Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Let's check up on our lovely community...

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    enjoying FFXIV atm so p2p
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Recently bought Dragon age: Origins and put 230 hours into that. Still working on 4 achievements and then I'll move on to the rest of the series. then the Witcher Series and then the other 32 games I bought from Steam but haven't touched yet.

I have tons of single player RPGs to play to keep me busy =)

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

Your missing only pay to play, which is likely, and imo, will always be the majority of MMO players who actually play more than ultra casually and are old enough to have a CC.

I think the Buy to Play + Pay to Play option in your poll is significantly skewed by only Pay to play peeps.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I am playing GW2 and Wildstar atm. Although, I am not feeling WS and I am pondering going back to FF14 to see the changes. I am playing Skyrim again also and a few games that I picked up during the steam sale.

I am patiently waiting for Destiny and No Man's Sky for the PS4.

I've also been pondering getting Cube World, need something kinda different to play.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Any game like DCUO, SWTOR, Rift etc... that launched as B2P+P2P, but converted to F2P (with a sub option) is classified as F2P. Choosing to pay on optional cash shop or a montly fee to gain benefits in a F2P MMO is no different.

I also have yet to see any MMO that has launched P2P without a box fee. There might be some there, but extremely rare. Even if such MMO exist the box fee would be considered that first 30 day sub, which most who purchase a box/game get those 30 days free.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Cephus404
    Real life.  I'm not playing any MMOs, or any video games for that matter, and haven't for quite some time.  There just aren't any out there that do what I want, therefore I don't play any.

What do you want them to do exactly? And please spare me the philosophies and feelings.

I want them to be fun.  I want them to have decent communities.  I want them to give me an entertaining experience.  None of them do that today.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Playing GW2 and Wildstar for the mmo part so B2P and P2P, Shadowrun returns and Torchlight 2 single player. If Wildstar gets boring I'll probably try some f2p games,there are quite a few which are decent enough like LOTRO,EQ2 or TERA.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Cephus404 Real life.  I'm not playing any MMOs, or any video games for that matter, and haven't for quite some time.  There just aren't any out there that do what I want, therefore I don't play any.
    What do you want them to do exactly? And please spare me the philosophies and feelings.  
    I want them to be fun.  I want them to have decent communities.  I want them to give me an entertaining experience.  None of them do that today.

Well at least you admit the problem is you. Props to you for being honest with yourself.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Cephus404 Real life.  I'm not playing any MMOs, or any video games for that matter, and haven't for quite some time.  There just aren't any out there that do what I want, therefore I don't play any.
    Well at least you admit the problem is you. Props to you for being honest with yourself.

uh? what is the problem to desire fun from entertainment products?

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by Cephus404 Real life.  I'm not playing any MMOs, or any video games for that matter, and haven't for quite some time.  There just aren't any out there that do what I want, therefore I don't play any.

I believe what Foom was saying was that the games are out there that are fun, have decent communities and are entertaining. You just have to put forth the effort to find the game that's right for you with the right people. Nothing in life is free, despite many claims otherwise.

I may be wrong here, but that's the impression I got from the post.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Aeonblades Originally posted by nariusseldon Originally posted by Foomerang Originally posted by Cephus404 Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Cephus404 Real life.  I'm not playing any MMOs, or any video games for that matter, and haven't for quite some time.  There just aren't any out there that do what I want, therefore I don't play any.
    I believe what Foom was saying was that the games are out there that are fun, have decent communities and are entertaining. You just have to put forth the effort to find the game that's right for you with the right people. Nothing in life is free, despite many claims otherwise. I may be wrong here, but that's the impression I got from the post.
    That's the impression I got too. I'm not one to throw the burnout card here, but this really could be a case of just needing to do something else for fun until you get the itch to game again.

That's where I was heading in that reply. Basically is you don't play any games and feel that none of them are any fun, as in zero entertainment across every single game you play....and if you claim to have played them all...I think its safe to say that's not the entire gaming industry's fault haha. I think if you reach that point, its time to do a little self evaluation. Maybe you just don't like games anymore. Or maybe you just like the idea of liking video games. Or yeah just burnout.
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

I believe what Foom was saying was that the games are out there that are fun, have decent communities and are entertaining. You just have to put forth the effort to find the game that's right for you with the right people. Nothing in life is free, despite many claims otherwise.

What effort? Aside from a little time, there is very little effort in finding games. In fact, it is up to them to find the players (by advertising, and what-no).

Seriously .. does any gamer cannot recite like 10 games he like, and 10 upcoming games he wants to play  without making any effort?

Ah yes, because we're all supposed to hate all the games that we play. However could I have been so wrong?

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more

I may be wrong here, but that's the impression I got from the post.

Which is the problem because, so far at least, I haven't found any MMOs, at least not recently, that are both fun, or that have decent communities.  Where these games that *I* will think are fun might be, I have no idea because I've looked long and hard and have come up empty. 

