Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

still to many violent games

124»

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by TheQuietGamer
    Originally posted by Generol
    Originally posted by DamonVile

You can't prove something doesn't exist. People who swear there is no god calling anyone religious a fool are doing the same thing they're fighting against. Forcing their belief on others. It's one thing to not believe in organized religion. I think it's silly. But until I'm omnipotent, I can't say for sure that there is no god(s). Anyone who truly believes in science and reason would understand that.

Well stated. 

I'd disagree.  You work on the balance of probabilities and the balance tells me there is not a turtle floating around the moon.  Ok you can tell me with the utmost certainty there is not a cow floating about next to the MIR just as I can tell you there with utmost certainty there is no God.  

The moment you prove to me there is a giant cow in orbit is the moment I agree there is a God.  

People mistake the things they want to be true with the things that have any remote possibility of being true.  

I can't prove there is a cow floating around our moon, you can't prove there isn't a cow floating around any moon anywhere in the universe. You make the assumption that because you can't see it or find it, it must not be there. There's a common saying in science....the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

You're letting your faith in your believe decide your reality. Who else makes that mistake ?

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317

You can't prove something doesn't exist. People who swear there is no god calling anyone religious a fool are doing the same thing they're fighting against. Forcing their belief on others. It's one thing to not believe in organized religion. I think it's silly. But until I'm omnipotent, I can't say for sure that there is no god(s). Anyone who truly believes in science and reason would understand that.

Well stated. 

I'd disagree.  You work on the balance of probabilities and the balance tells me there is not a turtle floating around the moon.  Ok you can tell me with the utmost certainty there is not a cow floating about next to the MIR just as I can tell you there with utmost certainty there is no God.  

The moment you prove to me there is a giant cow in orbit is the moment I agree there is a God.  

People mistake the things they want to be true with the things that have any remote possibility of being true.  

I can't prove there is a cow floating around our moon, you can't prove there isn't a cow floating around any moon anywhere in the universe. You make the assumption that because you can't see it or find it, it must not be there. There's a common saying in science....the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

You're letting your faith in your believe decide your reality. Who else makes that mistake ?

No, there is saying in science that is this' if the balance of probability suggests something is not so, it probably is not so' 

Originally posted by skeaser

Well stated. 

I'd disagree.  You work on the balance of probabilities and the balance tells me there is not a turtle floating around the moon.  Ok you can tell me with the utmost certainty there is not a cow floating about next to the MIR just as I can tell you with the utmost certainty there is no God.  

People mistake the things they want to be true with the things that do not have any remote possibility of being true.  

I'm atheist and I really get irked by opinions like yours. Why does it hurt you that someone else believes in something to make them feel better about themselves and more comfortable about mortality?

Why do you get irked?  Do enjoy people believing something that you know to be untrue?  Does that make you feel cozy? 

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Well stated. 

I'd disagree.  You work on the balance of probabilities and the balance tells me there is not a turtle floating around the moon.  Ok you can tell me with the utmost certainty there is not a cow floating about next to the MIR just as I can tell you with the utmost certainty there is no God.  

People mistake the things they want to be true with the things that do not have any remote possibility of being true.  

I'm atheist and I really get irked by opinions like yours. Why does it hurt you that someone else believes in something to make them feel better about themselves and more comfortable about mortality?

Why do you get irked?  Do enjoy people believing something that you know to be untrue?  Does that make you feel cozy? 

Because it's an opinion/preference, trying to tell people that believing in a god is wrong is like telling people that ordering a sandwich with no tomato is wrong. Now, quit answering questions with questions and tell me, what harm does it cause you that people believe that's so bad that you have to correct them? Also, do you take joy in trying to take away people's happiness and comfort? 

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Well stated. 

Because it's an opinion/preference, trying to tell people that believing in a god is wrong is like telling people that ordering a sandwich with no tomato is wrong. Now, quit answering questions with questions and tell me, what harm does it cause you that people believe that's so bad that you have to correct them? Also, do you take joy in trying to take away people's happiness and comfort? 

Because I see my children having to sit through a religious ceremony in an apparent place of education.  They are indoctrinated at a young age by the state into something I know to be bullshit.  Honestly, you seem to misunderstand how furious it makes a father watching his children getting fed bullshit that is made up through no fault of his own.  

No, there is saying in science that is this' if the balance of probability suggests something is not so, it probably is not so' 

No there isn't.

No there isn't.

You might have been too busy playing mmo's 

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Well stated. 

Because I see my children having to sit through a religious ceremony in an apparent place of education.  They are indoctrinated at a young age by the state into something I know to be bullshit.  Honestly, you seem to misunderstand how furious it makes a father watching his children getting fed bullshit that is made up through no fault of his own.  

That's a totally different argument and I'm guessing things are different in the UK. On the other side of the pond there's no theological teaching in the school but I would be upset if they were taught it as the truth. I have let them attend church and they're at the age I'm letting them decide what to believe on their own. If they decide to be religious, I'll support them, if not, that's fine too but that's no reason to go on a crusade against all theological groups. 

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

No there isn't.

You might be confusing a legal term with a scientific one...

Improbable outcomes happen all the time in scientific research. To imply what you just did is laughable. 

No there isn't.

Improbable outcomes happen all the time in scientific research. To imply what you just did is laughable. 

Damon needs a pat on the back, have one buddy.  No-one knows why, but I think it will make you happy.  

No there isn't.

Damon needs a pat on the back, have one buddy.  No-one knows why, but I think it will make you happy.  

I kind of figured your argument would eventually devolve into this. 

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

No there isn't.

It's just another way of saying "if it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it's probably a duck". Except in reverse, since it's written as disproving something.

Doesn't seem like it's science or legal, just common sense at this point, albeit prettied up with fancy words. :P

No there isn't.

I kind of figured your argument would eventually devolve into this. 

haha, I am sure you did.  In all honesty, I just don't care too much.  

anyway Damon, what is your question? 

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    This thread has gotten way off topic, locking it.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.