Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To all of those posting to avoid this game

Comments

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Nothing on horizon what can replace EVE .
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I have no problems with seeing why people are warning others about this game. I tried this game a few years back, it was a real turn-off.

First, it's the most newbie-UNfriendly community I've ever encountered in any game.

Second, it's all about ganking and griefing.

Personally, I think it's a miracle that this trash still lives on.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Netspook

I have no problems with seeing why people are warning others about this game. I tried this game a few years back, it was a real turn-off.

First, it's the most newbie-UNfriendly community I've ever encountered in any game.

Second, it's all about ganking and griefing.

Personally, I think it's a miracle that this trash still lives on.

And somehow, I have fun in 0.0, not ganking, but actually fighting other people, in one of the most successful coalitions, who are absolutely newb friendly and will help you pay for your lost ships and teach you everything you need to know.

Whether you realize this is a social game or not, it's not the game's fault. You did it wrong.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Netspook

I have no problems with seeing why people are warning others about this game. I tried this game a few years back, it was a real turn-off.First, it's the most newbie-UNfriendly community I've ever encountered in any game.Second, it's all about ganking and griefing.Personally, I think it's a miracle that this trash still lives on.

And the game not just "live on", it is pretty successful.

Perhaps, your individual experience is an exception or maybe you are even flat out wrong with your gross assumptions....

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Prokaryotik

I understand where you're coming from, I truly do. But you have to realize that the world of New Eden that CCP has created is supposed to be an emulation of a completely dog eat dog society where almost anything can happen. For all intents and purposes you should be happy there are even Hi-sec areas in my opinion.

I have played this game on and off here and there for some time and I am by no means an expert in any way shape or form. But what I absolutely love about this game is that it truly is a vitrual world: one server, go anywhere, do anything. It is trying to portray a futuristic society in space where there is no government. Just those who may or may not be your friends.

I understand you have to pay a subscription, I understand that you've put a lot of time and effort into the game, but this is something that they make you very well aware of and is something that makes the experience something that is truly unique. That fear of griefing, that fear of losing everything. But that's what makes it awesome, the fact that can actually happen, anytime, anywhere, and if you can't handle that then this game isn't for you. Can't you guys imagine that if a world actually did exist like New Eden in space there would be those griefers, those pirates, those scammers? That's what our world is like believe it or not. Just most of us don't see it as we live in a priveleged society where we play video games all day... It's sick but its an accurate portrayal of what that society would be like (I think at least). So CCP, please don't change it. Don't corrupt this immaculate world of no holds barred, deception, profiteering, piracy, backstabbing.. ugh I could go on.

Soon as a few better space sims are released EVE will be closing the doors anyways.  The engine is outdated and cannot keep up. The only ones left will be the ones with a lot of money invested.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Soon as a few better space sims are released EVE will be closing the doors anyways.  The engine is outdated and cannot keep up. The only ones left will be the ones with a lot of money invested.

Yeah, like when all those better themparks where released and EverQuest closed the doors.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

here is your problem with this game, EVE have nothing with space sim genre , it is sandbox mmoRPG  focused on players interaction.

• IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

here is your problem with this game, EVE have nothing with space sim genre , it is sandbox mmoRPG  focused on players interaction.

It's not sandbox. 

To take Sov in EvE there is only one method.  You get a blob, shoot a structure into reinforced, wait 24ish hours, return to structure. If your blob and reinforcements is bigger you win because no enemy turns up, if smaller you don't turn up, if around the same size you shoot each other. If you manage to blob system first you have an advantage in lag. 

One way, no hit and run, no raiding, just structure grinding timers that never end.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Ikonoclastia
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

It's not sandbox. 

To take Sov in EvE there is only one method.  You get a blob, shoot a structure into reinforced, wait 24ish hours, return to structure. If your blob and reinforcements is bigger you win because no enemy turns up, if smaller you don't turn up, if around the same size you shoot each other. If you manage to blob system first you have an advantage in lag. 