Where this becomes an issue, of course, is that he assumes that because *HE* finds it fun, that everyone else would find it fun as well.  That's a faulty assumption.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

B2P.

I didnt choose B2P+P2P because im not currently subbed to WoW. Wildstar isnt worth it to me. ESO isnt fixed yet to justify the sub, and XIV always has something that changes my mind about resubbing. So i just went back to GW2 and im happy.

Other games that keep me off mmos from time to time? PS4 if that counts (although i havent played it in a few days)..... Also classic JRPGs on emulators. I love classic games, mostly classic JRPGs.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

GW2 has the best model, ever.

My opinion, of course.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

What effort? Aside from a little time, there is very little effort in finding games. In fact, it is up to them to find the players (by advertising, and what-no). Seriously .. does any gamer cannot recite like 10 games he like, and 10 upcoming games he wants to play  without making any effort?

Me, for one - I _never_ have more than 2 upcoming games I'm looking forward to, and that's both MMO and singleplayer together. At least half the time I have nothing I'm looking forward to. :( I have put a LOT of effort into researching MMOs, looking for one I might really love playing, but the features I'm looking for aren't getting taken up into/spread through the genre very fast. As for singleplayer games, when the ones I like get sequels at all, they tend to go in the opposite direction I was hoping.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131
    P2P(wow) and some steam games. Wildstar and ESO are still on my gonna try list. Gotten bored of d3, maybe 2.10 will bring me back idk. 
    Originally posted by sadWinds
    P2P(wow) and some steam games. Wildstar and ESO are still on my gonna try list. Gotten bored of d3, maybe 2.10 will bring me back idk. 

If you like D3 (at least for a while), try Incredible Adv of Van Helsing .. very polished indie diablo-ish game in a steampunk world.

Everything gets boring sooner or later. I took a long hiatus from D3 until RoS .. and the game was fun again. New content always help.

2.10 will be fun though .. with all the new stuff. People are already theorycrafting new builds based on PTR or even just released notes (like the new leg gems).

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

Been playing FFXIV, I doubt anything is going to draw me away from it.  Pretty much sworn off MMOs altogether if I quit this game anyway.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

What effort? Aside from a little time, there is very little effort in finding games. In fact, it is up to them to find the players (by advertising, and what-no).

Seriously .. does any gamer cannot recite like 10 games he like, and 10 upcoming games he wants to play  without making any effort?

10 games I like would be very easy to recite. 10 games I'm looking forward to don't exist. I can only think of about 4 that genuinely interest me at the moment that I will consider buying in the future:

ArchAge

Dark Souls II

EQ:N

Camelot Unchained

I can't think of another game right now that I'm looking forward to in all honesty.

The effort I'm referring to is not effort to find game, it's effort to find a community and make friends. Friends don't just fall into your lap in real life, why would they in an online world? If people don't make the effort to form their own community, what's the point in MMO's?

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Poll lacks a P2P only option (free download / trial), which is where I'd be.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

The effort I'm referring to is not effort to find game, it's effort to find a community and make friends. Friends don't just fall into your lap in real life, why would they in an online world? If people don't make the effort to form their own community, what's the point in MMO's?

To be entertained by the gameplay and content?

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Based on this poll so far half of the community is not willing to pay a monthly fee for what's available out there. This just proves that it's not us the MMO gamers, but it's the lack of quality MMO's out there we are willing to pay $ on. What's depressing is the fact that 20% have just given up on the genre for the time being and are involved with other activities.

Further, this poll was brought month after WildStar release (which was highly hyped and what's suppose to be a high quality, WOW polished clone). Months before Wildstar ESO came out as B2P+P2P as well. Overall, all I can say is I'm proud of this community that is pushing the genre forward and voting wisely with their wallets.

I expect if things continue in this direction we would be fortunate to see another great AAA MMO that would be DIFFERENT from what we've been seeing dominanting and controlling the market for the last decade.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Kopogero

Based on this poll so far half of the community is not willing to pay a monthly fee for what's available out there. This just proves that it's not us the MMO gamers, but it's the lack of quality MMO's out there we are willing to pay $ on. What's depressing is the fact that 20% have just given up on the genre for the time being and are involved with other activities.

Further, this poll was brought month after WildStar release (which was highly hyped and what's suppose to be a high quality, WOW polished clone). Months before Wildstar ESO came out as B2P+P2P as well. Overall, all I can say is I'm proud of this community that is pushing the genre forward and voting wisely with their wallets.

I expect if things continue in this direction we would be fortunate to see another great AAA MMO that would be DIFFERENT from what we've been seeing dominanting and controlling the market for the last decade.

Think you must have misread the poll, as it clearly says that 52% are playing P2P and only 14% playing F2P games, a further 12 percent playing B2P, the rest don't seem to be playing any. If anything it seems to indicate that F2P is on the way out. interesting results either way, given how much F2P is touted as the future of MMO's, hardly anybody actually seems to be interested in playing them. Though it may just be an indicator of the quality of the currently available F2P MMO's. image