Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

archeage is as close as ultima online.

ArcheAge2014ArcheAge2014 Member UncommonPosts: 135

archeage is going to kick ass for sure, its as close as ultima online.

Comments

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Not even close...
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Not very similar at all honestly

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    No.....just...no.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by ArcheAge2014

Agreed, I think it looks even better than UO. However this whole F2P thing is making me wary. Most F2P MMOs are very heared towards the cash shop which completely breaks immersion.

• DaveyColeDaveyCole Member Posts: 85

A number of elements in ArcheAge do remind me of Ultima Online quite a bit. For example the crime system is not the same, but there is a clear line drawn in both games that underlines the importance of both the criminal and the protector. In UO there was the forensic evaluation skill which was a skill that allowed a player to identify murderers, thieves, and lock-pickers. There was also the taste identification skill which would check if a piece of food was poisoned. Both of these skills were removed because the developers felt there wasn't much game play usefulness in them. I felt that skills like this added character to the game, but that's neither here nor there. In AA a player can collect evidence and turn it in to report a crime. It takes the criminal system one step further by having a court with a jury of peers judge the accused. While this is not the same as UO it is easy to see that the emphasis placed on crime is there.

Another parallel is the use of a sextant in both UO and AA to hunt for treasure maps. While the process of hunting treasure might not be the same there are similarities. Housing is one other element that stood out to me. In both UO and AA a house can be placed in the tangible world where you can roam freely and see people working in or around their homes instead of hidden away in a private instance. This breathes more life into the game.

There are quite a few differences between UO and AA; enough that I wouldn't even call it a spiritual successor. Instead I would say that it is evident that the developers of this game were influenced enough by UO in their past (perhaps as UO players) that they wanted to bring elements of that game across to their own game without making it a direct copy. This is all speculation on my part.

Some of the more important aspects of the original UO (before it was mutated in AoS) were the fleetingness of possessions and the lack of "magic items." Sure there were silver vanquishing weapons and night eye earrings, but it was nothing like the neon colored magical swords of today. If you died, your items were on your corpse and could be looted. This meant that many people had multiple suits of armor and multiple weapons. Often times people would sell bags of armor that you could purchase to get back on your feet and get back in the fight. Spells used to cost reagents and there was no magic trait to your armor that would remove this need. You wouldn't go out there casting things willy-nilly because you could run out of reagents. Maybe it meant focusing more on poison because you had more nightshade in your bag. AA departs from this, making things more permanent and attached. Spell casting is done at the stroke of a key without a second thought and it appears that items are not lost and completely replaced. Repairs are not as impactful on the player as the complete loss of an item. While this may not appeal to some of the veteran gamers who are tempered by past games, it makes it more approachable to modern gamers who are used to the present belief that "what is mine, is mine." AA makes a feint towards the old days of imminent loss by implementing trade packs, but modernizes it in the "capture the flag" generation by setting up predetermined delivery points. In essence they are trying to take a bit of the past and keep what made it fun, while shaping some of the difficulty and frustration into something new.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

This isn't a sentence.

As close to what as ultima online?

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206

lol

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    No it's not! The Repopulation is.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Retired

No, The Repopulation is as close as SWG.

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

Had a quick read of AA PvP .. not really. UO was, you leave town and you were fair game to another player.

AA seems it's seperated by faction, so you have safety on your own turf.

I miss the old UO

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by Deddmeat

Had a quick read of AA PvP .. not really. UO was, you leave town and you were fair game to another player.

AA seems it's seperated by faction, so you have safety on your own turf.

I miss the old UO

Nop. Lvl 30+ zones are pvp zones and you can kill anybody, same faction or not.

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

Originally posted by An4thor
    Originally posted by Deddmeat Had a quick read of AA PvP .. not really. UO was, you leave town and you were fair game to another player. AA seems it's seperated by faction, so you have safety on your own turf. I miss the old UO

Lvl 30+

UO it didn't matter and yes people can say that could cause griefing but people learnt to look out for each other, hunt down those who were praying on travellers etc.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

This is why there is much hate and volatility on game forums so soon after release. Players will say anything to sell their favorite game. New players pick it up expecting something so totally different that they feel cheated when they finally play it. Then they come on these forums and rage.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Wouldn't Shroud of the Avatar be the closest thing to UO?