One way, no hit and run, no raiding, just structure grinding timers that never end.

Wait, outside of the 24 hour timer, this sounds exactly like the real world if one country is trying to invade another.  No one conquers another country with hit and run tactics, or by raiding, you basically roll in with your zerg of weapons and men and fight to the death if the enemy is willing.

I imagine you could employ terrorist tactics against opponents as well, running through their territory to disrupt trade, joining their ranks and destroying from within (done many times), using war decs, hiring mercs, camping their jump bridge networks etc.

While the SOV mechanics could use some adjusting (but then since I first joined in 2007 that's always been true, and usually proposed by people who don't hold SOV) there is so much to do in this game besides SOV wars.

The sandbox is working just fine in EVE.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I am glad I do not play EVE. I'll stick to my low population, land based EVE like game Perpetuum!

Blob vs Blob battles are fun! Just the few huge blob vs blob battles I have seen in EVE are often too costly for one side or the other. In Perpetuum, we have "peace time" .. Its the time to rebuild in-between wars :-)

Good to see devoted EVE players defending the game. I defend Perpetuum the same!

• AvyonneAvyonne Member Posts: 1

Simple question: Is it possible to blow away an Orca worth approx. 600M with a ship / ships worth just a 10th the price in HighSec ? Is this called risk vs. reward ? Thanks in advance, Avyonne

P.S. Like to Write more, but not with an editor suggesting german words each time I type something *grrr*

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258

Man, I do understand some people's point of view in this thread but the absolute majority is not even presenting correct facts. I will be the first to admin this game has its issues that CCP loves to ignore but this thread has derived into bashing a game people either don't understand or think they are entitled to special treatment when they don't even bother learning how it works.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Avyonne

Simple question: Is it possible to blow away an Orca worth approx. 600M with a ship / ships worth just a 10th the price in HighSec ? Is this called risk vs. reward ? Thanks in advance, Avyonne

P.S. Like to Write more, but not with an editor suggesting german words each time I type something *grrr*

Possible? Yes. Almost any kill is possible under the right circumstances.

Not sure why anyone would try it, though. 60M worth of ship gets CONCORDed pretty fast so the chance of pulling it off would be rather low. Very low. Like, the Orca dude would have to be asleep at the keyboard in an Orca with no fittings. Even then, the Orca has a base of something like 10k shields and 7k armor with fairly decent resistances. 

Again, can it happen? Sure. The beauty of EVE is that any player(s) with enough determination, creativity and resourcefulness can do almost anything when they set their minds to it. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I guess bump it up to 2/10ths for a guranteed kill with guaranteed profits of what 300i%ish.  Whats the protection again?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    I guess bump it up to 2/10ths for a guranteed kill with guaranteed profits of what 300i%ish.  Whats the protection again?

The odd "guaranteed" part aside, that's some strange math. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    The protection is my fag packet math?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well op here is the deal...

Yes on paper the idea of a dog eat dog society is a great concept "to some" for a game but it is HOW you implement and the EFFORT you put into the game  that matters because we are paying MONEY to play these games.

They do not after making tons of money yet have half a game but keep selling xpacs selling you mostly void space and just setting the parameters for that empty space.Adding a cheap @d instance space station does NOT cut it for effort,dotting some fake non usable asteroids again does not cut it for effort.

Yes there is obviously gamer's satisfied with the design setup but to the mainstream gamer CCP KNOWS full well what they want but insist on delivering a VERY cheap game,one that has allowed them to make tons of money.

You see there is the difference,if you put a lot of effort into assets and content and have HD graphics and a lot good bandwidth you are NOT making a huge profit margin but CCP does have a huge profit margin.A large profit margin to me says lack of effort and NOT giving back to their supporters but instead insist on leeching as much money from them as they can.

I repeat the concept is of course one to each their own,some like pvp some don't,everyone has a variation of how the rules should be but i don't judge a game based on opinions i base it on what i see from the development process and effort.

