Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Difference between MMO and Single player RPG

ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common

This has been bandied about for ages on this site, but I feel some very basic clarification may needed.

Single Player RPG

Linear, pre-fabricated storyline with some branching decision points.

World is a back drop or merely a set for scenes.

"Think of a line (or a path) as a metaphor for such a game."

MMORPG

Free destiny for players.  Their dynamic in-game realities become their stories and need not be pre-written or overly guided.

World is the environment.

"Think of a circle."

Comments

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer brightonPosts: 317Member
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

This has been bandied about for ages on this site, but I feel some very basic clarification may needed.

Single Player RPG

MMORPG

Free destiny for players.  Their dynamic in-game realities become their stories and need not be pre-written or overly guided.

"Think of a circle."

Your single player RPG definition sounds a hell of a lot like many recent mmo's.  

• tawesstawess LkpgPosts: 2,535Member Uncommon

SPRPG: Usually only one player.

MMORPG: Generally more then one player at the same time on a server

Beyond that it breaks down in to semantics.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Richmond Hill, ONPosts: 533Member
    Originally posted by tawess

The End.

• gothmog99zgothmog99z , NYPosts: 22Member

Single Player RPG

MMORPG

"Think of a circle."

never played skyrim i guess.in fact if you even go back to the ultima series,not that crap lb put out ultima online(piece of junk never bought a game of his after that crap)that was an open world a lot of srpg had open worlds,a lot more did not.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas New Westminster, BCPosts: 468Member
    Originally posted by Soandsoso

The End.

Seconded. Literally the difference is nothing more than that between the word S stands for in the first one and the word the second M stands for in the second one.

Where's the any key?

• nomotagnomotag Posts: 131Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by TheQuietGamer

Single Player RPG

MMORPG

"Think of a circle."

Your single player RPG definition sounds a hell of a lot like many recent mmo's.  

And the MMORPG definition sounds a hella lot like many recent single player RPGs.

• ryvendarkryvendark vancouver, BCPosts: 141Member
    If you have no control over what people call it, and they're not going to listen to you anyway.....why bother trying to change it.
  • ArclanArclan Chicago, ILPosts: 1,494Member Uncommon

Originally posted by ReallyNow10 This has been bandied about for ages on this site, but I feel some very basic clarification may needed.   Single Player RPG Linear, pre-fabricated storyline with some branching decision points. World is a back drop or merely a set for scenes. "Think of a line (or a path) as a metaphor for such a game."   MMORPG Free destiny for players.  Their dynamic in-game realities become their stories and need not be pre-written or overly guided. World is the environment. "Think of a circle."

I'm sure the OP would agree with you. :)

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

The End.

Seconded. Literally the difference is nothing more than that between the word S stands for in the first one and the word the second M stands for in the second one.

Do you have to bring S&M into every discussion? 

• MagiknightMagiknight McKinleyville, CAPosts: 782Member

The End.

Yes because two people playing a game is a MMORPG

• MagiknightMagiknight McKinleyville, CAPosts: 782Member

Single Player RPG

MMORPG

"Think of a circle."

I don't agree. Xenoblade is a single player RPG but it is very circular or recursive. It's impossible to do everything the game has to offer or to understand the story in one play through. I suppose Chrono Cross is circular also.

Just because a MMORPG has a linear story or guides the players doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas New Westminster, BCPosts: 468Member

The End.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me :)"

Where's the any key?

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXPosts: 5,348Member

Single Player RPG

MMORPG

"Think of a circle."

I do not agree with this.

Examples of some single player games that I can think of that are more 'open' then most MMOs

Skyrim, Sims, Kerbal Space Program, really for that matter GTA series.

Examples of some MMOs that are more restrictive then single player games

ESO? ( I use this only as an example because Skyrim is the opposite in respects being illustrated

Correlation does not imply causation

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by nomotag

Single Player RPG

MMORPG

"Think of a circle."

And the MMORPG definition sounds a hella lot like many recent single player RPGs.

That is why most players probably don't care about the fine point of the definitions. Just use MMO as a convenient label.

