Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over 7 million sold

Comments

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Originally posted by Scalpless

This is more about GW2 selling well in China than anything else, because its Western sales haven't been updated for a while. Still, it's nice, I suppose. I guess the majority of ANet's current income comes from gem sales.

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Well active subs does matter because like you said OP its "I guess it's doing well" when in reality less than a mil active users out of a 7 million pool is not exactly doing well.

Lovely facts you've got there.

It's common knowledge at this point that the majority of people that bought the game have not played it in a long time, I'll get a good laugh out of anyone that thinks that's not the case. That was the point. The whole temporary content thing is just terrible and hasn't gotten them very far in terms of player retention. 

So your point is that they made a piddling, trivial little non-entity of a casual bollox game, and people treated it that way?  I do not mean to put words in your mouth, but I would agree with that assessment. 

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Originally posted by Zzad
    Originally posted by davc123

yea its successful

but idc if they sold 7mil still no endgame  sux :D

and 70-80% ppls already left

And again......

There is End Game and constant byweekly updates with new temporal/permanent content for the price of FREE!

maybe not the traditional end game (raids??? perhaps??)

But who was the uninformed one expecting THAT?

70%-80% people left? Suuuuure i know you manage all that info.

your post is the one that sux :D

Bookah!

Its free for a limited time. After that time expires you have to pay. And the GW2 fans accept this and call it innovation.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    the game has been doing well since launch. The only people saying its dead are the trolls who dont play.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    mmorpg.com sure has a miserable community
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Superb game. Congrats to ANet.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by DocBrody

how to overhype a mediocre game.

Didn't like the beta, didn't buy.

I'd rather like to know the numbers for buyer's remorse

I think it would be the same for any game. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean its a mediocre game to everyone. It's doing very well.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    ya i also bought one of those boxes..havent played since 1st month of release

• Originally posted by Soandsoso

Originally posted by Zzad

Originally posted by davc123 yea its successful but idc if they sold 7mil still no endgame  sux :D and 70-80% ppls already left  
    And again...... There is End Game and constant byweekly updates with new temporal/permanent content for the price of FREE! maybe not the traditional end game (raids??? perhaps??) But who was the uninformed one expecting THAT? 70%-80% people left? Suuuuure i know you manage all that info. your post is the one that sux :D Bookah!
    Its free for a limited time. After that time expires you have to pay. And the GW2 fans accept this and call it innovation.

Seriously you know nothing about this game. It is complately free and not for a limited time. There is just one condition. You have to login at least once when the new content goes live. That's all. And from there you can do it any time and as much as you want. And yes this is an innovation. So if you want to bash something this much, first know what you're talking about...

This is pathetic. Mmorpg.com got one of the worst communities out there. Continue to hate and bash everything you don't like and pretend to know everything you see. I hope you are happy like this...

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I LOVE the facts people always spout out based on their limited experience.

The other day I went into Wal-mart and it was really dead. I almost never shop at Wal-mart and several of my friends rarely go there too. Clearly that means Wal-Mart is hurting really bad right now.

I get you don't like the game, there's games I don't like too. But I don't just make up facts to support my position. Just get over it, and go discuss the games you DO play.

Originally posted by BurntCabbage

Kind of cool though to think it's your game and at any time you could play if you wanted. Unlike so many other games I have purchased over the years and don't find interesting anymore I can't just jump back in without resubbing or justifying a f2p system. I have the same freedom with The Secret World, and I wish more publishers would follow this format.

Looking through my personal history of game purchases, there are very few that I have actually played after the 1st month of release, especially if they have not met up to my subscription standards.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Kind of cool though to think it's your game and at any time you could play if you wanted. Unlike so many other games I have purchased over the years and don't find interesting anymore I can't just jump back in without resubbing or justifying a f2p system. I have the same freedom with The Secret World, and I wish more publishers would follow this format.

Looking through my personal history of game purchases, there are very few that I have actually played after the 1st month of release, especially if they have not met up to my subscription standards.

Hangon, you are chucking a lot of language at him to suit YOUR point.  He never said he thought it was HIS game, YOU did.  

You have created an entirely false argument on an entirely false premise.  Shame.  

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

It's not like he's going to "jump back" into this game because he can. For the exact reasons you stated too about other games, this one is so uninteresting that he and many others didn't go back even when its f2p and no bar of entry.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by TheQuietGamer

Hangon, you are chucking a lot of language at him to suit YOUR point.  He never said he thought it was HIS game, YOU did.  

You have created an entirely false argument on an entirely false premise.  Shame.  

What? Why is it that everyone is so hostile and wants to make others look dumb. I was merely stating that it was a cool thing. I wasn't trying to change his or anyones mind.

You have created an entirely false argument on an entirely false premise. Shame.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    Originally posted by Shaigh
    Its 3.8M characters, not 3.8M units sold.

Uh.... no?

It's 3.8 million accounts.  :I

Actually it might not be. If you go to the actual source that you posted, you can read the translated comments beneath it that imply that it is most likely characters and not accounts. The translation literally says survey. I would wait for ArenaNet or NCSoft to release numbers. If they are this good, I am sure that they will. 

