Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are Niche MMO Communities The Best? Player talk about Darkfall Community

mmoesportsmmoesports TokyoPosts: 161Member Uncommon

Here is a video a new player created about this experience dealing with the Darkfall community.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 14,247Member Rare

Smaller communities definitely tend to have far more collaboration and civility. This is true of both games and real life. The problem with mainstream games isn't that they have large communities, but that they try to force those communities into one big pile rather than offer mechanics to let the communities divide into smaller groups. It's counter-productive and flies in the face of how people are wired.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Vimont, QCPosts: 1,619Member Uncommon

Yes coz you have to interact with the players. You can't solo in a niche mmo like DF, there's no BG or arena and you need an easy access to buy back what you want. You need a sufficient amount of friends to participate in all activities. Since interaction is the Keyblade, Voip programs like ventrilo are a must and you can't trust players you don't know because of the FFA and full loot nature of the game. In a niche mmo, when a theme park feature is present, you and your clan will have to compete to win that ride of the day.

In a game like wow, the community is as good as the community you see when you enter a theme park in real life. You see a lot of peeps everywhere, but you don't know them, they don't attack you, they don't have to talk with you since you are nobody for them. You step in a ride and suddenly, 20 others follows you, but you don't know them. The ride is over and you go in the next one.

So the difference is that in a niche, you have to make friends to survive. In a them park, the solo part is not a real solo experience and you don't feel like you're in the jungle, in danger at all moments. 

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• HolophonistHolophonist Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 2,086Member Uncommon
    I'd assume that yes, they would tend to be better. I guess it depends on your definition of better, but a smaller, more niche community is probably going to be more personal (everybody knows each other) and there is more accountability (everybody remembers what stupid shit you said in global the other day.... Jeff).
  • langstondoglangstondog Cedar Rapids, IAPosts: 20Member Common
    Niche communities, yes. Hardcore, no.
  • ryvendarkryvendark vancouver, BCPosts: 141Member
    Communities in games that have had all the tourists leave are always better. These new AAA mmos that just launch and have all the haters in them still looking for reasons to dislike the game are just not even worth getting involved in. After the " mass exodus" and they all leave to go back under their forum bridge and troll, leaves behind the people that like the game and want to be involved in it.
  • ScambugScambug TortugaPosts: 405Member Uncommon

DF has been struggling with low pop since the start so everyone puts on their best behaviour when a new face shows up, they want that new player to stay.

Beyond that DF is also a full loot PvP game so naturally it'll have more socializing and player cooperation than your average brain dead themepark that can be played solo from start to finish.

• I have not posted on this forum in years, but I felt the need to at least recognize something about this game on here. Overall, I think niche communities have been the best in my opinion. People do nothing but complain on these forums, but for me this game has been amazing. I've only had a few truly captivating experiences in mmorpg's and Darkfall has been one of them. I've played countless mmo titles with very few sparking much of anything. Darkfall actually felt adventurous to me and the community means something. The friendships feel real and the enemies are despised. Only game I am even considering trying out at this point is Archeage once it releases, but for now D:UO is definitely it.