Bottom line and of course is my opinion CCP has delivered a big time sub par effort.BTW i have enjoyed the best pvp games and PVE alike i am open to ALL concepts it is implementation that separates good from bad.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by AndrewGoat

So you expect people to actually pay a subscription fee just to play a game where the goal of the game is to scam and grief people?

Lolz.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I'd rather not play a game that permits scamming and griefing. No offense to those who still play EVE.

Had to fix that for you.  CCP doesn't promote any playstyle, but it does permit a wide variety including people who chose to attempt to scam and grief.  If you fly smart, which most people who stick around for any length of time learn to, you won't be much impacted by either activity.

So much ignorance in this thread about how the game really plays, you guys really shouldn't believe what you read on the internet and then assume it is representative, they are anomolies folks, not daily occurances for the average player.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ArcheAge2014ArcheAge2014 Member UncommonPosts: 135
    i dont need to play eve online, im waiting on star citizen.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by ArcheAge2014
    i dont need to play eve online, im waiting on star citizen.

As much as i want to play Star Citzen - and Elite Dangerous for that matter, Eve is, and while Elite Dangerous is looking like a sure thing in terms of actually releasing, Star Citizen is sort of in a bit of a 'limbo' even when the game is going to release is uncertain, or if it will release if you believe some of the more negative outlooks on the game, my biggest concern is that i might qualify for my old age pension before it does, at least Eve is here now, and thats more than good enough for me image

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    This cop out of freedom to act like a sociopath online is why this game is avoided like Herpes. I am "free" to mass murder a preschool full of toddlers,  but I don't because I'm not a prick who gets my jollies by ruining someone else's life/fun/happiness. You can continue to try and justify this cesspool and the turds that circle it, but you end up looking just as off your rocker as they are by enabling it. I for one am glad this game exists. It keeps the dbags of humanity locked up in their own zoo and away from the rest of us.
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by AndrewGoat

So you expect people to actually pay a subscription fee just to play a game where the goal of the game is to scam and grief people?

Lolz.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I'd rather not play a game that permits scamming and griefing. No offense to those who still play EVE.

Had to fix that for you.  CCP doesn't promote any playstyle, but it does permit a wide variety including people who chose to attempt to scam and grief.  If you fly smart, which most people who stick around for any length of time learn to, you won't be much impacted by either activity.

So much ignorance in this thread about how the game really plays, you guys really shouldn't believe what you read on the internet and then assume it is representative, they are anomolies folks, not daily occurances for the average player.

They most absolutely do endorse it. They not too long ago invited new players out somewhere, and one of the largest griefing guild "just happened to be there" when they jumped in.  When they were accused of setting those folks up, the CCP members had a good laugh about it and basically told those folks to shut up.

• blubstererblubsterer Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Prokaryotik

No, what I'm saying is that they have the choice to pay it or not. No one's MAKING them pay the sub. Just saying that they should be well aware of what the game is like, they even get up to a 21 DAY FREE TRIAL before they have to pay... they decide to pay... then complain about the world they're playing in. It's completely unwarranted.

Why is it completely unwarranted to express an opinion in public forums? I thought that's their main purpose. Or do you mean it's unwarranted if it's not positive or in line with your opinions? I'm really struggling to understand your intentions with this thread.

People join games with all kind of expectations. Some are realisitic, others not so much. If someone played a trial (or even payed a subscription to play) and found out that this specific game doesn't meet his expectations for what reason ever, he is completely entitled to express his opinion. Even if his expectations weren't realistic in the first place. As long as it's not pure trolling that means.

You don't have to agree. And you don't have to read or respond to them at all. But to call them unwarranted is simply way too much. In that case I suggest: just stay away from forums in general, because their main purpose just isn't for you ....

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Ikonoclastia

It's not sandbox. 

Do you even know what a sandbox is.?