If you also look at the list you have servers with 300k on it. I have no idea how gw2 servers are structured, but you usually don't have 300k players on the same server, so its far more likely that its 3.8M characters and not 3.8M players.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.

What? Why is it that everyone is so hostile and wants to make others look dumb. I was merely stating that it was a cool thing. I wasn't trying to change his or anyones mind.

You have created an entirely false argument on an entirely false premise. Shame.

What? Why is that everyone is so hostile and wants to make others look dumb.  "I" was mereley stating that it was a cool thing.  "I" wasn't trying to change his or anyones mind. 

It is just "I" "I" with you isn't it? 

What? Why is that everyone is so hostile and wants to make others look dumb.  "I" was mereley stating that it was a cool thing.  "I" wasn't trying to change his or anyones mind. 

Huh? That is all you got out of that. Nice.

edit: I do not mean to put words in your mouth, but I would agree with that assessment. 

Apparently there are joke awareness courses.  

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

WOW!!! why can't people just face facts that guildwars 2 is doing well and that there are players that really loves this game? Sure not everyone who bought the game still plays it, then it wouldn't be a game more like a drug. No game keeps their entire playerbase.

Guild wars 2 sold alot in China thats great news and that was the major point of this thread, not to compaire it with wow, just that it's doing great.

If you don't like this game then don't comment on it and talk with people about the game you like and play.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Is that site posting official numbers released from ANET, or is this some Chinese marketing ploy again? Didn't we go through something similar to this a couple years ago where some Chinese marketing site was claiming some outrageously high number of concurrent daily logins and it was proven to be false?

I like GW2, it's a great game, I have no reason to doubt its success, but unofficial player base numbers quoted from unofficial Chinese marketing sites making unconfirmed claims tend to raise red flags for me.

• ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141

Apparently there are joke awareness courses.  

Was your name supposed to be ironic ?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DocBrody

how to overhype a mediocre game.

Didn't like the beta, didn't buy.

I'd rather like to know the numbers for buyer's remorse

I think it would be the same for any game. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean its a mediocre game to everyone. It's doing very well.

Is it? Do they log this info somewhere that it can be seen? I think the proper answer in all most all of these threads is "I don't know"... Unless this information can actually be seen.

Selling boxes and making money, that's profit. As MMO gamers that shouldn't be our concern or the reason we prop something up. Keeping a healthy well populated community should be the end all be all of this topic. If I were to jump in today how would the lower to mid tiers look as far as population goes?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Distopia

Selling boxes and making money, that's profit. As MMO gamers that shouldn't be our concern or the reason we prop something up. Keeping a healthy well populated community should be the end all be all of this topic. If I were to jump in today how would the lower to mid tiers look as far as population goes?

Because of the megaservers, every zone is pretty well populated, and most events are being ran.  Some people think megaserver is bad for community pride or whatever, but I've always said (And posted on this) that my #1 priority on an MMORPG is ease of playing with other players.

So I'm good with it.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Is that site posting official numbers released from ANET, or is this some Chinese marketing ploy again? Didn't we go through something similar to this a couple years ago where some Chinese marketing site was claiming some outrageously high number of concurrent daily logins and it was proven to be false?

I like GW2, it's a great game, I have no reason to doubt its success, but unofficial player base numbers quoted from unofficial Chinese marketing sites making unconfirmed claims tend to raise red flags for me.

This^

I'd also like to point out that all of that language concerning sales numbers on the reddit page was added after and not part of the origional transelation. The actual origional page is just listing toon population per server, not total players/sales.

I am not implying the game is doing bad, but that page is only stating that chineese players made 3.8 million toons spread across all servers, there is no indication that it is anything more than that.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by ryvendark

Popular mmo is doing well and someone posts some numbers.

The people who hate the game on this site can't stand that something they hate is doing well so they now go about fabricating reason why it's really not what it seems and it's actually still a bad game

Seems like a typical mmorpg.com thread.

Heavily advertised game with a popular first instalment shifted many initial sales.  Current cashflow/ profit not mentioned in thread.  

The people who love the game will now fabricate reasons why its doing well.  

Every game has an audience, not everyone will like everything.  

Last quarter was around $25M, some $30M the quarter before that, some $300M+ since release.

Now even if they only make $5 with per each of those 3.8M boxes sold in China and 5% of whatever gem sales in China we are looking at some $20M+.

Is that turnover (turnover does not necessarily profit make)?  Where were the figures published?  

Since NCSoft is a publicly traded company they release quarterly information.

http://www.ncsoft.net/global/ir/earnings.aspx

Digital goods have high gross margins (for example CCP says their gross margin is 93-94%).

The numbers are revenue.

Expenses of developing teams are mostly with their staff and offices expenses (I'm not sure if Anet owns their own offices or rent them, water, power, etc) with some marketing and travels.

The expenses aren't categorized per studio, but it caa be estimated.

At 350 people with an average of $100K/year, we are talking about $35M/year. Another $10M/year for the other expenses, and we can see that GW2 is pretty profitable (and part of the wages paid are actually investment in future sales).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

At 350 people with an average of $100K/year

That's a bit high for employees in this business. Game development doesn't really pay that well, and Anet specifically isn't on the high end of the wage scale. I'd expect it to be closer to $50k.