had ruined communitys and the meaning of friendship and guilds, and good communitys....  Give it a few years I will be back to say I told you so...

There are lots of gamers out there who feel entitled to play for free. Be it solo games they want hacked or MMOs that can be F2P, so as far as they are concerned should all be F2P. Others just like the idea of free to try before you buy. This desire which has become an expectation has led to poorly funded MMOs which struggle to give the player a solid game and instead give them a rat run with quest hubs, often with graphics from yesteryear.

If you pay less or nothing, you get less or nothing.