Seeing as it's the same guy that made UO that's making it?

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

so, you say it plays like a game from the last millenia?

or did you mean it's  gfx look like a game from 1997?

or are you gonna imply it's netcode will be SO BAD that you think you play a (nearly) first gen mmo again?

or did you say it runs on dx9 and on an 8mb gfx card?

or did you mean.... you are a fanboi and just wanna make some totaly unreasonable comparison here and get trolled abit?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• IggunsIgguns Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Using your logic, if the creator of UO, Lord-Brittish-Whats-His-Face, made a game very similar to Pac-Man, it would be the closest thing to UO. 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Igguns
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Using your logic, if the creator of UO, Lord-Brittish-Whats-His-Face, made a game very similar to Pac-Man, it would be the closest thing to UO. 

Sure. If you can't tell the difference between an arcade game and another sandbox game by the same creator. image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• AluviusAluvius Member Posts: 288

Originally posted by Deddmeat Had a quick read of AA PvP .. not really. UO was, you leave town and you were fair game to another player. AA seems it's seperated by faction, so you have safety on your own turf. I miss the old UO

Lvl 30+

UO it didn't matter and yes people can say that could cause griefing but people learnt to look out for each other, hunt down those who were praying on travellers etc.

Actually you can turn bloodlust on anywhere and attack same faction players. 

You gain infamy points for killing same faction players and for stealing/uprooting farms in the wild.  Gain enough points and the next time you  die in pvp you go to court, there a trial is held where your crimes are listed and a jury pool is randomly selected from people that have qualified for jury duty.

The jury votes on guilty or innocent and the amount of sentence you have to serve in prison.  Sentences range from minutes to hours.  You can find a way to escape from prison but you get a debuff for doing so.

With enough points you lose your faction and become a pirate which is kos to both factions.  They have their own smaller island in between the faction continents.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Aluvius

Lvl 30+

Actually you can turn bloodlust on anywhere and attack same faction players. 

You gain infamy points for killing same faction players and for stealing/uprooting farms in the wild.  Gain enough points and the next time you  die in pvp you go to court, there a trial is held where your crimes are listed and a jury pool is randomly selected from people that have qualified for jury duty.

The jury votes on guilty or innocent and the amount of sentence you have to serve in prison.  Sentences range from minutes to hours.  You can find a way to escape from prison but you get a debuff for doing so.

With enough points you lose your faction and become a pirate which is kos to both factions.  They have their own smaller island in between the faction continents.

yes yes, and then you get into jail, play some soccer and find a parachute lieing around coincidentaly and flee.... since those items always lie around in high-sec prisons.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

No, The Repopulation is as close as SWG.

LOL, you are right, it as close as.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173

Why you even talk with this pathetic ad bot? Look at their nickname lol.

ps game is shit ofc

• DaveyColeDaveyCole Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by Aluvius

This is another aspect that reminds me of Ultima Online; murderers going red and being outcasts, as well as the system of losing and gaining karma based on your actions. I want to reiterate that I feel this isn't even close to the same style of game but it does have similarities.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

There is only one game that will be close to an old game. "Camelot Unchained" is for most of us, Dark Age of Camelot. Why ? Because its kind of the same team. 

and as for AA / UO comparison....no...there wont be something even close to that. WHY ? Because there is no player base for it.

example: Look at ESO, they have reduced the difficulty of the game because....it was toooooooo hard !!!

AA is full of exploits, bugs and bots....just like Eso on 1st day.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

The OP's name is archeAge....his join date shows a typical developer's lack of being a part of the industry by hiring someone to spam nonsense by joining websites in the last few months and writing spam.

Wake up people.  And oh, I think you all have - why he compared an Asian grinder to Ultima (shivers).

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

as close as what? Because the games are no where near similar. Archeage is going to be plagued with F2P trolls all while making it so you will have to sub to gain access to the entire game.

Either make it full sub to keep the scum out or don't make us have to pay anyways while having to deal with the F2P crap.