• CecropiaCecropia Posts: 3,472Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

That is why most players probably don't care about the fine point of the definitions. Just use MMO as a convenient label.

How is it a more convenient label when all you've done is make it more difficult for people to find the type of (multiplayer) game they're interested in? 

The term you're searching so frantically for is "Game". Much like how Baseball is a "Sport"; even though it is a sport, people aren't going to suddenly stop calling it Baseball at some random point in time.

This ongoing "discussion" was ridiculous from the start. It's not logical.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

The End.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me :)"

missed that, nice answer.  

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,554Member Uncommon
    Witcher 3 is about to blow the OPs mind
  • FoobarxFoobarx Poway, CAPosts: 451Member
    One costs more than the other...
  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon

Cant agree with the mmorpg definition. Its too generic 1 to many.
    mmorpgs need a greater number of player interactions than a MORPG.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

Cant agree with the mmorpg definition. Its too generic 1 to many.
    mmorpgs need a greater number of player interactions than a MORPG.

But surely the more mm's there are the more players you have?  So an morpg- might have, lets say 1-5, an mmorpg might have hundreds, but an mmmmmmmorpg would tear a hole in the space-time continuum.  That is clearly why your argument is full of shit.  

• NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon

Originally posted by tawess     SPRPG: Usually only one player.   MMORPG: Generally more then one player at the same time on a server   Beyond that it breaks down in to semantics.
      Cant agree with the mmorpg definition. Its too generic 1 to many. mmorpgs need a greater number of player interactions than a MORPG.
    But surely the more mm's there are the more players you have?  So an morpg- might have, lets say 1-5, an mmorpg might have hundreds, but an mmmmmmmorpg would tear a hole in the space-time continuum.  That is clearly why your argument is full of shit.  

Uh no...The only difference is one contains the key word "Massively", not the number of 'm's" it contains.

Which is of course significant because it defines that there is a large amount of players...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by tawess     SPRPG: Usually only one player.   MMORPG: Generally more then one player at the same time on a server   Beyond that it breaks down in to semantics.
      Cant agree with the mmorpg definition. Its too generic 1 to many. mmorpgs need a greater number of player interactions than a MORPG.

Uh no...The only difference is one contains the key word "Massively", not the number of 'm's" it contains.

no no no, this is where you fundamental understanding of physics fails you.  M times 100 is clearly a trillion m's.  And if every m is a server full of people then you have killed the internet.  

• RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,206Member Uncommon

actually above an mmorpg come an ummorpg, defined as 100k concurrent users not separated by instancing or sharding.

the only attempt at an UMMORPG was cancelled. With Second Life in decline, EVE's our best bet at an UMMORPG but its very far off itself.

I guess by 2025 definition of UMMORPGs, AOL MEssenger and ICQ were the first UMMORPGs. 

• iixviiiixiixviiiix GSPosts: 835Member Uncommon

Singleplayer RPG : Play alone

Multiplayer (online) RPG : Play with other player (limited number)

Massively Multiplayer (online) RPG : play with other player (unlimited number),

Quest hubs = singleplayer mode with multiplayer option (group)

Instance dungeons = Multiplayer mode with solo (singleplayer) option

Persistent world , Open-World boss , castle siege = Massively multiplayer games .

Nowadays so call themepark MMORPG are singleplayer RPG with multiplayer option and very little to non massively multiplayer contents .

Bad combination IMO.

Though they still can be called MMORPG because of empty Persistent world .

They main focus design are "singleplayer campaign" with little "multiplayer contents" between the campaigns and very little to non massively contents.

Nowadays themepark MMORPG are good singleplayer RPG with multiplayer option .

But they are bad game as MMORPGs because there are too little massively contents.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,590Member Uncommon

Single Player RPG

MMORPG

"Think of a circle."

I agree.

OP, Have you played recent RPGs and recent MMORPGs? Your definitions may have worked a long time ago, but presently, they are reversed. Single player games are getting more expansive with more options for play while MMORPGs are getting narrower with fewer choices.