Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Do you accept newbie zone exceptions?

jpnzjpnz SydneyPosts: 3,529Member

Over at the website 'The Mittani' (http://themittani.com/), there was an article by 'The Mittani' on newbie zones in EVE Online;

http://themittani.com/content/traffic-control-newbie-zone

It is opinion piece that 'for the good of the game' new players deserves an exception to the cut-throat nature of EVE online.

For those who play EVE, it is a decisive opinion to have. EVE is famous for having a learning curve that is more akin to a cliff with molten hot lava pouring from the top and only those who 'brave' the elements are worthy to play the game.

It also goes against the whole 'give us worlds not a game' vision that pro-sandbox players have in this forum.

So lets discuss, if CCP or any other game company sacrifices their vision of 'creating worlds / sandbox elements' for newbies, are you okay with it?

If your mantra in this forum is 'give us worlds', do you think it is acceptable for exceptions to be made for new players?

It technically breaks the whole 'world' aspect and is that okay? Or is it not okay and you'd rather have a whole cohesive world where the same rules apply?

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,672Member Uncommon
    Most games do that to one degree or another. It's very common in themepark-style MMOs, so it makes sense to have it in MMOs that require a greater learning curve. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• QuesaQuesa Sacramento, CAPosts: 1,246Member

For those interested in the infamous images floated around years ago regarding the learning curve:

If you look at the first comment after the entire post, I think it would work out much better than handing out exceptions to newer players:

From a lore/blah perspective, an EVE newbie zone dosn't even need to be in "Real" systems, just have the whole shebang set inside "simulator spaces", hidden from view in the same way we can't see wormhole systems on the map.

Then, at the end of the tutorial toss all the newbies into racially aligned teams and into a 4-way newbie-ship bloodbath in a simulated 0.0 system at the end of the tutorial experience, with their final tutorial objecive: DIE (While explaining how self-destruct, clone updates etc, work).

Then, after they die at the hands of another fresh newbie or self-destruct their pod, they wake up in the real bit of EVE.

I think a lot of the decisions that went into the NPE (new player experience) was first and foremost to impress upon the players that New Eden is a harsh and unforgiving place.  There isn't anything wrong with that but I would agree that it's a little abrupt and could use some finesse in order to more gently integrate new players into this type of game world.

They have made a lot of improvements to the NPE from removing learning skills, which dramatically reduced the amount of time needed to enter the real game, to re-working the tutorial for new players including a mission in which you cannot win and inevitably die, thus teaching new players how to feel/react to ship destruction.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,672Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Quesa

If you look at the first comment after the entire post, I think it would work out much better than handing out exceptions to newer players:

From a lore/blah perspective, an EVE newbie zone dosn't even need to be in "Real" systems, just have the whole shebang set inside "simulator spaces", hidden from view in the same way we can't see wormhole systems on the map.

Then, at the end of the tutorial toss all the newbies into racially aligned teams and into a 4-way newbie-ship bloodbath in a simulated 0.0 system at the end of the tutorial experience, with their final tutorial objecive: DIE (While explaining how self-destruct, clone updates etc, work).

Then, after they die at the hands of another fresh newbie or self-destruct their pod, they wake up in the real bit of EVE.

Dransik/Ashen Empires had a new player experience like that. It was it's own island and players left it for the real world once they reached a certain level or felt comfortable moving on. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Columbus, OHPosts: 878Member Uncommon

Or maybe Mittani could have his corp stop constantly acting like a bunch of toxic assholes to newbies... and everybody else, for that matter? There's a thought. 

CCP has already sacrificed much of their 'vision' to keep the current narrow-minded player base happy, and they also do pretty much whatever the Goons want them to. In other words, I smell a newbie zone incoming, though I'm sure he and his ilk will be right there camping its exit.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

• QuesaQuesa Sacramento, CAPosts: 1,246Member
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Or maybe Mittani could have his corp stop constantly acting like a bunch of toxic assholes to newbies... and everybody else, for that matter? There's a thought. 

CCP has already sacrificed much of their 'vision' to keep the current narrow-minded player base happy, and they also do pretty much whatever the Goons want them to. In other words, I smell a newbie zone incoming, though I'm sure he and his ilk will be right there camping its exit.

Explain or give examples of how CCP has sacrificed their vision to keep Goons happy?