Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My take on ArcheAge after playing

124»

Comments

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Greymantle4

Have to say it's pretty bland so far with it leading you around by the nose with zero freedom. It  makes me feel like a child with all the huge quest markers and arrows on the ground telling me which way to go.   I also find the labor points very restrictive and see no purpose for them other than to keep me from doing what I want to do.

You find them very restrictive yet you haven't actually run out of labor?

Zero freedom?  They're just quests, go wherever you want.

Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Unfortunately you really do have to get to 30 to really start to experience the best this game has to offer.

That is not a good thing at all since it can turn away many people who would otherwise enjoy it, particularly if they add a free trial after launch.... It also tend to lower the review scores at many sites.

But I guess it isn't really bad, it is fixable without revamping the game or anything.

"No fun until 30" is just one poster's opinion, a poster who is PVP-oriented.

Originally posted by mithoss
    what id like to know what exactly they achieved with cryengine 3. the game looks old. Also, i do get a constant feeling i'm playing Aion (maybe its the engine...). Anyway, rather bland and boring.

Ocean water and collision physics.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by dandurin

Have to say it's pretty bland so far with it leading you around by the nose with zero freedom. It  makes me feel like a child with all the huge quest markers and arrows on the ground telling me which way to go.   I also find the labor points very restrictive and see no purpose for them other than to keep me from doing what I want to do.

Zero freedom?  They're just quests, go wherever you want.

The dev team should've indicated this within the game then.  When you start, there's questgivers right in front of you.  If they didn't want Archeage as a primary questing game, they should've explained all the different aspects of the game before one quest was shown.  They didn't though, hence you're getting people calling it another questing-hub mmo, righfully so.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by dandurin

Restrictive as in I had 38 labor points with a few loot items that cost 5 labor points each to identify and I wanted to start crafting. It felt restrictive because I was worried about not having enough to craft if I used my labor points to open the loot.  I don't understand why I need labor points to identify loot in the first place. The whole system should be thrown out IMHO.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

Tried it very hard, but cannot get this out of my mind:

- Just another one hyped asian trash that will be forgotten in 3 months after release.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by negativf4kk
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Here is my take on ArcheAge using a point system.

The majority of the items are just my view point and in fact some items others might give a +1 instead of a -1 but most of those are simply due to preference.

+2 Can build ships

+3 Ship Combat

+2 Diving/underwater treasure hunting

+3 Extensive crafting

+2 Housing with meaning

+3 seiges?

-1 No realistically usable 1st person view

-1 Tab targetting button mashing combat

how many classes  u have actuly got to lvl50?

-1 combat popups kill immersion and makes it feel like I am playing an arcade game

-1 Predictable standard mobs and static spawns

-2 zones feel like zones, exploring doesnt ‘feel’ like its something you are supposed to be doing without an objective.

go and explore. what objective do u need? there is no hidden walls and if u c something in a horizont u can get there.

-3 questing on mob quests gives considerably more XP reward than other methods.

only on low to mid lvls. Craftinf still bring more xp over time spend

-2 despite graphics engine the game looks/feels like a game made for adolescent boys

compared to some games on a market the female charecters r pretty much covered

-3 Housing/Farming lots look completely ridiculous

In every single way (other than the items listed in + which are near in game features) the game feels and looks like a themepark.

Given the near end game features I would continue to play if there were not currently better options in the market place for such features.

rage on.

let me guess you just managed to get to lvl 25, maybe 30?

20 and its painful.

perhaps what some developers didnt understand is that many of us want the post lvl 30 game as a stand alone game. 

Might I suggest playing a FPS or a MOBA then?  Progression is, and will always remain a part of RPG's in general and MMO's in particular.  While I don't think AA's progression is good, it is robust enough, open enough, large enough to satiate my explorer's heart.  Might I might add much better then ESO ever did.  And even though I dislike tab target combat immensely, AA's combat is fast and the combo system is superb which allows highly customizable character classes.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• raggnirraggnir Member UncommonPosts: 51

a stupid review from a person that played the game for less than 2 minutes and then came show himself and make people think he is some tough shit on some random forums because well.... he has nothing better to do.

i have played for ....8 months this game. and i can say that all the garbage in that post is just plain bullshit, so let's wash some of that and try to change that guy's delusions into facts:

1- you are obviously a carebear.

+2 Can build ships

+3 Ship Combat

+2 Diving/underwater treasure hunting

+3 Extensive crafting

2- you didn't try any of this shit.

+2 Housing with meaning

3- meaning? yeah force you to pay.

+3 seiges?

4-did you try em? nope you didn't. sieges are well designed but not for carebears.

-1 No realistically usable 1st person view

5-so this comment in just mindboggling. a 1st person view with a tab combat style game, much though there, we have got a genius here. you could as well say -1 because it's not the elder scrolls.

-1 Tab targetting button mashing combat

6-so the extensive and fun and intriguing and interesting and amazing class system is reduced to this: a tab targetting.

-1 combat popups kill immersion and makes it feel like I am playing an arcade game

7-this is not a carebear pve game, shove that up your.. well you know. no immersion: you rape or get raped.

-1 Predictable standard mobs and static spawns

8-again, not for pve.

-2 zones feel like zones, exploring doesnt ‘feel’ like its something you are supposed to be doing without an objective.

9-open world, did you ever see a moutain blocking your view and feel depressed? because i think you are a clostrophobe.

-3 questing on mob quests gives considerably more XP reward than other methods.

10- this proves  you did not craft a single object past lvl 10.

11-  +99 HUGE and FUN pvp system.

12-  +99 trading system, you go sell your shit in some far away place overseas and if you get robbed , too bad for you.

13-  +99 [type here]

-2 despite graphics engine the game looks/feels like a game made for adolescent boys

-3 Housing/Farming lots look completely ridiculous

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    If you need 30 levels to A) Make your game fun and/or B) Show your new players a few features.  You are doing something seriously wrong. The run to 30 doesn't bother me near as much as AA's combat. It just doesn't flow well for me. I found it odd that FF:ARR got blasted for their GCD on skills, but no mentions of AA's. Playing a melee for me in AA is just painful and slow. The individual animations for the skills look fine, but when you start trying to string them along, it just looks really out of place. The "hit" sounds aren't good either simply put it sounds horrible.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.