Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

No. 1: Can I play this MMORPG on my computer?

ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common

First question I ask about a new MMORPG:

Me:  Can I play this MMORPG on my computer?

Dev's:  You mean minimum specs?

Me:  No, can I play this MMORPG on my computer?

Dev's:  I'd have to see your system.

Me:  You don't understand, can I play this MMORPG on my computer?

Dev's:  Not sure I get what you mean.

Me:  Does this MMORPG have enough player freedom to where I can play it, instead of it being designed in such a linear fashion that you are practically playing if for me.  SO, can I play this MMORPG on my computer?

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,905Member Uncommon
    NO MMO I've ever tried is as linear as you're making out. The first rule of good discussion is honesty.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common
    Originally posted by Distopia
    NO MMO I've ever tried is as linear as you're making out. The first rule of good discussion is honesty.

I remember playing Age of Conan when it first came out and being unable to pass a tied up woman blocking a forest path until I did some quest I didn't want to do.  Tell me how a tied up NPC can keep you from stepping around them.  Please, I'm  not getting it.

So, yes, some MMORPG's are surprisingly linear, at least in some spots.

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

I remember playing Age of Conan when it first came out and being unable to pass a tied up woman blocking a forest path until I did some quest I didn't want to do.  Tell me how a tied up NPC can keep you from stepping around them.  Please, I'm  not getting it.

Yes you have to play the game to get through that spot. :)

WHen I first played SWG in 03 I had to sit through a word scroll and then use a terminal before I could get to a planet and actually play the game.

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common

Why?  Why is it important I navigate a scene?  I should be able to walk right past.  In fact, I should be able to step off the forest path and slog through the woods (which I can't because of invisible barriers).

Player freedom is the answer.  Player freedom, with consequences of course.  If I discount warnings the tied up NPC might tell me, then perhaps this creates some risks later on.  Fine with that. 

But, forcing folks to act out dramatic scenes just for the dev's is not good game design.  That's like having a chess game, where the first five moves are pre-planned, and they only give you the freedom to make choices every few subsequent moves.  Just bad design.

Why?  Why is it important I navigate a scene?  I should be able to walk right past.  In fact, I should be able to step off the forest path and slog through the woods (which I can't because of invisible barriers).

Player freedom is the answer.  Player freedom, with consequences of course.  If I discount warnings the tied up NPC might tell me, then perhaps this creates some risks later on.  Fine with that. 

But, forcing folks to act out dramatic scenes just for the dev's is not good game design.  That's like having a chess game, where the first five moves are pre-planned, and they only give you the freedom to make choices every few subsequent moves.  Just bad design.

I'd correct most of what you just said with a simple depends on what you yourself want from a game, I like playing through such scenes at times, depends on the game really for me.

I wouldn't call it bad game design. Linearity serves it's own purpose in a game driven by story. IN AOC's case all of that was meant to be a SIngle-player experience from the start, all of tortage was actually. Feedback drove them to make it Multi-player.

• TeccaTecca Albuquerque, NMPosts: 7Member

I understand where you're coming from, OP, and I'd like the same freedom in games as well. But we have to understand that what you want takes a lot of time. So in AoC, we're able to pass this chick without helping her. Where does the story lead us now? A new, linear path for us to make a second choice. So we choose a different option in the second path and we're lead to yet another story. What happens now? Something else with more choices, even possibly more than two.

Now take that and multiply it by about two hundred times. How much development and scripting will this take a dev team? How long will all of this take? What will become of the story's quality when you need to add so much based off of player choice? Based off of which path a player chooses to take?

Game developers know that there are people like us that want content like this. But it's just not going to happen outside of single players games with limited content and very little to no expansions/DLC. MMOs are a different beast, and they take a considerable amount of time to develop, simply because you need much more in an MMO than you do in a single-player game. Even if we start seeing this type of content, how far do we want our choices to extend? Do I want absolute freedom? Maybe I just stick a knife in the chick and be done with her. But wait, they don't give me that option, they only give me two. Is that too linear now? Where is the line drawn? Or they do give me that option, but it has no bearing on the rest of the story. Is that too linear, when quests don't converge and choices are merely made for a specific questline with no consequence in the next?

I think we just need to accept that games can only contain a certain number of paths, and they're best served for games of a much smaller scope than an MMO.

Though if I'm speaking completely out of what you were thinking, please let me know. I'd like to see some discussion about this topic based off of realities. We all want something, but is what we want even possible? Let's get some ideas flowing here.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,772Member Uncommon
    the tied up woman in Age of Conan is a tutorial area so it is linear on purpose. The game begins after you kill Sadur and reach Tortage. But yes i understand what the OP means and completely agree with the extremely linear nature of some games, specially mmos. When something doesnt let you progress or move around in the game freely then it already crossed the line between linear and horrible design. I rather have a semi linear main storyline in a vast open world that i can go wherever i want and do whatever i want before i decide to follow the main storyline. Skyrim did a great job with that.

Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    the tied up woman in Age of Conan is a tutorial area so it is linear on purpose. The game begins after you kill Sadur and reach Tortage. But yes i understand what the OP means and completely agree with the extremely linear nature of some games, specially mmos. When something doesnt let you progress or move around in the game freely then it already crossed the line between linear and horrible design. I rather have a semi linear main storyline in a vast open world that i can go wherever i want and do whatever i want before i decide to follow the main storyline. Skyrim did a great job with that.

What MMO has ever been so drastically linear to spark the OP's post (game plays itself) or what you wrote in red? What MMO stops you from moving around freely and picking what you want to do, outside of tutorial areas? I can't count tortage as it was designed to a be single player game first and outcry caused the change to it being a multiplayer area.

Even in TOR if you wanted to you could mob grind or PVP your way to end-game, you weren't tied down to doing the stories if you didn't want to. IN AOC you could go where ever you wanted once you left tortage, every continent was open to you at basically any level range.

The worst offender I would assume is ESO due to low XP rates in other areas, but they're addressing that at least in PVP. You still were free to go where you wanted, even if it boiled down to doing more quests.

• TankYou88TankYou88 , ALPosts: 310Member

You will never in your lifetime find a game like that. Find a new genre to play.